The Monday After….

by Meghann on October 11, 2010

This means it’s really over, doesn’t it?

IMG_3097.jpg

Do you know how difficult it is to scrub off a pace tattoo? I’ll admit I’m going to miss it. I kept it on the majority of the day and felt pretty bad ass about it. Sure, I didn’t reach the goal of the time on the tat, but it was a conversation starter and proof that I really did run the Chicago Marathon yesterday. πŸ™‚

IMG_3031.jpg

Awww…. memories. πŸ™‚

Sleeping in felt great this morning. Sleeping in my own bed felt even better. πŸ™‚

My fridge was pretty empty, but I managed to throw together a pretty decadent day after marathon breakfast treat.

Peanut Butter Flax French Toast with Chocolate Chips, Fresh Mango and Syrup. Swoon.

I dipped two slices of bread into a drench made up of two eggs, flaxseed, peanut butter, cinnamon, and vanilla extract, then fried it all up on a griddle. Then topped it with the rest of the egg mix, dark chocolate chips, and some mango I had heated up with a little bit of syrup.

I loved how the chocolate chips melted on top of everything. The whole combination was very delicious. Exactly what I needed.

I chilled at home this morning and caught up on some work stuff in the comfort of my own living room. My legs were surprisingly ok. They were sore, but it was the typical walking down the stairs sore and the I just did a quick turn and reminded myself I ran a marathon yesterday sore. Nothing I couldn’t handle and definitely nothing a little mall cardio couldn’t handle.

I did have a very important shopping date after all. πŸ˜‰

Say Hello to J.

J writes the fabulous fashion blog titled J’s Everyday Fashion. I’ve mentioned J on here before and met her in person at a blogger meet up last month. She’s a sweetie with a genius blog that has a lot of great tips for being stylish on a budget. Yes, she has a fashion blog, but most of her fashions are attainable and reasonable, which I think is the big appeal!

Recently J had offered up her shopping expertise for readers in the Orlando area. Of course, I immediately e-mailed back and said YES! I’m clueless with all things fashion, so any advice she could offer would be great.

J asked if there way anything I specifically needed help with and I told her going out outfits. I have a lot of jeans. I have a lot of sun dresses. I have a lot of cotton t-shirts. BUT, I have a very limited supply of semi-nice shirts that pair well with jeans and heels for a night out on the town or to , you know, a nice dinner or something. I’m also pretty clueless when it comes to accessorizing.

So, J took me under her wing and met me at the mall to offer up some great advice when it comes to fashion, trends, and what works for my body.

I tried a few things on.

IMG_3066.JPG IMG_3070.JPG

And we practiced pairing different jewelry with different types of neck lines of shirts.

She also taught me that it’s ok to wear spaghetti straps. I’ve been uncomfortable in any type of spaghetti strap without a cardigan since high school. I just never felt like they looked right on my body. J taught me how to pair thin straps with a cut necklace or earrings to make the look work.

In the end I came home with three new shirts, a scarf, and a couple of necklaces.

Now, I just need to figure out where to wear these. Anyone feel like going out this week? πŸ˜‰

I teated J to lunch at Panera to THANK her for all her help today. πŸ™‚

Panera and I were really good friends back in the day. I used to go during my lunch break when I worked right down the street from one in Tallahassee. Yes, it’s fast food, but at least it’s good fast food. πŸ™‚

I had the 1/2 of the Harvest Chicken Salad.

Loved the seasoned chicken and fried berries, but wish there had been larger apple chunks and more pecans. πŸ™‚

Vegetable Soup

And a multi baguette – you know – the best part of the meal. πŸ™‚

After lunch I did something I’ve been dying to do since I crossed that finish line yesterday.

I. Had. A. Massage.

I used the Group On I had purchased last month for a 50 minute Facial, 50 Minute Massage, and a Pedicure. Unfortunately I couldn’t get the pedicure today, but the facial and massage were still nice. I had to catch myself from falling asleep on the table during the facial, I’m pretty sure there were a couple of points where I was drooling with my mouth open and asleep.

The massage was good, but I had requested a deep massage and it wasn’t quite deep enough. It was more relaxing and my muscles really needed to be dug into. I guess this just means I’ll need to be on the look out for another massage group on from a different spa to seek out the deep massage I am looking for. πŸ™‚

Post massage snack of vanilla yogurt, granola, and chopped dates.

Coming home after the massage and sprawling out in front of the tv was amazing. I didn’t want to move an inch. But, my stomach began to growl and food was needed.

Stuffed squash a simple, easy choice for dinner tonight.

I knew I wanted a stuffed squash, but I wasn’t exactly sure what to stuff it with, so I got a little creative with the very limited options in my refrigerator at the moment.

