Tampa Travels

by Meghann on October 17, 2010

1.5 hour drive to Tampa.

1 restless doggie who would not sit still in the car.

2 wrong turns.

Seeing Derek after two weeks a part: Priceless. πŸ™‚

I made it to Tampa in one piece this morning. Luckily, the drive is an easy one, especially when you don’t have to worry about rush hour traffic. πŸ˜‰

I was greeted with kisses, FSU Football (We won!!!), and fajitas sizzling on the stove top.

Not just any fajitas, these were VEGGIE fajitas. Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Mushrooms, and Onions all sizzling away with some packaged fajita seasoning mix.

I immediately made a plate of two fajitas on corn tortillas with black beans, veggies, and cheese.

Fantastic. Fajitas and College football? Totally the new thing.

And about that football? Yeah, I totally slept right through it.

I laid on the couch and just wanted to ‘rest my eyes’ for a few minutes. Two hours later I woke up to a new game and a puppy curled in my arms. Ooopsss…. At least they won. πŸ™‚ Go Noles!!

Post-nap fruit cup snack

Derek had been watching his Mom’s Maltese the past week. Her and Maddie were going a little stir crazy inside, so we decided to take them to the dog park.

This was Maggie – Derek’s Mom’s dog’s – first time at the dog park. She was a little unsure of her surroundings and pretty much stuck to Derek’s side the whole time. Even when he exited the park for a minute to purchase an ice cream, she waited for him by the gate and had made a few attempts to squeeze herself through the bars to go after him.

IMG_3191.jpg IMG_3192.jpg

Maddie on the other hand was great. There were plenty of dogs her size around and she had a ball sniffing, chasing and barking at the other dogs.

Derek had purchased an ice cream bar from a random ice cream truck near the park. I stole a bite or two. πŸ˜‰

When our plans for dinner fell through (next time, right Callie? πŸ˜‰ ) Derek and I hit up Whole Foods on the way home for inspiration. Well, turns out we were only inspired to recreate the meal we originally had intended to have with our original dinner plans. Why mess with a good idea right?

Plus, when you promise Derek steak, you better deliver on steak. πŸ˜‰

One problem: Derek doesn’t own a grill and neither of us are well versed in cooking said steak. Google to the rescue! After a quick search we were assured broiling the steak was the way to go. The directions were so simple, it almost seemed too easy.

Step 1: Turn oven broiler on and allow to pre-heat

Step 2: Place steaks on broiler pan and season with salt and pepper

Step 3: Place steaks 4 inches from broiler and cook 7 minutes on side one and 4 minutes on side two. (we had 1.5 in thick New York Strips)

While the steaks were broiling I got started on the potatoes.

We had 1/2 a dozen red potatoes that were quartered and pan fried on the stove top for 15 minutes. When the steaks were done the red potatoes were moved to the oven for 10 minutes at 425. They came out crispy on the outside and soft and squishy in the inside.

The steaks were a little more well done than I prefer – I like mine rare – but besides that the steak was tasty. Not bad for someone who finds the idea of grilling/broiling steaks a completely foreign concept. πŸ˜‰

My steak and potatoes were balanced out with a large, beautiful salad. This was a mix of arugula and spinach with apples, sauteed onions, and mushrooms.

The dressing was a homemade concoction I created on the fly.

Fig Preserves + Olive Oil + Balsamic Vinegar = Instant Homemade Dressing

IMG_3224.jpg

Cheers

IMG_3245.jpg

The Social Network

It was the spring of 2004 and I was in my friend Megan’s dorm room at UF the first time I saw Facebook. She told my brother and I about this cool new website where you connect with people from high school and around campus. Back then Facebook was being implemented at a school by school basis and it would be another couple of months until FSU would be added to the site.

Fast forward to November of that same year when my roommate Jordan and I both registered for Facebook for the first time. That night we were both up for HOURS friending classmates and old high school friends, while stalking people we wish we knew more about and could now learn.

