My First Taste of Peanut Flour

by Meghann on September 26, 2010

Someone forgot to tell Maddie it’s Sunday and we’re allowed to sleep in on Sundays. She was up and ready to be taken out at 5:30 this morning(!!). One day I will teach her the difference between a weekday and a weekend morning.

I let Maddie out and crawled back on the couch to sleep for another hour (I didn’t want to wake Derek up) while Maddie did laps around the living room. Crazy, Crazy girl.

My legs felt great this morning – a good sign that my approach to yesterday’s 15k was right on target – so I knew my easy 6 miler I had on the schedule wouldn’t be a big deal at all.

I kept the pace around 9:00 min/miles and completed a familiar lap around my neighborhood. The 6 miles didn’t feel like a big deal at all. My legs were strong, nimble, and quick. This is why I like taper time – because all runs under 15 miles feels like nothing. Only marathon training can lead to results like these.

The only complaint I had on the run, was my ipod holder on my arm really irritated the chafing I experienced during yesterday’s race. This chafing business is really starting to annoy me. I never know where it’s going to show up! One run it will be between my legs. The next it will be on my back. Then it will show up under my arm. Grrr….

You know what I haven’t made for breakfast in a while?

Waffles!

IMG_0815.jpg

All summer I’ve been craving smoothies like crazy and waffles sort of took a backseat as my second favorite weekend breakfast for a couple of months.

Now, that fall is upon us, I felt it was time to bring waffles back. Maybe they’ll inch their way into the coveted #1 spot again? πŸ˜‰

These waffles were from a boxed mix (Hodgen’s Mills), but they did have one secret ingredient added to them.

IMG_0803.jpg

Peanut Flour!

Sana was a sweetheart and send me a bag of the peanut-ty powder the other week. (I owe her big time!) I’ve seen this on so many blogs lately, I had to try it myself!

Two heaping spoonfuls went straight into the waffle batter.

The peanut powder gave a slight hint of peanut butter to the waffles, but nothing overpowering like I was expecting. I think next time I wouldn’t hold back and just keep adding the peanut flour to the mix. πŸ™‚

Waffle toppings included Pumpkin Yogurt & Cinnamon Apples

Peanut butter + Pumpkin Yogurt + Cinnamon Apples = Fall, right?

Have you tried Trader Joe’s Peanut Flour yet? Have any fun recipes you want to share on what to do with it?!?! πŸ˜‰

Derek and I spent all morning giving my apartment a much needed ‘deep clean.’

Derek mopped the floors while I did the counters. We also worked on the bathroom, bedroom, living room, and tackled the mountain of laundry that had developed in my closet.

IMG_0852.jpg

Apparently Derek had never seen anyone put a duvet cover on a comforter before?

I like to get into the cover and spread the blanket into each corner. Then I pick it up and shake it out to make sure it’s all even. ‘s a practiced skill I guess? πŸ™‚

He also got onto me for having several sets of sheets. What else am I supposed to put on my bed while one set is being washed? I need back ups people! πŸ˜‰

We had to leave before we were finished.

BUT it’s getting there. πŸ™‚

I have to say cleaning is so much more fun when you have someone else doing it with you. If I was by myself I would have found any and every excuse to take short breaks on the couch in front of my computer, but with Derek there were no excuses. We had music pumping through the apartment and had a ball making ourselves laugh the entire time. Too bad he can’t be here every time I really need to clean. πŸ˜‰

Right now, we’re on our way to my parent’s neck of the woods for an Anderson Birthday get together. It should be a fun afternoon full of family, cake, and football. πŸ™‚

Have a great Sunday everyone!

1 Kristina @ spabettie September 26, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Basil is The Same Way this morning…! we were trying to sleep in and he was bouncing around and he does these little arf arf arf barks while running. Too cute, and we’re been up for hours πŸ™‚

Enjoy your Sunday !!
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..peanut butter chocolate ice cream

2 Debbie B. September 26, 2010 at 12:37 pm

The waffles look great! I had a lazy morning with toast πŸ™‚ I keep meaning to make stuffed french toast!
Debbie B. recently posted..Youve Treated Me Well Red Cabbage

3 Mandy A September 26, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I am new to the Peanut Flour, too! I LOVE it in my morning Shakeology shakes… but I haven’t really experimented with it beyond that! Would love to see everyone’s recipes!

And deep cleaning is what I will be doing today! Not much fun… but is beyond needed at this point!

4 Freya September 26, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Ooh I really really want to try peanut flour! I’m yet to see it for sale over in the Uk though, which is a shame πŸ™
I know what you mean about the running too – I did (my first ever!) an 18mile run today – the 5miles nd 9miles on the cards this week pale in comparison now!
Btw – I love your apartment!!
Freya recently posted..Did someone say pumpkin

5 Katie September 26, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Who DOESN”T have more than one set of sheets? I have several!
Katie recently posted..Slowcooking and Tornadoes

6 elisa September 26, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Peanut Flour is amazing in smoothies & any baked good.

