It Beats Sitting at a Desk

by Meghann on September 29, 2010

Shopping, Sight Seeing, and Spa Treatments?

Have I told you how much I love traveling with my boss?

Because I do! πŸ˜‰

When I booked the flights for my boss, Lisa, and I for Colorado last week I had three options:

1. Take an early direct flight with the option to leisurely find our way to keystone before the reception at 6:00pm
  2. Take a non-direct flight that had us going up and town before arriving in Colorado who knows when
  3. Take the later direct flight that had us arriving in Keystone after the 6:00 pm reception.

I think it’s pretty obvious the choice I made.

IMG_1299.jpg

The leisurely make our way up the mountain option of course. πŸ˜‰

IMG_1376.jpg

We landed in Denver around 9:00am and after grabbing our bags and our rental car, it was 10:00am and we were ready for lunch. Too early? Probably.

I had a mini bag of almonds before we left Denver and managed to make it to Idaho Springs where we waited for Beau Jo’s to open and serve us lunch at 11:00.

Beau Jo’s and I go way back. πŸ˜‰ It’s actually the place where I had my first reader meet up back in February 2009 (recap here). I remember being very fond of their delicious mountain pies and knew it would be a great place to stop as we made our way up to Keystone.

Did you know the Boulder location of Beau Jo’s has appeared on an episode of Man V Food?

Derek was VERY jealous when I texted him to let him know I was eating at a Man V Food restaurant without him. I’m pretty sure I lost some good girlfriend points with this one.

Lisa and I both started with the salad bar

How cute are the antique bath tubs that the salad bar sits in?!?!

I LOVED Beau Jo’s Menu. Not only did they have a vast variety of great options, they also devoted an entire page of the menu to my Gluten-Free friends.

There’s also a ‘Smart Meal’ section of the menu with lighter, healthier options. The ‘create your own’ option from this section was what caught my eye.

My selections:

1. Size: Individual
  2. Base: The Whole Wheat Mountain Pie Crust
  3. Sauce: BBQ Sauce
  4. Vegetable: Onion, Olives, Tomatoes, Pineapple, Banana Peppers
  5. Protein: Tofu
  6. Cheese: Feta & Ricotta

Check out that crust!

High doughy crust on the outside, a thin crunchy crust on the inside.

I should have done a size comparison because this individual pizza really was the perfect size. At about the size of a a small salad plate, it was the perfect filling amount of veggies, crust, and cheese. It was also amazingly delicious. The BBQ sauce had a slight spice to it and the sweet pineapple and salty feta were the perfect complement to it. Yum, Yum, and more Yum! πŸ™‚

After lunch I discovered the cutest little store called the Soap Shop

Everything inside was beautiful, fresh, and smelled amazing.

IMG_1303.jpg IMG_1307.JPG

It’s all natural, organic, and the majority of the soap is made by hand in the store. I went a little crazy selecting some bath salts, a mud mask, and hand cremes to take home with me.

IMG_1325.jpg IMG_1327.JPG

Over the mountains and through the woods, to Keystone we go!

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1402.JPG IMG_1403.JPG IMG_1404.JPG IMG_1405.JPG

After a couple of detours we made it to Keystone with a couple of hours to spare. Apparently a couple of hours to spare means ‘let’s check out the spa’ to my boss. And, I mean, who am I to deny my boss?

Oh look. What do we have here? A special? Well, I mean… if you insist. πŸ˜‰

Please note this is not a typical travel for work activity and the price for the massage came from my own pocket.

IMAG0205.jpg

But… it sure beats sitting at my desk at the office. πŸ˜‰

IMAG0207.jpg

I opted for the 50 minute customizable massage and requested deep tissue with an emphasis on my back and legs. The masseuse was a marathoner herself and knew exactly what she was doing. She even informed me that a lot of elite runners receive daily massages as a performance enhancer. She suggested I have one more massage a few days before the race to make sure my muscles were all in tip top shape before the big day. Sounds good to me!

I emerged from my massage feeling refreshed and renewed and was immediately greeted with some grapes.

IMAG0208.jpg

And a glass of white wine.

IMAG0209.jpg

Like I said, it sure beats sitting at a desk!

IMAG0210.jpg

Along with the amazing spa, the room we’re staying in aren’t bad either.

My one bedroom condo reminds me of the places my family stays when we ski. I comes complete with a full kitchen, dining area, bathroom, living room, separate bedroom and a teeny tiny balcony.

My favorite part is the view!

You don’t get a view like this at home.

I had a granola bar while settling into my room.

