We’re Going to Run This Town

by Meghann on October 8, 2010

I made it!

I was born to run 10-10-10 πŸ™‚

Side Note: I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the 10-10-10 theme of this year’s marathon. Every piece of marketing material I’ve seen has 10-10-10 on it somewhere and I was more inclined to buy race theme merchandise with the 10-10-10 theme. It’s just so fun and original to me. I mean when else will I be able to run a marathon on 10-10-10? Ummm… never? πŸ˜‰

Anyways…

The flight was uneventful. My row mate and I were one of the lucky few to have a seat between us, I was able to get a lot of work done on the lap top, and we landed 10 minutes early. It was the perfect flight.

And thanks to my previous L experience back in August, I was able to save myself some serious moola by the taking the L to the hotel. I was quite proud of myself for being able to navigate my way to the hotel through public transportation with all my luggage in tow. Go me! πŸ™‚

Thankfully I was able to check in super early (I arrived at the hotel around 10:00am) and had enough time to grab a quick snack from the corner deli before my roommates arrived.

I couldn’t decide between trail mix and yogurt, so I grabbed both.

IMG_2360.jpg

A handful of trail mix for me…

and a handful for the yogurt.

Yum! πŸ™‚

Also, did not know La Croix comes in bottle form. I learn something new every day.

IMG_2359.jpg

I was lucky enough to find some awesome roommates for my stay in Chicago. First, my sister Kelly, whom encouraged me to sign up for the marathon. Theodora, whom I ran 16 miles with in Chicago at the Healthy Living Summit back in August. And Bobbi, whom I ran the San Diego Marathon with in May of last year.

All three girls are amazing. In fact, I think I’ve been looking forward to spending time with them just as much as I’ve been looking forward to the marathon. When Theodora knocked at the door this morning we both started screaming and jumping up and down. I was so pumped! The same thing happened when Kelly knocked and I know wen Bobbi gets here there will be lots of hugs and love. πŸ™‚

Besides my roomies, I know a TON of other friends and bloggies staying in the city as well. Our friend Sarah and her boyfriend Adam just happen to be staying the same hotel and flew up with Kelly yesterday. When Theodora, Kelly, Sara, Adam, and I grouped up earlier this afternoon at the hotel, we decided to all set out for some food and the expo.

Lunch was an easy spot to choose. I had heard so many great things about Epic Burger from fellow HLS attendees, but never got a chance to check it out. When Sara has offered it up as one of her suggested Chicago places, I knew we had to go!

Epic Burger is what I would call an upscale, all-natural fast food burger place. It was a little different than I was expecting, but still very cool and fun in it’s own right.

One thing I remember other bloggers mention in their Epic Burger travels was the public twitter feed on a big screen at the front of the restaurant.

What a GENUIS marketing tool to encourage people to tweet about Epic Burger. I know the four of us girl immediately pulled out our phones for a quick Epic Burger tweet just to see our name appear on the screen.

It was also fun to watch other people follow up on my tweets and see their responses stream by. they’re tweetdeck application was faster at showing the mentions than my phone app was! πŸ™‚

Everything on the menu looked delicious and after seeing a few options that jumped out at me, I decided to have some fun and create something I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to get anywhere else.

That choice included a portobello mushroom burger…

AND.. a fried egg!

Don’t lie – you know that combination sounds, well, EPIC! πŸ™‚

The portobello burger with fried egg came with the works (grilled onions, lettuce, tomato, pickle, epic sauce) and havarti cheese on a whole wheat bun.

It was greasy. It was messy. But, boy-oh-boy it was GOOD! πŸ™‚

Kelly and I split the fresh cut fries on the side.

After lunch we hopped on one of the free shuttle buses and made out way to the convention center for one of the biggest and most bad ass race expos I’ve ever been to!

We got sooooo many compliments on our shirts! I lost count of how many people asked us if we had purchased them at the expo. I say next race we make up 20 or so shirts and sell them at the entrance. Apparently, we would make a killing! πŸ™‚

First things first, bib time.

