Myrtle Beach

by Meghann on October 12, 2010

Hello from Myrtle Beach!!

IMG_3110.jpg

Yes, it’s touristy and Yes, there’s nothing but hotels everywhere you turn, but that doesn’t stop the water from being pretty.

I <3 the beach!

Before my flight this afternoon I had just enough time to throw together some left overs from last night’s dinner to make a very tasty meal for lunch.

I layered raw kale, roasted acorn squash, and bean & corn salsa in a flat bowl then microwaved the combination for 2 minutes. I finished it off with some blue cheese.

I know I said yesterday that blue cheese makes everything taste better, well I lied. Turns out salsa AND blue cheese makes everything better. 😉

I officially joined the frequent flier program at my favorite parking lot near the airport. They were able to retro-actively add the last two times I parked there to my card and it turns out I’ll earn two free days of parking next week. I also earned a parking spot up front. Score!

I also got a window seat on the plane. 🙂

And had some chips.

Not sure why these are labeled sweet potato. They taste like regular tortilla chips to me.

I had a 30 minute lay over in Charlotte, which gave me just enough time to stop here.

And got this. 😉

It felt strange to be so close to all my lovely Charlotte friends, yet so far. I waved to each and everyone from the plane though. Hi Friends!

I landed safely in Myrtle Beach just after 5:00, dropped my stuff off at the hotel, and had just enough time to put my feet in the water before I was ready for dinner.

IMG_2870.jpg

I walked to a hole in the wall seafood joint down the street from my hotel and ordered the blackened fish of the day with mixed veggies, hush puppies and coleslaw.

It was spicy! 🙂

I’m zonked! Time for some Glee and sleep.

I’m going to try and go for my first post-marathon run tomorrow. My legs feel great and I can’t resist running along the beach. I plan to keep it short (3-4 miles) and will listen to my legs. If they need to stop, then I’ll stop. No need to push it!

Oh, one more thing!

Dessert. 🙂

Good Night!

1 Kelly October 12, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Loveee the beach! Looks like it’s still gorgeous there!
Kelly recently posted..Rainy Days and Tuesday’s Bring Me Down

2 Julie @ Wearing Mascara October 12, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Glad you landed safely. I always hate flying through cities where people I love are – it’s hard! Waving is always great though 🙂
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..Three weddings and lots o’ cake

3 Exercise and Eat October 12, 2010 at 8:31 pm

The water is beautiful:) Enjoy your time in Myrtle Beach!
Exercise and Eat recently posted..The Baking Urge

4 Melissa October 12, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Nice!

I grew up going to Myrtle Beach almost anually. I do love barefoot landing and broadway on the beach.
Melissa recently posted..Staten Island Half Marathon

5 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat October 12, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Looks like a beautiful area! I’ve never been to Myrtle Beach, and I’d love to see the beach right now–no matter how touristy it is!

Is that a tattoo of a snowflake on your foot? What inspired you to get that? (I’m always interested to know tattoo stories–I’d love to get one someday, but I don’t know what I’d get!).
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Cool Down

6 Meghann October 12, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Yes, it’s a tatto! I blogged about it here http://mealsandmiles.com/2008/10/29/treat-week/ 🙂

7 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat October 12, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Thanks! I tried searching “tattoo” in your search form and it didn’t find any posts. But now I’ll go read that post!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Cool Down

8 christina cadden October 12, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I love Myrtle beach.

9 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice October 12, 2010 at 8:40 pm

The water IS very pretty! By the way, that Twilight Delight is my favorite Ghiradelli Square. 🙂

10 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. October 12, 2010 at 8:42 pm

I ditto Chelsea…I’d love to hear the story behind the tat! 🙂
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..it’s a national holiday and I still had to work

11 Liz @ LBBakes October 12, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Ah, Myrtle Beach used to be THE place to go when I was younger! Must be a bit quieter this time of year?
Liz @ LBBakes recently posted..Candy Corn Whipped Cream Frosting and Cupcakes

12 Derek October 12, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Why are you at the beach without me? I don’t approve.

13 The Wife of a Dairyman October 12, 2010 at 8:44 pm

The photo of the water is just beautiful! Enjoy your time:)

14 Lauren October 12, 2010 at 8:45 pm

We use to go to Myrtle Beach every year. Yes, it’s definitely touristy but sometimes touristy is fun! If you get a chance, make sure to check out all of the great tourist traps like Barefoot Landing, Broadway at the Beach and The House of Blues. Are you staying in North Myrtle or Central Myrtle? There are some great restaurants in North Myrtle and in Barefoot Landing. Dicks Last Resort is such a blast!!!

Have a great stay! 🙂
Lauren recently posted..Hartford Weekend Away

15 Tabitha (From Single to Married) October 12, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I’ve never been to Myrtle Beach – it looks beautiful!
Tabitha (From Single to Married) recently posted..Leonardo Is a Stud

16 Shannon @ Freshman Yr October 12, 2010 at 8:48 pm

That’s great you get to travel so much! Enjoy myrtle!!
Shannon @ Freshman Yr recently posted..Back to Reality

17 Erica October 12, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I wish you were going to be in SC through the weekend! I’d find my way up there to meet you! Glad you had a safe flight and a delicious yogurt
Erica recently posted..Christy Jordan’s Corn Chowder

18 Anna @ Doing Good and Living Well October 12, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Myrtle Beach is beautiful! I hope you enjoy it. It’s nice to put your toes in the water any time of year.
Anna @ Doing Good and Living Well recently posted..Lurking on my camera

19 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 12, 2010 at 9:04 pm

What wonderful photos!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..She runs- she talks- but she still needs to do her taxes!