I was an early adapter of Facebook. I’ve been on since year 1 and have seen it go through a zillion of changes over the years. I remember when people’s walls were actually a wall and you could completely take a friend’s wall over completely with what ever you had to say. I remember when they added the ability to upload photos for the first time. I remember when they opened it up to High Schoolers and then to the public. I remember when they first added the News Feed feature and the world went crazy thinking it was the end of Facebook, when really it was the beginning.

I’ve lived through it all and you know what? I keep coming back for more. In fact, as I type this I am simultaneously logged into my Facebook account checking everyone’s post-game day statuses. (Take that Gators! πŸ˜› )

When Derek and I saw The Social Network tonight all those Facebook memories came flooding back. Facebook played a large part in my college years and now plays a big part in my post-college years. If you’re a fan – like me- of the popular networking site, I would suggest checking it out.

I had read the book the movie is based off of (Accidental Billionaires) and found per Hollywood standards they over exaggerated everything from the book for the movie, but all the ideas and concepts are still there.

Business is a dirty, seedy world. The story of Facebook proves just that.

1 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 17, 2010 at 12:46 am

So glad that broiling steaks indeed turns out well – we aren’t allowed to have a grill at our apt. and the George Foreman just doesn’t do steaks justice. A must try!

I was urged and urged to try FB and I go back and forth with loving it and hating it. It is a great way though for me to easily keep up with my family who lives on the other side of the country.

2 Summer October 17, 2010 at 12:48 am

I so remember when you had ONE picture! And when they allowed whole albums, it was just a huge to-do. I think the sentence, “This will never top MySpace” actually came out of my mouth.

3 Amber from Girl with the Red Hair October 17, 2010 at 12:49 am

I really enjoyed the movie The Social Network but read a NY Times article where Mark Zuckerberg basically called it “fiction”. I could definitely see how Hollywood would big-time over exaggerate it but still a very interesting story nonetheless!

4 Kristina October 17, 2010 at 1:04 am

I also anxiously remember wanting to join this “Facebook” my friends on the east coast had access to but my small west coast school did not have yet….

Pretty unbelievable how much its changed since that time!
Kristina recently posted..Weekend

5 maria @ Chasing the Now October 17, 2010 at 1:52 am

I’ve been on Facebook since 2005, so it would be fun to see this movie. I’ll have to check it out when it makes it to Japan.
maria @ Chasing the Now recently posted..Six years have come and gone

6 jenny October 17, 2010 at 7:10 am

I would take some of the film with a grain of salt though. I’m a Harvard undergrad and their depiction of Harvard isn’t what I would call accurate. I’m gonna assume the rest of the movie is a little off too, ya know.

7 Meghann October 17, 2010 at 7:59 am

It’s Hollywood’s version of the film, of course it has to be taken with a grain of salt. πŸ™‚ The conversations and depictions maybe off, but a lot the timeline and some of the events are based on what really happened. I just find the whole thing interesting.

8 jenny October 17, 2010 at 11:01 am

Yeah for sure. I just think it’s funny how they present finals clubs. I felt like standing up in the theater and yelling, “This is not true!”

Haha! But I know what you mean how it’s all really interesting. Here at Harvard everyone can’t get over it…the movie has become the punch line for many a joke.

9 Lizzy October 17, 2010 at 7:34 am

That is my favorite Fig Jam brand ever! I love love love it!! I’m addicted!!!

10 Tabitha (From Single to Married) October 17, 2010 at 7:41 am

I only joined Facebook a couple of years ago and even now I use it maybe once a month. Just haven’t been able to get on board for some reason. That and Twitter – I have an account and I used it for my blog but that’s about it.

That said, I love being able to reconnect with friends from my past, that part is really cool.
Tabitha (From Single to Married) recently posted..7 Reasons You Should Move to Washington- DC

11 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice October 17, 2010 at 7:50 am

I love all the puppies!! I recently went to see The Social Network too. I really liked it and I thought the actors did a great job. I think I want to read the book too.

12 Lauren October 17, 2010 at 8:25 am

Sounds like a great day. I often sleep through football too, but there is just something about laying around on a weekend with good food and a good game.