While I baked the acorn squash halves for 40 minutes at 415, I sauteed some onion, crumbled meatless meatballs, garlic, chopped dates, and kale. I filled the squash with the mix then sprinkled some crumbled blue cheese on top.

The stuffing worked really well with the squash. The best part was obviously the blue cheese. I’m pretty sure blue cheese makes everything better. πŸ™‚

For dessert I finished off this container of ice cream.

With the addition of a Chocolate VitaTop (BOGO at Publix the other week)

Mmmm….. Sorry Derek, I hope you don’t mind I finished off your Ice Cream. I’ll buy you more. πŸ˜‰

I have more stories to share tomorrow, but for now Gossip Girl is waiting for me on the big screen.

Good Night!!!

1 melissa (fitnessnyc) October 11, 2010 at 9:33 pm

happy recovery! hope you have a massage scheduled πŸ™‚
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Staten Island Half Marathon

2 Dori October 11, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Mmmmm french toast. Sounds like a great day!
Dori recently posted..Half Marathon Playlist-Share Your Running Songs

3 Stefanie @thenewhealthy October 11, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Congratulations on finishing the marathon! What an amazing accomplishment! πŸ™‚ I hope to do that someday! Personally, I love Panera. It’s fast food, but there are a lot of healthy options!
Stefanie @thenewhealthy recently posted..Experimenting with Lentils

4 Liz @ LBBakes October 11, 2010 at 9:41 pm

I can’t wait for day after marathon activities in a few weeks – looks so relaxing, and well earned! πŸ™‚
Liz @ LBBakes recently posted..Candy Corn Whipped Cream Frosting and Cupcakes

5 Alyssa October 11, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Use rubbing alcohol to take the tattoo off, it works pretty well πŸ™‚

Congrats on the marathon again!!!

6 Megan @ a very meg gril October 11, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Great job Meghann!! I have that shirt from the Loft and I am a huge fan! It always looks good!!
Megan @ a very meg gril recently posted..Friday!!!

7 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 11, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Either way I bet a massage felt heavenly. And I know I could use some tips on accessorizing. That’s my big downfall with fashion. I seriously own NO fun jewelry.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..fun at the fair &amp eating hypocrisy

8 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) October 11, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Looks like the perfect relaxing day! I’m always recruiting friends to help me shop. Sometimes it’s totally necessary.
Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) recently posted..Sweet-n-spicy butternut squash-n-apples

9 Exercise and Eat October 11, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Ahh!!! I missed the vitatop bogo! Boo:(
Exercise and Eat recently posted..The Baking Urge

10 Hope October 11, 2010 at 10:01 pm

“I’m pretty sure blue cheese makes everything better”…
I could not agree more!

I wish someone would come help me with clothes shopping, I’m hopeless at matching things and at present, I appear to have an entirely black wardrobe! Must.get.more.colour!
Congrats again on the marathon!
Hope recently posted..Magnificent Monday

11 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] October 11, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Am I understanding correctly? You poured the raw egg dip over your finished French toast? =/
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..Time to Taper

12 Meghann October 11, 2010 at 10:06 pm

haha nope! I cooked up the remaining egg and added that to the french toast.

13 Becky October 11, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Oil also works to take off fake tattoos (I think baby oil is the best for it, but any should do)! LOVED reading all your race recaps, and got a little misty seeing your splits and knowing that you and Kelly finished together! I was thinking of all of you as I did my long run in Madison, WI (2.75 hours from Chicago) and hoping it was somehow cooler there for you! Congratulations on an incredible race and amazing experience!!! You are a ROCKSTAR!!!!!!

14 Alyssa October 12, 2010 at 12:15 am

BABY OIL! That’s what I meant Meghann, not RUBBING ALCOHOL! Sorry πŸ™ I hope you didn’t try it!!!!

15 Heather October 11, 2010 at 10:11 pm

so fun! I have no fashion sense whatsoever. I have big hips/butt and a small waist and am tall so everything is short on me. “regular” clothes just don’t fit!! looks like you found some cute stuff.
Heather recently posted..Open House

16 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat October 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Congrats again on your epic marathon finish! You must have had such a high today, knowing that you and Kelly were able to finish hand in hand and in a decent time despite the heat!

All your meals today look delicious! I’m drooling just looking at the pictures πŸ™‚
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Cool Down

17 Tabitha (From Single to Married) October 11, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Glad to see you had some yummy food after your big run – you deserve it!
Tabitha (From Single to Married) recently posted..Leonardo Is a Stud

18 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life October 11, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I really like that pace tatoo, that’s so neat! Hopefully it comes off soon!
Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life recently posted..Apple Crisp- Fajitas and Football

19 Shanna, like Banana October 11, 2010 at 11:00 pm

That sounds like a pretty amazing day and completely well deserved! good for you to refuel your body!

