Marathon Countdown

by Meghann on October 5, 2010

Good Morning!

Today is a whole new day. 🙂

I have a few items on the blogging agenda for the next week:

• The much awaited period post (GULP!)
  • Derek’s Half Marathon Recap (If he ever sends it to me)
  • A real discussion on disordered eating and blogging

AND…..

My Upcoming Marathon!

IMG_2023

I will not let anything overshadow the fact that I have been training my butt off for the upcoming Chicago Marathon – a race with 45,000 other crazy participants. I am going to rock this race by finishing healthy and strong. 🙂

A couple of things:

• If you are in the Chicago area – or running the marathon as well – and would like to attend a Fro-You meet-up Saturday afternoon please send me an e-mail at mealsandmiles@gmail.com 🙂
  • Feel free to tack me on race day! You can register through this link. My bib # is 45935

IMG_2025

• Also, feel free to track my sister! She’s bib # 8717

By the way I find it amusing there are FOUR other Kelly Andersons running this race and only ONE Meghann Anderson. I guess my name isn’t as cool?

Last night I received the Mile By Mile official e-newsletter for the Chicago marathon.

milebymile

Inside there was some great information regarding the Expo, Pre-Pasta Parties, Tracking, etc. I love a good newsletter and read every interesting word.

What I found the most amusing was the ‘upgrade section’ of the newsletter where it instructs [for a small fee] “you will receive access to unique race day benefits.  Amenities for registered customers include pre- and post-race light food and beverages, private restrooms and reserved finish line seating.”

I’m curious to know how many people sign up for these private restrooms and reserved finish line seating? Seems like an odd concept to pay extra for.

Though maybe they’re on to something here? When it comes down to race day and the line circles around the block for the nearest porta potty, I would probably be happy to fork over any terms of a ‘small fee’ to use a potty in peace. Or be allowed special seating at the finish line as to avoid the long trek to the checked bag and family member area. Hmmm…. Where do I sign up?

Only kidding. Sort of.

I mentioned last night that this week’s running is light compared to previous training weeks. This morning was my longest run this week before race day. It was an easy 6 miles. I kept it slow and steady with no real rush to prove anything.

For breakfast I had a homemade frozen waffle from a couple of weeks ago in my freezer ready to be toasted.

IMG_2001

Throwing left over homemade waffle in the freezer and toasting them at a later date makes for an easy quick breakfast and tastes 10 times better than an eggo.

IMG_2017

I slathered mine with Almond Butter and the last of my Farmer’s Market Fig Preserves.

IMG_2004

On the side – a Pear.

IMG_2018

IMG_2021

Baby Gifts

I had a little fun on Spreadshirt the other week. While I designing a couple of shirts for the Chicago Marathon (patience young ones, you will see them soon 😉 ) I couldn’t help, but order a couple of baby gifts for the lovely expecting Heather as well.

How much fun are these adorable onesies? I now have it in my head that every time a friend has a baby I’m going to make a customizable onesie for the little one to wear. Plus, I think all babies should be rockin’ the Meals and Miles onesie. 😉 The little HEABlet will be the talk of the nursery!

1 betsy October 5, 2010 at 9:37 am

I’m so excited for Sunday!!! I’ve never run a marathon before but paying extra for all that stuff doesnt seem worth it.

I didn’t get that newsletter though, weird!
betsy recently posted..Marathon Week!

2 Freya October 5, 2010 at 9:40 am

OOhh I am SO excited for you!! My first marathon (Marine Corps) is on Halloween, so I’m really reaaaally into reading about marathon recaps right now 😀 You’re totslly going to rock it!
Freya recently posted..Autumn

3 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin October 5, 2010 at 9:42 am

I saw those onesies on Heather’s blog yesterday – SO cute! I love getting the race email before a big race – – it makes it official! Also, looking forward to hearing about those three topics later this week!

