Lukewarm

by Meghann on September 23, 2010

Want to know a secret?

I’m one of those weirdos who likes lukewarm leftover pizza.

IMG_0281

Not hot, not cold – but somewhere in between.

I put in the microwave for 30-45 seconds tops and like it best when the crust is tough and the toppings are flat and still slightly cool to the touch.

IMG_0275

This method of re-heating pizza worked out well with last night’s eggy- pizza creation. The pizza’s overcooked yolk reminded me of a hard boiled egg once it had been in the fridge overnight. After a short 30 second snap the rubbery texture I had experienced last night faded away. The egg was easier to cut and just as tasty on the taste buds. Any longer and everything would have turned soggy, any shorter and it would still have been too tough to chew. 30 seconds was perfect.

IMG_0283

The broccoli also had a short trip in the microwave – about a minute or so – just enough to slightly ‘steam’ them.

IMG_0272

IMG_0270

Morning fruit

IMG_0266

I had some questions this morning about running songs. As I’ve mentioned before, you probably don’t want to know what I’m listening to when I’m running. It’s a mix of showtunes, Glee, country, top 40, and a few oldies thrown in there. We all have our own taste in music and that is mine.

Maybe some other people out there have better taste than I. Any suggestions for great running songs?

My sister did have something right when recommending the Eminem songs and I hate to admit it, but I ran my 5K last month entirely to the Wicked Soundtrack. Hey! Those songs are perfect for zoning out. 😉

1 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 23, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I agree with the pizza thing! While I don’t like it necessarily cold, just a tiny bit of heat to slightly melt the cheese is perfect. And umm, if it has egg on it, you can eat it for breakfast right?

2 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers September 23, 2010 at 1:49 pm

i LOVE ’90s music & disney songs when i run! a lil’ honky tonk is great, too!
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..Healthy Eating in College

3 Freya September 23, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I like rap music to run to 😛 And Sweet Dreams by Eurhythmics (think that’s how you spell it), and Insomnia by Faithless – my favourites 🙂
Freya recently posted..Time for Twelve again

4 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 23, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I love anything with a beat when I run. Running is the only time I can listen to techno, rap, or electronic music. My current favorite running song (which I hate to listen to any other time) is “I Like That” by Richard Vission & Static Revenger Starring Luciana. Total club song, which is probably why it was on the Jersey Shore soundtrack 🙂
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Focus- Focus- Focus!

5 Catherine @ Life 2.0 September 23, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I love to listen to Ida Maria because her songs are really upbeat. Or, Chemical Brothers…again, it’s all about the good beat for me!
Catherine @ Life 2.0 recently posted..It’s not easy being green

6 Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. September 23, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Your running music is pretty much the exact same as mine. I throw in some late 90s/early 00s pop as well (Britney, BSB, etc.)
Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..in the pumpkin mode

7 Anne September 23, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I think you and I have the same iPod. That’s pretty much all that is on mine as well.

Also for a great walking beat, try “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”. It’s the perfect pace to, say, walk to work in downtown Chicago (which is what I used to do).
Anne recently posted..Your Ticket to Save the Date

8 Anne @ a daily slice September 23, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I am the exact same way about leftover pizza. Yours looks stellar!!

Congrats on the walking club at work! The school where I teach started a “walk around the world” project and gave the kids all pedometers. They get an update every morning about where they are based on the number of cumulative steps everyone has taken.

Everyone starts somewhere 🙂
Anne @ a daily slice recently posted..Do Something

9 michelle September 23, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I listen to a lot of AC/DC on my runs.
michelle recently posted..The best of intentions

10 Nicole September 23, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I’m with you on the pizza, but sometimes I think I’m just too inpatient to wait for it to fully warm up 🙂

11 Taylor September 23, 2010 at 2:20 pm

i love running to the song “shots!” by lmfao/lil jon
it just makes me feel like im out somewhere dancing rather than running 🙂
and of course any dance-y beyonce songs, love her

12 Tina September 23, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I like lukewarm leftover pizza too. I can’t do cold but hate when it gets kind of mushy from being overheated. I can’t do anything soggy!
Tina recently posted..a day of birthdays

13 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 23, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Leftover pizza is BEST in the toaster oven.
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..advanced yoga review

14 Lisa September 23, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Ludacris is awesome for running. 😉 haha

I have lots of urban/top 40 in my running play list. They are fast-paced and make me run faster!
Lisa recently posted..A Work in Progress

15 Kacy September 23, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I’m a weirdo too. I like pizza cold the best, but I hate it piping hot so I’ll leave it out for an hour or two before eating. Yep, weird 🙂

I just did a post on running songs I love: Modest Mouse “Fire it Up”, The Killers “All These Things that I’ve Done”, The Flaming Lips “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots”, Zac Brown Band “Free”.

