Miracle Miles 2010

by Meghann on September 25, 2010

This morning I added my THIRD Miracle Miles medal to my ever growing collection of race medals.

Did you notice how the medals have gotten a teeny bit smaller each year? What’s up with that?

It was a race I was worried wouldn’t happen at first.

The plan was to meet my sister, Megan, and our friend Sara at the start line about 20 minutes before race time. I made sure to give myself plenty of time, but the traffic was worse than predicted. The directions the race packet had provided for parking became useless when we discovered the suggested roads were blocked off my police barricades. Great.

After a couple of illegal u-turns – and blindly following other drivers – I managed to find the recommended garage. Unfortunately we only had 15 minutes until the start and my sister was frantically tweeting me/ calling me that she was driving around in circles with no clue where to park as well.

I had been blindly following multiple drivers and had no idea how to guide her. She started freaking out and I started freaking out. Last year she had to run the start after the gun had already gone off, I had an idea she would have the same experience this year. :/

After a final call telling her to just park where ever, I gave my phone to Derek and tried to just think about my own race. So, my sister wasn’t there. So, I couldn’t find any of my friends. I was still here to run a race and I was going to run this race.

The start wasn’t as crowded as I was predicting. I managed to find my way up front and crossed the starting line less than 5 seconds after the countdown.

I started off feeling great. Legs felt good. Breath felt good. Everything felt good.

I feel better when I see Sara pass me right before the first mile marker. You rock it girl!

Mile 1: 7:42

Holy crap. Way too fast. Way too fast!

I recently read an article on Runner’s World regarding the top ten mistakes people make during taper time. One of those mistakes was trying to PR at other races during taper. They emphasized that this practice could lead to injury and to instead aim for marathon goal pace for these races. That was my goal for this race – marathon goal pace for Chicago, which comes to 9:00 minutes per mile, not 8!

Mile 2: 8:02

ekkk… still too fast. Slow it down Meghann.

Mile 3: 8:27

Ok, a 5k down. Legs still feel good, but mentally beginning to lose it. My stomach is starting to cramp and the pumpkin scone I had for breakfast isn’t sitting too well in my stomach. What was I thinking eating a scone before the race?

Mile 4: 8:43

Alright, mentally really starting to feel it. At least my pace is somewhere near where I want to be. It’s just so hard not to be competitive with all these runners around me.

Mile 5: 8:49

Halfway done. You’ve got this girl! Stomach is still off, but at least I’m beginning to get my groove.

Mile 6: 8:54

Just ran by a girl on the ground surrounded by medics. I hope she’s ok.

Mile 7: 8:47

All the volunteers are really great. Did you know the smallest baby to ever be delivered at the Winnie Palmer Hospital and survive was 11 ounces? That’s so tiny! This race raised $25,000 for a really great cause and I’m greatful to be a part of something so wonderful.

Mile 8: 8:56

Wait, when did this race get hills? I thought this was the same course as last year, but I don’t remember all these inclines. I feel like I’ve been slowly running uphill for over a mile. Not cool.

Mile 9: 8:58

I’m almost done? I’m almost done? I’ve got this!

.3 nubbin: 3:07 (8:12 pace)

Finish Time: 1:20:31 (A new PR?!?!? <– wasn’t expecting that)

Average Pace: 8:35 (a little faster than I wanted, but I’ll take it! )

I ran the entire race not knowing if my sister had made it to the start or not. Two minutes after I crossed the finish line I had my answer. Kelly came running through the same shoot with a huge smile on her face. She made it! And she finished in an awesome time!

I immediately found her and gave her a big hug.

We also spotted speedy Sara who came in at a smokin’ 1:12:34!!

Megan was another runner who I wasn’t sure had made it or not. Apparently Derek had seen her at the start and Kelly had ran a little of the race with her. I couldn’t believe we all made it! That was really a close one!

The Miracle Miles after party was full of food and drinks, but it was 9:00am and I had jsut run 9.3 miles, so I wasn’t feeling it.

However, Derek helped himself. :)

IMG_0613.jpg IMG_0616.jpg

I did one my traditional Chik Fil A post race sandwich, but they didn’t have any this year. What?!?! I grabbed the parfait they were offering instead.

It was just vanilla yogurt and strawberries, but it was sooo GOOD! It was thick, rich, and cream. It had to be full fat yogurt and I was NOT complaining :)

You think one would be done after a 15k race, but I needed to get at least 3 more miles in for my Chicago Training Plan.

I ended up running an easy 3 miler with Derek and Maddie by my side.

Don’t tell Derek, but I think Maddie could take him in a 5k! She’s actually a great runner and kept up with us the entire time! We stopped at a few water fountains to give her some hydration, but that’s the only time she ever felt like stopping.

Maddie will be sleeping good today. :)

I was feeling nauseous after our run, but the cracker Derek gave me helped a lot. I guess that’s my clue that I need FOOD stat! Time to get some lunch! :)

Have a great Saturday!

1 Carolyn @ lovinlosing September 25, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Congrats on the race! Sorry you had to get started with the stress, but glad it all worked out.
Carolyn @ lovinlosing recently posted..Larchmont RAT Race 5K

2 Freya September 25, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Ooh you were a speed demon! Sucks about all the parking and that..I saw you were having problems on Twitter! But wow, what a fast race!
Freya recently posted..Time for Twelve again

3 Heather September 25, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Hi Meghann,
Nice job with the race! I have a question. What kind of headband are you wearing? Is it good at keeping your hair back?

