Murphy’s Law

by Meghann on September 28, 2010

Murphy’s Law: If you are already running late for work, then bumper to bumper traffic and rain will suddenly appear out of nowhere to make you later.

IMAG0191

It never fails. :/

At least it wasn’t raining when I went on my run this morning. Sure there was 90% humidity, but no rain. I’ll take what I can get. 😉

On the schedule was a short 5 mile tempo run.

• 1 mile @ 9:30
  • 3 miles @ 8:00
  • 1 mile @ 9:30

The run felt good. My IT bands are still tight though. I NEED to invest in a foam roller TONIGHT! I wonder if I can find one to fit into my carry on bag for Colorado? That could be a fun one to explain to security if my bag get’s searched.

“You see sir, I have really tight legs, so I force pain on myself by rolling my body weight up and down this big thing of foam… Trust me, it works!… Would you like me to demonstrate?”

Have you ever had to explain something questionable in your carry on before at the airport?

I’m pretty sure my twin bro will never live down when we were 10 and he thought it would be a good idea to pack his life savings of loose change in a black sock in his carry on. It was a pretty hysterical moment to see a big security guard pull out the black questionable mass and immediately start probing my red-faced brother. 🙂

IMG_1213

Breakfast this morning featured some toasted french bread that was left over from Saturday’s dinner.

IMG_1217

I slathered the hot bread with some Vanilla Almond Butter and and Fig Preserves.

IMG_1220

1/2 a peach and fresh raspberries on the side

IMG_1232

My breakfast felt very European. 😉

IMG_1245

THANK YOU for all the feedback on which fountain photo I should have printed. Honestly, I’m still up in the air! I would love to get both, but I want to have it printed on a canvas wrap and I can only afford one. I guess it will just have to be a surprise on which on I choose. (to myself included!)

Look what my co-worker is letting me borrow for my trip this week.

IMAG0192

It’s only been recommended to me about a bajillion times! Can’t wait to see what all the fuss is about!

1 Liz September 28, 2010 at 9:29 am

I have a foam roller but bought one of the runners massage sticks for traveling during my marathon training this past winter. I was in Portugal going back to London (where I was for work) and security took it away from me. I was so mad because it had made it there without any trouble!
Liz recently posted..Mushroom &amp Chicken Sausage Strata

2 Freya September 28, 2010 at 9:31 am

Murphy’s Law was coming into force on me today as well – it’s the worst law there is!
That breakfast is pretty; i always think toast looks delicious when other people have it, but if I have it, I find it so ‘blaah’…it’s weird :s
Freya recently posted..Did someone say pumpkin

3 Dori September 28, 2010 at 9:32 am

I didn’t get a chance to comment yesterday, but definitely photo #2 — I LOVE the colors!

I was working as a counselor on a teen tour 5 summers ago, and some of the girls bought a vibrator and then put it in this other (male) kid’s backpack without his knowledge. I felt so bad for him when security found it and took it out!!!!
Dori recently posted..The Long Runs

4 Ellie September 28, 2010 at 9:36 am

Murphy’s law always works against me! Also I don’t think a foam roller should be a problem.
After the Boston marathon my best friend and I flew back with our medals on. It was funny cause we had to take them off to go through security. Our first flight was full of runners but our second flight was filled with middle age men who were clearly flying for work. We got some funny looks
Ellie recently posted..Tired Soul

5 Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life September 28, 2010 at 9:41 am

Um when I was like 14 or so the TSA took out a box of tampons and was shaking them. Convinced there was something, other than tampons, in there. I was mortified.
Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life recently posted..Reporting from Harvard

6 Cynthia September 28, 2010 at 9:41 am

My mother-in-law gave that book to me and I still haven’t started it. She said she didn’t like it. I have heard great things about it though.

7 Maddie (but not the dog) September 28, 2010 at 9:52 am

I am in love with my foam roller. I have a three-foot one, but I just found out you can get 12″ ones as well…that would most definitely fit in your carry on!

Also, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is good, but just bare with it for the first 150 pages or so. It’s kind of slow and you won’t be 100% sure where they’re going with everything, and you’ll probably want to put it down, but it’s worth getting through. And the second book is nonstop action, so it’s worth it just to be able to read that one!