7 Lindsay September 26, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I’ve never tried that tactic for putting a duvet cover on. May have to next time! A guy I used to date was perplexed by the duvet cover, too. But because he was part Mexican, he deemed that the reason and said, “White people have weird stuff.”

8 alison September 26, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I saw the peanut flour at Trader Joe’s the other day and didn’t pick any up. Now I wish I had.
Sorry Maddie woke you up this morning. My daughter is the same way, she’s an early riser at heart, so sleeping in just doesn’t happen at our house.
alison recently posted..Stressed Out By Target

9 VeggieGirl September 26, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Never tried peanut flour, but DAMN do those waffles look good – come visit and bring waffles, please! And Maddie πŸ˜‰
VeggieGirl recently posted..It Has Been Two Years And Now We Are Back! Video Flashback Alert

10 Heather September 26, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I absolutely hate cleaning but LOVE a clean apartment. It is nice to do a deep cleaning every once in a while – it is amazing what a few hours of cleaning can do!

Enjoy the birthday celebration!
Heather recently posted..Fresh Bread French Toast

11 Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) September 26, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Love love LOVE peanut flour! I’ve been adding it to everything…smoothies, yogurt, oatmeal, muffins…it’s so delicious!
Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) recently posted..Moroccan Eggs

12 Whitney @ Whitinspired September 26, 2010 at 1:33 pm

That’s why I don’t own a duvet anymore! They are such pains in the butt to get the fabric back around the down comforter.
Whitney @ Whitinspired recently posted..Oktoberfest Celebration!

13 Melissa @ TryingToHeal September 26, 2010 at 1:35 pm

i’ve been having the same chaffing problems this week too!! it must be the weather… πŸ˜‰

Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Speed Time

14 Beth @ bride in the little white dress September 26, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I was at Trader Joe’s the other day and thought I need to pick something else up & couldn’t remember what. Haha thanks for reminding me of the peanut flour. I’m curious to what others say as well… seen it around the blogland has gotten me curious too!

15 Colleen September 26, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Hey Meghann,
I have a quick favor-I am a dedicated reader who looooves healthy living blogs! I just moved to Chicago and would love if you could recommend a blog written by someone in this area. Please let me know if you can think of one, thanks!

16 Heather September 26, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I can’t believe you ran 6 miles after yesterday’s half marathon!!!!! DANG!

17 Katherine September 26, 2010 at 1:57 pm

No Trader Joe’s in my area! Sadly, I’ve never even been inside one. Maybe some day!

What a guy helping you clean like that! I HATE cleaning, but I do love a clean house!

Enjoy your day!
Katherine recently posted..Lazy Saturday

18 Erica September 26, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Hey girl! Glad the run went well and the waffles look fantastic! I have a few recipes up on my blog using the peanut flour- bars and cookies. I will have another one up tomorrow morning too for drop breakfast biscuits! LOVE the flour. Have fun today
Erica recently posted..Vegan Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

19 Kristy @ KristyRuns September 26, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Deep cleaning, that’s what I SHOULD be doing right now. Maybe later. πŸ˜‰

I have not tried peanut flour, but after seeing it a few times around the blogosphere, I think I need to. πŸ™‚
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..All Scraped Up

20 Sana September 26, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I am sooo happy you enjoyed it- next time go all out :)!
Sana recently posted..Swoon for Roons

21 Marina September 26, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Cleaning is so much easier when there’s good company and loud music :))
waffles… i need to learn how to make those πŸ˜€
Marina recently posted..come here fat- but could you please avoid my legs

22 Amiee @ LoveForLiving September 26, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I haven’t tried the flour yet, BUT i think i need too. STAT
Amiee @ LoveForLiving recently posted..CALLING ALL PUMPKINS!!!!

23 Erin September 26, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I used to put on my duvet cover like that, but my friend told me about a better way! Watch this video to make your life easier! πŸ™‚ http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-put-on-a-duvet-cover
Erin recently posted..Imbibe

24 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 26, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Aw, so cute that Derek cleans with you!! Haha, every time I go to Mike’s apartment I end up cleaning FOR him…two boys living together = one huge MESS!

I have some of that peanut flour but haven’t broken it out yet. Sounds so good!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Seven

25 Matt September 26, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Tell Derek he is welcome to come and clean my floors any time πŸ˜‰
Matt recently posted..Grass-Fed Beef Vs Organic Beef

26 Elizabeth September 26, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Why don’t we have a trader joe’s in florida? It nearly kills me thinking of all the cheap thrills I miss out on.

27 Shannon @ Freshman Yr September 26, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Cleaning w others is the best. Plus you get so much more accomplished!!
Shannon @ Freshman Yr recently posted..Reporting from Harvard

28 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 26, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I think cleaning has to be my least favourite activity so I’m glad you had someone there to have fun with while you were doing it! The waffles look delish.
Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) recently posted..Why I Stepped on theΒ Scales

29 Bria September 26, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Peanut FLOUR?! Zomg. Have to try that!

Your apartment is so cute! love it.

