Paid Off

by Meghann on September 22, 2010

I’ve got big news.

Wait for it….

I PAID OFF MY CAR!!!!!

Woo hoo!!!

I owed a little more than $600 on it and decided to just go for it and write one big check. I made the final payment this afternoon. πŸ™‚

My car was my first major purchase when I landed my ‘real world’ job after college. It was one of those impulse purchases where I decided I wanted one and bought one all in the same week. The process was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I obtained a loan through my hometown credit union, sold my old car on Craigslist, and traded a big fat check for my blue baby all in a matter of seven days.

My loan wasn’t for much (only $7,000), so with four years to pay it off my payments were minimal. Each month I would add a little more to my payment and as the number owed got smaller and smaller, I was more motivated to pay more and more into it. In the end I managed to pay off my four year loan in exactly three years (I purchased my car in September of 2007).

I feel like such an adult now. πŸ™‚

Now, what am I going to do with that extra money each month?

Oh yeah.. I’m going to put it right back in the bank. Maybe I’ll build a nice savings for an even better car down the line. I mean, that’s what the real adult would do, right? πŸ˜‰

When I made the final payment I was expecting a cake, balloons, whistles, something! But all I got was my pre-packed snacks of nut.

I paid off a whole car and all I get is some mixed nuts? I feel jipped.

That just means I have to make my own celebration. What better way to celebrate than with pizza?!?!

My Pizza tonight was 100% inspired by my good bloggie friend Matt. From his Spelt Crust Recipe to his Egg on the Pizza technique, this one is all Matt.

I’ve actually seen the egg on a pizza concept pop up on a couple of blogs lately and have been meaning to try it my self.

I baked the pizza first with some marinara sauce spinach, mushrooms, and choose for about 5 minutes. Then I cracked to eggs on top and baked for another 10.

Ten was too long. The egg cooked all the way through and became a tad bit rubbery. It was still edible and really tasty, but I knew it would have been 100x better if the egg hasn’t been overcooked.

I added some fresh basil before serving.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. πŸ˜‰

1/2 a Chocolate Peanut butter Crunch bar for dessert

I think I’m go to re-watch Glee now. πŸ™‚

Good Night!

1 Rachel Wilkerson September 22, 2010 at 9:10 pm

CONGRATS! Seriously, that’s a huge deal.

Annnd now I want pizza. I need to stop reading blogs until I go make some dinner.
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..Sunday Dinner- Going Deep

2 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 22, 2010 at 9:11 pm

That picture sounds delicious… and CONGRATS!!! I’m in the process of paying off my car so I can only imagine how happy you must be!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Pumpkin Crazy

3 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) September 22, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Congrats, Meghann!! That’s awesome. Now you can pay for race fees? I still need to try that egg on a pizza trick.
Allie (Live Laugh Eat) recently posted..Would You Rather…

4 Heather September 22, 2010 at 9:13 pm

congrats! great feeling. I love not having a car note!
Heather recently posted..First Marathon Training β€œInjury”

5 Tiffany (Stuffed With Fluff) September 22, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Congrats. It’s the best feeling. and such an accomplishment.
Tiffany (Stuffed With Fluff) recently posted..Embarking on the path to a better me

6 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 22, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Whoo hoo! Congrats on paying off the Echo. I’m an Echo driver as well πŸ˜‰

7 mary September 22, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Congrats on paying off your car! that’s a huge deal πŸ™‚
mary recently posted..GoingΒ theΒ Distance

8 Carly (Swim, Run, Om) September 22, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Congratulations! That’s a BIG deal … I still have around three years on mine, but my loan was significantly higher than $7K. Not too smart on my part! :-/
Carly (Swim, Run, Om) recently posted..To count or not to count

9 Liz @ LBBakes September 22, 2010 at 9:17 pm

woohoo, congrats on paying off your car! I think I’ll be continually making car payments my entire life. πŸ™‚
Liz @ LBBakes recently posted..September Chicken Salad

