The Track

by Meghann on September 22, 2010

There’s a local track I love to travel to when ever my speed workouts require one. It’s about a 15 minute drive away, but sometimes that extra time is worth it.

I’ve tried speed workouts around my neighborhood at home multiple times (even programming my Garmin for the specific work out), but it just isn’t the same as going laps around a track. I swear there is something about running that .25 mile loop that just makes me feel faster. Maybe it’s because I see the end in sight? or maybe it’s because I’m a numbers person? Either way I’ll leave my longer runs to the streets and take my speed to the track. 😉

I had my last set of Yassos for my Chicago Training Plan this morning.

A couple of things could have resulted in a bad run

• I slept later than originally intended (dang that snooze button)
  • Not only is my Garmin missing the ‘enter’ button, it is now missing the loop that keeps the extra part of the band tucked in
  • My iPod died as soon as I exited my car

Gulp.

Sure the Garmin band wasn’t that big of a deal and arriving at the track 20 minutes late didn’t hurt me in the end, BUT the dead iPod was clearly an issue. In order to give it all I’ve got, I need some sort of distraction. The iPod grants me the opportunity to zone out and just run. Six back to back yassos with no high intensity music? I’m in trouble.

Luckily, I discovered people watching is another great way to zone out. Instead of concentrating on my run and my pace, I concentrated on others and allowed my mind to wander.

My favorite track was full of people this morning. There were marines (I think they were marines) running drills, a few random runners, a boot camp class, and a guy training for a triathlon and kept switching between laps on his bike and laps around the track.

The guy training for the triathlon was particularly distracting. Watching him practice his transitions between cycling and running made me think about my own triathlon training. Not once did I practice transitions like this guy. Maybe I should have? Maybe I’ll do it next time. Wait, next time? When will that next time be? Kelly said she wanted to do a half Ironman in the spring, maybe I’ll run with her. Yeah, I can do a half ironman. If I set my mind to it, I can do anything.  I can do a full Ironman too….one day. Two years from now? Three? I can do it.

Oh look, I’m half way done.

Three yassos down and I’ve already talked myself into a full Ironman. Great. I wonder what this guy in gray is doing? He keeps passing me. Fast, slow, fast, slow. He isn’t wearing headphones either. I wonder if he always runs without headphones? I really need to make sure my ipod is charged before my run tomorrow. And before my race on Saturday. And before the full marathon in Chicago. I also need to download some new songs for a Chicago playlist. Definitely need to download those Eminem songs Kelly was singing to me last Saturday. What were they again? ‘You’ve got to lose yourself in the music’ No, wait, that isn’t it. ‘mumble..mumble.mumble.. Because opportunities come once in a life time’ Crap. Now the song is stuck in my head and I only know half the words. Must think of something else. ‘I wanna be a billionaire so friggin bad’ oh good, a Glee song. Must download that when I get home too.

beep. beep. beep.

I’m done? Woop! Woop!

That wasn’t so bad. 🙂

A quicky baby wipe shower in the Publix sink (don’t judge) and it was time for breakfast.

IMG_0154

Plain Yogurt with Blueberry Merlot Jam

IMG_0155

AB + Peach + Granola Sandwich

IMG_0168

I made this night before and toasted the entire sandwich whole in the office toaste oven this morning. The result was a crispy sandwich with gooey AB and baked peaches in between.

IMG_0164

Tons to do at work today!

Looks like I’ll be going on an impromptu trip to Colorado next week to work a conference. This last minute trip brings my number of scheduled flights in the month of October to four. I guess that’s just part of the job.

Do you travel a lot for work? How do you do it? I think I need to put together some sort of traveling game plan for the next month. It’s going to be rough.

1 Kath Younger September 22, 2010 at 9:27 am

Love your stream of consciousness.

And I can’t BELIEVE you only showered in the sink before work!! AHH!
Kath Younger recently posted..A Great Harvest

2 Lindsay September 22, 2010 at 9:27 am

There aren’t any good running trails near where I live, so if I’m not on a track I have to cross streets / pay attention to the things around me which means I can’t zone out like I do on the track! I can run a mile about 2 minutes faster EASY on a track!