4 Marina September 25, 2010 at 12:49 pm

congrats on that awesome race, and specially for running more miles after it, you’re really awesome girl
Marina recently posted..saying hi to children while smelling the fermented grapes and admiring the pumpkins

5 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 25, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Congrats on your PR! That’s awesome!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Pumpkin Crazy

6 Kristy @ KristyRuns September 25, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Yay! Congrats! Y’all are so fast. I need to start doing whatever speed work you’ve been doing. :)

7 Rachel Boldman September 25, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I almost didn’t make it, too! I left my house WAY too late. I’m lucky that I “work” at Winnie Palmer every day (internship) so I know a lot of the back roads and cut-throughs that they left open so people could still get to the ER’s. I was in a total PANIC walking out to the start line though. And I didn’t get a chance to go to the bathroom before, which hurt the whole way through the race! But I’m happy with how I did. It’s so cool that you PR’d and you didn’t even mean to! :)
Rachel Boldman recently posted..My Big Night Out

8 Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life September 25, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Congrats on the PR!
Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life recently posted..Reporting from Harvard

9 emily September 25, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Congrats on your new PR! You are such a running rockstar!
emily recently posted..Wonky WordPress

10 grocery goddess jen September 25, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Wahoo! A new PR, even during taper time. I bet you’re going to rock the marathon next month!

11 Ellie September 25, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Congrats on a new PR! Those always feel good!

12 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations September 25, 2010 at 2:21 pm

That is odd about the shrinking medals. For HUGE medals, check out the Little Rock Marathon. They’re known for having the the largest medals. I don’t have one, but I’ve seen them! Ginormous!!!

13 Kristina @ spabettie September 25, 2010 at 2:26 pm

congrats on your new PR !! :)

I love that Basil (dachshund = short legs!!) can run with me… actually sticks in for a couple miles usually… and then crashes for the rest of the day!!
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..peanut butter chocolate ice cream

14 Bria September 25, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Yay! Great race! Glad Kelly made it, and congrats on your new PR!
Bria recently posted..Fun in Numbers

15 Whitney @ Whitinspired September 25, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Good lord! I actually did a double take after I read that you ran another 3 miles after the race. You’re a running machine :)
Whitney @ Whitinspired recently posted..Oktoberfest Celebration!

16 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 25, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Awesome PR! Glad everyone made it to the start. Getting there is always the worst part of the race for me. You will do awesome at your marathon!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Grey’s Anatomy- Can I Have My Life Back

17 Lindsey @ SoundEats September 25, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Great race! Like that scoop neck. ;) I’m wearing one right now, too. :)
Lindsey @ SoundEats recently posted..Thankful

18 Heather September 25, 2010 at 3:53 pm

way to go you did awesome! I think it’s so cool to do repeat races several years in a row. Great job and so glad everyone made it!
Heather recently posted..Run for your life!

19 Caitlin (EatFeats) September 25, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Holy smokes you are so fast! Congrats on the new PR. Also I looove your shirt!
Caitlin (EatFeats) recently posted..Living it up at the Hotel California

20 Jamie @ Food in Real Life September 25, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Love your top! Where’s it from?
Congrats on the PR!
Jamie @ Food in Real Life recently posted..Sweet Saturday

21 christina cadden September 25, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Congrats on your race!

22 Elizabeth September 25, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Congrats on your race! Your seriously are a running machine. I can’t even run a 5k yet so what you can do totally amazes me. Go girl!

23 Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy September 25, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Congratulations on the PR! Look at the back of your race bib – you can take it to Chik-Fil-A for a free spicy chicken sandwich until 10/31 (at least that’s what my 5k bib says) – so still in luck :)
Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy recently posted..Lucky

24 Cate September 25, 2010 at 5:28 pm

The traffic situation was a bit crazy, we got right to the start line when they blew the horn for the race to begin!
I was looking forward to the chicken sandwich too, but I have to agree that the parfait was DELISH!
Congrats on the PR! :)
Cate recently posted..A Positive Something is Better Than a Negative Nothing

25 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 25, 2010 at 5:32 pm

It’s so fun to see you get speedier and speedier as a runner. Awesome race!

26 Erica September 25, 2010 at 6:39 pm

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! Way to PR! That is wonderful. Aren’t those little chickfila parfaits tasty? Hope the rest of your day was/is wonderful
Erica recently posted..Vegan Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

27 SaraRM September 25, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Youre such a rockstar!

28 Jess @ LifeBeginsat21 September 25, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Yay for the new PR! Such a rockstar – and inspiration. I love the lululemon top you are wearing as well.

29 mary September 25, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Great race meghann!! awesome time and way to keep your pace! you’re going to rock chicago! :)
mary recently posted..Inspiring Inspiration

30 Melissa @ TryingToHeal September 25, 2010 at 9:46 pm

great job on the race megs! you’re going to do so well in chicago! but yes, you just gotta remember to stop starting off so fast! remember when we ran seasons 52 5.2k? uh huh…that’s what i thought. ;)
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Speed Time

31 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 26, 2010 at 4:51 am

Well done on the race – your time is awesome!!
Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) recently posted..Why I Stepped on the Scales

32 Sara September 26, 2010 at 7:32 am

Great job PRing!! I was soo happy to see you around mile 1. =)

Chicago is 2 weeks from today!

33 Allison September 26, 2010 at 10:33 am

I just wanted to ease your mind a bit about that parfait, LOL…I work for Chick-fil-A, and the yogurt IS, in fact, low-fat! :) We are the only ones who use fresh yogurt! It has all the good stuff in it that yogurt is supposed to have…and it doesn’t come to us frozen! Yay!!! Aren’t they yummy??? :)

34 Amiee @ LoveForLiving September 26, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Congrats on another race! PS: Maddie is tooo cute!
Amiee @ LoveForLiving recently posted..CALLING ALL PUMPKINS!!!!

35 RunningOnCoffee September 26, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Great job with your PR! And you looked cute in your Lululemon Scoopneck Tank, too! :) Glad you found everyone at the end!