Shrimp Gumbo

by Meghann on September 25, 2010

When heavy nausea set in this afternoon, I realized I did NOT eat enough after my race this morning. I also had a a bad headache which led me me to believe that on top of not having enough food, I was also severely dehydrated. Ughhh…

A big lunch was needed. A large bottle of SmartWater was welcomed as well.

I had purchased a GroupOn for Infusion Tea a while ago, but have been saving it for a rainy day. Well, it wasn’t raining, but no better time than the present, right?

I started with the Ice Tea of the Day – a Winter Mint Roobios.

Very minty. :)

I needed carbs and lots of them! The Greek Pizza was screaming my name on the menu and I knew it would be the perfect meal to kick my nausea to the curb.

Infusion Tea has the most amazing whole wheat pizza crust. It’s thin, crispy, and full of whole grain goodness. They also have an amazing marinara sauce that has just a touch of sweetness and pairs beautifully with the salty goat cheese and sweet balsamic reduction they drizzle over everything. :)

Derek had an Eggplant Parmesan Panini that left him full and satisfied.

Happy Plates :)

We spent the afternoon running errands and once again I learned you can’t go into Target for one thing without leaving with one or two new toys.

Like needing cleaning supplies and coming home with new boots, a new purse, and new cardigan. πŸ˜‰

What? The boots and cardigan are a must have for my trip to Colorado next week and the purse…. well, the purse has been needed for a while.

See the frayed straps?

And broken attachments?

I think I wore that purse out past it’s prime. Definitely time for a change.

I’m a fan of finding one purse that’s a fun color and just sticking with it. This new red should be a fun one to just blindly pair with everything.

I wanted something sweet when we returned from shopping. I dug into a couple of last night’s chocolates and the last of my fresh figs.

Handmade Dark Chocolate Coconut Cup. Yum!

Derek and Maddie both needed some time to recover from their 3 mile runs this morning.

Aren’t they cute? :)

How Derek and I decided what to have for dinner tonight:

Me: What do you want for dinner?

Derek: How about those carrot peanut butter fries?

Me: Umm… ok. What should we pair it with?

Derek: Okra?

Me: Maybe. But what kind of okra?

Derek: Okra fries

Me: Umm.. not feeling it. How about something else with okra?

Derek: Okra and tomatoes?

Me: What about stewed tomatoes with okra. Like a soup with beans and stuff. I know there’s a name for that. What’s that dish called?

Derek: Gumbo?

Me: Yes, Gumbo. Let’s make gumbo!

And that, my friends, is what’s for dinner tonight!

I googled a few Gumbo recipes, but didn’t like what many of them ad to offer them. Some the ingredients list were too long and other seemed to short. I decided to create my own to make it just right.

Shrimp Gumbo

• 2 tsp Salt
  • 2 tsp Pepper
  • 1.5 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1.5 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1 tbsp Hot Sauce
  • 1/2 pound Shrimp

Begin with a hot pan. Add the vegetable oil and flour and cook while stirring constantly until the mix is a light brown.

Chop the veggies into small bite size pieces

Add the garlic, onion, carrot, and pepper to the flour & oil combo. Cook until veggies are soft (about 5 minutes)

Once veggies are soft add the can of tomatoes + water + spices

Can’t forget the black eyed peas!

Last, but not least – the okra! Because what’s gumbo without okra?

(make sure to chop the okra into bite size pieces too!)

Let the gumbo simmer for about an hour on low. Add the shrimp in the last 5 minutes to avoid overcooking them.

Serve over rice

with a dollop of plain yogurt (or sour cream)

and some nice crusty bread on the side.

I think the hot sauce was really what brought this gumbo over the edge. As far as gumbo is concerned – the spicier the better!

More leftover chocolate with ice cream for dessert! :)

A chocolate covered Nutty Butter! Mmm….

Race Results

Track Shack (the local running store/ race sponsor) has a fun new system to check out your race results after races.

To review your results all you need to enter is your last name and birthday.

Screen shot 2010-09-25 at 8.23.11 PM.png

As I was filling in the information I thought “Man, this would suck if someone had the same last name and birthday as you” and then it realized someone does have the same last name and birthday as me. His name is Josh and he’s my twin brother! Good thing he hasn’t run any Track Shack races yet!

All that information leads you here.

Screen shot 2010-09-25 at 8.23.47 PM.png

Every result for every Track Shack race I have ever participated in is not in one neat little area. How convenient is that? It’s actually really interesting to have one are to quickly reference how much I’ve improved in my last two years of running.

Let’s just compare the Miracle Miles Races:

2008 1:30:36 9:43.2

2009 1:21:05 8:41.9

2010 1:20:31 8:38:3

Love it!