3 megan @ whatmegansmaking September 22, 2010 at 9:29 am

my thinking goes a lot like that when I run too – but I definitely don’t talk myself into any ironmans!

and I agree with Kath – you showered in the sink after a run??
megan @ whatmegansmaking recently posted..Chai Latte

4 Kelly September 22, 2010 at 9:32 am

Wow you seriously travel so much for work! I never travel, but I would love to I think.
Kelly recently posted..Wedding Number 3

5 Madeline - Greens and Jeans September 22, 2010 at 9:34 am

Whenever I run without an iPod I usually have one song I only know the chorus to stuck in my head. Awful.
Madeline – Greens and Jeans recently posted..just add water

6 Freya September 22, 2010 at 9:37 am

Peach and granola sandwich? Oh that’s love right there.
I have an hour commute each way to uni, which sucks 🙁 I aaalways pack up breakfast and lunch and snacks the night before 🙂 Saves so much time!
Loved reading about that workout 🙂

7 Mary September 22, 2010 at 9:55 am

Good for you completing those yassos with no music!
I love your stream of consciousness while you’re running, I do that too sometimes. It serves as good distraction 🙂

8 Carolyn @ lovinlosing September 22, 2010 at 9:56 am

Your Garmin is falling apart already? Didn’t you just get it? Maybe it’s still under warranty.
Carolyn @ lovinlosing recently posted..Nature’s Pride- Apple Tarts for Many

9 Meghann September 22, 2010 at 10:08 am

It’s not the new Garmin. The new garmin was the replacement I had purchased for Ashley since hers was the one I actually lost. We traded back and I have my original Garmin which is almost 2 years old and very well worn and loved.

10 Carolyn @ lovinlosing September 23, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Ohhh…yeah! I forgot about that. Boo.
Carolyn @ lovinlosing recently posted..Rollercoaster

11 Meghan September 22, 2010 at 10:02 am

You should see about sending your Garmin in (after Chicago), it should be under warranty. Mine died last week, I contacted them via email, they told me to send it and off it went. I should have a new one next week.

12 Nic September 22, 2010 at 10:07 am

I have to have my iPod when I workout. Those rare times when I forget to charge it for a week at a time and it dies right as I enter the gym I think the world is going to end. Then I start my run, weights, or whatever and realize that it’s a nice change of scenery when I don’t have my iPod on. I think to myself that I should do it more often, but then I wonder if it would be as good…
Nic recently posted..A different kind of za

13 Khar September 22, 2010 at 10:09 am

I travel a fair amount for work (and I don’t think it’s as glamorous as some people may think. Crazy long days, bad food options). I’d love to hear from you how you keep up with a regiment while traveling. I always being gym clothes because I hate to pack things and not use them.

14 Rachel September 22, 2010 at 10:11 am

After our sprint tri on Saturday, Eric was trying to talk me into registering for the half ironman in Orlando May 2011. Is that the one Kelly wants to do? I think I’ll wait until I complete my first half marathon this November before registering for a half ironman. I definitely see more triathlons, of varying distances, in my future!
Rachel recently posted..No Headphones!

15 Amanda September 22, 2010 at 10:15 am

My ipod did the same thing to me on monday, luckily I had my iphone but it doesn’t have my running playlist on it so I had to use my generic playlist. I also can’t change songs while my iphone is recording my running distance (i don’t have a Garmin yet 🙁 ) so I was at the mercy of the shuffle and of course it found the one ridiculously long and slow classical music song on my playlist. It was a rough 5 minutes.
Amanda recently posted..Good or Bad

16 Kelly September 22, 2010 at 10:17 am

Half Ironman!!! Yeah! There is always something else on the horizon worth training for. 😉

17 Kim H September 22, 2010 at 10:19 am

My Garmin’s watch band broke the 2nd time I used it. I ordered a Garmin velcro strap from Amazon for $14 and am sooooo happy with it. It’s much easier to use and fits my wrist much better. The only downside is that you have to unhook the bottom part of the band from the velcro strap in order to charge it, but totally worth it.

