Okra Fries

by Meghann on September 21, 2010

I have something for you this evening that many of you have been requesting for months now.

Ladies and Gentlemen…. allow my to present you with a step-by-step official recipe for

Now, these aren’t difficult to make, but on average I receive 1-2 e-mails a week from readers asking for specifics, so I figured I would break down on here. Seeing as Okra season is almost over, I’m soo sorry for getting this up here do late. Better later than never, right?

Step 1: Preheat your oven to 375

Step 2: Grease up a baking sheet/ pan

Step 3: Spread okra on the greased pan

Step 4: Season okra with your favorite mix of spices. Tonight I went with generous shakes of chili powder, salt, and pepper

IMG_0064.jpg IMG_0068.JPG

Step 5: Bake for 10 minutes

Step 6: Give them a shake and bake for 10 more minutes

The finish product.

Serve with ketchup and enjoy!

A couple of things:

• Yes, the okra is slimy (I think I like it that way)
  • Yes, I eat the WHOLE okra – including the top
  • Yes, the okra is slightly fuzzy,
  • Yes, they are delicious :)

On the side I had had an experimental creation of sorts.

Baked polenta (pre-made log found in produce section) coated with marinara sauce, melted mozzarella, and topped with fresh basil all on a bed of spinach.

You really can’t go wrong with marinara sauce and cheese, but I was a little light on polenta. Next time I’ll have more polenta and less greens. 😉

Dad’s homemade bread to round the meal out.

I had popped a bag of popcorn for my snack this afternoon.

How important is the expiration date on a bag of popcorn anyways?

Tasted fine to me. 😉

I had a bowl of fresh figs for dessert this evening with some vanilla ice cream and granola.

I swear there’s fruit under there. 😉

I Wear Your Shirt

Have you heard of the website ?

It’s this GENUIS concept a guy came up back in 2008. Basically companies pay him to wear their shirt and he tweets, Facebooks, and YouTubes the heck out of it to build up buzz about himself and the company he’s representing. All in the power of social media baby. 😉

Being the small world that it is, I kind of know the guy, Jason. Sort of. We hung out a few times back in college when his friend dated my friend. Small world.

Anyways, the point of my story is… that concept of his? Well, apparently it’s grown so large, that he’s hiring four other social media savvy peeps who would like wear shirts for a living too. 365 days, 365 shirts? Count me in!

If you’re interested in wearing shirts for a living check out the open casting call. I’ve already started brainstorming my audition video. I’m thinking there has to be a way to work my marathon in a couple of weeks in there somehow. Hmmm….

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) September 21, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I LOVE okra….sliminess and all. Actually, the slime is the best part! I made okra fries for the first time the other day and they were soft. I was expecting crunch for some reason. I guess that’s what okra CHIPS are for :)
Allie (Live Laugh Eat) recently posted..Would You Rather…

2 Erin September 21, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I had okra for the first time recently at an Indian restaurant of all places and it. was. amazing. Mostly for the incredible spices they used but I’ve never noticed okra for sale up here!
Erin recently posted..Vegan burger &amp fries- take 2

3 Mary September 21, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Have you ever eaten Pickled Okra? My bf made some the other weekend. I wasn’t a huge fan although I do love pickles. I do enjoy Okra sauteed with some diced tomatoes over rice. :)

4 Shannon, Tropical Eats September 21, 2010 at 10:09 pm

i loveee! his daily vids and pictures are really entertaining. wish i would have thought of that business idea first!

can’t wait to make your okra fries. i was just thinking today how good fried okra is!
Shannon, Tropical Eats recently posted..Big News

5 Jason Sadler September 22, 2010 at 11:03 am

Well you don’t have to think of it first to be apart of it Shannon! Submit a video, we’d love to have you wear some t-shirts :)
Jason Sadler recently posted..MSC Cruises Inaugural Fall Foliage Cruise on the MSC Poesia

6 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 21, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I’ll be honest, okra kind of freaks me out. But if I ever get adventurous enough to try it, I’ll be sure to follow your instructions!

It’s crazy that you know that guy from! Smart concept, and makes you go, why didn’t I think of that?! Not sure I could be him though–I like not being a walking advertisement :)
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Wipe Out!

7 Jason Sadler September 22, 2010 at 11:04 am

Chelsea – You don’t have to walk, you can sit, swim, run or do jumping jacks. I’m up for it all!

