A Race Plan

by Meghann on September 20, 2010

Catching up on weekend posts?

I’m a tad bit obsessed with that photo and am considering having it framed and mounted. 😉

How was your weekend? Run a race? Chilled at home? Celebrated something special?

Do share!

I gave my legs a little taste of speed by hitting the treadmill early this morning for a round of fartleks. In the three week (!!) countdown to Chicago I plan to mix in a good amount of speedwork and steady longish runs to keep myself in shape. Nothing too long and nothing too hard, but just enough to remind my body what this marathon will be all about.

Speaking of training…

This weekend will mark my third year in a row running the Miracle Miles 15k (see 2008 recap and 2009 recap). I love this race and am looking forward to re-visiting the awesome course.

The plan is to treat this race as a race-pace long run. Right now my goal is to maintain a sub-9:00 minute pace in Chicago, so I hope to hold the same for Miracle Miles. My previous PR is 1:21:05 from 2009, which translates to an 8:41 per mile pace. If I finish anywhere around there I will be one happy girl. 🙂

Luckily I’ll have my Sister there to push me along.

Nothing like a little family competition to make you faster and stronger, right? It’s on Kelly!

Post- fartlek breakfast

IMG_9931

• 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crunch
  • 1/2 cup Greenwise Oat Flakes
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Puffs
  • 1/2 Peach
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Peanut Butter

IMG_9925

This weekend Kelly admitted she was a little burnt out on peanut butter. Well, I’ve been a little burnt out on almond butter (hence the larger quantities of pb lately).

IMG_9935

Are you feeling burnt out on anything lately?

1 allison @ thesundayflog September 20, 2010 at 10:11 am

i used to LOVE crazy richard’s crunchy PB, and now just thinking of the stuff makes me want to gag. ugh shudders
allison @ thesundayflog recently posted..Voting Starts NOW!

2 skinnyrunner September 20, 2010 at 10:13 am

im pretty jealous of your whole weekend… 20 milers, massages, and fabulous posing in pictures?! yep, totally jealous.

3 Sarah September 20, 2010 at 10:16 am

On Saturday I ran my first half marathon! Shortly afterwards I thought “never again”, but now I’m this close to registering for another one in October, hehehe…

4 Tami September 20, 2010 at 10:20 am

my second marathon is in 2 weeks and I am so burnt out…from running, of the taste of gatorade, sticky granola bars or chews that i eat while running, of foam rolling, of waking up early….i am feeling so down about the marathon…tapering is difficult!
Tami recently posted..I need a sponor

5 Meghann September 20, 2010 at 10:22 am

Also burnt out on Gatorade!

6 Caitlin (EatFeats) September 20, 2010 at 10:20 am

Everything. As far as good goes, I need to start making dinners that are not burritos!
Caitlin (EatFeats) recently posted..The Best Bread Ever in the History of History

7 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 20, 2010 at 10:40 am

I just had my first taste of almond butter today in MONTHS! I’ve been pb crazy lately!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Pumpkin Crazy

8 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 20, 2010 at 10:47 am

I ran my first race ever this weekend and it was glorious! I actually signed up for another already…

Which brings me to the fact that I love reading about how you progressed with your running. It’s super motivating for me and I can only hope that one day, I’ll be running races as fast as you 🙂

9 Kelly September 20, 2010 at 11:01 am

That is a great picture of you and Derek, get engaged already, geeeesh! Haha.
Kelly recently posted..Wedding Number 3

10 Kelly September 20, 2010 at 1:24 pm

haha!
Kelly recently posted..Chicago Marathon Training- 20 Hard Miles

11 Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! September 20, 2010 at 11:11 am

I’m pretty burnt out on a particular dinner I’ve been enjoying A LOT recently–cannelini beans + spinach + sweet potato + curry powder. Good luck in the 15k this weekend–it sounds like a great race! I enjoyed a wonderful 8-miler yesterday in preparation for my half marathon in November. Happy Monday! 🙂

12 Michelle Arnold September 20, 2010 at 11:24 am

I am really feeling burnt out on yogurt. I don’t know why, but I can’t stomach it lately.

13 Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. September 20, 2010 at 11:24 am

I was feeling burnt out on running after my May race…but since that phase passed, I haven’t been able to get my rhythm/motivation back!
Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..oh what a week

14 kristy @ kristyruns.com September 20, 2010 at 11:31 am

I can’t believe Chicago is only 3 weeks away!!! I still have 6 weeks til the Spinx Marathon!

I’m not really burned out on anything. What can I say? I’m a creature of habit. 😉
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..September Sun

15 Nic September 20, 2010 at 11:32 am

I’m sorta burnt out on running. I think training for races will do that too you though. I know it won’t last long as it’s such a good release!
Your breakfast on the other hand… I think I could eat that every morning! It looks wonderful!
Nic recently posted..New Moves Monday- Plie Squats With Upright Row

16 Katie September 20, 2010 at 11:38 am

It is a fantastic picture, and I’d totally have that framed.