Don’t forget – you can still sign up to track me HERE. I’m bib #45935. πŸ™‚

We were all in AWE of the expo. So. Many. Booths!! WE spent THREE hours walking up and down the aisles checking each booth out. It. Was. Awesome. πŸ™‚

I’ve decided I really want to run the Little Rock Marathon next year

If only because you get this GIGANTIC medal!

Sign me up!! πŸ™‚

IMG_2482.jpg IMG_2486.JPG

IMG_2493.jpg

The loot!

The official 10-10-10 shirt πŸ™‚

I also purchased a fun long sleeve Chicago shirt.

Love the back

We pretty much crashed after the Expo. It was a long day and we were all exhausted.

After a couple of hours of chilling we headed to Lou Malnati’s for some Chicago Deep Dish Pizza.

IMG_2551.jpg

My twin bro is in his final week of an externship at University of Illinois and was able to meet us for dinner after he got off work.

Unfortunately there was a LONG wait and we were all tired and hungry. Instead of waiting we ordered food to go and had beers while we waited.

This was the 312 brew – the official beer of the Chicago Marathon. Very good. πŸ™‚

We split a large deep dish half sausage and half tomato with spinach.

And a salad.

I had 1/2 a slice of each and some salad.

My favorite of the two was the spinach and tomato, but if I were to compare Lou Malnatis to Gino’s East I would definitely pick Gino’s. THey’re pizza was a little bit deeper and you can’t beat the cornmeal crispy crust. Yum! πŸ™‚

Bobbi just got here and we’re all gossiping and playing catch up. Such a long, fun day! tomorrow we’re going to explore the cit a little more, but not too much – we do have a marathon we’re running after all. πŸ˜‰

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) October 8, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Looks like you got some epic fuel in today…har har.

Seriously though, I am regretting not going to Epic Burger during HLS!

AHHH I’m getting so excited for you girls!
Allie (Live Laugh Eat) recently posted..Flip Floppin’

2 Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 8, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Next time do Uno’s πŸ™‚ It’s my very favorite!!! I’m bummed it won’t work out for me to meet up with you all tomorrow, but have some FrΓΌz for me!
Mara @ What’s For Dinner? recently posted..A Tale of Two Stoves

3 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 8, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Reading this post is giving me race fever! That expo looks marvelous! Good luck tomorrow.

4 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat October 9, 2010 at 12:00 am

I’m not even there, and I’m excited for you all! I can’t wait to hear the recaps!!

And of course, I love the shirts! I am definitely making one when I run a marathon.
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..The Happy Gnome and Half-Marathon Training Update

5 Kate@andwhenshesays October 9, 2010 at 12:06 am

Welcome back, lady! That expo looks incredible! Can’t wait to hear about how you spend your weekend…you know…when you’re not running 26 miles. πŸ˜‰
Kate@andwhenshesays recently posted..Wednesday wisdom

6 Katrina October 9, 2010 at 12:18 am

I’ve never been to a big race with an expo like that. The closest I’ve got is Birmingham and then maybe Atlanta. It looks like you’re having a BLAST and I so look forward to hearing about the race. πŸ™‚
Katrina recently posted..Countdown to the beach

7 Maddie (the person) October 9, 2010 at 12:21 am

I’m such a nerd. I’m getting so pumped for you to run this race!! I, too, am getting race fever!! Take it all in! So jealous of your loot! Good luck, lady!!!
Maddie (the person) recently posted..dear future husband-please don’t make fun of me when I go

8 Marina October 9, 2010 at 3:45 am

Looks like a huge even!
I’ll have my fingers crossed for you!
Good luck!
Marina recently posted..home- comforting home

9 ida October 9, 2010 at 3:52 am

Wow, what an expo! Good luck this weekend.

10 maria @ Chasing the Now October 9, 2010 at 5:02 am

Good luck! Sending positive vibes all of your girls’ ways!
maria @ Chasing the Now recently posted..One thing at a time

11 Freya October 9, 2010 at 5:51 am

Oohh that looks amazing!!!
1) GOOD LUCK!
2) You’ve just made me super excited (and very, very nervous) for my marathon in 3 weeks!!!
Freya recently posted..Fare Yee Well Hannah!

