Seafood Buffet = Bad Idea

by Meghann on October 13, 2010

So, here’s the deal.

I’m in the process of registering for the The Palm Beaches Marathon on Dec. 5. It’s a cheap, local marathon with a flat course and a great sponsor (I <3 Publix!). A fellow Chicago Marathon runner had actually e-mailed me asking me if I wanted to run and I couldn’t resist saying yes.

Yes, I think it’s crazy, but I also think it’s doable. With the proper training schedule I think I can do this. I’m still finalizing my plan and goal, but promise to have more details on Monday! πŸ˜‰

In the mean time I need to concentrate on other things, like work and eating while traveling for work.

I took a break from the convention center for lunch this afternoon and headed to the first hole in the wall place I found by the hotel.

IMAG0260.jpg

Cute & local, but with a very limited meat, lettuce, & tomato menu.

IMAG0261.jpg

I ordered some grub and it took it beachside to consume.

IMAG0262.jpg

A plain and simple turkey, lettuce, tomato, and mustard on a salt bagel with a pickle and potato salad.

IMAG0263.jpg

I have a soft spot for salt bagels. They remind me of salt sticks, love them.

IMAG0264.jpg

IMAG0266.jpg

I was setting up my booth this afternoon when someone came up to me and asked if my name was Meghann. I said yes and immediately got a ‘OMG, I love your blog!’ Ha! love when that happens. πŸ™‚

Turns out that someone is named Anna and Anna works for the organization that is putting on the big event. Small world, right? Anna is looking to qualify for Boston in a couple of weeks ( You’ve got it girl!), so we spent a good time discussing marathons and our thoughts on different races. I think I almost have her talked in to running Chicago next year. πŸ˜‰

Nice to meet you Anna! Seriously, small world!

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

I spent the afternoon talking to current clients, potential clients, and trying to sound like I know what I’m talking about. I got this shiz. πŸ˜‰

Peanut Butter Chocolate Larabarars make for an excellent booth snack.

IMAG0271.jpg

So, does Sam Adams Octoberfest.

IMAG0275.jpg

I realized earlier this afternoon I never had a real post-marathon celebration beer. (not counting the 2 sips I almost spit out right after I crossed the finish line. πŸ˜‰ ) My co-worker had no problems talking me into a drink during our afternoon break. It was smooth and satisfying.

When we returned to the show a cart had been set up with fruit, cheese, and crackers. I had a small plate with a little taste of everything.

IMAG0276.jpg

My co-workers and I were on our own for dinner. We wanted something easy that was within walking distance of our hotel. We found a seafood place right down the street that seemed like a good idea at the time.

As soon a we walked in and realized it was a buffet, I had a gut feeling it wasn’t such a good idea.

Buffets and I are not friends. The idea of food sitting out for such long periods of time, eeks me out. Just thinking about it makes my stomach churn. However, they had a big seafood selection and that’s what my co-workers were after.

I made a big plate of salad from the salad bar.

But I’m pretty sure I went wrong with the pile of shellfish I had as well.

Ice cream cone for dessert.

IMG_3127.jpg

I was feeling good until we got back to the hotel and then I immediately headed to the bathroom. Ughhh….. buffet seafood was a bad idea. Very, very, bad idea!

I learned my lesson here. Just say No. Always say no.

1 Melissa October 13, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I usually skip a buffet if I can avoid it. Hope you’re feeling better!
Melissa recently posted..Penn State Trip Part 2

2 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) October 13, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Buffets gross me out. Sorry, I had to say it. I’m sorry you’re not feeling so hot now — there’s something really disgusting about food sitting out and people putting their hands in to serve themselves. Ugh. πŸ˜•
Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) recently posted..Beige isn’t always bad

3 Exercise and Eat October 13, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Booooo! Feel better:) Think about your salt bagel!
Exercise and Eat recently posted..Sew-Ken-BEACH-Ah Give-A-Way

4 Katrina October 13, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I just got back from the beach and I miss the food! I tried all kinds of yummy things, but I did steer clear of the buffet. On the other hand, there was a lot of fried food πŸ™
Congratulations on the marathon! What a great date for a race.
Katrina recently posted..BEACH!! The food

5 Dori October 13, 2010 at 9:50 pm

I’m so sorry you’re feeling sick πŸ™ So something similar happened to me today. My work phone rings and I can see on the screen it is an internal call from inside my building. I answered and the woman on the other end asked me if I just ran the Divas Half Marathon. I said yes and she told me she found my blog while searching for running songs because she is training for the Philly Marathon. She read my blog bio and thought that the big bank I said I worked at might be the same as hers, so she looked me up and called me!
Dori recently posted..Half Marathon Playlist-Share Your Running Songs

6 mary October 13, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Oh man… That is why I never do a buffet. EVER.