Tonight’s cocktail hour was very low key. My company is a sponsor for the event, so we have a booth that we will be manning tomorrow, but tonight was 100% social. We were able to relax and mingle with a few clients as well as potential clients.

IMAG0213.jpg

There was a Taco Bar set up, as well as some salad options and drinks.

I sat down with a small plate of the blue cheese & pecan salad

IMAG0211.jpg

And had a local beer (I <3 Colorado Microbrews!)

IMAG0212.jpg

After cocktails, my boss and I headed to the hotel bar for a light dinner of bread, soup, and veggies.

Bread

Soup

Veggie

A few clients came by ready to drink, but I was so tried I could barely keep my head up. My bed was calling my name and I was happy to listen.

Must. Sleep. Now.

Good Night!

1 Kristina @ spabettie September 30, 2010 at 12:00 am

it is VERY true… getting a massage a few days before a race DOES AMAZING THINGS. then another two days after. πŸ˜€
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..Biggest Loser

2 Emily September 30, 2010 at 12:06 am

You’re in my corner of the world… Welcome Meghann. . . I’m a runner too and I don’t usually post, but just thought I’d say hi.

3 Rachel Wilkerson September 30, 2010 at 12:08 am

Oh, wow, your job is just awful.

Seriously, though…no words for that pizza.
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..The 14th Rule

4 Sana September 30, 2010 at 12:09 am

I am glad you got that massage! It is so worth it to treat yourself!
Sana recently posted..Swoon for Roons

5 Carolyn @ lovinlosing September 30, 2010 at 12:21 am

Have fun! I know you must be tired. I came from EST to Pacific time today and am exhausted!
Carolyn @ lovinlosing recently posted..We Made It

6 Monica Olivas September 30, 2010 at 12:38 am

Ahhh! I didn’t realize you were out of town today πŸ™‚ Have a good trip!
Monica Olivas recently posted..Rearranging Things and a Rant

7 SaraRM September 30, 2010 at 12:40 am

HOW FUN!! I mean… tough day

8 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 30, 2010 at 12:49 am

Your company hiring? πŸ™‚

Enjoy Denver! Thanks for the restaurant review- I’m actually headed to the city in two weeks.

9 Matt September 30, 2010 at 6:20 am

Wow you have a really cool job! I am super jealous!
Matt recently posted..New Found Love

10 Kristy @ KristyRuns September 30, 2010 at 6:43 am

Ok. This is hands down my favorite post ever! This looks like the perfect day! While I’m slaving away in my window-less office today, I’ll live vicariously through your adventures in Colorado!

11 Lauren September 30, 2010 at 6:47 am

So this is quite a business trip!!! You are making every working woman very jealous this morning. πŸ™‚ Have an awesome time Meghann!
Lauren recently posted..High School Visit

12 Cailin @ Stir Crazy September 30, 2010 at 7:31 am

You are smart to include some fun into your work trip! Looks like your early flight paid off πŸ™‚
I want that pizza!
Cailin @ Stir Crazy recently posted..Day 10 Final Day!- Clean Eating Challenge

13 Shannon @ Freshman Yr September 30, 2010 at 7:42 am

Omg I must get to colorado now! You lucky woman! Have a great rest of the weekend
Shannon @ Freshman Yr recently posted..Reporting from Harvard

14 Lee September 30, 2010 at 8:02 am

It’s so gorgeous there. It’s posts like these that make me wonder why I live in Georgia! Although, it has it’s own perks, I suppose.
Lee recently posted..Real Dinners

15 Sarah September 30, 2010 at 8:08 am

What a fantastic work trip! I hope the rest of your stay is just as much fun:).
Sarah recently posted..Last Night

16 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 30, 2010 at 8:19 am

First I thought Cute salad bar!

…then I though ewwww… salad in a bathtub?!?
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..You can’t tell me what to eat!

17 brandi September 30, 2010 at 8:22 am

it’s such a cute town! I’ve never been to CO, but those views are just beautiful!

18 rachael September 30, 2010 at 8:24 am

Definitely beats sitting at a desk!

19 Paige September 30, 2010 at 8:30 am

Unrelated, but did you see there is a groupon deal for photo canvases?

