more ยป" />

Butternut Squash & Apple Soup

by Meghann on October 15, 2010

My baby girl has returned to me!

*Cue the music*

Reunited and it feels so good! Oh!

I’m so dramatic sometimes.

Le sigh.

I had another package waiting in my mailbox this afternoon. This one contained my second batch of winnings from Rebecca’s Bake Sale.

Six Red Velvet Cupcakes from the lovely Emily.

Here’s the photo of what I had bid on.

EmilysRedVelvetCupcakes_thumb.jpg

And here’s what was in the box.

I couldn’t help, but let out a little giggle when I opened the box. I mean they’re cupcakes! Of course they’re going to be a tricky one to ship. ๐Ÿ˜‰

But, trust me, that did not stop me from trying one.

The great Red Velvet flavor was still there. It was a moist, delicious cupcake… just slightly disfigured. Can’t win them all I guess.

Thanks Emily! They were still fab! ๐Ÿ™‚

I could not wait to get my hands in the kitchen this afternoon. I wanted to cook a real meal. From scratch. In my own kitchen. See, this is my idea of relaxing after a week away.

My little brother and his girlfriend Ashley – yes, ladies my shirtless little brother is taken – were kind enough to drive Maddie up from my parents’ house. I wanted to thank them with a good meal.

Butternut squash was on my mind and after a quick trip to the store, I settled on the idea of a Butternut Squash and Apple Soup – the perfect fall meal for a slightly cool Florida autumn evening.

Butternut Squash & Apple Soup

• 1 medium Butternut Squash
  • 2 Apples
  • 1/2 Red Onion
  • 2 tablespoons minced Garlic
  • 2 cups Vegetable Broth
  • 1 cup Water
  • 1 cup Almond Milk
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Cinnamon
  • Parsly
  1. Peel and cube the butternut squash and Apple, add both to a large pot and let them sweat for a few minutes on medium high heat.
  2. Add the red onion, and garlic IMG_3001.JPG
  3. Next the broth, milk, water, and seasoningsIMG_3010.JPG
  4. Bring to a boil, then to a simmer for 2 hoursIMG_3055.JPG
  5. When ready blend until silky smooth.   IMG_3058.JPG IMG_3060.JPG

While the soup was simmering I got the brilliant idea to bake some fresh bread to go with it.

The Dill Batter Bread Recipe came courtesy from the Bake for the Cure Cookbook.

In case you missed it I will be baking a couple of recipes from Bake for the Cure Cookbook each week to help raise breast cancer awareness during the month of October. I was sent the cookbook and some ACH products in exchange for my involvement. This is a great cause and I highly suggest you check out the Bake for the Cure website for more baking inspiration then I would probably ever provide. ๐Ÿ˜‰

This particular recipe involved a very scary bread ingredient: yeast. Yikes!

Yeast? Isn’t that usually a death sentence when it comes to homemade bread? I mean, that’s when things get complicated, right?

However, the recipe was pretty basic and involved an interesting twist with the yeast. Instead of dumping the yeast into a separate bowl with warm water, the recipe instructed that I add the packet to a portion of the flour and seasonings. Then a mix of warm butter and water was added to the dry combination. It was an interesting technique that was new to me, but seemed to be a simple one to master.

In no time I had dough.

And 45 minutes of rising and 45 minutes of baking later I had bread.

I modified the original recipe slightly by replacing 1/2 of the all purpose flour with spelt flour.

It smelled soooo good coming out of the oven. The bread itself was dense and well seasoned. It almost reminded all of us of the Cheddar Garlic Biscuits they serve at Red Lobster. It was very well seasoned bread and tasted absolutely delicious hot out of the oven.

When all was said and done I had a fabulous homemade meal that was so good it made me want to cry. I think Ben and Ashley enjoyed it too!

After dinner the three of us headed to the movie theater for a light hearted comedy.

life-as-we-know-it-poster.jpg

Life As We Know It was probably about as predictable of a movie as they come, but it made me laugh. It’s was cute and a movie I would high recommend it as a fun, escape from reality.

Oddly enough my favorite person in the movie was the red head from Mad Men (Christina Hendricks). She looks completely different when she’s not decked out in 50s costume wear or all dolled up for an award show. She really is a gorgeous actress and that beauty shines through on the big screen.

Screen shot 2010-10-15 at 11.43.14 PM.png

Guess what just opened next door to the movie theater?!?!

Menchie’s!! Now there’s one 5 minutes away instead of 30. Score!

Even better. They had PUMPKIN!

I had a small mix of Pumpkin, Peanut Butter, and Cake Batter with Chocolate Chips, Kit Kat, Graham Cracker Crumbs, and a Vanilla Wafer.

Whoa. That was a long one!

I’m off to bed now.

Good Night!

