Epcot Food & Wine Festival 2010

by Meghann on October 3, 2010

Ok, so I have a confession to make…

Yes, volunteering for last night’s race did make me feel all warm and happy inside AND Yes, it was awesome to see Derek run past me in the middle of the race. BUT… I did have one other motive at hand….

Epcot’s Food & Wine Festival

Yes, it’s true. I signed up to volunteer last night for the free ticket to a Disney Theme Park so that I could spend a day indulging in delicious food and drinks from around the world with my Sister.

I love Disney. I love Food. I have no shame. ;)

Post-Half Marathon Derek Update: He’s doing great!

He passed the ultimate day after half marathon test when he was able to walk down a flight of stairs on his own with no pain this morning (Woop! Woop!) AND he happily spent the day eating wings and watching football with my sister’s boyfriend, Anthony. He’s still on cloud nine and I *think* I still see that full marathon in his future. ;)

I’m hoping to have his guest post up tomorrow or Tuesday. :)

We were all able to sleep in this morning. It’s amazing how easy it is to crash after being on your feet until 2:00am. (This must have been how I was able to sleep in so late in college)

A big day of eating around the world was on the agenda for the morning, so we kept breakfast light and easy.

I was able to piece together a few things from the hotel food court (applesauce and raisins) with some things from home (granola sample, pear, and Barney Butter) to create a messy bowl of breakfast goodness.

After breakfast Kelly and I said our good byes to Derek (who I think preferred football, beer, and wings over being on his feet the remainder of the day) and headed to Epcot for the 15th annual Food & Wine Festival.

I attended the Food & Wine Festival last year with Derek and my parents and knew I would find a way back to this year’s event – volunteering for last night’s race just happened to be that ticket. ;)

This year, however, I was excited to be celebrating at the Wine & Food Festival with my Sister.

Kelly is a grad student who works really hard studying and TA-ing for next to nothing. Often times she has to turn down fun events due to $$ or time and it kills me every time.

IMG_1766.jpg IMG_1769.jpg

Being able to bring my Sister along this time thanks to our free tickets was an extra bonus. Kelly is amazing and deserves a treat every once in a while. I love my Sister. Getting to spend a full day eating our way around the world with her is worth celebrating!

IMG_1770.jpg IMG_1771.jpg

First things first, we picked up our guide for the day.

This year’s Food & Wine Festival was going to be a little different than last year’s. In honor of my sister’s vegetarian diet we decided to approach the world showcase completely from a vegetarian’s stand point. Yes, this is a meat heavy festival, but I love a good challenge, and only selecting vegetarian dishes was a good one.

We loaded up our Food & wine gift card and were ready to go.

First stop: Greece!

A favorite of last year’s event and one that I knew would not disappoint. :)

You see those green Vs below? Each vegetarian friendly dish were clearly marked which made for easy, quick vegetarian decisions.

IMG_1791.jpg

We selected both the Greek Salad and a Spanakopita.

I’ve had bad Spanakopita and this was NOT bad Spanakopita. The cheese and spinach feeling was warm and not overly spinachy (which is easy to do) and the flaky, pastry crust was the pert amount of buttery flakiness.

The salad was also perfect. Drenched in dressing, of course, but the heavy amount of olive, feta, red onion, and cucumber was perfect.

Across from Greece was the new Charcuterie & Cheese Booth

I spy a V!

IMG_1810.jpg

We selected the cheese fondue with potatoes and croutons, but were a little disappointed with the amount of dippers for our fondue.

On top of the lack of dippers, the cheese was too sweet and cool. I believe this was our least favorite selection of the day. :/

Luckily, our least favorite was followed by our FAVORITE of the day.

IMG_1819.jpg

In Belgium we had the Freshly Baked Waffle with Berry Compote and Whipped Cream.

AMAZING! The waffle was crisp on the outside and soft and warm on the inside and the berry compote was thick, rich and delicious.

Two thumbs way up!

I know it’s a Food & Wine festival, but in the hot, glaring sun I am so much more of a beer girl.

IMG_1829.jpg

Every year Sam Adam’s brews a special beer specifically for the Food & Wine Festival. This year’s brew was the 15th Anniversary Coastal Wheat.

I love how they had small 6 oz pours this year. It was the perfect, light amount for someone who plans to do a lot of sampling. ;)

IMG_1839.jpg

With the Pecan Bread Pudding

mmmmmm…

Morocco!

IMG_1842.jpg

Falafel Pita Pocket

Another favorite. The falafel had a lot of spice and the crunchy slaw filling was a fresh, cool edition to the pita pocket. :)

We took a break from eating halfway around the showcase to enjoy some of the sights and rides of Epcot.

IMG_1849.jpg IMG_1850.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg IMG_1871.JPG

I LOVED Innoventions as a kid and was excited to see the exhibited had been re-vamped and re-opened earlier this year.