4 Dori October 5, 2010 at 9:49 am

Those onesies are adorable! I just signed up to track you. I work at Bank of America, so all that branding hits a little too close to home for me. But I would definitely pay for restrooms, I am a nervous peeer and it gets in the way of my races — the extra comfort in knowing I won’t have an insane portapotty line would help!
Dori recently posted..What I’m Doing Wrong

5 skinnyrunner October 5, 2010 at 9:49 am

love the meals and miles onesie with the footprints. wonder if it’d fit me??
man, chicago is going to be awesome.

6 Meghann October 5, 2010 at 9:55 am

Ha! Let me know and I’ll hook you up with a shirt!

7 RunningOnCoffee October 5, 2010 at 9:58 am

Hey,
I’ve asked before, but don’t remember seeing an answer- What kind of waffles do you typically eat? When I have frozen waffles, I have just gotten the Eggo kind (but my store stopped offering or the brand stopped selling their Nutrigrain variety?) I’m in the market for a new waffle.

I think there’s only one Meghann Anderson running because the spelling of your name is unique with both the ‘h’ and two n’s. I have friends that are Meghan and Megan, but no Meghann 🙂

8 RunningOnCoffee October 5, 2010 at 9:59 am

I’m an idiot. Just went back and re-read that they are home-made 🙂 I need a waffle maker.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Lululemon Run- Inspire Jacket

9 Amanda October 5, 2010 at 10:13 am

What a great gift! I once made my friend a gag t-shirt for her birthday that we laughed about for years, but these are actually really adorable!
Amanda recently posted..Introducing Me

10 Kelly October 5, 2010 at 10:15 am

Totally going to track you this weekend, good luck!
Kelly recently posted..Tales of my Travels

11 Iowajen October 5, 2010 at 10:20 am

Hi Meghann – I’m also doing Chicago on Sunday – which I could meet up but will have the whole family along for the weekend. Have you seen the temps? It’s going to be a warm day – you should be in great shape as you trained in the heat! I am attempting a BQ, used the Runner’s World Run Less Run Faster plan which has worked great, but the real test will be Sunday.
Good luck!

12 RunningOnCoffee October 5, 2010 at 10:36 am

ooh, just looked at the weather forecast. A high of 70 isn’t too bad if you’re starting early enough. But I’d definitely want it cooler too! For my Philly half 2 weekends ago, we had over night lows in the upper 50s, but it was a sunny, clear day and the high for the day was 85! As the race didn’t start until 8am (or my corral… 8:22) it got into the mid 70s before my half was over.

I think I have decided I prefer to train in the winter when it’s cold and have an early spring race! This summer was brutal with so many 90-100 degree days and really impacted my speed workouts.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Lululemon Run- Inspire Jacket

13 Jen October 5, 2010 at 10:28 am

Hi Meghann – can you post what you’re wearing on Sunday so we can keep an eye out for ya?

14 Anna S October 5, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I will be there cheering on my family and would love to know what you are wearing so i can cheer as well!

15 Natalia - a side of simple October 5, 2010 at 10:29 am

Those onesies are priceless, Meghann. Best of luck in your races! You’re going to be awesome, oh wait, you already are 🙂
Natalia – a side of simple recently posted..Sunday Un-Rest

16 kristy @ kristyruns.com October 5, 2010 at 10:34 am

I love the last few days before a big race! So much excitement! Eeekkkk! 🙂

I still have a few weeks before he Spinx Marathon, so I’m still pretty calm…for now.

Mmmm…waffles….
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..Eat Race Die

17 Carly (Swim, Run, Om) October 5, 2010 at 10:48 am

Girl, you sound so excited about Sunday! I’m freaking nervous for you, and you’re ready to rock it. I can’t wait to read all about it.

And those onesies couldn’t be a better gift idea.
Carly (Swim, Run, Om) recently posted..Monday eats

18 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 5, 2010 at 10:51 am

You sound so calm and well prepared for your marathon. I think I’d be in full freak out mode at this point, but I guess that’s why you trained so well!