8 Margaret September 28, 2010 at 10:00 am

Agreed — it’s slow-going at first, but really picks up speed after the first 150 pages! And YES, the second book is totally nonstop action! I can’t wait to read the third one…!
Margaret recently posted..Its official

9 kristinp September 28, 2010 at 10:36 am

I agree as well! The first pages are pretty slow with a lot of exposition, but the information is critical to the rest of the book and is important for the rest of the series as well. I also really liked the second one better, so just get through the first bit and you’re in for a great story!

Enjoy 🙂

10 SaraRM September 28, 2010 at 9:56 am

I love your thought quotes. Crackes me up. I always think twice about carrying on certain items just so I dont have to pull them out at security.

I just saw the picture post. I love #2 for canvas but 2 definitely needs to be framed also!

11 'laina September 28, 2010 at 9:56 am

Maybe see if you/ someone can turn the perimeter of the picture into black and white, and keep that circlish area around you color. Best of both worlds, and it highlights the two of you in a special moment- like the rest of the world is insignificant except the two of you.

12 Kelly September 28, 2010 at 9:56 am

Those massage sticks are kind of the same thing, but better for traveling with. I need to start using my foam roller again!
Kelly recently posted..The End

13 Marci September 28, 2010 at 10:00 am

I have a small foam roller, about half the length of ones in gyms. I wouldn’t travel with it, but you should try! That was a great explanation. I would also be curious of what security people think it’s for.
Marci recently posted..Sick Day- and Playing with Food

14 Alyssa September 28, 2010 at 10:08 am

gahhh I LOVE that series!!!! You will not be able to put it down! Let us know what you think!!! 🙂

15 Marina September 28, 2010 at 10:10 am

I was embarrassed at the security check, when I had to take off my belt. My pants started to fall, awful 😀
Marina recently posted..Breakfast-to-fill project

16 Carolyn @ lovinlosing September 28, 2010 at 10:13 am

I haven’t ready that book, but I did watch the movie on Netflix and enjoyed it.
Heather over at Side of Sneakers did a post comparing foam rollers to The Stick and she pretty much concluded The Stick is better for travel. I have a small one and it would be the perfect size for a suitcase. In fact, I’m glad you said this because now maybe I’ll remember to pack it for my trip tomorrow. http://www.sideofsneakers.com/2010/09/01/foam-roller-vs-the-stick/
Carolyn @ lovinlosing recently posted..Avocado BLT with Chipotle Mayo

17 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 28, 2010 at 10:28 am

I’m hating the rain this morning. I had no desire to leave the house 🙁
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..You can’t tell me what to eat!

18 Matt September 28, 2010 at 10:32 am

I take my foam roller on every single vacation. You won’t have a problem taking it on the plane.
Matt recently posted..Uova Al Pomodoro Tomato Eggs

19 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] September 28, 2010 at 10:35 am

That is my kind of breakfast! It looks so wonderful this morning!
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..Pepita Pecan Pumpkin Muffins

20 Krystina September 28, 2010 at 10:38 am

I saw the movie version of that book and it was SO disturbing! Too many rape scenes for my taste.

21 Theresa @ActiveEggplant September 28, 2010 at 10:41 am

I actually just purchased a travel size foam roller! It’s about half the size of a regular one and will fit in a suitcase perfectly. I never foam rolled until I got this little one (it was only $9 and I figured better to try it out for $9 than spend $30 on a regular one and end up hating it). Turns out I absolutely love love love foam rolling! Even better than The Stick if you ask me.

Hope you like the book – I just finished the series – I couldn’t put the books down!
Theresa @ActiveEggplant recently posted..Reporting from SoS!

22 Amanda (modernation) September 28, 2010 at 10:50 am

I have a 12 inch foam roller and have taken it in my carry on before. It is a nice size and I prefer it to the 36 inch roller.
Amanda (modernation) recently posted..A Great Accomplishment Flushed Down the Toilet

23 Lucy September 28, 2010 at 11:11 am

i work at a place that sells those foam rollers to chiropractors and a lot of them but the bigger ones a cut them in half or thirds, if it’s more economical you could go that way and if it gets taken at security you would still have one back home:)

24 Lucy September 28, 2010 at 11:12 am

but=buy:)

25 Kristin September 28, 2010 at 11:14 am

This was back in 1989, but my sister (5 at the time) was big into Hot Wheels cars and brought her little purse full of them on a plane once. Going through the metal detector, they must have looked like a gun, because she got pulled aside and her purse searched. She climbed up on the table and was explaining to the security guard about all her cool cars. My mother was mortified to think that they suspected she’d sneak a gun into a 5-year-old’s bag!