10 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope September 22, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Congratulations!! I bought my first “new” car in March 2009 (I graduated in Aug 08). I saved up for it, and i found a 2005 Toyota with only 3,500 miles at the time. Insane. Some old lady had it, but never drove it. I put down a big percentage of the price, but with my lack of credit at the time, i had a pretty big loan. Once i established myself for one year with the loan at a HUGE freakin’ interest, i was able to refinance at my hospital’s credit union for a shorter term and more than half the rate. I cannot wait to pay it off!!!!!!! I think you should definitely pretend you’re still paying and put the money into a good emergency fund.
Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope recently posted..A ride down memory lane

11 Evan Thomas September 22, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Congratulations, Meghann you adult you! I am putting off becoming an adult for as long as I can. Really, I’m freaked out by that in-between stage where you’re self-dependent but clueless. I guess we can’t stop time πŸ™‚

BTW, I literally had a dream last night where I could do a side crow as good as you. I then woke up and tried. Reality is harsh.

12 Heather September 22, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Congratulations! I remember the day I paid off my first car…it felt so good!

I have never even thought of adding an egg to a pizza – I’ve made a pizza with egg as the crust though and that was delicious!

13 Krystina September 22, 2010 at 9:21 pm

That all looks so tasty. πŸ™‚
Krystina recently posted..Chill It with Millet

14 Bethany @ Not Unless I'm Being Chased September 22, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Congrats on paying off your car! That’s a big accomplishment and you should be proud!
I actually made egg pizza tonight, too. I had luck with partially cooking the egg on the stove first and then adding it to the pizza for the last 3 minutes of bake time. It turned out perfect! Just food for thought.
Bethany @ Not Unless I’m Being Chased recently posted..Difference of Opinion

15 Matt September 22, 2010 at 9:29 pm

My instructions let you down πŸ™
Matt recently posted..I’m a Gleek!

16 ashleigh September 22, 2010 at 9:30 pm

OMG that looks SOOO good!! I wanted pizza tonight but didn’t have most of the ingredients to make it, perhaps egg pizza tomorrow?!

Congrats on paying off the car.. what an adult you are πŸ™‚

17 alison September 22, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Congratulations! Not having a car payment is an incredible feeling. You’re smart to save your car payment money, even though it’s awfully tempting to spend it.
alison recently posted..Toe Socks and a Basket Full of Gourds

18 RhodeyGirl September 22, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Congrats, Meghann! That is awesome!
RhodeyGirl recently posted..Shopping List- Welcome to Fall!

19 Beth September 22, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Your pizza looks delicious – I need to try that crust!

Congrats on paying off your car payment, that will be so nice not to have every month πŸ™‚
Beth recently posted..Season Ending &amp Another Beginning

20 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 22, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Congrats! That must feel SO good.

Yummy idea on cracking the eggs on the pizza!

21 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 22, 2010 at 10:08 pm

congratulations!What an achievement!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Fun in the sun

22 Kristen September 22, 2010 at 10:11 pm

You are a smart woman for paying off that car! Now you’ll just have to resist those temptations to get a new one b/c everyone will be bombarding you with “pre-approved car loan” mailers.

That pizza l0oks yummy, would never have though to add egg on top! Cool.

Kristen

23 Shannon, Tropical Eats September 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm

WOOOHOO congrats!!!
Shannon, Tropical Eats recently posted..Big News

24 B September 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Congrats on paying off your car! No matter how much it was, it’s a great feeling!
B recently posted..I am…

25 Cynthia (It All Changes) September 22, 2010 at 11:09 pm

That is such a grown up move. Congrats on paying it off and early even! Now it it all yours. Great decision to save the money too so you have a cushion.

26 emily September 22, 2010 at 11:11 pm

That pizza looks divine! I’ve wanted to try eggs on pizza for ages but I’m always afraid I’ll make a mess or overcook it.
emily recently posted..More of a Mountain than a Hump

27 Sana September 22, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Congrats! 3 years is so AWESOME!
Sana recently posted..Am I a Trail Mix Person

28 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 22, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Congrats on officially owning your own car (entirely)!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Focus- Focus- Focus!