18 B September 22, 2010 at 10:44 am

I was definitely very amused by this entry! I go in between using my ipod all the time and never using it. I also really like going to the track near me (but I can’t get there as often now that school started since there is always some kind of practice). Unfortunately there is usually only 1 or 2 people on it so it’s not that great for people watching!
B recently posted..I am…

19 Jocelyn September 22, 2010 at 11:09 am

I use Mapmyrun.com to find runs near the place that I am traveling on business. I also try and find some health food stores near my hotel so that i can pick up some snacks/meals without having to worry about it. Usually traveling means business lunches/dinners so I try to stay healthy with my snacks/breakfast.
Jocelyn recently posted..Cowboy Boots

20 lynne September 22, 2010 at 11:11 am

yay! denver! i live in denver – you’ll love it here this time of year.. it’s beautiful fall weather – mild, sunny days and slightly chilly evenings. 🙂 i also travel a lot for my job, about once a month – not as much as it sounds like you do, but definitely more than i expected! it’s especially rough flying to the east coast (i was in NC last week, company HQ is in boston) with the time change!

look forward to reading about your adventures next week! if you want/need suggestions for fun things to do, let me know. there’s a great hot yoga company that has some classes for $8 too. check out corepoweryoga.com

21 Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. September 22, 2010 at 11:12 am

That’s how my mind is even with music!

I don’t travel for work, other than a rare trip that’s only an hour drive away. I’d love to do a couple business trips, just to experience it!
Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..oh what a week

22 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 22, 2010 at 11:13 am

Sometimes distractions are helpful to get you through a run!
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..advanced yoga review

23 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin September 22, 2010 at 11:14 am

hahaha I love this post. Your brain seems to work a lot like mine.
Beth @ Beth’s Journey to Thin recently posted..The Prize Arrived and Grocery Store Loot

24 Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf September 22, 2010 at 11:14 am

I definitely take wet wipe showers every time I have to work out at my lunch break or before work. Thankfully my Zumba classes are AFTER work at the moment. 🙂
Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf recently posted..The Art of Breaking Bread

25 Mellissa September 22, 2010 at 11:41 am

I used to travel about 2 weeks a month for work, you get very good at packing and NEVER EVER checking your luggage. Every inch of suitcase space is utilized and you pack either brown or black accessories for the week.
Mellissa recently posted..Paradise Macaroons

26 Annie September 22, 2010 at 11:59 am

Where in Colorado? You should have a blogger meet up!!

27 Susan @ Mom Swim Bike Run September 22, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Don’t put off your ironman or 1/2 ironman dreams. Do it now BEFORE kids. Take my word for it 🙂
Susan @ Mom Swim Bike Run recently posted..Will Wake for Food

28 Faith @ lovelyascharged September 22, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Wow, blueberry merlot jam sounds absolutely incredible!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..The World is Not Enough

29 Stacey September 22, 2010 at 12:36 pm

This post made me smile. I appreciate the honesty that goes into your blog.
Stacey recently posted..Pina Colada Porridge

30 Lisa September 22, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I hate it when workouts/runs start off on the wrong foot! So distracting!
Lisa recently posted..A Work in Progress

31 Tracey September 22, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I used to travel all the time for work. At first I loved it but than I got really sick of it. Spending so much time alone in airports was not very fun, not to mention all the delays!

I tried to make the best of it by getting out and exploring the city I was traveling. Even if it was only for 1 hour I made sure to get out and explore!

I also had my bag ready to go with a couple essentials. A small framed picture of my dog (yep I’m one of those crazy pet people:)), lavendar spray for my pillow (helped me fall asleep in hotels), pashmina (for the plane), a book and snacks.

32 Sana September 22, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I did all my traveling over the summer and I am too busy in college to do anymore.

