On My Way Home

by Meghann on October 1, 2010

Remind me to send a Thank You note to my good friend at Winocular for his top notch chocolate stash at his booth the past two days.

IMAG0226.jpg

I’m not even 100% sure what Winocular is, but anyone who offers me Intense Dark Ghirardelli Chocolate has won my heart. Winocular what? Sign me up!

In my opinion good chocolate can make or break a booth. I learned my lesson this week – next tradeshow I work at, I’m bringing the good stuff. Ghiraedelli, Reeses, and Snickers all the way! πŸ˜‰

The morning conference sessions wrapped up earlier than expected. Fine by me. My boss and I were on the road before 10. πŸ™‚

IMAG0228.jpg

I had an apple on the drive back to Denver.

IMAG0227.jpg

My boss and I were chatting non-stop the whole way back into town. I now know more about my boss than I probably would ever want to know, but it was great to bond with her this way. She is a very successful, smart business woman and I could learn a lot from the decisions she has made in her life to get her where she is today.

Did you know my boss successfully ran and built a multi-million dollar company from the ground up? She sold it into a publicly traded company a couple of years ago and had semi-retired before taking on the position as VP of Sales & Marketing at my current company. She didn’t ‘need’ the job, but was bored and wanted a new project. It must be nice to take a job on your own terms knowing no matter what you already have enough money in the bank to keep you afloat.

We had time to kill before our flight and decided to stop for a nice lunch on the way.

Sandia was a great little Mexican restaurant about 10 miles from the airport. The weather was gorgeous – sunny skies, temps in the mid 70s, a nice breeze – and perfect for enjoying a nice lunch outside on the patio.

We began with the made-fresh-at-your-table guacamole.

IMG_1539.JPG IMG_1541.JPG

The guacamole was pretty mild, but very fresh tasting. I had about half a dozen or chips with the green dip.

When ever I dine at a Mexican Restaurant I find it impossible to choose just one item and always find myself gravitating towards the combination platters. Why pick just one thing when you have the option of three?

Mushroom Quesadilla

Tortilla Soup

Mixed Greens

The presentation for all three was beautiful and the flavor was right up there too. Everything fro the fresh corn in the mixed greens to the amount of melty cheese in the quesadilla was perfect. πŸ™‚

Confession: I brought The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo to read on the flight, but have been a little intimidated to start it. Long book, slow beginning, complicated storyline? I know people say it’s good, but it’s not exactly my style of book. :/

Instead I spotted this little number at Target in Denver and immediately tossed the other book to the side.

Mini Shopaholic?!?!?!? Umm… YES PLEASE! πŸ™‚

I’m a HUGE fan of the Shopaholic series and have read every book in the series at least twice. Only a few pages into this edition and I’m already. A mindless read is much more my style. πŸ˜‰

I grabbed a yogurt parfait at the airport to eat on the plane.

And just dug into a mini bag of Peanut Butter M&Ms.

Hopefully, I’ll be pressing publish on this post when we land at 10:30 EST. Only three days away and I’m already ready to be back home. πŸ™‚

Have a great night!

1 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat October 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is definitely worth it. I love quick read books too, but it didn’t take me long to get into the The Girl… series.

I’ve been eyeing the Mini Shopaholic book lately, but I’m not sure I’d like it (I’ve only read the first Shopaholic book and I just thought it was OK). Let us know how it is!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Feeding the Hunger Monster

2 Kristy @ KristyRuns October 1, 2010 at 11:00 pm

That’s wonderful that you have such an open and good relationship with your boss! The more I work, i realize that good bosses are few an far between. πŸ˜‰ Welcome back to the east coast!
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Adventure in the Woods

3 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston October 1, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I can’t wait to read mini shopaholic as well — I’ve read the shopaholic books multiple times as well — so good and funny!
Katie @ Healthy Heddleston recently posted..Nine Divine

4 Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 1, 2010 at 11:13 pm

I love love love that author!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Vegetarians Beware

5 Tina October 1, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I’m all about the more mindless reads lately. I had to return The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo to the library today and wasn’t even 50 pages in! I never had time to get into it. I’m borrowing it though and still plan to read it.
Tina recently posted..it has never felt so good to sit

6 Carly October 2, 2010 at 12:35 am

That guacamole looks amazing.
I am a huge fan of the shoppaholic series too. I have not read that one, will you be posting a review? The movie was so disappointing!

