Success

by Meghann on September 28, 2010

FYI: my Butternut Squash Lasagna with a Twist makes EXCELLENT left overs.

IMG_1247

Like really, really deliciously amazing excellent left overs.

IMG_1253

I wanted to lick my bowl clean after lunch. Oh wait, I did!

I brought some in for my boss as well and she could not stop raving about it. Any person who walked by she would hand them a fork and tell them to try a bite. It makes me happy when other people enjoy my food as much as I do. 🙂

This recipe was so easy and came out so great. I see myself making it again in the very near future. The best part is you can downsize it and upgrade it for as many people as you need to feed.

I got a couple of comments questioning the 4 person serving size for the original recipe. I wanted to be clear that my 1/4 portion really was the perfect, filling portion. Yes, I did pair it with a small spinach salad, but even without it I’m sure I would have been ok. I am STUFFED right now.

IMG_1250

IMG_1256

Before lunch I had some crackers to tide me over.

IMG_1246

Phantom Pains

Last week Bobbi had posted about an article on Runner’s World that related to Taper Traps. If you are about to taper or in the process of marathon tapering, I highly suggest you give it a read!

One of the traps is Phantom Pains. Phantom pains can be defined as any unexplained new pain – such as, a sudden pain in your ankle, a sharp pinch in your back, or a sore knee – that develops during tapering.

So far this week I’ve been dealing with a muscle spasm in my lower right back, an extra tight IT band, random foot pains, etc. You want phantom pains? Well, I’ve got them!

The article gives good advice basically saying that with such a big event around the corner, of course we are going to blow every new sensation out of proportion. All of a sudden a teeny bit of pain becomes the end of the world two weeks before a marathon that requires optimal health. The pain is probably just the body healing itself and we’re instructed to stay calm and not worry.

So, I’m staying calm. And not worrying. But, it’s hard. I should block any sort of self diagnosing from google. Google is not your friend 2 weeks before a marathon!

I’m hoping these pains are in fact phantom pains and to just leave them at that.

Fingers crossed.

1 melissa September 28, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Yum, looks delish, maybe even better as leftovers!

2 Freya September 28, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I am so grateful for that link – I’ll be tapering in less than 2 weeks, so that’s going to be super useful 🙂
Freya recently posted..Did someone say pumpkin

3 Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! September 28, 2010 at 1:38 pm

That link is amazing–thank you! I’m still in training mode for my half-marathon, but I know it will be important for me as I begin to taper a bit at the end of October. How often do you take a rest day? Do you do any physical activity on your rest day? I’m struggling with the idea of taking one day completely off per week, but I know the body really needs to recharge and recuperate. I would love to hear what your weekly schedule looks like.

4 Kelly September 28, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I find that phantom pains exist when you’ve been injured before also. I still imagine pain in my knee and think it’s my tight IT band.
Kelly recently posted..The End

5 Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life September 28, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Your lunch looks way better than mine 🙁 I had soup … that’s it. It was packed with stuff, but boring nonetheless.

6 Madeline - Greens and Jeans September 28, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Oh my gosh, I am running my first marathon on Sunday and my phantom pains are out of control! Every little twinge makes me freak!
Madeline – Greens and Jeans recently posted..maddie-fied

7 Susan @ Mom Swim Bike Run September 28, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I think all medical advice should be blocked from google search. You start looking into one little ache or pain and next thing you know you’ve self diagnosed yourself with some rare flesh eating bacteria. Evil I tell you! I hope you feel better and that it’s really nothing.

BTW how do you pronounce your name? Is it Meg-an or MEE-gan… for some reason, after reading for over a year, I still don’t know this.
Susan @ Mom Swim Bike Run recently posted..X Doesnt Mark the Spot

8 Meghann September 28, 2010 at 2:24 pm

It’s Meg-hann. I like to over pronounce the h just to throw people off 🙂

9 kristy @ kristyruns.com September 28, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Looks delish! 🙂 Gonna make it this weekend!

