more ยป" />

Fries Belong in the Sandwich

by Meghann on September 19, 2010

In Derek’s ever growing desire to visit every Man V. Food restaurant out there (see previous visits to Acme Oyster House, Ike’s, and Katz) he begged that we make a pit stop at Primati Bros for lunch on the way home this afternoon.

Originally a Pittsburgh icon, Primanti Bros has a handful of locations in the Ft. Lauderdale area (we visited the North Ft. Lauderdale Beach location). The sandwich shoppe is famous for stuffed sandwiches, which are served with the fries and coleslaw in the sandwich instead of on the side. The original Pittsburgh location was featured on the Pittsburg edition of Man v. Food a season or two ago. Derek made sure to re-watched via Netflix streaming on the iPhone4 by the pool yesterday. ๐Ÿ™‚

Inside Primati Bros resembles a run down greasy restaurant with only a handful of tables and bar seats. You would never have known this place had locations all over the U.S. or that each location had an intense cult following. Instead, it reminded me of a one of a kind hole in the wall that you would only visit because friends really recommended it.

Of course, Derek fell in love immediately.

I debated ordering a salad, but I learned a long time ago that if you go to a restaurant that is famous for one thing and order something completely different, then you are going to be extremely disappointed. Life is too short for regrets.

The Ham and Egg Sandwich sounded much more appealing than ‘Garden Salad’ anyways.

Inside shot.

Putting fries and coleslaw on a sandwich? Genius!

The coleslaw was crisp and fresh having only been dressed in a light vinaigrette rather than a heavy mayo. The fries were tender and greasy allowing for easy bites. The egg was well done and the ham was salty. Every delicious bite came together between two slices of fresh, soft italian bread.

To put it simply, this sandwich was epic. ๐Ÿ™‚

For dessert a Reeses cup courtesy of Kelly.

Thanks Roo! ๐Ÿ™‚

The drive home was quick and uneventful. However, I need to remember to take away someone’s photo tweeting abilities while I’m helplessly passed out in the seat next to them. Ahem Not cool Derek, not cool. ๐Ÿ˜›

Look who were waiting patiently for us when we reached my parent’s house. ๐Ÿ™‚

Did I mention my parents were watching both of Kelly’s dogs, Maddie, and Scooby this weekend? That’s four crazy puppies running around their house!

I should also mention I have the best parents in the world and they love their Grandpups to pieces. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_9881.JPGIMG_9884.JPG

My Dad greeted us with a kitchen full of food for dinner.

He was quite excited about this new recipe he invented the other week for Pork Loin Parmesan.

Basically, he lightly fried the tender pork loin chops in some olive oil before layering the chops with fresh tomatoes, marinara sauce, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella. The layers were then baked and served hot and bubbly.

I had a bite and it was fabulous. My Dad really knows how to go all out in the kitchen when you give him a reason to prepare a big meal. Unfortunately I was still petty full from lunch and not looking for a heavy meal for dinner.

While all the boy feasted – and trust me they feasted! – on the pork, I made a light dinner of pasta bow ties, grilled veggies, and feta cheese.

I squeezed some fresh lemon juice on top of my creation and the acidity and zest of the lemon really brought everything together. It was the perfect meal to end the weekend with. ๐Ÿ™‚

When we walked in the door my Dad immediately announced that he had made dessert specifically for Derek. A nice large batch of banana pudding.

ick.

Banana Pudding may be a favorite of my Dad’s, but growing up no one else would touch it. I can’t eat bananas and none of my other siblings are a fan of the stinky fruit. However, Derek loves bananas and when he told my Dad he loves pudding I’m pretty sure my Dad began immediately plotting when he could make a batch from scratch.

He went all out and all the boys more than appreciated my Dad’s extra effort in the kitchen.

I may not eat banana pudding, but I do share some love for vanilla wafers and whip cream.

Now that’s more my idea of a good dessert. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Both Maddie and Derek are snoring around me. I think that’s my cue it’s time for bed.

Good Night! ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Melissa September 19, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Of course fries belong in the sandwich! Coleslaw is also a sandwich staple. Us Pittsburghers know how to eat. Have you tried chips on your sandwich yet? Kettle cooked chips are great, and dipping you grilled cheese into a big dollop of Heinz ketchup is also a tradition. Glad to see Pittsburgh is leaving its mark on other places in the US!
Melissa recently posted..Apples for Breakfast

2 Lindsay September 19, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Yay! I’m so glad you liked the Primanti’s sandwich! We love them here in Pittsburgh!
Lindsay recently posted..PodCamp Day 2 โ€“ The Final Frontier

3 Maissa (Run, Rant, Realize) September 19, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I want your dad to come and cook for me. I love banana pudding (banana cream pie is a favorite), so I would have definitely dug into that pudding.

Sounds like you guys had a wonderful weekend!

And those sandwiches look EPIC. There is not other word really. Also if you ever go somewhere that offers to add fries to your shwarma or falafel – DO IT. It’s absolute genius.

4 Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well September 19, 2010 at 9:45 pm

So want to try Primanti’s! It’s on my to-eat list. Derek’s face of pure joy makes me really want one now.