Bahaha I love your sink shower 😉
Sana recently posted..Am I a Trail Mix Person

33 Amanda September 22, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Your post was very entertaining! Have a great afternoon!

34 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) September 22, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I went to the track to do a speed workout this morning as well. It is fun to change it up and not be on the road every day!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Breakfast New Products  Lunch

35 Lauren @ Running Examiner September 22, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I NEVER have to travel for my job, and frankly that is something I wish would change. I think you need to have a good balance between traveling and being at your homebase. I used to travel quite regularly for my old job, and while waiting at airports quickly grew tedious, I liked the fact that I got to explore new areas of the country (I probably never would have thought to visit Lexington, KY on my own accord) and meet new people, clients, etc.
Lauren @ Running Examiner recently posted..Hoboken resident competes in Ironman

36 Erica September 22, 2010 at 2:19 pm

haha. I can’t run with my ipod. I like to just zone out and enjoy the environment around me 🙂 My head usually keeps me busy enough too. That sandwich looks incredible. I must try that combo. I used to travel 5 days a week for work. My game plan was always this- request a mini fridge in your hotel room (most hotel rooms either come with one or they can provide it if you ask). I go food shopping the night I get there so I have breakfast & lunch options (if the hotel doesn’t provide breakfast). Call a local gym- they’ll usually strike a deal with you for a week long membership (or some hotels have deals with local gyms).
Erica recently posted..Cookie Giveaway &amp Workout Wednesday

37 alison September 22, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I hate when my ipod dies on me like that. I definitely need the distraction, but I’m like you and find people watching quite amusing as well. My husband ran an entire marathon without music; I’m not sure how he managed to do that. I sweat way too much to take only a baby wipe bath. I can wring sweat out of my hair like a dishtowel after most workouts.

No advice for you on the work travel thing; I’m a stay at home mom so the only work travel I do is walking to the school and back twice a day…and driving to soccer practice. 🙂
alison recently posted..Toe Socks and a Basket Full of Gourds

38 Julia September 22, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I never ever run with music (cant stand ear phones, straps, extra stuff) but I always feel so lost and defeated without my trusty Garmin! I know what you mean about running faster on the track; I bet it IS seeing that finish line every lap that makes it mentally easier. Wow, a lot of traveling coming up. Good luck!

39 Brie @ Brie Fit September 22, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I’m a recruiter, so I travel a TON for work. My tips:
1) Fly Southwest whenever possible so you can check two bags for free. This way you don’t have to mess around with stuff fitting in overhead bins, and you can enjoy leisurely wandering around the terminal before your flight with just your purse.
2) Pick an airline and a hotel chain and be loyal and join their rewards programs. If something gets messed up (not enough rooms/seats), the rewards members get taken care of first. Also, I’ve already earned two free round-trip plane tickets in less than a year!
3) Get a Nook/Kindle/e-reader. I love having several book options with me on flights without having to lug around heavy books.
4) See if airlines have check-in apps for your phone. This is especially useful on Southwest, because it’s assigned seating, and the sooner you check in the earlier you get to board!
5) Instead of always eating at a restaurant, stop in a grocery store for a meal! I’ll buy stuff like a piece of fruit, a bag of baby carrots, a cup of Greek yogurt, and a multigrain bagel from the bakery for a healthier lunch on the road than fast food! (I often travel through really rural areas that don’t have ANY healthy options.)

Okay, that was a novel. Enjoy it! I love the places I get to see and go for work.
Brie @ Brie Fit recently posted..Injury Prone

40 postcollegecook September 22, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Last year I ran the entire Chicago Marathon with my iPod OFF! I brought it in case I needed it, but there was so much fun and excitement – music, cheering people, bands, Elvis, cheerleaders, Chinese dragons – that I never wanted to turn it on and miss any of the fun on the sidelines. If I run it again I won’t even bother running with my iPod.
postcollegecook recently posted..Stimulus sought for Telemark Resort purchase