I love rap to workout too also – Weezy, Drake, Jay Z, DJ Khaled, Eminem etc. but for longer runs I tend to be drawn more toward alternative/rock/punk music because it is the perfect background music to do a lot of thinking and I like to think deep thoughts when I run 🙂

16 Sana September 23, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Indian music! It’s a funky and fun beat 🙂
Sana recently posted..Am I a Trail Mix Person

17 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 23, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Mmm leftovers – yum! My iPod is full of trash and to be honest it’s out-of-date trash; I haven’t updated my iTunes in about a year and a half!
Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) recently posted..Pina Colada Porridge

18 elyssa September 23, 2010 at 3:16 pm

love generation, bob sinclair – always gets me moving 🙂

19 Victoria September 23, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I like pizza semi-warm, not super hot, and definitely not cold. I don’t usually run with music, but when I do it’s usually top 40 or hip hop. Whatever has a nice beat.
Victoria recently posted..Colorado 2010- The Beer

20 Juli D. September 23, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Just spied that you went to GABF and I’m jealous! Glad to see the Michigan breweries seemed to represent well! 🙂
Juli D. recently posted..Change of Plans

21 Tricia September 23, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Running songs you ask? I so rely on them to get me through a workout. I also am partial to Wicked and GLEE! and…
Most any song on the Little Jackie CD, esp Go Hard or Go Home, Liked You Better Before, The Stoop, 28 Butts, Cryin for the Queen, etc. Also LOVE India.Arie esp I Choose, Therapy, Beautiful Day, I Choose.
Change Your Mind by the Killers
Not Your Girl and Faster Faster by Bree Sharp
Shadow Stabbing by Cake
As Cool As I Am by Dar Williams
No Bad News by Patty Griffin
Work the Change and Faith Never Sleeps by Danny Flanigan and the Rain Chorus
Kick Drum Heart by the Avett Brothers
(If You’re Wondering if I Want You To) I Want You To and The Girl Got Hot by Weezer

22 Kristyn September 23, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Lukewarm pizza is sooooo good! I’m with you there! I just added 2 80s songs to my playlist…real into Patty Smyth from that 80s band with the song “The Warrior” and “Sweet Child of Mine.” Warrior is my fave so far though….been hittin up the 80s section on itunes! Rock on Meghann!

23 Sarah September 23, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I have to admit…I like Eninem, too. His music seems like an especially good fit for a run.
Sarah recently posted..A Hand Up

24 breakingsilence @ Freshman -15 September 23, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I don’t run all that much, but when I do, I’ve found that these songs get me going:

“Even If” – ZOEgirl
“The Best Thing [Euro Stack Mix]” – Avalon
“Come Alive” AND “Running Out Of Time” – BarlowGirl
“Desperate” – Fireflight
“Anthem” – Superchic[k]
breakingsilence @ Freshman -15 recently posted..1-4 there

25 Juli D. September 23, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Foo Fighters are hands down the best band to run to. My Hero, Everlong, Pretender, anything by them gets me going! I’ll throw in some Beastie Boys, Rage Against the Machine, Led Zeppelin, etc. in there too. So good!
Juli D. recently posted..Change of Plans

26 Steph September 23, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Jay Z/ Linkin Park Remix!
Steph recently posted..Peachy

27 Katherine @ Left Coast Contessa September 23, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I enjoy listening to really degrading hip hop and overly intense rap. Lots of Eminem. David Guetta is also great. Ludicrous runs with me all the time. Sometimes I do a Britney run where I only listen to Britney Spears. Jay Z frequently makes it into rotation. I am embarrassed to admit it, but that “fly like a g6” song has become a fav. Bad taste… I know!
Katherine @ Left Coast Contessa recently posted..Fall Favorites

28 Michelle Arnold September 23, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Whoa. I just posted a blog entry on running songs. Check out 20 of my fave – http://bit.ly/cfWSdt
Michelle Arnold recently posted..Songs Made for Running

29 Jamie @ Food in Real Life September 23, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I’m with you on the lukewarm pizza. I like when the crust is a tad rubbery and the cheese isn’t quite melty yet. Glad I’m not alone!
Jamie @ Food in Real Life recently posted..Drill Baby Drill

30 Lily's Health Pad September 23, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Placebo-Infared and Static X- The Only

There are a lot more here: http://www.lilyshealthpad.com/2010/02/11/lhps-rockin-work-out-playlist/

This playlist is for the rockers out there!

31 Liz @ Blog is the New Black September 23, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Anything by the Black Eyed Peas or Gwen Stefani!

32 Shannon @ Freshman Yr September 23, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I can only listen to rap/hip hop when running or working out. I love country music though just not running!