I’m kind of a photography addict. My boyfriend even knows about my guilty pleasure: checking out wedding / engagement photography blogs. (I told him he’s got nothing to worry about it, I like the aesthetics of the pics).

For example, check out greenweddingshoes.com

17 Ellie September 20, 2010 at 12:02 pm

GOod luck! I just did my first 15K. It’s a nice distance. I’m sure you can finish close to 1:21
Ellie recently posted..cram chem in the corner

18 Corey September 20, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Meghann,
That photo of you and Derek is SO ADORABLE!!! You look gorgeous and he looks very handsome . . .I love the dramatic but still playful pose:). Definitely needs to be framed!!

19 Marina September 20, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I spent this weekend cleaning my apartment that was empty during the summer. my god, so much dust…
I’m still jealous at your massage 😀
Good luck with the new week!
Marina recently posted..scrub&clean

20 breakingsilence @ Freshman -15 September 20, 2010 at 12:45 pm

That first picture…I LOVE IT. You should definitely frame it. 🙂

21 Biz September 20, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I am now officially caught up in the life of Meghann! 😀

Love that picture – definitely frame it!

And I too have learned to order what a place is known for. I once ordered lasagne in an Irish pub. It was awful, what was I thinking??!!
Biz recently posted..Bizzy Weekend!

22 Brenna September 20, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Your peaches looks delish! In pa peaches are already dunzo 🙁
Brenna recently posted..geaux tigers!

23 Kelly September 20, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Meghann you have made me a stronger, faster, longer distance runner than I EVER thought I could be! Partly due to me always looking up to my big sister (which I have done since I can remember) and partly because I love me some good competition! 🙂 Bring it on!

24 Taylor September 20, 2010 at 1:42 pm

That is such a fabulous picture, get it framed asap. 🙂

25 Taylor September 20, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Oh and I went to a pumpkin festival this weekend! I live about ten-fifteen minutes away from the Libby’s factory where like 80% of all canned pumpkin comes from. 🙂 It’s wonderful.

26 Elizabeth September 20, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I am constantly burnt out on chicken breasts. Why does everyone think that is the be all and end all in eating healthy? I practically die when some one suggests I eat that to lose weight.
Elizabeth recently posted..Ideal Friday Night

27 Lisa September 20, 2010 at 1:57 pm

That’s cool that you have a sister to run races with! It’s nice having someone close at your side for events like that!
Lisa recently posted..A Work in Progress

28 Irina September 20, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Meghann, are you planning to run with a pace team in Chicago to help you meet your time goal? I’m running Chicago as well and I’m planning to do so but I’m not sure how I feel about someone else setting the pace. What are your thoughts?

29 Meghann September 21, 2010 at 8:17 am

I wasn’t planning on running with a pace team. I think they’re great for people who want to pace, but I feel too constricted running with a group on race day.

30 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) September 20, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Love the photo! I would frame it if I were you! I got burnt out on peanut butter a while back, so have been eating more almond butter.
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Chocolate Chip Cookie Contest

31 the linz September 20, 2010 at 4:15 pm

You should definitely frame that pic its gorgeous! I ran in my first mud run this weekend it was awesome!

32 Stacy September 20, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I love that pic of you and Derek! And is that a pop of red color in your shoes? I am feeling pretty burnt out on my job. The usual fall slump. There is the beautiful fall weather and school that gets me through it though 🙂 It looks like you are well prepared for the Chicago marathon. I hope the weather holds up for you! 🙂

33 Catie September 20, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I’m getting sick of all of the same restaurants in my area! I need to branch out and find new places!

34 Amy @ Amy Starts to Run September 20, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Ack! I’m burnt out on a lot things! I think its due to too much routine, stress and wedding plans getting closer and closer. I’m trying to change things up to get out of my burnt out rut!
Amy @ Amy Starts to Run recently posted..Burnt Out!

35 rebecca lustig September 20, 2010 at 8:04 pm

that picture reminds me of a postcard. frame it– with no shame.

have a great night!
bec xo
rebecca lustig recently posted..Love Your Body-

36 Rachel Wilkerson September 21, 2010 at 8:50 am

Re: that adorable picture. I work for a photographer and one of the ways we do photos is as gallery wraps, where the picture is printed directly on canvas so you can hang it on the wall. So I just discovered that you can get them done through Costco for really cheap (like, the largest one is $100). I’m thinking about getting a few smaller ones done for my bedroom wall — you should check it out as an alternative to framing! It looks really modern and cool!
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..Sunday Dinner- Going Deep

37 Macey September 21, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Hey girl! I love all your posts, and although I rarely comment, I blog “stalk” you everyday 🙂
I just wanted to extend a gift to you. I am a professional photographer in Idaho, and I love the shot of you and Derek in front of the fountain, but if you’re going to go to the expense of having it printed and mounted, you need it to be a full-on “WOW” piece. I would love to edit the photo for you if you’re interested. All I would need you to do is e-mail me the original file and I’ll e-mail it back asap. You can check out my work at my website: http://www.motormouthstudio.com or on my facebook: http://www.facebook.com/motormouthstudios.
Let me know if you’re interested 🙂