Pumpkin Scones

by Meghann on September 24, 2010

Alarm beeped at 5:30 this morning.

Realized I could sleep an extra thirty minutes and re-set my alarm for 6:00.

Woke up to birds chirping outside my window at 7:00.

D’oh!

At least I had remembered to put the towels in the dryer before I went to bed. 😉

Maddie usually acts as my second alarm clock on mornings when I sleep too late, but this morning she was just as happy for the extra hour of sleep as my body was. When I eventually got up and took her outside she still had this half-glazed sleepy look about her. The poor thing looked like she was sleep walking. 🙂

Since I had prepped breakfast the night before the only real thing I slept through was a nice morning walk, which I can just as easily do after work. 😉

IMG_0349

Last night I put on my baker’s hat and made a batch of Angela’s Pumpkin Scones.

IMG_0357

In her original recipe Angela had left out the sugar, so I added about a 1/2 of cup to the dry mix. The result still wasn’t super sweet, but instead resembled the slight sweetness of a biscuit. The glaze added a touch of sweetness too, but it was very faint. Next time I wouldn’t be so stingey with the glaze and go extra thick on the top coat.

IMG_0351

The texture was dry and crumbly.  The mix was easy to put together. And of course anything with pumpkin is a real winner in my book. 😉

I had a scone for breakfast this morning with some pumpkin yogurt and fresh figs.

IMG_0371

The pumpkin yogurt was just a combination of vanilla yogurt and canned pumpkin mixed with a 1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice. I topped it with some Maple Granola Munch for a little crunch.

IMG_0375

I ended up slathering the yogurt on the scone. Next time I would pair the scone with some nice jam to off set the dryness, but the yogurt worked well this morning for that job. 🙂

IMG_0396

Morning g-chat with Derek:

• Derek:  do I have fresh dry towels waiting for me??
  •  me:  yes
  • they’re still in the dryer, but they’re dry
  • I hate laundry
  • Derek:  you and me both
  • i’d do dishes by hand way before laundry
  • me:  ughh… i hate dishes too
  • I hate anything that requires stuff to be put away afterwards

True Story.

1 Freya September 24, 2010 at 9:09 am

Oh I feel you on the laundry! My heart sinks and I well up with tears at the thought of hanging up washing :'(
I want your breakfast 😀
Freya recently posted..Time for Twelve again

2 Tina September 24, 2010 at 9:09 am

I feel you!! I HATE having to put dishes away and laundry away. I don’t mind the rest of it at all.

And I seriously need to make some of those pumpkin scones. I’ve been on such a huge pumpkin for breakfast kick.
Tina recently posted..a day of birthdays

3 maria @ Chasing the Now September 24, 2010 at 9:12 am

I’m with you on the dishes AND the laundry. That’s one of my major gripes about Japan… no dryers even!
maria @ Chasing the Now recently posted..Strategies for maintaining your hard work

4 Shannon, Tropical Eats September 24, 2010 at 9:14 am

laundry is the worst! my mom always wants me to hang them up to air dry and save on the electric bill which makes it even worse. dealing with all of those hangers is a pain in the butt
Shannon, Tropical Eats recently posted..Things I Learned While Cleaning My Closet

5 Dori September 24, 2010 at 9:15 am

I am the worst when it comes to dishes — to the point of flies hanging around my sink. I am gross.
Dori recently posted..The Long Runs

6 Meghann September 24, 2010 at 9:17 am

I am gross too. No judgement.

7 allison @ thesundayflog September 24, 2010 at 9:19 am

hahahah im cracking up about the conversation! i am the same way. i will dutifully load and run the dishwasher/laundry, but then let everything SIT for days after it’s clean. i have piles of fresh folded clothes on the couch in my bedroom as i speak!
allison @ thesundayflog recently posted..Voting Starts NOW!

8 Meghann September 24, 2010 at 9:27 am

Yep! That’s me too 🙂

9 Theodora September 24, 2010 at 11:34 am

Um, I will leave stuff in the dryer and dishwasher and then re-run the dryer so my clothes don’t get wrinkled, and re-run the dishwasher so my dishes don’t get smelly! #adultfail.

10 ashleigh September 24, 2010 at 9:23 am

Wow that breakfast looks delicious!

I hate laundry too! It’s the worst chore ever. I love having clean clothes but would rather have someone do it for me! I don’t mind washing dishes but I agree I hate putting them away. The only time I put them away is when I have more dishes to wash and need to make room.
ashleigh recently posted..Spinach and Artichoke Dip

11 Caroline September 24, 2010 at 9:33 am

Haha, wouldn’t that g-chat include cooking? 🙂

12 Meghann September 24, 2010 at 9:45 am

No, cooking is the fun part. It’s the stuff afterwards (the dishes) that require being put away. 🙂

13 Kelly September 24, 2010 at 9:35 am

Haha, I hate anything that needs to be put away after also.
Kelly recently posted..Wedding Number 3

14 Anne @ a daily slice September 24, 2010 at 9:43 am

Word 🙂

Those scones look soooooo good!!