Hope you feel better!
mary recently posted..Chicago part 4–The day after

7 alison October 13, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Oh no, I hope you feel better soon!
alison recently posted..Honey Bun

8 Derek October 13, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Nice vegas hotels have good seafood buffets. Anywhere else, wouldn’t touch them. I have no idea how Long John Silvers is still in business. Fast food seafood? so wrong…

9 Dori October 13, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I’m actually a sucker for a Whole Foods hot bar.
Dori recently posted..Half Marathon Playlist-Share Your Running Songs

10 Michele October 13, 2010 at 10:12 pm

So sorry….I ALWAYS think buffets are bad – they eek me out like they eek you out!!! And seafood? Oh my….so sorry!

11 RunningOnCoffee October 13, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Your bagel sandwich looks delicious. Makes me want a chicken salad with lettuce & tomato on an everything wheat bagel from my favorite local bagel shop!

I am jealous of your ability to drink a beer while at work! I’m in the wrong field.

Sweet potato fries on your plate look good. I’m always wary of food that has been sitting out too. Whether it be buffets… or food set out on a big table at conferences. Hope you feel better soon!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..ifitness neoprene double pouch- First Impressions

12 Sarah for Real October 13, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Oh noooo! I hope you feel better soon.

Buffets are all about quantity, NOT quality. I cannot understand WHY people want to stuff themselves with mediocre food. And they’re not cheap either! Lose-lose.

13 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 13, 2010 at 10:25 pm

I kept nodding my head throughout this post. Been there. Done that.

Recently on vacation with my friends, they REALLY wanted to eat at an Italian place, but me and Italian do not get a long – at all. So I decided to casually suggest something else – it ended up working. My new goal recently is to become a bit more assertive instead of always giving into what the crowd wants.

14 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 13, 2010 at 10:44 pm

oh no – hope you feel better soon!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..She runs- she talks- but she still needs to do her taxes!

15 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice October 13, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Honestly, that bagel looks better than the seafood. Hope you feel better!

16 Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 13, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Buffets and I are so NOT friends either..
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..The Rest Day That Wasn’t

17 SaraRM October 13, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Ya…… that happens! πŸ™

I use to LOVE buffets as a kid but now just the thought, BLAH!!! NO thank you. Hope you feel better tomorrow!

18 ida October 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Ugh, sorry you got sick. Hope you feel better in the morning. I don’t think running another full is crazy at all. I think you have just enough time to recover and gear up for a strong race.

19 Marina October 14, 2010 at 1:23 am

i’m sorry that you got sick πŸ™ I hope everything is ok now!
Marina recently posted..a good day with a bad end

20 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) October 14, 2010 at 3:09 am

oh noooooo!!! yeah, seafood buffets scare me too. feel better!!!
Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) recently posted..TIA- Home Improvement

21 Carla @ 32down15tog October 14, 2010 at 3:16 am

You may be my running idol! My hat is off to you!

…and yes, Seafood + Buffets = terrible idea. Someone once told me that adding a tablespoon of baking soda to 8 ounces of room temp. water is a good way to start the “healing process” after a potential food poisioning!

Hope you feel better!!

22 Nicole October 14, 2010 at 3:43 am

I was always taught not to mix dairy and seafood and the one time I didn’t listen I got sick, so maybe it was the ice cream and crab combo and not simply the buffet?

23 Samantha October 14, 2010 at 3:57 am

I know exactly the places you’re going…my family lives just north of MB in Sunset (NC). I don’t know if you have transportation other than your feet or not but Grapevine in Calabash, about 30 mins or so north of you is excellent.

24 Brenna (fabuleuxdestin) October 14, 2010 at 5:56 am

That bagel sammie looks SOOOO good!! I miss bagels!
Brenna (fabuleuxdestin) recently posted..β€˜rogi night

25 Tabitha (From Single to Married) October 14, 2010 at 6:20 am

I’m with you – while I love fish, it sometimes scares me depending on where I buy it. I usually will only eat it from reputable restaurants which of course means it’s a lot more expensive!
Tabitha (From Single to Married) recently posted..Leonardo Is a Stud

26 Lauren October 14, 2010 at 6:55 am

Oh no! Seafood Buffets and Chinese Buffets are never a good idea. Now Breakfast buffets are usually a whole different story. I wish more places offered a breakfast buffet any time of the day.