1 Tabitha (From Single to Married) October 16, 2010 at 12:25 am

Christina Hendricks is one of my favorites from Mad Men too – she’s fantastic as Joan! btw, love red velvet and those cupcakes look good even after the messy trip!
Tabitha (From Single to Married) recently posted..Leonardo Is a Stud

2 Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 16, 2010 at 12:45 am

Between the red velvet cupcakes and the froyo.. talk about a good night!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..The Rest Day That Wasnโ€™t

3 Thetreadmilldiaries October 16, 2010 at 1:11 am

The soup and bread look De-li-cious. And boy your doggie is cute.
Thetreadmilldiaries recently posted..Iโ€™m Inspired Are You

4 VeggieGirl October 16, 2010 at 1:35 am

Aww, that photo of you and Maddie is so precious! ๐Ÿ™‚
VeggieGirl recently posted..VG &amp Suave Slav Return To The Dance Floor Featuring Before &amp After Photos!

5 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) October 16, 2010 at 1:52 am

Sounds like a great evening!! I’ve got to make that soup!!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..On My Way to a Six-Pack

6 Heather October 16, 2010 at 2:25 am

Props to you, that meal looks fantastic. I’m super impressed by the homemade bread!
Heather recently posted..Quiet Friday Night Blogging to the Rescue!

7 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat October 16, 2010 at 2:27 am

So glad that you are back with Maddie!! I bet she missed you lots ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m really jealous of all the frozen yogurt shops near you. The only one we have is about 30 minutes away from me. Maybe I just need to move somewhere warmer!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..The Cold That Never Ends

8 Lauren October 16, 2010 at 6:50 am

Awww, that’s so sad about the cupcakes. But the stomach sees no ugly so I’m sure they tasted just as good! ๐Ÿ™‚ Gosh, lucky you that a fro-yo place opened up next door. That would be dangerous for me. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Lauren recently posted..Hartford Weekend Away

9 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) October 16, 2010 at 8:03 am

So sad about the cupcakes! Good thing a little smooshiness doesn’t change the taste!

My dad always makes a butternut and apple soup by ina gaarten and it’s delicious… you should try her recipe. she uses some curry powder and apple juice and it’s really amazing!

10 Allie October 16, 2010 at 8:52 am

Everything looks very, very yummy! I wonder what the temperature for a cool fall evening in Florida is? Here in Pittsburgh, our cool fall evenings are 50 degrees hahah!
Allie recently posted..And dinner wasโ€ฆ

11 Meghan October 16, 2010 at 8:57 am

I love that they opened a Menchie’s next door! The one on Sand Lake is so teeny I feel like I am dodging people and have to wait forever for things (I am very impatient!).

I think I am going to have to try the bread recipe, with the Pumpkin Butter soup recipe from Trader Joes.
Meghan recently posted..Wedding Planning- Event Planning and Running Pure Craziness

12 Food & Other Things October 16, 2010 at 9:16 am

I know what you mean about baking with yeast I’m terrified of it, I’m glad your bread turned out well! Sounds like a great fall meal!
Food & Other Things recently posted..Weekend Snapshot- TV

13 Matt October 16, 2010 at 9:19 am

Yeast scares me too. I am not a baker!
Matt recently posted..Pumpkin Pecan Muffins

14 christina cadden October 16, 2010 at 9:26 am

Your soup looks amazing!

15 Courtney Moore October 16, 2010 at 9:36 am

Bring a Menchie’s to Texas!
Courtney Moore recently posted..Todays Workout

16 Aggie October 16, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Thanks for sharing the soup recipe…I just came home with a butternut squash from Publix yesterday and wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with it. That bread looks amazing! I’m intimidated by yeast…but I think I will make this entire meal…along with the roasted brussel sprouts! it’s all yum!!

17 Heather October 16, 2010 at 3:05 pm

bummer about the cupcakes! they looked delicious in the first picture haha!
I LOVE menchies. must go this week and get pumpkin!
Heather recently posted..14 Miles and a Party

18 Shannon, Tropical Eats October 16, 2010 at 3:34 pm

sad about those cupcakes and your brother being taken!!!! dang it.. i was gonna say he looked gewddd before ahahah.

Wish there was a Menchies around here! I swear there are no Fro Yo places in Clearwater.. SADNESS
Shannon, Tropical Eats recently posted..Seasons Are Changing

19 Emily (aka the horrible cupcake shipper!) October 16, 2010 at 6:55 pm

OH
MY
GOD

I’m so sorry the cupcakes turned into a complete disaster!! I thought for SURE I had a fool-proof plan (after several weeks of internet research.) I’m glad they still tasted good. Ay yi yi . Sorry, Ms Meghan!

My vow to you – we SHALL meet someday and I will present you with the most glorious looking cupcakes you’ve ever SEEN.

Much love!

20 Amy October 16, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Your soup looks so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

And yeast always seems so intimidating, doesn’t it? But it’s so, so worth it. I absolutely love baking bread. I think homemade soup and bread are the perfect way to unwind after a long week of travel!
Amy recently posted..saturday best