15 Sarah @ EatRunGarden September 24, 2010 at 9:56 am

Those Scones look and sound delicious. I hate when it’s time for me to get up but then I have to drag my dog out of bed, it always seems wrong.
Sarah @ EatRunGarden recently posted..Kale Soup

16 Madeline - Greens and Jeans September 24, 2010 at 10:05 am

I TOTALLY agree with you. I hate laundry because I hate the “folding and putting away” part. I’ll let clothes sit dry in the dryer forever.
Madeline – Greens and Jeans recently posted..lightning strikes twice

17 Carolyn @ lovinlosing September 24, 2010 at 10:07 am

I’m with you on the putting away thing. I have laundry piled up on top of the washer and dryer right now, but I did empty/re-fill the dishwasher this morning. 🙂
Carolyn @ lovinlosing recently posted..Squash It!

18 Melanie September 24, 2010 at 10:37 am

I feel you on the “putting things away” thing. My hubby and I had a deal…he does laundry, and I fold it. It ends up that he does the laundry, and I let it pile up until the pile is about four feet high and we have to go “fishing for underwear” every morning. :).
Melanie recently posted..Recipe- Crockpot Taco Soup

19 Jessie September 24, 2010 at 10:42 am

I totally agree with the having to put things away after. I feel like my evenings are spent constantly unloading dishwasher (seriously, we fill up the dishwasher almost everyday, just the two of us) and putting away laundry. Ugh!

20 Biz September 24, 2010 at 10:50 am

I am the WORST at putting laundry away – it sometimes sits in a basket in my basement for a week!

Happy Friday!
Biz recently posted..Such a fun day!

21 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 24, 2010 at 10:57 am

Ew me too. I’m the WORST at letting clean clothes pile up.
I’ve been debating making those scones.. i’m ALL about some pumpkin scones!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Pumpkin Crazy

22 Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf September 24, 2010 at 11:25 am

Ugh, I’ll do laundry ANY day before dishes! I can’t stand cleaning the kitchen! I have no problem making a mess in there, but cleaning is a whole other story. 😉 It’s such a toxic combination.
Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf recently posted..Finding Purpose

23 Dani September 24, 2010 at 12:31 pm

must. make. pumpkin. scones! I actually liked orange fruits and veggies so much as a baby (carrots, squash, etc) that my mom says I TURNED orange! I wonder if that’ll happen again now that I’m eating so much pumpkin and if so, if it’ll look like I got a bad fake tan, hahaha!
Dani recently posted..crazy bag lady

24 Sarah @ Going on Goals September 24, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Your scones look amazing! Too bad I have yet tp find pumpkin 🙁 but when I do Angelas (with some added sugar) are on the top of my list!
Sarah @ Going on Goals recently posted..Sunday afternoon bike ride

25 faith @ gracefulfitness September 24, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I agree with Tina, I don’t mind doing dishes or laundry but putting it away is such a chore!
faith @ gracefulfitness recently posted..Fall- the best of both squash

26 Lisa September 24, 2010 at 1:19 pm

LOL Funny chat. Sounds like a recent conversation I had with my BF. 😉
Lisa recently posted..A Work in Progress

27 Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) September 24, 2010 at 1:31 pm

These looks delicious! I’ve been meaning to make pumpkins scones for a while, there is another really great recipe from the cookbook “Once Upon a Tart”, which has cranberries in it!

I’m also so glad I bought fresh figs today, because your pictures are giving me a huge craving for some 🙂

28 Krystina September 24, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Your breakfast sounds and looks ridiculously good!
Krystina recently posted..Chill It with Millet

29 Stefanie @TheNewHealthy September 24, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Pumpkin yogurt? That looks/sounds amazing! There about a million pumpkin recipes I want to try at the moment, but that’s so simple so it might just be the first! 🙂
Stefanie @TheNewHealthy recently posted..Warming up with a game of Carrot!

30 Elizabeth September 24, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I have never been a fan of scones. They always taste so dry to me. I love pumpkin though so I wonder if I would like pumpkin scones. hmmm…..

31 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 24, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Loving all the pumpkin in your breakfast!

32 Katie G September 24, 2010 at 3:14 pm

It’s funny, I did the EXACT same thing this morning…alarm set for 5:30am, and I woke up at 7:01am…darn….luckily I was able to sneak out at lunch for a quick workout.
Laundry is the WORST, I’d rather clean the bathroom than fold and put laundry away!
Yum, Pumpkin! I’m going to buy a big can this weekend and start the fall madness!

33 Kacy September 24, 2010 at 3:22 pm

That sounds like me every morning lol.

Yay for fresh towels 😉

34 Caitlin (EatFeats) September 24, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I hate laundry, too! I love washing dishes by hand, but pretty much refuse to put them away. I always end up with big piles of clean clothing and clean dishes.
Caitlin (EatFeats) recently posted..My Poker Face

35 sarahMTSBB September 24, 2010 at 3:53 pm

so funny! i just bought spelt flour at the store 15 minuges ago b/c i happened to see it randomly, not remembering what recipe i wanted it for…it was angela’s pumpkin scones! now i have everything i need just in time for a lazy saturday morning. thanks!!! 🙂

36 Gwen September 24, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I LURVE Sbux pumpkin scones – I will def try these this weekend! Going to make Tina’s cauliflower mac too!
Gwen recently posted..CLEARLY I Need to Go Shopping – Add it to My Post 101010 TO DO List!

37 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com September 25, 2010 at 10:09 am

GORGEOUS!! these looks SO GOOD!!! i wanted mine to be scones but they turned into scuffins lol. love the fresh figs paired with them!

{ 2 trackbacks }