Room Service

by Meghann on October 14, 2010

I made a new friend in the gym this morning.

1013.jpeg

(source)

Mr. Foam Roller,

I know I really, really need to purchase your brother when I get home (when I find the time!), but for now our little rendezvous in the hotel gym will have to do. ;)

<3 Meghann

My garmin had died after my run yesterday and I was too lazy to run outside this morning. It was dark, I was scared, and the hotel gym had weights calling my name. You know how it goes.

I took to the treadmill for a 3 mile run and felt surprisingly awesome. I started out at 6.0, but was feeling so good that by the last half mile I was at 7.5 and felt like I could go longer. BUT, I didn’t want to push my legs to hard so soon after my marathon, so I jumped off and did about 10 minutes of free weights before finding the foam roller hidden on a shelf.

Foam rolling – hurts so bad, but feels so good. I rolled my IT bands, calves, and quads. Must purchase my own at home ASAP!

After the gym I did something I’ve never done before, but have always wanted to.

I ordered room service.

Awwww… room service. The perfect cure to my “i need to shower, pack, blog, and get to work before 9:00″ conundrum.

I ordered pancakes, hopped in the shower, and was in the process of ironing when I heard a knock at the door.

Hello huge stack of pancakes! I ordered blueberry with bacon on the side.

Too much food. I nixed one pancake and two of the slices of bacon. Much better.

I love to explore and try new restaurants when I travel, but sometimes room service is just a necessity. :)

Gotta run! I get to see Maddie tonight. This makes me VERY happy. :)

1 Sarah @ Sarah's Shaping Up October 14, 2010 at 9:06 am

I LOVE foam rollers! Definitely a piece of equipment that doesn’t get enough credit!
And the pancakes look delish!
Sarah @ Sarah’s Shaping Up recently posted..Blogger of the year Not quite

2 Tabitha (From Single to Married) October 14, 2010 at 9:17 am

I’m impressed you were able to go to the gym this morning after your fiasco with the seafood buffet yesterday! :)
Tabitha (From Single to Married) recently posted..Leonardo Is a Stud

3 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 14, 2010 at 9:22 am

You should do a post all about foam rolling (unless you did and I missed it). I’ve never tried foam rolling before.
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving!

4 Elizabeth October 14, 2010 at 11:00 am

I agree with Samantha. I don’t really understand what foam rolling is. a post about it would be much appreciated.

5 RunningOnCoffee October 14, 2010 at 11:01 am
6 sweetersalt October 14, 2010 at 9:23 am

Room service feels so special! I remember being on my first business trip in Denver. I had a really long, tough day and came back to the hotel and order chips with salsa and guacamole for dinner. Just what the doctor ordered, along with a cushy white robe and a bath!

Laura
sweetersalt recently posted..Pumpkin Risotto with Parmesan and Sage

7 Matt October 14, 2010 at 9:26 am

I would be nothing without my foam roller. Love it :)
Matt recently posted..Scrambled Eggs with Brie and Pesto

8 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) October 14, 2010 at 9:26 am

if i could get pancakes on demand, there’s no way i would pass that opportunity up!
Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) recently posted..TIA- Home Improvement

9 Alicia October 14, 2010 at 9:27 am

I love room service! Way to treat yourself :)

What type of dog is Oliver? He is adorable! Next to Maddie of course!

10 Smash @ Appreciate The Now October 14, 2010 at 9:34 am

People swear by the foam roller — never tried it.
Smash @ Appreciate The Now recently posted..Sweets For My Sweetie

11 Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit October 14, 2010 at 9:43 am

I think my foam roller heard it’s brothers from here because it just muffled a squeal of delight from the corner of the room – I guess I’ve been neglecting mine and will have to give it a little lovin’ tonight. Thanks for the reminder!

Also, room service = love. I ordered a room service breakfast for the first time last month and agree, it was HEAVENLY!

12 Kathryn October 14, 2010 at 9:48 am

Room service always makes me feel SO fancy! (Even if I just get a burger). I love it.
Kathryn recently posted..Nerding Out

13 Exercise and Eat October 14, 2010 at 10:00 am

Room service is a fun treat! You deserve it:)
Exercise and Eat recently posted..Sew-Ken-BEACH-Ah Give-A-Way

14 Manon October 14, 2010 at 10:06 am

Best $20 I ever spent was on my foam roller…..I love him so much I named him Frank :)
Manon recently posted..Breaking Boys- The Douchebag Strikes Again

15 Leah @ L4L October 14, 2010 at 10:19 am

I can’t say no to bacon.

16 RunningOnCoffee October 14, 2010 at 10:22 am

I’ve heard “The Stick” is pretty amazing too. Have not used it, but a friend got one. I would love something like that for my calves after skiing…

I need to get a foam roller! I think it would work well for my feet too. Sometimes after a long run it feels nice to roll my feet over something, and lately that something has been a tennis ball because it’s cheap and we already have it.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..ifitness neoprene double pouch- First Impressions

17 Amanda (Eating Up) October 14, 2010 at 10:23 am

I’ve always wanted to order room service too! The pancakes look great!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Save Up- Amazon’s Subscribe &amp Save

18 Rebekah @Rebeltarian October 14, 2010 at 10:30 am

Those pancakes look sinful! I love it when they have crispy edges like that!

19 Corey @ The Runner's Cookie October 14, 2010 at 10:37 am

The foam roller and I are BFF! Such a miracle worker on those muscles!! I use one at my gym when I go, but I really would like to purchase my own for right after running.