8 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 22, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Ha, that is very true (and you would know!). Again, I love the concept (and I personally think you are a genius for thinking of it and making it happen)!! It just not something that is feasible or practicable for me (being a law student aspiring to have a job as a lawyer in 2011 and all). I’ll be sure to vote for my favorite t-shirt wearers though :)
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Enter My Blogging Time Machine!

9 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 21, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Okra fries are the BEST… OK okra in general. I think okra is one of those things that you either love or hate.. me, it’s love love love :)
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Pumpkin Crazy

10 Rachael September 21, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I’m a fan of all things okra – your “fry” version sounds great! I’m gonna echo the comment and above and suggest the pickled version…jars of them have been known to disappear in mere minutes around my house!

11 B September 22, 2010 at 12:06 am

Okra kind of scares me but I might have to try Okra fries sometime. I could always just cover them in ketchup if necessary, right?! :)
B recently posted..I am…

12 Lizz @ Leading the Good Life September 22, 2010 at 12:14 am

I love polenta! I made a lasagna using slices of tubed polenta instead of noodles and it was really good. Hmmmm….I should dig out that recipe!
Lizz @ Leading the Good Life recently posted..Making It Easy

13 Peggy September 22, 2010 at 1:50 am

I have to say, having never eaten okra, it kind of freaks me out. But my obsessive love for ketchup and anything one can dip into it might just persuade me to try those…

14 Elizabeth September 22, 2010 at 7:58 am

I must admit I’ve never tries okra and never even hear of polenta. What is that? I’ll have to be daring and try the okra fries some day.

And I love the shirt thing. That is just so cool!

15 amanda September 22, 2010 at 8:02 am

what orka taste like exactly??

i LOVEEEE the tshirt idea. how funny. and clever. i wish i was the genius to have come up with the idea.
amanda recently wanna be on top

16 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 22, 2010 at 8:48 am

Besides the fact that you eat them with ketchup, what makes these “fries” exactly?
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..advanced yoga review

17 Meghann September 22, 2010 at 9:39 am

I classify anything as fries if I bake them in the oven in a fry shape (i.e. long and slender) and I dip in a condiment.

18 Stephanie September 22, 2010 at 10:06 am

Anyone else notice how the first picture totally looks like a witch’s finger? Or am I the only crazy one here? 😉
Stephanie recently posted..Broccoli and Goat Cheese Soufflesplus a game of tag!!

19 Morgan September 22, 2010 at 10:10 am

To those who are afraid of okra-the sliminess tends to get to most people-heat 1 tbsp of canola oil in a warmed skillet, halve fresh okra at the last minute and sear okra for about 2-3 minutes on each side without disturbing the okra. The high heat and quick cooking takes the slime factor out. Sprinkle with salt!
Okra is also still in season until the first frost.
Okra may or may not be my middle name!

20 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) September 22, 2010 at 10:19 am

Thanks for showing us how to make them! I’ve been wanting to give these a try now – guess I better hurry before the okra is gone!

21 Amber@momsgottheruns September 22, 2010 at 10:39 am

So, I’ve always loved okra being from the south and all. However, the only way i’ve ever had it is fried. Recently, thanks to your posts about the okra fries, I decided to roast them up!!! Now, i’m slightly obsessed with them, and have been making them every night for a side at dinner! : )
Amber@momsgottheruns recently posted..Why is Whole Foods so EXPENSIVE!!!

22 Jason Sadler September 22, 2010 at 11:06 am

Thanks for the shout out Meghann! Can’t wait to see your video.

23 Clare September 22, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I tried Okra fries for the first time a few weeks ago…LOVED them! But again, it may be the ketchup. But so easy and a great way to eat a “Scary” veggie!
Clare recently posted..And So It Begins…

24 Monica C. September 22, 2010 at 7:24 pm

I should try the okra fries, I really should. I have not tried to eat okra in decades … but it’s so slimy. And I can’t believe that YOU EAT THE TOPS. *dies* :)
Monica C. recently posted..Day 03 – Your Parents

25 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 22, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I wish I liked okra. I really can’t get over the slimy texture.

26 Halley (Blunder Construction) September 23, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I need these. I want these. I need and want these! It’s hard to find fresh okra though. Must. Persevere. Mmmmm.