A Sunrise Run in the Mountains

by Meghann on September 30, 2010

Good Morning Keystone.

IMG_1464.jpg

I may or may not be a little obsessed with the view from my room. Why can’t I wake up to this beauty every morning? 🙂

Don’t let the sunrise shots fool ya. I was WIDE AWAKE at 4:00am this morning. Despite being very, very tired I had an awful time falling asleep last night. It was warm in my room and my mind just wouldn’t calm down. Once I did fall asleep I kept waking up throughout the night, until I finally said screw it and got out of be at 4:00 (6:00 EST).

It wasn’t too bad though. I was able to get a lot of work done between the hours of 4:00 and 5:30 and had plenty of time to pump myself up for my sunrise run in the mountains.

IMG_1470.jpg

I haven’t had to pull out my cold weather running gear in MONTHS. It felt strange to put a jacket on before I went out the door.

I found a fun path outside of my condo that took me to the ski area of the mountain. It was kind of erie to see a brown mountain covered with empty chair lifts and exposed ‘magic carpet’ mats. All the ski shops were in shambles in the inside with last season’s equipment being replaced with the newest thing for next season.

It was very quiet and lonely. Not the Keystone I’ve grown to know and love over the years. This early morning out of season mountain was completely different.

My garmin was being wonky, so I have no idea how far I ran. Maybe 3 miles? They were slow miles. I was cold and having trouble catching my breath in the thin air. Instead of focusing on speed I took my time and just took in all my surroundings.

After my run I was able to take my time showering, doing my hair (yay – good curling weather!), and preparing for my day at the conference.

IMAG0218.jpg

There was a continental buffet set up for breakfast that consisted of fruit, pastries, and donuts. I made a plate of fresh fruit (x2) and a cinnamon apple pastry.

IMAG0215.jpg

My breakfast needed something substantial or I knew I was going to starve. Thankfully I had an emergency Larabar in my purse to pair with it.

I have a full day of conference events ahead of me. Best get to it!

1 Bec September 30, 2010 at 11:41 am

The views are breathtaking, have a great day conferencing!

2 Marci September 30, 2010 at 11:51 am

So pretty, isn’t the cooler weather great?! I love Colorado and sunrise by yourself is so peaceful.
Marci recently posted..Three Things Thursday

3 Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life September 30, 2010 at 11:52 am

I hate running in cold gear because by the end I’m dying!!
Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life recently posted..Reporting from Harvard

4 Heather September 30, 2010 at 11:52 am

I remember about 5 years ago I had a conference at keystone too. The food was never good! Hopefully it has changed. Also, BE CAREFUL RUNNING there! I don’t run, but I have a co-worker that does and she ran while she was there and got very sick and had to go to the hospital.

5 Allison September 30, 2010 at 11:56 am

Wow, the views there are amazing! I have only ever been to Steamboat, Colorado during the winter for skiing, but now I can totally see myself heading up there late-summer, fall. What an amazing run it must have been!
~Allison
Fit&Fab Living
Allison recently posted..Biggest Loser Season 10- Episode 2

6 sally katê October 1, 2010 at 5:18 pm

these pics are don’t even start to really show what we see everyday in colorado- I live in steamboat, its amazing- the saying is you come for the winters but stay for the summers 🙂 plus running races are sea level are much easier when you train at 7000 feet 🙂

7 Megan @ AVeryMegGirl September 30, 2010 at 11:56 am

What beautiful sights Meghann! I have never been but it looks breathtaking!
Megan @ AVeryMegGirl recently posted..Moma’s Home Cookin’

8 ashleigh September 30, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Wow it looks SO nice there!! Makes me want to go to CO right now. Good luck w/ the conferences!
ashleigh recently posted..Vegetarian Chili and a Fun List

9 Kelly September 30, 2010 at 12:16 pm

The views are gorgeous. Love it!
Kelly recently posted..That Time Again!

10 Briana September 30, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Beautiful pictures, such a treat for you to be running in the mountains, lucky!!!! Enjoy Colorado 🙂

11 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) September 30, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Wow, So gorgeous! I never sleep well in a different bed the first night.
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Kenai River Marathon Relay

12 Marge September 30, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I am used to “sea level” running and boy was it weird running in CO at 10,000+ ft. on my trip there last month. It felt hard to push myself, though it was not that my breathing was heavy. My miles were also slow. It almost felt like my muscles wouldn’t work. But after my run, I felt like I was gasping for air. It was an odd sensation, but I hear it is common. How did you feel after?

13 brandi September 30, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Wow – what a morning view!