20 Biz October 14, 2010 at 10:38 am

Ordering room service is one of my favorite things to do – even though it costs 4 times what food normally should!

Have a safe trip home!
Biz recently posted..Perfect Scalloped Potatoes

21 Shanna, like Banana October 14, 2010 at 10:38 am

Good for you!

Those pancakes look mighty tasty right now especially since I’m in a bad mood..grr
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..Pumpkin recipes and another review

22 Kelly October 14, 2010 at 10:56 am

I love ordering room service! Sometimes you just have to!
Kelly recently posted..Rainy Days and Tuesday’s Bring Me Down

23 Alison (Ali on the Run) October 14, 2010 at 11:03 am

Mmmmm room service is the best! It’s the best part of work travel!

I definitely need to learn how to use a foam roller. People rave about it and I’m literally clueless when it comes to knowing what to do with it. A how-to post sometime would be awesome!
Alison (Ali on the Run) recently posted..8 Hours- and It Felt So Good

24 Rachel October 14, 2010 at 11:18 am

I got a foam roller for my birthday last month and it’s amazing! I had tried one in a yoga class a few times before. Something about that painful massage is just so wonderful!
I like the firmer roller. You can order them on Amazon for not that much. Get one!
Rachel recently posted..Squash Smoothie

25 Sarah for Real October 14, 2010 at 11:19 am

I love room service! It’s so nice and easy when you’re in a new-to-you location. Ahhh, stress free.

I don’t really like pancakes and now the only thing I can think about are blueberry pancakes. Sooo…. thanks?

26 Katrina October 14, 2010 at 11:27 am

Foam rollers are the best thing since peanut butter. And apparently, the different colors mean different strengths or “give”to the roller, but I grabbed the first one I could find and it works wonders for IT band issues
Breakfast looks heavenly!

27 Kathryn October 14, 2010 at 11:29 am

I absolutely HATE foam rolling. It is the bane of my existence. Congrats for doing it. Every time I go into the running store I tell myself, “Ok, you’re walking out of here with a roam roller.” And then, I don’t buy one.

Next time, I swear.
Kathryn recently posted..Perverse Techno Remix

28 Angela October 14, 2010 at 11:30 am

So many people knock room service but your pancakes look amazing.

I love the foam roller too but don’t use it nearly enough. I definitely need to incorporate it more into my stretching, I feel like it would improve my running immensely.
Angela recently posted..Just One of the Guys

29 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) October 14, 2010 at 11:38 am

I love my foam roller. Yeah, it does hurt, but it is a good hurt!!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..On My Way to a Six-Pack

30 Anna S. October 14, 2010 at 11:47 am

Ordering room service on a cruise is the best because it is already paid for!!

A hotel I stayed at in Philadelphia (Loew’s) had an entire room service menu for PETS!! Even cats.

31 Brenna (fabuleuxdestin) October 14, 2010 at 11:52 am

Now craving pancakes!!!

32 Heather October 14, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I was telling my husband yesterday I have never had room service and want to get it on our cruise! looks fab!
Heather recently posted..I Heart Mexican Food

33 Ali October 14, 2010 at 12:55 pm

My husband and I ordered room service so often on our honeymoon. We would eat it while getting ready it would cut the time in half. Brilliant!

I bet you are super excited to see Maddy! I can’t imagine how much you miss her.
Ali recently posted..Believe

34 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 14, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I hate getting pancakes away from home because they ALWAYS give you too much. I feel like they sit in me like a lump!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..return of the crunchmaster GIVEAWAY

35 Lisa October 14, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I love my foam roller. It’s one of the best things I’ve ever bought!
Lisa recently posted..I’ll Take a Case of Wine Please

36 Megan October 14, 2010 at 2:19 pm

My foam roller saved me after my half marathon! It hurts, but in a good way! PS: I was wondering if you’re still planning to do your period post. I’ve experienced the same issues!

37 Meghann October 14, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I wrote something, but am still shy about pressing publish. Maybe I can send a copy to you and you can give your honest feedback?

38 Megan October 14, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Absolutely. I agree, it is a tricky thing to discuss publicly. But I’d be happy to give you my thoughts!

39 Clare @ Fitting It All In October 14, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I’ve only ever used a foam roller at the gym too, but desperately want to purchase one! Miss Fitnessista is having a OpenSky promo on them soon!:)

Also your blueberry pancakes look tdf. I had one a few weeks ago from a hole in the wall in St. Pete’s. Hit.The.Spot.
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Fear of Peanut Butter

40 Margo October 14, 2010 at 8:57 pm

My foam roller is amazing! I just learned about it a few months ago as I started my marathon training. I’m getting ready to do my 4th marathon, and this is the first time I haven’t had knee troubles as my milage increased. I attribute it all to the foam roller!!

41 maria @ Chasing the Now October 14, 2010 at 11:44 pm

I got my bellybutton pierced when I went through a rebellious stage in high school, but took it out after a few months. I was pretty chunky in high school and it really didn’t suit me.

I LOVE Jimmy John’s. It is one of the things I really miss while we are in Japan and we make sure to eat it when we visit back home. My favorite thing about it is that it’s just simple food. Nothing fancy, but it tastes great.

42 Allie October 16, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I want those pancakes!! Breakfast room service rocks. :) Just wondering: How come you start your blog by saying you’ve never ordered room service, then go on to say “I love to explore and try new restaurants when I travel, but sometimes room service is just a necessity.” with such experience and authority. I’m not trying to nit-pick, it just diminished your credibility.