more ยป" />

There’s no backing out now

by Meghann on October 2, 2010

IMG_1646.jpg

Come 10:00 pm tonight Derek is running his first half marathon.

IMG_1647.jpg

I’m so proud. :)

Running a 10:00pm marathon is a tricky one. How does one mentally and physically prepare for a race so late in the evening? What does one eat?

Well, to prepare physically they take lots of naps.

After breakfast Derek went back to bed for two hours and he’s currently napping next to me in the hotel room.

And to eat?

Well, I’m not sure if a crab house is truly the best option, but, hey, it’s a start. :)

A couple of days ago I received an e-mail from my online friend, Dana, letting me know her fiance, Graham, and her would be running the Wine & Dine Half this weekend and asking if Derek and I were free to meet them for lunch.

I first ‘met’ Dana over a year ago when she had sent me a video that her and her then boyfriend had made documenting their first marathon. That video inspired me to document my own first marathon via flip camera, which led to many other racing videos (all can be found on the bottom of this page). Without her inspiration I’m not sure I would have ever thought to have created those videos!

Many of you might be familiar with the Running Love Story Dana had guest blogged about this past May. If that doesn’t sound familiar then I highly suggest you check it out here. *hint* it involves both a marathon and a proposal. ;)

The four of us met for lunch at Fulton’s Crab House in Downtown Disney.

I remember going her a lot as a kid, but can’t say I’ve ever gone back as an adult. I’m not sure why, it’s a great high scale restaurant with a great menu, ok prices, and great food.

Our table began with some hot sourdough bread and I had two slices.

While everyone else was carefully choosing what sort of meal they wanted before race time (Derek had veggie pasta with red sauce), I felt very happy to be able to choose what ever I wanted. Which in this case was the Seafood Cobb Salad.

The salad was piled high with egg, avocado, cucumber, tomato, crab, shrimp and scallops. It was a feast all in it’s own and I had barely made a dent in it when I was full. Despite his measures in being so careful in ordering his own meal, Derek had no problem polishing off the rest of my salad. :)

After lunch I wanted to get Derek a post-race treat so I brought the group to Goofy’s Candy Co to build our own candy encrusted masterpieces.

On the way we made a pit stop at Ghirardelli where they were handing out the seasonal Pumpkin Spice Caramel Chocolates.

Very pumpkiny!

The concept is easy at Goofy’s. You pick a base, you pick a chocolate, you pick a coating, and you pick a drizzle. You hand it off and it’s created right in front of you.

Our new friends were fans. :)

Derek and I selected the Rice Krispie Treat dipped in Dark Chocolate, coated in crushed Butterfinger, and drizzled with White Chocolate.

I had a couple of bites for quality control purposes. :)

IMG_1625.JPG IMG_1628.JPG

The rest will be saved for later!

IMG_1633.jpg

Expo Time!

T-minus 5 hours until race time!

Here goes nothing. :)

1 Heather October 2, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Good luck Derek!!

I really wish you weren’t so cautious of what you ate! I don’t mean this in a bad way, but you are running a marathon, ran 10 miles this morning, yet you ordered a salad for lunch and only had a couple bites of dessert for “control purposes.” I wish you lived it up more, you deserve it!!

2 Shannon, Tropical Eats October 2, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Derek you are going to do amazing!!!!

Downtown Disney is my FAVORITE. Gotta love free stuff at Disney! For some reason my fam and I always end up eating at Rainforest or Earl of Sandwich.. but I’ve always wanted to try Fulton’s! Especially since it’s on the water.

LOVED reading about their running love story :) Have fun tonight!

3 Michelle October 2, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Hi Meghann

I was just wondering if you saw the article in Marie Clare about healthy living bloggers? I was pretty shocked at what the article said. I felt like they went through years worth of posts and looked for the most negative things they could find. I just wanted to say that I in no way think you have a problem with food or exercising and that you have encouraged me and I am sure countless others to try new food and start running. Keep up the great work and good luck to Derek tonight!