26 Amy B @ Second City Randomness September 28, 2010 at 11:17 am

Figuring out traffic is something I’ve finally given up on. It seems if I leave for work 15 minutes earlier than I should, I’ll be a half hour late. If I leave 10 minutes late, I get there 5 minutes early.

You really just can’t win. Ever.

I wish you luck in your commute home.
Amy B @ Second City Randomness recently posted..Unexplained Injuries and Nachos

27 Nichole September 28, 2010 at 11:18 am

I am heading to CO this weekend for the UGA vs CO game!!! FUN:)

Bummer on traffic and that Murphy is a total a-hole.
Nichole recently posted..Half Ironman Relay Recap – A “Relay” Phenomonal Event

28 Anne September 28, 2010 at 11:27 am

I used my backpack as a carry on. One time, I had just come from campus where I had brought homemade banana bread for everyone. I had forgotten to take the butter knife (for slicing the bread) out of my backpack. Oops! They let it go through after some explaining, and I made sure to put it in my checked bag on the way back.
Anne recently posted..Whirlwind Weekend

29 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 28, 2010 at 11:31 am

Ah, I’m in the middle of the book and it’s SO intense. I cannot put it down!

30 Laura @ Backstage Pass September 28, 2010 at 11:32 am

Murphy’s Law – of course. It always prevails, unfortunately!
The strangest thing I had to carry on an airplane was my camelbak and a ton of power gel packs. I was worried they might question the hydration bladder, however the TSA officials didn’t seem to bat an eye. I guess they see more of those than I thought!
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Granola featuring Natures Pride Bread

31 Tina September 28, 2010 at 11:33 am

I’m getting started with that book since its been recommended to me so many times too. Now I just need to find the time to read. Well read things besides my love of blogs. 😉

One of my friends once had her bag searched and she had a bunch of stuff for our other friend’s bachelorette party. Haha! That would be….awkward.
Tina recently posted..it has never felt so good to sit

32 Meghan September 28, 2010 at 11:42 am

For IT bands, a lacrosse ball works well too. Since the band is more of a specific spot, you can lean on the ball and put pressure on the band and release the tension. Or bring a foam roller as a carry on…slash pillow?

33 Emily September 28, 2010 at 11:46 am

While traveling to the Chicago Marathon last year I had my peanut butter confiscated. I was devastated since I obviously needed that exact jar of peanut butter for my race day fuel. My friend who was also running Chicago got her beloved stick taken away on the same trip. We viciously glared and cursed at the agents who thought our marathon necessities were security threats!
Emily recently posted..The Runner Has No Clothes

34 Amanda September 28, 2010 at 11:51 am

The book is perfect for an airplane – it’s easy to read and really addicitive. Safe travels!

35 Maddie (the person) September 28, 2010 at 11:55 am

Oh my goodness..YES! In fact, I was flying out of DIA and I had the Harry Potter Scene-It game in my bag. My version came in the awesome aluminum (or maybe tin? No idea) collector’s box. When it went through the x-ray, I think they thought it was a b-o-m-b or something. It took them a good 7 minutes to realize it was only a game about Harry Potter. I’ll never forget the TSA guys laughing at me. lol. Oh well. It’s funny now. Not so much then. 🙂

36 Paula September 28, 2010 at 12:03 pm

If you’re still taking votes, mine is for #2!

37 RhodeyGirl September 28, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I’ve brought some VERY bizarre items in my carry on before.. and have probably been questioned a zillion times.

The list:
-kitchen tools like spatulas and whisks.
-the stick (similar to a foam roller)
-wine opener
-vaseline

the list goes on.
RhodeyGirl recently posted..Cantina Salad

38 Stefanie @thenewhealthy September 28, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I’ve been wanting to read that book as well! Possibly over winter break! Let us know what all the fuss is about! 😉
Stefanie @thenewhealthy recently posted..Peter- Peter- Pizza Eater

39 Devon (Fast Foodie) September 28, 2010 at 12:20 pm

All of my questionable security related run-ins have been all because of running. Whether it’s trying to explain a huge bag full of gels to security (I’ve had to do this internationally too) or trying to explain a huge trophy stuffed in my duffle bag. I once was flying back from Breakers Marathon in RI and the trophy I got for winning was a huge handmade glass wave. Well, glass shows up on an xray like a big black shadow. It was very funny, but then they were just all excited I had won the race.