Innoventions is a cool place where you can participate in interactive exhibits ‘of the future.’ One of those exhibits had a spot where you could try a segway.

IMG_1886.JPG IMG_1887.JPG

I had never been on a Segway before (Yes, I know the own recently passed away in a tragic segway accident – ironic, no?) and found the whole experience very entertaining. Segways are great, if I wasn’t so cheap it might be fun to do a segway tour of a city sometime.

IMG_1888.jpg

I also got to make my own video game

They were suppose to e-mail me a link of the finished product, but I never got it! :(

It’s kind of cool though. They film you running, jumping, and dancing then use those images in an interactive video game that you play in the next booth over.

IMG_1897.jpg IMG_1898.jpg IMG_1899.jpg

If they ever send me the link I promise to post it. :)

Break over! More Food!

IMG_1902.JPG

Round II begins with Argentina!

IMG_1900.jpg

Roasted Corn & Cheese Empanada

IMG_1903.JPG

Another winner. The spicy corn was really what made this a winner. I love corn and thought it made a fabulous empanada filling.

IMG_1904.JPG

Every hot day needs Ice Cream. Good thing China delivered with a Caramel Ginger Ice Cream.

IMG_1906.jpg

The ginger was really strong in this one at first, but after a couple of bites I thought the spicy ginger was quite refreshing.

IMG_1909.JPG

During round II Kelly and I saw a group of friends celebrating a friend’s birthday with ‘Drinks around the world’ Shirts.

On the front it said ” We’re Gettin’ Down & Dirty ‘Cuz Jason’s B-day” And the back ” Drinks Around the World” with a list of all the showcase countries and a space to write the drink from that country.

IMG_1923.JPG

How fun is that? Next birthday I celebrate at Epcot (we celebrated Kelly’s 21st here in 2008) I am totally copying that idea!

IMG_1917.JPG

We toasted the birthday boy with a beer from Germany

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

Kelly and I split the 12oz Octoberfest.

IMG_1915.JPG

IMG_1916.JPG

The GRAND FINALE: Italy!!

IMG_1919.jpg

I’m pretty sure I was counting down to eating this all day.

IMG_1920.JPG

Definitely my second favorite of the day. I <3 cannolis!!!

IMG_1922.jpg

And that was that. :)

Kelly and I had a wonderful day eating our way around the world at Epcot. Such a fun time and definitely worth cheering on some amazing runners for. :)

Also, I would like to point out Kelly and I didn’t even cover all of the vegetarian options available at the Food & Wine Festival. If you are a veggie and heading to this year’s festival, I think we proved there are more than enough options available. Have no fear. Go. Have fun. and enjoy yourself without worrying there will be enough for you to eat. ;)

We headed home around 4:00 and I made a small dinner of brussel sprouts, peppers, mushrooms, and apple chicken sausage a few hours later.

IMG_1941.JPG

Simple. Easy. Delicious.

Boy did it feel good to cook in my own kitchen!

IMG_1934.JPG

It was a long week. A long weekend. And a long day.

TIme for bed!

Do you know what I’ll be doing a week from today?

10-10-10 Baby!

1 melissa (fitnessnyc) October 3, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Yay! Great day! I love that there are so many races on 10-10-10, it will be like running with friends around the country!
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Relive the Marathon Run

2 Bobbi October 3, 2010 at 10:40 pm

wohoo how fun can’t wait to hang with you girls in less then 5 days ;)!!!!! Are you thinking a blogger meet up???

3 Carly (Swim, Run, Om) October 3, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Yum! I hope to be there next year … the Wine & Dine Half looks like a really fun race to run. As does the wining and dining part. ;-)
Carly (Swim, Run, Om) recently posted..October routine

4 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 3, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I just told my Fiance that we are flying to Orland next year because of this post. He was confused, but I’m sure he’ll be happy about my decision once we get there.

5 Courtney October 3, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Glad you had fun! Are you arranging a meetup in Chicago? If so I would love to come :D

6 Shannon, Tropical Eats October 3, 2010 at 10:48 pm

that’s great they had lots of vegetarian options!! that t-shirt those guys made is amazing! glad you girls had a fun time :)
Shannon, Tropical Eats recently posted..Free

7 Tiffany October 3, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Cannolis are the BEST. Just reading those menu boards made me hungry, never mind all the pictures!!