12 Tabitha (From Single to Married) October 9, 2010 at 6:42 am

You’re right – that expo looks amazing! Your post reminded me of how much I love Chicago. And good for you for making it on the L. I did the same thing when I first visited – made my way to the airport all by my lonesome by using the train. It was so easy! Of course it helps that I’m used to the Metro here in DC. πŸ™‚
Tabitha (From Single to Married) recently posted..Shameless Self Promotion and Giveaway

13 Dori October 9, 2010 at 7:02 am

Why is your t-shirt a different color than everyone else’s?

I love the long sleeve shirt you bought! So cute! I went to Chicago once and did not even think to have deep dish pizza, how dumb am I?! Anyway, the expo looks like so much fun! Although I could do without the the Bank of America branding, since you know, I just QUIT MY JOB THERE! πŸ™‚

GOOD LUCK tomorrow!! So excited for you, I’m tracking you and I will be thinking about you all day!
Dori recently posted..Half Marathon Playlist-Share Your Running Songs

14 alison October 9, 2010 at 7:17 am

What a fun day! That swag bag is incredible!
alison recently posted..Your Daily Dose

15 Lee October 9, 2010 at 7:41 am

I’m excited for you guys! Good luck tomorrow.
Lee recently posted..Taming the Snack Monster

16 Jen October 9, 2010 at 7:43 am

I am so excited for you 10-10-10ers! Is it sad I want to do the Chicago marathon next year just because the expo looks so amazing? πŸ˜‰
Jen recently posted..That β€œshould I run when I’m sick” question

17 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 9, 2010 at 8:07 am

Just the expo looks amazing- I can only imagine how fun the race will be!! Enjoy Chi-town!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..El Vez

18 Heather @ Side of Sneakers October 9, 2010 at 8:09 am

That looks like an amazing expo. Ah I love Chicago! Have fun & kick butt!!
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..Strawberry Shortcake Delight

19 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice October 9, 2010 at 8:11 am

How fun! Your post makes me want to go visit Chicago so much. I really want to try out that burger place.

20 Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen October 9, 2010 at 8:17 am

The expo sounds awesome, and you’re gonna rock your 10-10-10 marathon!

I went to Lou Malnati’s during the HLS, and while their pizza was good I have to say that I wasn’t super impressed with it either. I thought it would be a lot gooier πŸ˜‰ I really wish I had the chance to try Epic Burger now!
Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen recently posted..More Moksha

21 Alison (Ali on the Run) October 9, 2010 at 8:23 am

Ahhhh this is so exciting! Looking at all the photos got me super pumped for you guys. And it’s definitely making me want to do a marathon myself… A motivating blog as always. Thanks!
Alison (Ali on the Run) recently posted..Tonight I Fell for Dance…Again

22 Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life October 9, 2010 at 8:34 am

All that fun is making me want to run a marathon! Looks like a killer time. Oh and you ladies have an awesome race:)

23 Tina October 9, 2010 at 9:04 am

You guys seem to be having SO much fun! Can’t wait to hear about everything else. Good luck tomorrow! πŸ™‚
Tina recently posted..living the highland life

24 Amanda Davis October 9, 2010 at 9:06 am

Good Luck with the Race.

P.S. I agree, gino’s east is better then lou malnatis
Amanda Davis recently posted..Asking for Help

25 christina cadden October 9, 2010 at 9:09 am

Good luck on your race!

26 Whitney October 9, 2010 at 9:17 am

it looks like you guys are having an amazing time.

That burger loooks delicious! Perfect for pre-race fuel. Reading your post gets me excited about racing again. I am praying I get to experience everything you guys are.

GOOOD LUCK
Whitney recently posted..Nude – Fruit

27 Claire October 9, 2010 at 9:24 am

What a great expo, I wouldn’t expect anything less of Chi! I am so excited for your race. Enjoy the day!
Claire recently posted..apples &amp doughnuts

28 sue October 9, 2010 at 9:26 am

Being a native Chicagoan, I do not like Gino’s . You have to acquire a taste for the corn bread crust. There are much better locally owned pizza places in the city. Have fun in the city, iy’s a great place to be.