I would say get a travel sized roller or a stick!
Devon (Fast Foodie) recently posted..Living Like a Runner

40 Kelly September 28, 2010 at 12:59 pm

That is hilarious about your brother and the security guard. Just this past summer I was traveling with my 5yr old son and he had bought a pirate sword in Key West and wanted to bring it in his carry on luggage. I advised against it, but he is strong willed. Sure enough once it went thru the scanner, we were pulled aside and he was questioned and the security guard looked thru his whole backpack and finally let him carry on the sword. My son was about 5 shades of red, where I was about 10 shades of red! He was harmless at least.

41 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 28, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I just checked out the pics- too cute! I like #1 better though- black and white is so classic.

The first time I ever flew alone I was 12 and got one of the random searches. My camp counselor had to go with me because I was a minor, and it took FOREVER!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Wham- Bam- Thank You Maam

42 ida September 28, 2010 at 1:03 pm

You can use a lacrosse ball just like a foam roller. It’s cheaper, more portable and can really get into the muscle better than a foam roller can.

43 Jessi September 28, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Hi Meghann,

I read your blog all the time and am looking into getting a foam roller soon – will you post what you end up getting, please?

Anyway, when I’m not reading your blog on my Reader, I’m representing a man named Matt Livermanne, who is walking across the country (NYC to LA) to raise awareness for childhood obesity and its prevention. I thought you might be interested in finding out more about Matt’s story: http://www.thebigfitnesswalk.com. It’s pretty inspiring – a lot like you and your fellow bloggers.

Thanks!!

44 Bess @ Bess Be Fit September 28, 2010 at 1:12 pm

The first book is great! I’m on the second one now. It wasn’t what I was expecting at all but was SO HARD to put down!! I think its like a mix of Silence of the Lambs and The DaVinci Code. Hope you enjoy!
Bess @ Bess Be Fit recently posted..breakfast with guests

45 Bree September 28, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Ahh traffic. It’s almost worse here when it rains vs. when it snows. No fun! If you need a foam roller – I have them in my open sky store for 50% off through Thursday. Let me know if you are interested!
Bree recently posted..Work It Out

46 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 28, 2010 at 1:25 pm

When you’re already running late, it never fails that things keep happening to make you even later.. I think it’s like a law of the universe or something 😉
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Sometimes It’s Ok…

47 Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well September 28, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I love this book! So good! The first 100 pages or so are kinda slow but it sets up important information. Make sure you have the second book handy when you finish the first! 🙂
Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well recently posted..My Omnivore’s Dilemma

48 Lisa September 28, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I’m half way through the second book. I like the second better than the first.
Lisa recently posted..Make Your Own Special Occasion

49 mary September 28, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Meghann, you NEED to get the stick!! My boyfriend got one after he finished his half Ironman, it is AWESOME! I used it after my 20 miler the other day and I felt SO much better afterward!
mary recently posted..Inspiring Inspiration

50 Megan September 28, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Yes, indeed! I had a breathing machine for my asthma growing up. It was quite the fiasco going to an airport– always pulled out of line and searched for the most part. At one point, through British Customs, they thought it was a cat carrier 🙁

51 L.A. Daze September 28, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I use this foam roller:

It’s perfect for traveling, and you can stuff clothes in it!
L.A. Daze recently posted..I bought a hat!

52 Laura September 28, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I had to explain a Cupcake-In-a-Jar from Yummy Cupcakes once. Security actually took it to be scanned separately. After they cleared it, they admitted that it looked delicious.

53 Elizabeth September 28, 2010 at 7:39 pm

This past weekend I was stopped for having jellies in my bag. I explained that they are not jellies but peanut butter but apparently that is not a solid enough food (who know they had a list of “solid/acceptable foods”) so I had to check my bag.
Elizabeth recently posted..Pumpkin Butter

54 Vicky (eat live spin) September 28, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I read all the Stieg Larsson books this summer… amazing series. It may take a little bit to get fully into the book, but once you do… you will be hooked.
Vicky (eat live spin) recently posted..Comfort Food ASAP!

55 Tobi Nicholson September 29, 2010 at 9:49 am

So glad to see other comments on the Tatoo book. I downloaded it to my iPad and have been trying to read it for 2 months ( yes, you read that right), I just can’t get into it…I guess I know now, that it doesn’t get better till after 150 pages….really?? 150 pages?? Unfortunately, on the ipad, the pages are numbered differently, want to tell me what chapter page 150 is in so I can figure out if I am even close to this book getting any better???