7 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) October 2, 2010 at 2:51 am

I’m always scared to go to Mexican restaurants because the food is always so heavy and does sit well in my stomach, but your platter looks really good–light but filling!!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Kenai River Marathon Relay

8 Maria @ runningcupcake October 2, 2010 at 4:16 am

The Millenium trilogy is totally worth sticking with- loads of issues about treatement of women in all 3 books. I found them total page-turners and didnt want the last book to end. Did you know the author died in his 50s and there were loads of conspiracy theories in sweden about him, as he was similar to blomkvist in that he was an investigative journalist and was into exposing big companies, corrupt politicians etc. Plus he had actually planned more than the 3 so its a shame that the next books were never written. So stick with it I say πŸ™‚
Maria @ runningcupcake recently posted..Pinch and a punch

9 Stephanie October 2, 2010 at 5:18 am

I Love love love the shopaholic series and everything by Sophia Kinsela/Madeline Wickham! I can’t wait to check this one out!!! I agree with you, I mush prefer an easy funny and mindless read
Stephanie recently posted..My First Race

10 Whitney @ Whitinspired October 2, 2010 at 7:46 am

How did I not know that book was out?! I was completely obsessed with that series. I might be running out to pick that up today.
Whitney @ Whitinspired recently posted..Here comes the sun

11 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 2, 2010 at 8:23 am

Mmm that tortilla soup and guacamole look pretty awesome.

I read Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I really liked the murder mystery. There is a side plot about corporate swindling that I didn’t care too much for which made the end of the book a little bit of a snoozer.

12 Elizabeth October 2, 2010 at 8:41 am

I love getting advice from my boss too because there is so much I can learn. Definitely take advantage that you can talk to her like that. And I’m with you on the book choice.

13 Matt October 2, 2010 at 9:13 am

Your boss sounds awesome! I wish my boss was that cool…
Matt recently posted..Huevos Rancheros

14 Cynthia (It All Changes) October 2, 2010 at 9:21 am

I love that the restaurant is called “the watermelon.” Such a wonderful spanish word.

I keep eyeing that book at Target but hoping my library will get it in. I might have to break down and buy it because I love Rebecca Bloomwood.

15 Sarah w October 2, 2010 at 9:42 am

You were lucky enough to eat at one of the best Mexican restaurants out there! And la sandia is a very very small chain. I happen to work in Tysons, va (and live nearby to) so we go to la sandia a few times a yr. It’s my fav!!! I went for a coworkera birthday lunch earlier this week and got the exact thing you got delish! I also highly recommend their baja fish tacos. la sandia is the best!!!! They also have an amazing cocktail which is a blood orange margarita using a chili infused tequila. So orgasmic!!!!

16 Fancy October 2, 2010 at 9:53 am

I agree with Whitney….how did I not know the new Shopaholic was out?!? I have read the whole series (twice) and I am so excited! Thanks for the heads up, Meghann! πŸ™‚ Let us know what you think about it!

17 christina cadden October 2, 2010 at 10:08 am

Sounds like it was a good trip and that food looks amazing!

18 Lee October 2, 2010 at 10:30 am

I could not get into the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo at all. I read about 100 pages and stopped.

19 Jessica October 2, 2010 at 10:52 am

I just started reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and it did start out slow, but it has me hooked now. The hard part about the book is all the Swedish terms and cities…I have a hard time understanding words I can’t pronounce πŸ™‚

But I definitely think you should give it a try when you have the time.

20 Jess October 2, 2010 at 11:37 am

La Sandia is right by my office. I was just there on Wednesday!
Jess recently posted..Potato State Wedding

21 Shannon, Tropical Eats October 2, 2010 at 11:54 am

Love that you switched to the other book! i would do that too! lol
Shannon, Tropical Eats recently posted..Free

22 April B. October 2, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I’m also trying to get into “The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo” and am having a hard time. It’s ok so far, just not a page turner. I’m probably going to pick up something else to bring to Chicago that will be a bit more of a mindless, fun read. Love the Shopaholic series!
April B. recently posted..Turn the Virtual World Pink!

23 Heather October 2, 2010 at 2:18 pm

OMG, thanks for posting that book, I have to go get that! I’m way behind on my favorite authors, I didn’t know Nicholas Sparks had a new one either.
Heather recently posted..Great Expectations

24 Kate October 2, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Hehe. I definitely liked Mini Shopaholic better than Dragon Tattoo too πŸ™‚
Kate recently posted..Some September Stats

25 Niki (Running In Pink) October 2, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I just picked up the new Shopaholic book the other day, too! I was so surprised (and happy!) to see a new one out! I’m glad you’re enjoying it so far. Let me know how you like it when you finish. I think I will read it after I finish what I’m reading now, which happens to be The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. πŸ™‚
Niki (Running In Pink) recently posted..It’s a Boy!! A Slightly Abbreviated Birth Story

26 Halley (Blunder Consruction) October 3, 2010 at 10:04 am

Same feelings on Girl with Dragon Tattoo. Maybe it’s just not a great ‘travelling book’, but I couldn’t get into it either. I want to finish it before the movie comes out!

27 Lacey @ Lake Life October 3, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I saw Mini Shopaholic the other day at B&N and was shocked! I hadn’t heard ANYTHING about another Shopaholic book coming out. I almost bought it but decided to wait for paperback πŸ™
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Roasting in the kitchen

28 Clare @ Fitting It All In October 4, 2010 at 12:54 pm

1 – I had PB M&Ms on my flight last night too:)
2 – The dragon tattoo series is SO intimidating and a little slow to start out, but SO SO good! I know I know you hear that all the time…but I would really suggest reading it!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..On Peanut Flour and Recovery