Hope your pains go away. Not fun.
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..All Scraped Up

10 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 28, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I’m sure they are! Just listen to your body and you’ll be fine, it knows what it’s doing 🙂
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Sometimes It’s Ok…

11 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 28, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I’ve definitely heard of the phantom pains. I get them even when I take a week off from running! Just stretch a lot. You’ll be fine!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Pumpkin Apple Banana Streusel Bread

12 Clare @ Fitting It All In September 28, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I told my parents about your “lasagna” last night and they were skeptical, but I just might have to make it and let them try it out!

13 Lisa September 28, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I get phantom pains. I’m taking a break from running right now because of an overuse ITB issue. I’m now having weird phantom pains in my leg. I think it’s just because I am sooo hyper aware of my leg right now while it heals.
Lisa recently posted..Make Your Own Special Occasion

14 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 28, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Thanks for the runner’s world links!
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..You can’t tell me what to eat!

15 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 28, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I’ve never heard of phantom pains before (that may be because I don’t actually run any races!) but it seems really interesting. Hopefully you’ll be ok. I have my fingers crossed for you. 🙂
Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) recently posted..New Season- New Goals

16 Lisa @ bakebikeblog September 28, 2010 at 3:45 pm

“google is not your friend 2 weeks from a marathon” >>> hehe I could not agree more!

17 Corey @ The Runner's Cookie September 28, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I didn’t know there was a name for those!! I totally had phantom pain the day before I ran a marathon to qualify for Boston. I flushed a public toilet with my foot and all of a sudden I had a sharp knee pain that resulted in my limping slightly – I was so pissed but also knew it was “in my head” and ignored it (i.e. refused to talk about it/acknowledge it on race day morning), and when I started running the next day it was fine. Glad to know I’m not the only one who’s had this!

18 Andrea (@ Puppy Dog Tales) September 28, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Your squash looks amazing!!!! Wonder how that would taste with pumpkin?
Andrea (@ Puppy Dog Tales) recently posted..Redneck Kind of Weekend!

19 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 28, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Mmm, lasagna is always better as a leftover in my opinion.

20 Erin September 28, 2010 at 5:14 pm

On the other hand, you don’t want to ignore something if it makes running painful. Last week I tried to run a few days after my 20 miler and discovered my right knee hurt so bad I could barely stay upright. Turns out I have patellar tendonitis and the PT told me that since I caught it early I should be fine for the Chicago marathon if I ice and take it easy until then.
Erin recently posted..When a Runner Cant Run

21 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) September 28, 2010 at 6:43 pm

That’s so interesting. I had a “phantom pain” before my marathon. My foot started hurting two weeks prior to the race, but thankfully it did not bother me at all during the marathon!! I was so glad!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Kenai River Marathon Relay

22 Elizabeth September 28, 2010 at 7:36 pm

How random you just posted about phantom pains since I just posted about my knee pain…hmmm….

23 Emily September 28, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I’m 5 days out from my next marathon and feeling all sorts of phantom pains. Calves? check. Shins? Check. Knees? Yes, yes and yes. I know to trust in the taper, but every time it tries to psych me out!
Emily recently posted..The Runner Has No Clothes

24 Amy @ LoveForLiving September 28, 2010 at 7:42 pm

That is too weird! I actually had my gallbladder removed and first learned about “phantom pains” while researching after surgery: tons of people reported having “gallbladder attacks” AFTER they had their Gallbladders removed! I am a believer…
Amy @ LoveForLiving recently posted..Rain- Rain go away

25 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 28, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Google Diagnosis is never a good idea! I freak myself out all the time by researching my ailments. Google is NOT your friend in this situation. 🙂

26 Anna Dulmes September 28, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Thank you for that post! I am running the Chicago Marathon too, and my legs are tweaking out…not to mention the pain I now have in my foot! Yikes!

Glad to hear it happens to other runners too 🙂