I had to pull out my running pants + jacket yesterday since it was only 55 degrees! I’m not ready for winter gear yet!

14 Matt September 30, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Did you notice the change in the altitude while you were running?
Matt recently posted..Mexican Tofu Scramble Over Spelt Biscuits

15 Tina September 30, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I hate when I have nights like that. Sadly they have been more often lately. Drives me crazy.
Tina recently posted..it has never felt so good to sit

16 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 30, 2010 at 1:36 pm

So gorgeous!
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..You can’t tell me what to eat!

17 Karen @ Not Just Celery September 30, 2010 at 1:44 pm

What a beautiful place! I haven’t been to CO yet but it’s on my list of places to see! You may have had trouble breathing because of the elevation. I tried running 3 miles on a treadmill in Bogota, Colombia last year and thought I was going to die. I couldn’t figure out what the problem was (I had even slowed down) until my friend said something about how high above sea level Bogota is…same thing with CO compared to FL!
Karen @ Not Just Celery recently posted..2011 Goal

18 Lisa September 30, 2010 at 2:02 pm

What a scenic place to vacation! And run!! I’d be out there very morning.
Lisa recently posted..Make Your Own Special Occasion

19 Madeline September 30, 2010 at 2:27 pm

That looks so beautiful! But be careful running in Colorado, there are mountain lions that will actually follow early morning runners!

20 Laura @ Tidbits September 30, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Wow!! I wouldn’t mind visiting there one day. Just gorgeous!

21 sweetersalt September 30, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Love good curling weather, or in my case, good straightening weather 🙂

Laura
sweetersalt recently posted..Apple Butter

22 [email protected] September 30, 2010 at 2:58 pm

What a beautiful view!

23 Ali September 30, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Those pictures are amazing! I love running in new places, but sometimes get a little scared if I am going in the early morning. Blah- I am not looking forward to cold weather running clothes.
Ali recently posted..In Other News Literally-

24 MaryBe September 30, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Thank you for those gorgeous photos! You definitely have a dream job. You must pinch yourself every day LOL!
MaryBe recently posted..Minty Wellness Hotel and Spa – A Review

25 Heather September 30, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Those pics are so pretty, I really need to go to CO sometimes, I’ve always wanted to visit.

26 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 30, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Wow, what beautiful scenery. It looks truly spectacular! It must have been fun to run in a new place.
Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) recently posted..One Size Doesn’t Fit All

27 Erica September 30, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Ummm totally gorgeous! What a cool spot. Love the new laras.
Erica recently posted..Chocolate Cherry Almond Meal Cookies

28 kate September 30, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Gorgeous view!

29 Shanna, like Banana September 30, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I too pack food in my purse when I go to conferences. It makes such a difference when the talks are getting long and you feel yourself nodding off (or your mind starts drifting).

And yes, the views ROCK!
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..Enchiladas for the season

30 Katherine September 30, 2010 at 5:20 pm

How lucky you are to get to travel for work. Colorado is gorgeous. I wish it was already jacket season here, but we’ve got another month or so to go.

Enjoy your time there!
Katherine recently posted..Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse For the Non-Meat Eater

31 Heather September 30, 2010 at 7:26 pm

so beautiful! so weird to see the mountains not covered in snow!
Heather recently posted..A Day in the Country

32 Elizabeth September 30, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I’ve never been to Colorado, but it looks absolutely gorgeous even if it isn’t season yet. I’m dying to go on a ski trip this year.
You travel so much, do you have a favorite destination? Or favorite place you’ve been to?

33 Melissa September 30, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Ok, this clinches it. I’m going to Colorado!
Melissa recently posted..Dinner Rescue

34 Cate September 30, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Wow it looks really nice there! I have never been to Colorado, but have always wanted to go. Lucky you for having the opportunity to travel to beautiful places!
Cate recently posted..Race Recap- Miracle Miles 5K

35 Emily [Emilyeatsclean] September 30, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Too bad that conference isn’t outside….what gorgeous views!!
Emily [Emilyeatsclean] recently posted..Saved by the mag

36 Erin October 1, 2010 at 9:58 am

I have been reading your blog for the last few weeks and just love to look at your pics and hear your stories. I am a new runner and I am trying to clean up my eating habits. I find that yours and a few other blogs (most from your blogroll) are giving me lots of ideas and inspiration. I just had to pass on to you that I picked up some Pumpkin Spice Coffee at the Fresh Market last night…lol..can’t wait to wake up to it tomorrow! YUM!!! Have a safe trip home!

37 crystal October 1, 2010 at 4:09 pm

SOOOO freaking beauitful! I can’t wait to go to Denver next month!