Sooo I might be making an Orlando trip the week of November 14-20, and would love to meet up if you will be in town! Also – do you know of any local races happening that weekend? My bf is competing in Ironman 70.3 Worlds in Clearwater, and then I am meeting him and his fam in Orlando for the week.
Bria recently posted..Weekly Summary

30 christina cadden September 26, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Those waffles look amazing!

31 Lee September 26, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I just bought that peanut flour today. Can wait to try it.
Lee recently posted..7 mile run

32 Allisn September 26, 2010 at 4:58 pm

For the record, Martha Stewart says that you should have 3 sets of sheets. One for the bed, one in the laundry and one in the closet in case you need them.

That is super nice of Derek to help you clean.

33 colleen September 26, 2010 at 5:28 pm

deeping cleaning? Something I need to do. I will not judge – I have back-up sheets, blanklets, towels, and bed coveres. You never know when you will need them.

34 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 26, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Yummy looking waffles! They make me want to go buy myself a waffle maker.

35 Anne September 26, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Just bought that peanut flour last weekend!
I thought it was the same thing as PB2… no??

36 Emily [Emilyeatsclean] September 26, 2010 at 5:47 pm

My hubs and I get so much done when we are both cleaning at the same time. I love having a clean house….it makes me much less stressed. Is peanut flour anything like powdered peanut butter??
Emily [Emilyeatsclean] recently posted..Splashing and dashing

37 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) September 26, 2010 at 5:50 pm

What’s wrong with having multiple sets of sheets? We have… five? BUT two of those are flannel for wintertime πŸ™‚
Deva (Voracious Vorilee) recently posted..From Indulgence to Salad

38 Diana September 26, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I have the same duvet cover!! And I always put off washing it because it takes me about an hour to figgure out how to get it back on. Love your method, I’m going to have to try that next time.

P.S- don’t think I’ve ever commented before but I love your blog!

39 Emily September 26, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I love your kitchen! It looks pretty spacious and with lots of cabinets for an apartment! πŸ™‚

40 Tina September 26, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Agreed! Cleaning is much easier to handle with help. I hate that being a stay at home /work from home mother, cleaning is more my responsibility. I don’t like to complain, but its such a hassle to do on my own.

And perhaps you need to just body glide your entire body. Could make for some fun. πŸ˜‰
Tina recently posted..it has never felt so good to sit

41 Natalie @ simply fit. simply clean. September 26, 2010 at 7:30 pm

I just bought TJ’s peanut flour! I’m so looking forward to using it, but haven’t quite determined in what. I’m thinking a smoothie will be first (with banana, cocoa powder, ice and almond milk), but I’m waiting for a much more creative recipe to come to me. πŸ™‚

42 Tay September 26, 2010 at 8:25 pm

I’m obsessed with that stuff. It’s really good in smoothies and in oats (or overnight oats in your case!). I also LOVE it mixed into plain yogurt. And for a dessert – plain yogurt+ a bit of sweetener, then stick it in the freezer for a good 30 minutes. Take it out, top with a bit of jam – wa-la!! Like PB&J froyo.
Tay recently posted..Running Peep Show

43 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 26, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I haven’t tried peanut flour yet but I want to!
Your apartment looks so nice! I had no idea it was strange to have more than 1 set of sheets..
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Pumpkin Crazy

44 Heather September 26, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I love before and after cleaning and organzing pics, good job!
Heather recently posted..Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins

45 Jamie @ Food in Real Life September 26, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I haven’t tried the peanut butter flour yet because I’ve heard it tastes like PB2, and I don’t really like PB2, but I was excited to hear about the protein content. Did you feel like it made the waffles more filling?

Oh and my husband had NO idea what to do with a duvet cover. I remember once we had done laundry and then he was gone for 45 minutes. I went upstairs to find him sweating, red faced and totally flustered with the duvet all wrinkled.

Putting the duvet cover on is now officially MY job.
Jamie @ Food in Real Life recently posted..Sweet Saturday

46 Paige @ Running Around Normal September 26, 2010 at 9:42 pm

The apt is looking nice! I totally meant to deep clean today…. got the bathrooms done! Started the laundry…but then there were several internet breaks:) haha
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..When in Wrigley

47 Brynne September 26, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I’ve been putting my peanut flour in my overnight oats with apples – so good and so fall-ish!
Brynne recently posted..It Happens

48 Sarah September 27, 2010 at 12:05 pm

So Trader Joes is where the peanut flour comes from! I searched my local grocery store and could not find it!
Sarah recently posted..Stories and Other Things That Really Matter

49 sally kate September 27, 2010 at 3:49 pm

i wish i could get my boy toy to help me clean!! speaking of crazy jacks- i left my little pup out of her crate with my roommate the other day and without my roommate noticing before she left to go on errands, my dog had jumped out of the bedroom window upstairs onto the roof, where she stayed for about an hour before i got home!!! i hope this helps put maddie doing laps of your living room in perspective, haha!

50 sally kate September 27, 2010 at 3:49 pm