It’s so funny that little Maddie hangs out with all those big dogs! I’m sure all her personality helps out? ๐Ÿ™‚
Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well recently posted..Pizza and Pumpkins

5 Sana September 19, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I am so happy you were able to get revenge back on Derek!!!
Sana recently posted..Rock Garden

6 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 19, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Go big or go home! You’re right, a garden salad does NOT even compete with that sandwich!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Pumpkin Crazy

7 Chelsea September 19, 2010 at 9:59 pm

I’ve seen Primani Bros. on a few different programs on the tube; looks like it was the right place to go!

8 Heather September 19, 2010 at 10:01 pm

How much of the sandwich did you eat? I’m just curious!

9 Meghann September 19, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I ate about 3/4 of it and then Derek finished the rest.

10 Becca September 19, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Primanti’s IS epic! I drove past a Primanti’s yesterday and was thinking about how long it’s been since I’ve been there…and now I really want to go (the turkey is my fave)!

Glad you enjoyed it…it’s alway nice to see bits of Pittsburgh across the country!

11 Caitlin (EatFeats) September 19, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Derek is my inspiration! Please tell him that I admire his dedication to Man Vs. Food. I loooove that show, but I’ve never visited any of the restaurants, despite living IN the Bay Area. Ike’s and the SF Creamery are now on the TOP of my to-do list. Thanks, Derek!!!
Caitlin (EatFeats) recently posted..The Best Bread Ever in the History of History

12 Susan @ Mom Swim Bike Run September 19, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Awwww Primanti Brothers how I miss thee… just moved from Pittsburgh (home) and miss it dearly. Glad you enjoyed a Pittsburgh tradition.

13 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] September 19, 2010 at 11:23 pm

I have the same top as your sis, but I think she may look cuter in it ๐Ÿ˜‰

What a wonderful week — envious!
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..Beet Dead

14 Kathryn September 20, 2010 at 12:41 am

My fiance is from Pittsburgh and LOVES Primanti Bros. but I am literally scared of having to eat that much food on a sandwhich. I admire you for tackling that sandwhich!

15 maria @ Chasing the Now September 20, 2010 at 1:05 am

I can’t believe you and your siblings don’t like banana pudding. I used to BEG my mom to make it for me! YUM!
maria @ Chasing the Now recently posted..Confessions- Food and Me

16 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 20, 2010 at 2:09 am

oh my – that is one awesome looking sandwich!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Fun in the sun

17 Lauren September 20, 2010 at 6:57 am

Looks like you all had a wonderful weekend getaway! ๐Ÿ™‚ I love that your dad made an entire meal devoted to Derek! ๐Ÿ™‚ My dad does the same thing for my hubby. Whatever happened to “Daddy’s Little Girl?” LoL

Oh, I use to love Vanilla Waffers soaked in milk. This was my favorite dessert as a kid. ๐Ÿ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Fall Teasers

18 Julianne September 20, 2010 at 7:19 am

Glad you enjoyed your taste of Pittsburgh! I haven’t had a Primati Bros’ sandwich in a while – they are amazingly good!

19 Amy B @ Second City Randomness September 20, 2010 at 7:54 am

I bet Derek would like Lucky’s here in Chicago! If he comes with you for the marathon, you should go! Man vs. Food went there to compete in Lucky’s challenge, which was 3 huge stuffed sandwiches (with the fries in the sandwich).
Amy B @ Second City Randomness recently posted..The Chicago Bloggers Do Brunch

20 Kathleen @ More Than Easy Mac September 20, 2010 at 8:28 am

Yes, Primanti Brothers is definitely a Pittsburgh staple, but when you try to explain it to other people, they just look at you kind of funny. I mean, it doesn’t sound that great to pile coleslaw and fries onto a sandwich, but somehow it works!
Kathleen @ More Than Easy Mac recently posted..Where Did The Weekend Go

21 megan @ whatmegansmaking September 20, 2010 at 9:07 am

I grew up in Pittsburgh, but I’m not actually a fan of Primanti’s. I prefer my fries on the side – or on my salad…now that’s a pittsburgh thing ๐Ÿ™‚
megan @ whatmegansmaking recently posted..Chai Latte

22 Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life September 20, 2010 at 9:17 am

I never realized you don’t like bananas?! Look’s like a great weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

23 Marg September 20, 2010 at 10:29 am

Last time I went to the ‘burgh my boyfriend (from the area) took me there twice! First time what I ordered was ok, the second time I remember liking it a lot more.

24 Allison September 20, 2010 at 11:52 am

We have three Man vs. Food restaurants in Sarasota: Old Salty Dog, Yoder’s, and Munchies 420. Derek should come on down!
Allison recently posted..The Good Life

25 Anna September 20, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Your dad is so adorable! He looks and sounds like he is a great father! =)

26 Liz @ Blog is the New Black September 20, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Your dad’s dish looks great!

27 Whitney September 20, 2010 at 9:44 pm

wow I have not seen a blog of great eats like this in awhile.

That sandwich looks as epic as you said it taste so I know you it is something I would dream about after eating haha.

Although the pasta dish is simple it sounds awesome… good choice of ingredients to combine. I miss pasta ๐Ÿ™‚
Whitney recently posted..Sporting Miles

28 Erin September 21, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Yay Primanti’s!

Non-Pittsburghers are always sort of grossed out when I tell them about Primanti’s sandwiches, but you totally have to try them to know how good they are. ๐Ÿ™‚