4 Heather October 2, 2010 at 5:43 pm

the make your own RCT’s are my FAVORITE disney treat. I was SO upset last summer when they went up on price and stopped letting them be a snack credit on the dining plan (we used to stock up with 6 or 7!) Now I am craving one! GL to Derek tonight! can’t wait for pictures!

5 Toronto Girl West October 2, 2010 at 5:55 pm

You know what I’ve decided I really like about your blog? You don’t talk about tapers and all sorts of other running talk. And yet it’s a blog where running is a huge part!

You strike a good balance. Sometimes other blogs just stress me out! lol ;)

6 Heather October 2, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Looks like so much fun! I would love to do this race next year – I did the 1/2 last January in the freezing cold. It would be so fun to do at night!

7 christina cadden October 2, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Looks like so much fun! Good luck to the runners!

8 christina cadden October 2, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Does Dana have a blog?

9 Erica October 2, 2010 at 6:56 pm

BEST OF LUCK!!!!!! Rock it ;)

10 Liz @ LBBakes October 2, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Oh my gosh, I just watched that proposal video – crazy!! So awesome. Good luck tonight!

11 Krystina October 2, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Good luck Derek!!!! :D

12 jessica October 2, 2010 at 7:46 pm

i hate waking up to run, but i can’t imagine starting my half at 10 pm. oh my goodness. good luck derek!

13 Matt October 2, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Good luck Derek!

14 Amanda October 2, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Good luck to Derek! It sounds like a fun first half-marathon race!

15 Fallon October 2, 2010 at 8:34 pm

What a fun race. The 10pm time must be tricky. Can’t wait to hear how everything worked out. Good luck!

16 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. October 2, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Good luck Derek!!! :)

17 Lee October 2, 2010 at 8:52 pm

That’s kind of cool that the race is at night time, although I do agree that preparing for it is…different. Good luck to Derek.

18 Pam October 2, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Good luck to Derek!

19 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 2, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Goofy’s looks pretty damn sweet. That’s an awesome idea.

20 Alyssa October 2, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Oh my gosh, I wish there was a chocolate place like that in MN!!!

Good luck Derek!!! :)

21 Katie October 2, 2010 at 9:43 pm

GO DEREK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wishing you all the luck! You have a wonderful, beautiful, and sweet girl I know for support, so you will do great!!!!

22 Madeline - Greens and Jeans October 2, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Good luck to Derrick! He’s going to rock it!

23 Katherine Morgan October 2, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I have a confession…

I’ve been following your blog for awhile, I don’t know, maybe 6 months. I watched that proposal video back then and I thought it was you and Derek this whole time. So um…are you guys not engaged then? lol! Oops!

Good Luck on the race!

24 Paige @ Running Around Normal October 2, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Good luck Derek!!! :)
Goofy’s sounds insanely delicious.

25 Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 2, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Awwww goooo Derek!

26 caronae October 2, 2010 at 11:42 pm

I’m pretty sure Derek is running at this exact moment (I didn’t see this post until just now) but wanted to let you know that I’m thinking of him and wishing him good luck! Go Derek Go!

27 Elizabeth October 3, 2010 at 10:16 am

That race looks like so much fun. My friends that were running said they stopped a bit during it to take pictures of all the Disney fun. I plan on running the Disney Princess Half Marathon because the Disney races look so cool. Do you like the Disney races?

28 Brittany (Eating Bird Food) October 3, 2010 at 10:49 am

I hope Derek’s first half was amazing! I can’t wait to hear how it went.

Thanks so much for posting about Dana’s Running Love Story again – I missed it back in May so this was my first time seeing the video. I know finishing a marathon is very emotional so I can only imagine how Dana felt when Graham proposed. And, I love that their family was able to wait at the finish line to film it and congratulate them!

29 chris October 3, 2010 at 6:31 pm

good luck .. should be a lot of fun

30 Lacey @ Lake Life October 3, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Goofy’s Candy Co sounds like an awesome concept, but butterfinger-coated rice crispy treat sounds like it’d be rough on the roof of your mouth!