20 Tina September 30, 2010 at 8:46 am

I want to go on that trip!! Even if work related. That pizza looks perfect. I love little natural beauty shops like that and just walking around little towns. And you can’t beat a massage. Glad you’re having so much fun!
Tina recently posted..it has never felt so good to sit

21 Emily September 30, 2010 at 9:05 am

Did you dip your pizza crust in honey? (It’s a Beau Jo’s tradition.) I live in Denver, and I am realizing that I MUST make a trip through Loveland Pass to see the aspens–and soon! Enjoy your time in the mountains. I think this is one of the best times of year to be in CO.
Emily recently posted..Epic Lunch

22 Heather September 30, 2010 at 9:12 am

how beautiful! love how the colors are changing for fall. so pretty! I am getting a massage today and yourpost got me excited!
Heather recently posted..A Day in the Country

23 Heather @ Side of Sneakers September 30, 2010 at 9:19 am

Oh my gosh that place looks amazing!! Glad you get to have some fun while you’re working πŸ˜‰
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..The 3 Styles of Vacation Eating

24 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) September 30, 2010 at 9:27 am

definitely beats sitting at a desk. can i have your job?? πŸ™‚

25 Kate September 30, 2010 at 9:34 am

I am SO beyond jealous you’re in Colorado right now! That’s where I lived for 5 years and I fondly remember going to Keystone to ski and for fraternity formals! I LOVE Easy Street! I hope you have fun!

26 Beth @ DiningAndDishing September 30, 2010 at 9:48 am

um yes that sure does beat sitting at a desk! totally jealous – wish my company would send me somewhere fun like that!

27 Amy H September 30, 2010 at 9:55 am

I LOVE Beau Jo’s. It is seriously my favorite pizza EVER. I live in Boulder, and they bring out honey on the side to put on the crust as a sort of “dessert.” Did the one in Keystone do that? It oddly gives the crust a cinnamony flavor. I still don’t know how they do it. Now you have me craving Beau Jo’s:)

28 Kathleen @morethaneasymac September 30, 2010 at 10:13 am

Your blog post is so making me want to go to Colorado! Gorgeous pictures.
Kathleen @morethaneasymac recently posted..Veggie Friendly

29 Jess September 30, 2010 at 10:15 am

I love reading about someone else’s trip to Colorado. I live near Boulder and I definitely take for granted the beautiful mountains…and Beau Jo’s…mmm.
Jess recently posted..Potato State Wedding

30 Shanna, like Banana September 30, 2010 at 10:29 am

Fantastic view and lovely fall colors! Awesome! AND you get to wear boots, which is a bonus πŸ™‚
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..Enchiladas for the season

31 Renee September 30, 2010 at 10:46 am

You made me so jealous that you were in Colorado, I adore it there πŸ™‚ And I’m a huge fan of BeauJo’s as well, when we’re out there- our relatives usually take us to the one in Boulder, tasty πŸ™‚ You’ll have to have some more extra fun for me!

32 Biz September 30, 2010 at 10:51 am

The view is stunning! I actually thought of you last night when I was making this pumpkin soup – I thought you would really like it –

Hope your event goes well!

33 Nic September 30, 2010 at 10:52 am

My one request… please let me know when your job is going to post an opening! Enjoy yourself girl, you deserve it!
Nic recently posted..Double Chocolate Thursday!

34 Clare @ Fitting It All In September 30, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I wish St. Louis had a pizza place like that where you can make your own with good veggie options! If we do, someone please tell me where!!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..I’m In Love with a Foam Roller

35 Ali September 30, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I am loving the salad bar in the bathtubs and all the different pizza options at Beau Jo’s. Looks like a great day. I think it is awesome that you get along so well with your boss πŸ™‚
Ali recently posted..In Other News Literally-

36 Lisa September 30, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Man I want that job! What a gorgeous place to visit.
Lisa recently posted..Make Your Own Special Occasion

37 LoLo September 30, 2010 at 2:46 pm

WOW! how awesome is your job!? Colorado is one of the states that I have never been too, but REALLY want to go! And your awesome pics aren’t helping at all =P
p.s. just recently found your blog and LOVE it!
LoLo recently posted..Mushroom Sauce!

38 Bonnie @ salad craze September 30, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Awwww!! This post makes me miss my brother! He moved to CO from NJ about 13 years ago. I’ve only been out to visit him once since then. Once a year he visits us back home though. Thanks for the photo tour. He actually lives/works in Keystone! Christie Sports!
Bonnie @ salad craze recently posted..All Smiles!

39 Brandy September 30, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Oooohhhh…..Beau Jo’s! How I do love it so. I’ve been to CO twice and each time that was a mandatory stop!
Brandy recently posted..Week 2 repeated

40 jocelyn @ enthusiastic runner September 30, 2010 at 11:08 pm

i want to move to Denver!!!
jocelyn @ enthusiastic runner recently posted..Pizza in the morning- Pizza in the evening…

41 kates October 1, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Your boss is beautiful! πŸ™‚ And seems super cool!

Funfun.