Good luck on this next big race adventure! I’m always behind you 100%!
Lauren recently posted..Hartford Weekend Away

27 Alison (Ali on the Run) October 14, 2010 at 7:50 am

Ugh, in high school my friends and I LOVED the local Chinese buffet. I can’t even think about it now without squirming. Hope you’re feeling better today!
Alison (Ali on the Run) recently posted..8 Hours- and It Felt So Good

28 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 14, 2010 at 7:53 am

Ugh, seafood is just one of those things that HAS to be eaten fresh. At least you got a good ice cream cone!! πŸ™‚
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..More Of One

29 Lee October 14, 2010 at 8:01 am

Buffets scare me too. The food seems to be under those heat lamps for a really long time.
Lee recently posted..Running Plateau

30 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 14, 2010 at 8:22 am

Yikes! A seafood buffet can definitely be dangerous
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving!

31 Jamie @ Food in Real Life October 14, 2010 at 8:37 am

Ick. I’ve been sick from a seafood buffet before (i spent most of the evening in the bathroom on a romantic weekend away with my boyfriend!!) embarrassing!

We’re married now, so I guess it all worked out in the end.

Feel better!
Jamie @ Food in Real Life recently posted..An apple a day…

32 Heather @ Side of Sneakers October 14, 2010 at 8:47 am

Aww. And not just a seafood buffet….calabash seafood buffet- those are the worst for my stomach!

33 Stacey October 14, 2010 at 8:49 am

You’ll rock the marathon. I once signed up for a marathon two days after finishing one – it was four weeks away. I already had the training base and basically repeated the last four weeks of my training. I PR’ed! Good luck…

34 Caitlin October 14, 2010 at 9:00 am

I love seafood buffets! lol. Well atleast one. In North Myrtle Beach, there is this great seafood buffet called Benjamins. Not at all your typical buffet. so good!

Also, that salt bagel looks yummy!

35 Juli D. October 14, 2010 at 9:24 am

My H is running his 2nd marathon this weekend, he ran his 1st about 7 weeks ago. He talked to a lot of marathoners and they all said doing one after the other really isn’t that big of a deal. He took a week off of running completely because we were on vacation, and then ran a couple times a week and did a few long runs (10 miles, 12 miles, 16 miles, 20 miles) and that’s it! Good luck – you’ll be just fine!
Juli D. recently posted..Off the TV Grid

36 Ashlee (AshandLewPlus2) October 14, 2010 at 10:35 am

I have been to Myrtle Beach several times when I was growing up and for some reason everyone wants to go the the Calabash Buffet…but much like you I always get sick!!
Ashlee (AshandLewPlus2) recently posted..Snow…

37 Elizabeth October 14, 2010 at 11:07 am

I love the Belagio buffet in Las Vegas and Whole Foods hot bar, but I’d say that’s about it.
Elizabeth recently posted..Sick Day

38 Sohara October 14, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Oh, no! Seafood buffets…oh, theoretically it’s a good idea–as much seafood as you like (or as little as you like, which is great when you don’t want to be faced with a humongous pile of food on your plate), but…you’re right; I never thought about the length of time buffet food sits out. Before I went (mostly) vegan, my graduate acting class would head to a Chinese buffet whose main attraction was the man with a microphone calling out to the kitchen whenever a selection was empty, and I finally made the connection between the horrible stomachaches and the buffet visits. Ugh!

Just say no. Absolutely. Because it’s never, ever as good as it looks or smells.

39 Ali October 14, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Ugh, I hate that feeling, I can see where it would go drong. Seafood it not meant to be sitting out. Your ice cream did look good though.

Good job on picking the Octoberfest- my favorite beer of all time πŸ™‚
Ali recently posted..Believe

40 Robyn October 14, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I LOVE salt bagels — they’re like morning pretzels! So yummy! πŸ˜€
Robyn recently posted..Climb on

41 Michelle October 14, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Sorry you are feeling bad. I was in Myrtle in Aug, saw the Calabash Seafood place but didn’t go. Did go to Crabby Mike’s and it’s buffet and I wont be going back. I think the best places to eat in Myrtle is in the Murrell’s Inlet area.

42 Lisa October 14, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I don’t think I will ever go to a seafood buffet. It just sounds sooo gross to me!
Lisa recently posted..I’ll Take a Case of Wine Please