33 NC September 23, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I actually listen to a lot of heavy metal for some reason , iron maiden , led zeppelin… , but there is pop mixed in , black eyed peas is good too , but I have movie soundtracks … lord of the rings soundtracks is nice to run too , my favorite is probably dethroned .. by x-ray dog … it is perfect for picking the pace !!! , could you actually put a playlist … of yours … I would like to change some of my music … Hope you are having a great day !!

34 Dani September 23, 2010 at 5:55 pm

“I was a teenage anarchist” by Against me is a great workout song! Also, if I bring a sandwich to work for lunch, I zap it for 30ish seconds. I like my sandwiches luke-warm otherwise they’re too dry and cold…
Dani recently posted..crazy bag lady

35 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 23, 2010 at 6:04 pm

It’s not weird at all – I love the same thing!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Fun in the sun

36 Becky at flybynyght September 23, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I’m all about Linkin Park when I’m running – high tempo with just enough aggression!
Becky at flybynyght recently posted..Chilli- Cabbage- Cauliflower- Broccoli…oops- sorry

37 Rachel (@Smile Out Loud) September 23, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Oh my goodness, that pizza looks SO DELISH! I would definitely eat it at any temperature, too 😀

My favorite running song right now is Dog Days by Florence and the Machine. It adds a kick to my runs 😀 I hope you like it!

38 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 23, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I loooove cold pizza!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Pumpkin Crazy

39 Toronto Girl West September 23, 2010 at 7:49 pm

I have to confess I love nothing better than cold day old pizza. I know it’s wrong. But it makes me happy! lol 😛
Toronto Girl West recently posted..Long Beach Half Training – 8 Miles

40 Rachael September 23, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Lukewarm and cold pizza are the way to go….don’t remember the last time I had it hot :).
Rap when I run – political hip-hop keeps me fired up and going!

41 emily September 23, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Two facts – 1. I *prefer* pizza lukewarm. 2 – Pumpkin pie smoothies are my very favorite way to eat pumpkin so your breakfast made me happy.
emily recently posted..More of a Mountain than a Hump

42 Ashley September 23, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I’m the opposite – I have to have all of my pizza hot. I’ll sit there restarting the microwave three or four times to get it to the desired temperature 😛

I have around 10 gigs of music on my iPod (all different genres, everything you could imagine) and I go through phases every couple of weeks. Some tracks I’m currently digging on from all over the board:

*Ke$ha – Take It Off
*Flo-Rida – Right Round
*The Pretty Reckless – Make Me Wanna Die / Miss Nothing (you’re a Gossip Girl fan, right? Taylor Momsen is the singer!)
*Fall Out Boy – the entire Folie a Deux album
*Green Day – The Grouch
*Streetlight Manifesto – Somewhere in the Between (heck yeah ska!)

43 HAngry Pants September 23, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Uncle Andy on Weeds makes pizza eggs.

44 Bee Goes Bananas September 23, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Normally I’m okay with leftovers, but leftover pizza grosses me out. The cheese is rubbery and the crust is mushy.

I’m not much of a pizza eater to begin with though! 😉

45 Marika September 24, 2010 at 3:40 am

Currently some of my favorite running songs are “Bulletproof” by La Roux and “Airplanes” by B.O.B. I’m dying to get more Glee songs on my iPod!
Marika recently posted..Järvemetsa laager

46 Orla September 24, 2010 at 5:03 am

Oh – I am in the middle of changing up my music.
– Born to Run – Bruce Springsteen
– Candyman – Christina Aguilera
-Eye of the Tiger – Survivo
– Golden Age of Radio – Josh Ritter
– Dog Days are Over – Florence and the Machine
– Help!- The Beatles (this came on at mile 19 during my first marathon – appropriate!!!

That is a random selection of the new playlist I have put together!
Orla recently posted..Cinnamon Bread and a winning Weekend

47 Jessica September 24, 2010 at 6:18 am

I listen to the Rent soundtrack when I run… or Into the Woods lol it’s nice to see someone who wouldnt think I’m crazy for that. It’s so easy to get into the story and picture in your head what’s going on so you can zone out without even thinking about it!

Garth Brooks’ live album has been on my running playlists lately too… I think it’s something about the energy of listening to a concert 🙂

48 Stephanie September 24, 2010 at 9:04 am

That’s crazy! I’m the same way. I can’t eat it straight cold but it can’t be bubbly either. Just in the middle 🙂
Stephanie recently posted..Vegetarian Taco Salad

49 postcollegecook September 24, 2010 at 10:11 am

I love lukewarm leftover pizza too. I hate when it gets too hot in the microwave and burns your mouth, so I always err on the side of caution and only heat it up a little.

Also – Eminem is the BEST running music! haha.
postcollegecook recently posted..Grilled Oregano Salmon squeezes out last drops of summer