29 Matt October 9, 2010 at 9:30 am

I remember the expo was BLAST last year. What runners did they have? I remember meeting Dean Karnazes!
Matt recently posted..Maryland Style Crab Cakes

30 Jamie @ Food in Real Life October 9, 2010 at 9:38 am

This looks so awesome. It’s getting me pumped for the Philly half that I’m running.

Oh and that Twitter feed at Epic burger is GENIUS!!
Jamie @ Food in Real Life recently posted..Dessert- Women- and the Media

31 Jordan October 9, 2010 at 9:45 am

Good luck to all of you! The only thing cool I’m doing on 10-10-10 is a special pin trading event here at Epcot! πŸ™‚
Jordan recently posted..Another β€˜Hunger Diaries’ Opinion

32 Lindsey @ SoundEats October 9, 2010 at 9:59 am

aw, love that lulu was there with a photobooth! how fun!!
Lindsey @ SoundEats recently posted..Vegan Enchiladas

33 Krista October 9, 2010 at 10:26 am

That expo looks awesome! And you should definitely consider the LR marathon! It was my first marathon and was a pretty good course, but nothing can beat the “largest finishers medal” in the nation! Good luck this weekend!!! πŸ™‚

34 Lauren October 9, 2010 at 10:55 am

WOW! So cool!!! Don’t you just LOVE the pre race hype!?!?! Seriously gets you so pumped for race day.

OKAY GIRL, ROCK THIS THING!!!!!!!
Lauren recently posted..Its How You Run The Race

35 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life October 9, 2010 at 11:01 am

The expo looks like so much fun! Good luck with the race, your shirts were awesome!

36 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) October 9, 2010 at 11:22 am

This really makes me want to run another marathon!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..WeΒ Can!

37 Cate October 9, 2010 at 11:36 am

Wow, wow, wow! That sounds like an AMAZING expo and you got tons of great stuff. The race shirts are definitely awesome too! So exciting! Enjoy your time in Chicago! πŸ™‚
Cate recently posted..Race Recap- My First Tri – Lake Nona YMCA Family Triathlon

38 Courtney October 9, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Sounds like you had a great time!! And YES, gino’s is the best!! πŸ˜€
Courtney recently posted..Photo Ops!

39 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels October 9, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Wow, that expo looks incredible! You’re going to do such a fantastic job on the marathon! Good luck Meghann πŸ™‚
Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels recently posted..Treats By Me Winners!

40 Sana October 9, 2010 at 12:38 pm

That expo looks so awesome!!! It’s fun going back to Chicago because you can hit up all the places that you missed during all the HLS crazyness!
Sana recently posted..Friday Fun

41 Lee October 9, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Other favorite foods I always eat when I am in Chicago are:
Italian beef sandwich at Portilo’s and don’t miss a Chicago dog with the works, (though you can get those in Orlando)
You can get either at Midway on your way out of town. Good luck in the race and whatever you do don’t bust

42 Heather October 9, 2010 at 2:51 pm

FUN! I am tracking you! Love the pic you and kelly took together! Have a BLAST!
Heather recently posted..Yurbuds and Swag

43 Andrea of Care to Eat October 9, 2010 at 4:54 pm

This post is awful! First I wanted a hamburger and now I want deep dish pizza. πŸ™‚ Good luck at the marathon tomorrow! I see Boston in your future…
Andrea of Care to Eat recently posted..Letting the cat out of the bag

44 Jessica@tastyandtrim October 9, 2010 at 7:58 pm

You are literally feet away from my apartment! I still need to try Epic Burger though- it always smells SO amazing! Good luck tomorrow- you will do great πŸ™‚

45 Sally Kate October 9, 2010 at 8:53 pm

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!! I ran in the Rock N Roll Half in August in Chicago and that expo looks familiar πŸ˜‰ (i also spent 3 hours there- which is a bit embarassing, considering it was probably half as big as yours was today) I cant wait to hear how you do!! I run my first marathon a month from 3 days ago (nov 6th) and tomorrow is my last lloooong run day (i have another half marathon next weekend) so I love looking at your pictures of the expo- gets me so excited!!!

46 Susan October 9, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I try not to wish good luck to people who I know don’t need it πŸ˜‰ So I’m just popping by to say HAVE FUN tomorrow!!!

47 Pam October 9, 2010 at 9:31 pm