You are going to rock this thing and I can’t wait to read about it!

19 Kiran October 5, 2010 at 10:54 am

Good luck on 10/10/10 🙂

The onesies are super adorable 😀

20 Reenie October 5, 2010 at 10:57 am

Wichita, KS is having a marathon on 10/10/10 too! The route goes very close to my house (my house is the 2nd one from the corner)……so I plan on sitting out there cheering on the runners!

Good luck to you and your sis who are running. 🙂 I didn’t know that Derek did a half-marathon!! Way to go Derek.

21 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa October 5, 2010 at 11:25 am

Good luck at the race! I’d love to run Chicago someday – probably next year. I’ve heard it is an awesome race. I ran Twin Cities last year and travelling south for the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa, OK this November! Just ran my first of three 20-milers…so hearing everyone talk about their taper weeks makes me so jealous! 🙂
Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa recently posted..twice baked pumpkin granola bars

22 Theresa @ActiveEggplant October 5, 2010 at 11:25 am

They had one of those VIP pre- & post-race areas at Disney too! I was SO tempted to sign up for it simply for the porta potties…but dishing out another $100 bucks on top of a steep entry fee seemed a bit absurd.

Can’t believe race week is already here – seems like just yesterday you were posting your training plan!
Theresa @ActiveEggplant recently posted..Siesta Key Triathlon Recap

23 aron October 5, 2010 at 11:58 am

i think i would definitely pay a little extra for a private bathroom!! those things are priceless on race morning 🙂 i wonder how much they are?

24 Lisa October 5, 2010 at 12:10 pm

It looks like a lot of fun events! Including the marathon! I love Chicago. What a cool city.
Lisa recently posted..Is It Working Yet

25 Melissa R. October 5, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Good luck on Sunday! I’m also running a marathon on 10/10/10 but it’s in Scranton, PA–Steamtown Marathon. Woot Woot! I’m attempting to finally BQ–but for me it’s more of an “aging into” it at 41.

HAVE A GREAT RACE!

The onesies are precious!

26 Paige @ Two Runners And A Brown Dog October 5, 2010 at 12:47 pm

No need to worry about porta-potties in Chicago. There are hundreds if not thousands of them. I ran Chicago last year and never even had to wait in a line to use the porta-potty! Now that’s a perk!
Paige @ Two Runners And A Brown Dog recently posted..Supa Fly

27 ida October 5, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I’m so excited for all the chicago runners! I can’t wait to read what you think of the race. It’s nice that you were just in chicago so you know good places to eat and hang out- smart planning:)

28 Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 5, 2010 at 1:31 pm

So precious!
And I can’t believe the marathon is so close!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Vegetarians Beware

29 Matt October 5, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Have you decided where you are going to eat yet the night before the race? I went to a place called the pasta bowl and it was amazing. Let me know if you want the info on it!
Matt recently posted..Bike Clipping

30 Tina October 5, 2010 at 2:05 pm

What cute onesies! It makes me want to make a special one for my little bean coming in January. 🙂
Tina recently posted..living the highland life

31 Kristina @ spabettie October 5, 2010 at 4:50 pm

! 🙂 I saw those onesies on HEAB’s … SO cute!
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..maple donut french toast

32 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 5, 2010 at 5:22 pm

That was really thoughtful of you to make those onesies for the HEABlet. They’re really cute!
Do you think you could send me a Meals and Miles one in my size 😉
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Eating Animals – Review

33 Jessica October 5, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Meghann I LOVE them! I can’t believe you didn’t shoot me a pic of that sooner lol
Jessica recently posted..Great news!

34 Lacey @ Lake Life October 5, 2010 at 9:21 pm

“Private restrooms.”

I’m not a runner, but give me the option of private restrooms and I’ll pay anything.
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Seneca Farms