20 Lauren George October 11, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Congratulations on finishing the Chicago Marathon!! That is an amazing acomplishment. I am so jealous of your date with J, and love the tops you baught!! Enjoy the rest of your recovery!
Lauren George recently posted..Georgios Pizzaria

21 Claire October 11, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Glad you had a fun day after the marathon! Sounds like you had some yummy eats too!
Claire recently posted..pumpkins and apples- oh my

22 Bobbi October 12, 2010 at 12:10 am

Oh how fun! I wan J to take me shopping πŸ™‚ I had a blast with you guys this weekend! Looks like we will be rooming again in just three weeks!!! YAY! I need to get back into the groove and get back to my healthy eats! I think that is what is throwing my tummy off.

23 Smash @ Appreciate The Now October 12, 2010 at 12:11 am

Not sure if you’re a tattoo person or not, but getting a real tattoo to commemorate the CM experience would be cool!

24 Marina October 12, 2010 at 1:16 am

Shopping after a marathon and a massage sound perfect.
I like shopping with my mom, sometimes I just need an advice and to hear how something looks on me, really :))
Marina recently posted..poor kitty

25 ~Jessica~ October 12, 2010 at 4:58 am

Glad you’re not too sore: just shows that smart training pays off πŸ™‚

Huge congrats on the marathon: it was really fun to follow you on Twitter the whole way!

~Jess~
~Jessica~ recently posted..Holding On…

26 Matt October 12, 2010 at 6:48 am

Massages are essential the day after. Glad you enjoyed it πŸ™‚
Matt recently posted..Challenging Myself

27 Lauren October 12, 2010 at 6:58 am

Sounds like the perfect recovery day. Shopping, message, pedi, good food, and ending it all with ice cream. Sounds fantastic and I’m glad you are doing well! πŸ˜‰
Lauren recently posted..Hartford Weekend Away

28 alexe @ soyaetchocolat.com October 12, 2010 at 7:33 am

You’re so lucky! I wish I was living in Orlando so J could help me shop too! I’m so clueless when it comes to accessorize… And I HATE shopping alone! I last 15 minutes in the store and then I go back home, without buying anything. Well, I guess it’s better for my wallet.

And you’re right, bread is definitely the best part of the meal. No competition…

29 Heather @ Side of Sneakers October 12, 2010 at 8:35 am

Ugh I could some serious fashion help- I’m jealous of your personal shopper πŸ˜‰
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..What Kermit the Frog Can Teach Us About Being Vegan

30 Ash Bear October 12, 2010 at 9:06 am

Sounds like we both had massages that weren’t exactly what we wanted today. Oh well. πŸ™‚ My hamstring muscles need some serious digging action! Congrats on a wonderful day!
Ash Bear recently posted..Productive Columbus Day

31 Kiran October 12, 2010 at 10:58 am

Congrats on completing your marathon πŸ™‚

J’s blog is so wonderful. Hope to meet her and get some fashion help as well πŸ˜‰
Kiran recently posted..Chicken meatballs with broccoli

32 Lisa October 12, 2010 at 11:50 am

What is the pace tattoo for?
Lisa recently posted..I’ll Take a Case of Wine Please

33 MegaNerd October 12, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I’ve been dying to go out for wine!!!!!!!! Please let’s go! πŸ™‚
MegaNerd recently posted..Back to Double Digits- 100 Miles on 10-10-10

34 Clare @ Fitting It All In October 12, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I Love J’s website. Thanks for posting about shopping with her…I was curious about her new offer!

Also, I LOVE panera (being an STL girl where the chain started). Interesting to see how the ingredients change down south. Up here the Orchard salad has chicken, pears, pecans, and dried cranberries. And an amazing cherry balsamic dressing that is probably laden with HFCS like the rest of theirs πŸ™
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Oops I Did It Again

35 Emily October 12, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I definitely strained a muscle trying to scrub off a calf tat after a running relay last summer. Way to make the most of marathon recovery/rewards for a race well run!
Emily recently posted..Waving the White Flag

36 Bess @ I Dream of Greenie October 12, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Weren’t you starving after your marathon or does it take an extra day for the raging appetite to kick in? I feel like I eat more than your day’s eats after a regular workout! Is that typical?
Bess @ I Dream of Greenie recently posted..Finally Perfected The Frosting For My Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Cake!!

37 BroccoliHut October 12, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Those baguettes are the whole reason I go to Panera!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Paid to Shop