I can’t wait to see Social Network. Thanks for the review.
Lauren recently posted..Walkers for Knockers

13 Elizabeth October 17, 2010 at 8:34 am

Those fajitas look great! How luck am I that today is grocery day… πŸ™‚

And I definitely want to see the Social Network movie. My freshman year roommate names Megan no less (the easy version of your name) at FSU convinced me to give it a try. I was so skeptical back when I thought Myspace was the be all and end all, but now it’s myspace who? I love facebook especially since it’s reconnected me with long lost friends.

14 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 17, 2010 at 9:02 am

I was around for FB since the beginning too. My friends and I did that same thing, staying up late in our apartment friending people and thinking it was a neat thing. I remember freaking out when they opened it to high schoolers. I was teaching high school at that point and it creeped me out that students would be on there. LOL Now I think its awesome everyone can get connected that way. I don’t use it often anymore (too caught up in blogs when I get computer time ;)).
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..i’m not crazy- i’m quirky!

15 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels October 17, 2010 at 9:16 am

MMMmm the fajitas and your dinner look soooo good. I’m drooling seriously at 6am over the morning. haha. I think it’s way too early for me, I thought the title said Tampon Travels?!!??! I think I need some more sleep. πŸ˜‰
Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels recently posted..Foodbuzz Festival 2010!

16 Aggie October 17, 2010 at 9:26 am

What a great day! I’m always taking naps during football, lol. I call it the 3rd quarter nap πŸ™‚ My team didn’t have such a great day (went to UF).

Your fajitas look amazing! And so does that salad…great dressing!! I’m making your butternut squash and apple soup today…and going to try that bread if I have everything I need…looking forward to a great fall lunch! Enjoy your Sunday!
Aggie recently posted..Grilled β€œStinger” Naan Pizzas

17 christina cadden October 17, 2010 at 9:47 am

Your dinner looks amazing!

18 Matt October 17, 2010 at 9:54 am

I remember joining Facebook when it first came out too. I kind of wish it was only college students. It is weird being friends with my parents πŸ˜‰
Matt recently posted..Spicy Turkey Burgers with Homemade Guacamole and Mexican Sweet Potato Fries

19 Laura October 17, 2010 at 10:46 am

I remember when I graduated from high school in 2005, one of the most exciting things about college acceptances was getting our official school email addresses so we could finally join Facebook, which we’d heard about all year. It’s crazy how much the website has evolved since it first began.

I really enjoyed The Social Network too. It’s an interesting story, and the movie was well cast and the writing was very smart. I haven’t read the book but can imagine where they took some liberties.

That dinner looks delicious!

20 Lydia Joy October 17, 2010 at 1:58 pm

That looks amazing! I think I’m going to possibly try and copy these meals!

21 Sana October 17, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I kinda wish fb was just between college ppl! But I guess bigger is always better!
Sana recently posted..Just in Case

22 Leah @ L4L October 17, 2010 at 5:26 pm

You seriously just saved my ass. We were just in the middle of grilling steaks and ran out of propane and since I read this earlier, I knew JUST what to do! They are still cooking so not sure how they will turn out but at least we have an easy cook method!
Leah @ L4L recently posted..Pumpkin Pancakes

23 Hope October 17, 2010 at 5:56 pm

I totally love Google for finding out how to cook stuff! Esp, if I buy some cool looking vegetable at the supermarket, then wonder how the heck to cook it!

I was quite a late joiner to Facebook, and actually resisted it as everyone in my close circle (in New Zealand) was on Bebo. These days I don’t check FB as often as I used to – some people put way Too Much Info in their status updates and it drives me nuts!
Hope recently posted..Tagged!

24 kate October 17, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Ah! I cant wait to see the movie!
kate recently posted..A simple dessert

25 Beth @ DiningAndDishing October 18, 2010 at 10:21 am

I just saw the Social Network last night and I totally loved it! It’s insane how quickly Facebook has revoluntionized the way we interact with eachother. The movie really made me stop and consider what was going on behind the scenes while we were all logging on for the first time a few years ago. Scandal!
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..Bright Lunch Idea

26 Brittany October 18, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I totally remember joining Facebook when it was first opened up to my college!!! And I too have endured all the changes! Everyone tells me you have so many photo albums and my response is I’ve been on FB for 6 years!!!! So looking forward to seeing The Social Network!