29 Marina September 23, 2010 at 1:12 am

Congratulations!
It must be an awesome feeling to have the car payed off. Feels so grown up :))
Marina recently posted..sleepy eyes

30 Rachel @ Suburban Yogini September 23, 2010 at 5:42 am

I find five mins is perfect for egg on pizza – you still get a runny yolk that way πŸ™‚

Congrats on the car loan. It’s a good feeling.
Rachel @ Suburban Yogini recently posted..newbies

31 Dad September 23, 2010 at 6:21 am

If a apple a day keeps the doctor away , what does the chocolate peanut butter crunch due ?? just wondering

32 Bria September 23, 2010 at 6:30 am

Congrats Meghan!!! That’s awesome πŸ˜€

I bought my first car this summer after graduating from law school. The payments are hefty, but at 0% financing, I don’t mind chipping away at something that I love, and that is mine. Totally different from those pesky student loans!! :p

Pizza looks delish
Bria recently posted..Fun in Numbers

33 Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life September 23, 2010 at 6:45 am

That IS a big deal! Congrats πŸ™‚
Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life recently posted..There was a TUB in the bedroom

34 Whitney September 23, 2010 at 8:05 am

That has to be an amazing feeling. I can’t wait until I pay something off I feel like I’m not an adult yet because my parents are still helping me out with a lot.

I have never seen eggs on pizza BUT….
Last night I had to same exact pizza as you minus the eggs. We made homemade spinach, mushroom, and provolone pizza’s . Delicious. I also didn’t have a yummy peanut butter bar after. I was stuck with south beach chocolate brownie bar which are pretty amazing by the way.
Whitney recently posted..Just What I Need

35 Bridget C. Rudd September 23, 2010 at 8:09 am

Congrats on paying off the car!

The Japanese often put eggs (raw eggs even) on pizza. I’m not a fan personally, but hope that you enjoy it again later (non-rubbery).

36 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 23, 2010 at 8:39 am

Congrats on paying off your debt. That’s a real feat and an important one at that.

A real adult might save that extra money for retirement or put it into an emergency fund.
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..advanced yoga review

37 Tina September 23, 2010 at 9:02 am

That must feel so good. We have one more year until mine is paid off. That’s going to be so nice!
Tina recently posted..a day of birthdays

38 rebecca lustig September 23, 2010 at 9:15 am

wow, that is SO exciting. must feel like such a relief.

it’s almost the weekend, smile!
loooove,
bec
rebecca lustig recently posted..Love Your Body-

39 RunningOnCoffee September 23, 2010 at 9:54 am

Congrats on paying off your car! I know how exciting it is as I just made my final car payment myself last week. It was my first *new* car after finishing undergrad and getting a job. The loan was for $15k over 5 years, and I finished it up a couple months early. Now both mine and my husband’s cars are completely paid off. Looking forward to being able to save an extra $265/month! We have been working on building up our ‘house down payment fund’ while also trying to kill off my higher interest rate grad loans (only 2k left at 5.8%!)

Over the past few months, I started getting offers from my car dealership wanting me to trade in my current car toward a new one. No thank you, I like my car still and will enjoy a couple years of no car payments! πŸ™‚

40 Meghann September 23, 2010 at 1:49 pm

You can tell that dealer where to shove it. πŸ˜‰ I think the ‘house downpayment fund’ is way more important than a new car payment. Good luck! πŸ™‚

41 Sarah W. September 23, 2010 at 10:06 am

CONGRATS! Though, I must admit, 3 years for a $7,000 loan seems like a long time! But you did it! thats fantastic.

In answer to your question, YES, whatever car payments you WERE making, KEEP making those “payments” to yourself toward a “new car”. Then maybe when you’re ready for a new car, you’ll be able to pay CASH and have NO loan next time around!! You can do it!

42 Laura Georgina September 23, 2010 at 11:16 am

What a great feeling to pay off your car!! You should throw a party for it.

I was totally planning on peanut noodles for dinner tonight, but that egg pizza is going to throw a serious wrench into my plans….
Laura Georgina recently posted..Half-Marathoning It- Be Very Prepared

43 Kristina @ spabettie September 23, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I made egg pizza a few days ago πŸ™‚ SO yum! try broiling at the end for like, LESS THAN a minute… it’ll cook the eggs but not overdo.

congrats on car payoff! πŸ™‚ I loved that feeling!
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..gluten free sugar cookies

44 Lisa September 23, 2010 at 2:12 pm

What a nice feeling!! I am only a year into having a car payment. I’ve got a ways to go still. πŸ˜‰
Lisa recently posted..A Work in Progress

45 Cassie September 29, 2010 at 10:24 am

Woohoo! Congrats on paying off your car!