20 Kathryn October 12, 2010 at 9:19 pm

That scenery looks like the perfect place for a run! Enjoy, girl!
Kathryn recently posted..Nerding Out

21 Katie October 12, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Funny thing. Ummmm… so that bowl you used to microwave your dinner last night. I’m pretty sure it’s from Target? I have a set and LOVE them as well, BUT they are not microwave safe. hehe. If you worry about that sorta thing just thought I’d share. (It says it on the bottom!)
Katie recently posted..first ever…

22 Manon October 12, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Touristy or not, I always love a beach too! Enjoy!
Manon recently posted..Breaking Des Moines- World Food Festival!

23 Amanda October 12, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Glad traveling went smoothly! Hope the work trip is nice! I wish I was on a beach right now…
Amanda recently posted..Save Up- Amazon’s Subscribe &amp Save

24 Emily October 12, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I LOVE your tattoo – it really is a beautiful snowflake. I run my marathons in honor of my friend Matt, whose nickname was “Snowflake.” After my race last weekend – this post (and that picture) struck a special spot with me. Enjoy your beach run gal!
Emily recently posted..2010 Hartford ING- The Recap

25 Jessica@tastyandtrim October 12, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Your beach pictures are absolutely gorgeous! I’m craving fro-yo after seeing that picture! One of the things I love about traveling to new cities is getting to try different fro-yo chains 🙂
Jessica@tastyandtrim recently posted..Just Another Manic Tuesday

26 Hope October 12, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Oh I love the beach!! The sounds, the smells, the sights! I always feel like a sleep better after a day at the beach!
Hope recently posted..Magnificent Monday

27 katie October 12, 2010 at 10:44 pm

aww you are sooo close to me!!!
katie recently posted..Pumpkin PB Cinnamon Raisin French Toast!

28 Tori October 12, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Okay, what is your job, and how do I get to do it? You travel EVERWHERE! I’d love to have that kind of job! I’ve been to Myrtle beach a couple times. It’s not the best beach, but it’s a fun tourist destination. Good times were had in other words 😉
Tori recently posted..Questions Now- Answers Later

29 Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 12, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Oh I love Myrtle! I don’t live far from there and we go there every single summer on vacation. It IS touristy but it’s touristy for a reason!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..The Rest Day That Wasn’t

30 Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut October 12, 2010 at 11:53 pm

I have been to that yogurt stand in the Charlotte airport! It is SO GOOD! 🙂 Last time I was there I think they put about $5 worth of berries on my yogurt, love! Have a fantastic run tomorrow!!
Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut recently posted..When life gives you pumpkins…

31 Smash @ Appreciate The Now October 12, 2010 at 11:59 pm

What a fun trip — those beach pictures are GORGEOUS! All of your food looked yummy too; the way you feel about blue cheese is the way I feel about feta. Cheese lovers unite!
Smash @ Appreciate The Now recently posted..Sweets For My Sweetie

32 ida October 13, 2010 at 12:26 am

Love the photo of your flip flop on the beach. Hope you have a good time in Myrtle!

33 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] October 13, 2010 at 1:04 am

<3 the flip-flop photo. i miss the coast.
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..Time to Taper

34 Brittany October 13, 2010 at 1:49 am

I know we already established this, but we are totally job twins! I’m traveling for work this week too – at some point we are going to end up at the same location. 😉

PS – I didn’t know you had a tattoo! Super cute!
Brittany recently posted..Pumpkin Raisin Oat Bran Muffins

35 Jen October 13, 2010 at 7:22 am

Not a chance I’d be able to resist running along the beach either 🙂 Enjoy it!
Jen recently posted..Synching the mind and body

36 Rosey Rebecca October 13, 2010 at 8:32 am

Reading this post just made my morning. I grew up going to Myrtle Beach every summer!! Love it! Have fun!
Rosey Rebecca recently posted..Raffle For The Cure Day One

37 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 13, 2010 at 8:36 am

Oh wow, that beach looks so beautiful! I would love to be lying out on a beach right now.
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving!

38 RunningOnCoffee October 13, 2010 at 9:17 am

It’s probably a fantastic time to be in Myrtle Beach , now that it’s off-peak time (I think). Those sweet potato chips you pictured are fantastic. I pick them up at my grocery store every now and then. Enjoy your beautiful surroundings for your first post-marathon run!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..ifitness neoprene double pouch- First Impressions

39 Beth @ DiningAndDishing October 13, 2010 at 10:57 am

I didn’t know you had a tattoo on your foot – it’s awesome! I don’t mind Myrtle Beach too much – as long as you look at the water and not behind you, the view is breathtaking :).
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..Louisa- You’re Welcome

40 crystal October 13, 2010 at 11:50 am

oh man have a good time in Myrtle Beach! At least this time of year it shouldnt be too crowded! Enjoy! PS can you believe how small their airport is! YIKES

41 Sara October 13, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Love the sandals shot! (Rainbows are my all time favorite, I live in them!) And love the tattoo! I have 2 tattoos on my feet and have plans to get another 🙂

42 Lisa October 13, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Nice! I could use some warm sandy beaches right about now….
Lisa recently posted..I’ll Take a Case of Wine Please

43 Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy October 13, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Myrtle Beach – that’s my home town! 🙂 Have fun and check out Broadway @ the Beach!
Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy recently posted..Preparing for Hawaii

44 Lacey @ Lake Life October 14, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I am always in awe when I read about all the travels you do alone- I would be terrified! You go girl 🙂
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..“Every cloud has a silver lining”

45 Carly October 14, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Lol, every restaurant you go to is a “hole-in-the-wall”.