8 Melissa @ TryingToHeal October 3, 2010 at 10:55 pm

so jealous, i remember you doing this last year…

one day!
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Attention Time

9 Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 3, 2010 at 10:58 pm

That looks like SO MUCH FUN!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Vegetarians Beware

10 Amanda October 3, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Ahhh I would have ended the day exactly the same as you! It doesn’t get any better than that!
Amanda recently posted..Introducing Me

11 Toronto Girl West October 4, 2010 at 12:19 am

You two are so very adorable! Derek looking so proud and you so smitten! It warms my heart! :)

And btw – what an awesome event! Sampling a lot of food and adult beverages is always a good time!
Toronto Girl West recently posted..“The Hunger Diaries” my take on the Marie Claire food blogger controversy

12 Lacey @ Lake Life October 4, 2010 at 12:29 am

The Food and Wine Festival sounds like a perfect way to sample ethnic cuisine without committing to just one restaurant!

/so jealous!

13 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat October 4, 2010 at 12:32 am

I didn’t realize how extensive their food and wine festival is! You’ve definitely got me sold on doing the food and wine half and festival next year!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Cat Nap

14 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) October 4, 2010 at 1:41 am

I’m moving to Orlando!! Well, I want to at least :)

Did I miss something–did you have to pay for the food or was it part of the event? Regardless, it all looks incredible. Worth staying up past your bed time, huh?
Allie (Live Laugh Eat) recently posted..24 Hours 4 Friends 1 Regret Project Food Blog Challenge 3

15 Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy October 4, 2010 at 2:18 am

The Land! I interned there way back in the day, in the greenhouses! Yes, the Food & Wine festival is epic – it’s a lot of $ to shell out for a one-day pass, but if you can get it for volunteering that’s an awesome idea. Can you get a pass if you ran the half marathon?

My friend just made drinking around the world shirts for her boyfriend’s birthday, with special fonts for each country – they looked professional!
Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy recently posted..Orlando Magic Arena Behind-the-Scenes Tour

16 Rachael October 4, 2010 at 6:28 am

You and your sister are so cute!! I LOVE your sandals. It looks like you had fun :)
Rachael recently posted..wannabe

17 Lauren October 4, 2010 at 6:47 am

Congrats to Dekrek! That is truly awesome. I can’t wait to follow his running journey now that he’s an official member of the “marathon” club. :)

What a fantastic day!
Lauren recently posted..The Beauty of Failing

18 Regan October 4, 2010 at 7:54 am

Hey Meghann, such a great post on the Food and Wine–I was supposed to attend but was unable to make it….in fact I was supposed to be part of that group that was drinking around the world. When I read that I was shocked ha ha, it is SUCH a SMALL world! I have been reading your blog for such a long time now, and alot of my family lives in the Orlando area. I just had to comment on that, because it is too crazy!
Well keep up the blogging, you’ve been such a great inspiration and looks like you had a blast—wish I was able to go :(

19 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 4, 2010 at 8:18 am

There’s no shame in that! I would have done the SAME thing, haha
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Do Men Prefer Women with Make-up

20 Lena @loveeatnowafter October 4, 2010 at 8:35 am

wow that looks so good and so much fun!! spanokopita is probably my favorite greek food! i need to find a way to make a vegan version…i miss it so much!

the pictures are gorgeousss and it looks like u had an amazing time!!
Lena @loveeatnowafter recently posted..A Study Weekend

21 Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. October 4, 2010 at 8:37 am

What a FUN day! I’m so jealous! I’m glad you and your sister had a great time!
Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..i love- love- love my blogging community

22 kate October 4, 2010 at 9:01 am

Id go on vaca to Disney just for the Food & Wine Festival!

23 Jordan October 4, 2010 at 9:17 am

Yum! I’ll be down there on Friday for Food and Wine AND the Halloween party. Can’t wait!
Jordan recently posted..The Beauty of Simplicity

24 RunningOnCoffee October 4, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I would love to sample my way around Epcot! Went there like 7 years ago I guess, and we had dinner in Epcot, but it was hard to choose just one place!

I like your last dish that you pictured with the brussel sprouts. Can you share how you prepared them? I tried to get adventurous and roast brussel sprouts in the oven with some seasoned basting oil, but I feel like they just didn’t turn out right. I’d like to try them again!

25 Lisa October 4, 2010 at 2:39 pm

What a fun event! I wish Portland had something like that. But maybe it’s a good thing because I’d eat way too much! :)
Lisa recently posted..Is It Working Yet

26 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) October 4, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I am so jealous! I went to the food & wine festival at Disneyland this year and it wasn’t nearly as exciting. Looks like you two had a blast. :)
Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) recently posted..Weight loss Saturday-a day late!

27 Erin October 4, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Sorry, but this does not look like the diet of someone with a food or exercise problem…love your blog! So glad that you sister was able to get out and have fun..going to school and working for nothing is not fun!! Being a social work student I can sympathize…Congrats to Derek! Keep writing this blog..it has inspired me in so many ways!!

28 Katie October 4, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Yummmm! It is so sad…I’ve lived in Florida for almost 10 years now and I have never been to the Epcot Food & Wine festival! I really need to put it on my to-do list!!! Looks like you had a wonderful time!
Katie recently posted..Music Monday