You can read all my recaps from each race at my Racing Recaps Page πŸ˜‰

1 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 25, 2010 at 9:58 pm

All your food looks so good! Its pretty amazing to me that you were able to PR, run some additional miles, and make gumbo from scratch today. Are you superwoman? :)
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Grey’s Anatomy- Can I Have My Life Back

2 Erin September 25, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I’ve never made gumbo but this looks delicious and not too difficult — very similar to making a chili, I guess. Great weekend night meal!
Erin recently posted..Typical Saturday- art- books- drag queens

3 Matt September 25, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Mmm gumbo… There is this place called Pappadeux that makes THE BEST GUMBO. Now I want some πŸ˜‰
Matt recently posted..Galaxy-Sized Giveaway

4 Caitlin (EatFeats) September 25, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I might spend my Saturday night recreating your chocolate-covered Nutter Butter. UH-MAZING.
Caitlin (EatFeats) recently posted..Living it up at the Hotel California

5 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 25, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Your dinner looks delicious!!! As does the pizza..yum!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Pumpkin Crazy

6 Carolyn @ lovinlosing September 25, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Love gumbo!! But shrimp and grits has to be my favorite!
Carolyn @ lovinlosing recently posted..Larchmont RAT Race 5K

7 Melissa September 25, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Have you checked out www. It finds race results for just about every race that you’ve run. My history goes back to ’98 so it’s cool to have it all in one place. Easy to use–the site finds all your results for you.

8 Jessica September 27, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I second athlinks! It’s so awesome to have all your results in one place. It even gives you statistics like average times for different distances, how far off your PR each time is, and how you placed within your gender and age group. Definitely check it out!

9 Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life September 25, 2010 at 11:30 pm

I had shrimp in my dinner tonight as well :) And that chocolate covered cookie looks so good
Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life recently posted..Reporting from Harvard

10 Laurab @ foodsnobstl September 25, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I got that same cardigan at target right before my vacation a few weeks ago. Love it!
Laurab @ foodsnobstl recently posted..My Version of Chicken Roti

11 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 25, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Oh your gumbo looks awesome! I <3 gumbo
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently ya think Im sexy

12 Macey September 26, 2010 at 12:46 am

I sent your fountain pics back to via email a few days ago. Did you recieve them? They may have gone to your junk mail.

13 Tiffany (Stuffed With Fluff) September 26, 2010 at 1:13 am

That gumbo looks amazing!

Most importantly, those boots are SO CUTE. Let us know how comfy they are!
Tiffany (Stuffed With Fluff) recently posted..Embarking on the path to a better me

14 Pam September 26, 2010 at 1:24 am

Looks good but what happened to those carrot pb fries Derek suggested?? Looks like they were forgotten in the gumbo making excitement πŸ˜‰ also love your target purchases!! Wish we had that store in Canada.

15 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 26, 2010 at 4:44 am

Wow, that pizza looks to die for! How neat that you can see all your race results in one place, your times have certainly improved over the years!

16 Duchess of Fork September 26, 2010 at 8:47 am

I love gumbo! My granny makes the best chicken and sausage gumbo on the face of the earth. Yours and Derek’s looks might fine, too. Glad yall had a great Saturday together. :)

17 tracy September 26, 2010 at 10:33 am

WHOA! gumbo! i miss that stuff! (born in louisiana).

goingto colorado next week!??!?! i’m going on october 25-26 for an interview. where are you going? i’m heading to aurora- to the university of colorado denver. :)
tracy recently posted..random-ness ahead

18 Leah @ L4L September 26, 2010 at 11:04 am

I LOVE having a bright colored handbag. I actually think it is more versatile than a black or brown bag which is what most people lean towards. I’ve been working a deep grape bag for the past 6 months now! It has never failed me!

19 Jamie @ Food in Real Life September 26, 2010 at 11:31 am

That pizza and gumbo both look awesome! The red purse is cute too. I did major damage at the mall yesterday myself…
Jamie @ Food in Real Life recently posted..Sweet Saturday

20 Biz September 26, 2010 at 11:51 am

The more hot sauce the better – you bet! Looks delicious, even if I don’t like okra!
Biz recently posted..I made it to Round Two! and Reuben Pizza!

21 Danielle September 26, 2010 at 11:56 am

Wow – that tea place looks amazing.

PS. Your dog is adorable!!

22 Kate September 26, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I have the same cardigan and boots from Target!

23 Sana September 26, 2010 at 1:36 pm

My entire wardrobe is from Target. No joke!
Hahaha I love how you guys came up with a dinner idea- super cute!
Sana recently posted..Swoon for Roons

24 Lisa September 27, 2010 at 1:55 pm

That gumbo looks fantastic! I’ve never tried to make it before but I always feel like it would be an easy dinner.
Lisa recently posted..Make Your Own Special Occasion

25 Sarah September 27, 2010 at 2:52 pm

It really is hard to walk out of Target without something cute!
Sarah recently posted..Stories and Other Things That Really Matter