more ยป" />

Fancy Night

by Meghann on September 19, 2010

Cue the fireworks…

Because wouldn’t fireworks have totally made that photo? Love. :)

When I travel I like to dedicate at least one night of my vacation as ‘fancy night’ where I get a chance to dress up and go all out.

Last night was our ‘fancy night.’

IMG_9688.jpg

Thanks to the GIrlfriend Getaway package we had two hundred dollars worth of gift certificates to spend at the Westin Diplomat’s on property restaurant Aizia for dinner one night during our stay.

Aizia is a very chic restaurant that specialize in sushi and various other Asian influenced cuisine. It was a great restaurant with beautiful decor and a stunning view, but we were a little surprised by all of the empty tables at the height of the dinner rush hour.

We were seated in a cozy, secluded booth that had comfy seats and plenty of room to stretch our legs and bodies.

IMG_9701.JPG IMG_9711.JPG

Our plan? To stretch the gift certificate as far as possible.

Starting with a moderately priced bottle of cab.

Cheers.

Between the four of us our table went through two bottles of wine during the evening. I think in total I had about 3 glasses? Good thing our hotel was within walking distance of the restaurant. ;)

We began with a vegetable spring roll for the table.

I had one piece and then a bite of another. I enjoyed the sweet dipping sauce and the fresh, crisp vegetables in every bite.

For my main entree I ordered the cedar plank salmon with stir fried vegetables served on a flaming cedar plank (!)

The salmon was just ok. I believe if you are going to spend so much money on a dish then you deserve to have pretty high expectations for that meal and the salmon did not meet those expectation. It was under seasoned and was missing that certain ‘somethin, somethin’ that would push it over the top.

Derek and Kelly both ordered the pad thai and I was slightly jealous of their meals. They were both incredibly flavorful and delicious. I’ve been suffering from order envy lately. It’s a nasty, sad thing to suffer from. ;)

For dessert each couple ordered the chocolate lava cake with green tea ice cream.

After two meals out in a row of wishing I had ordered the chocolate dessert, I finally earned the ‘know-how’ to order it myself. The cake was rich and oozed chocolate ganache. There was not a crumb left of that plate when Derek and I were done. ;)

Despite the multiple glasses of wine – and rum for Derek -we both had an uneasy night of sleep. We each kept waking up periodically during the night and just could not seem to get comfortable in our bed. Needless to say, we were both wide awake long before the ‘sleep in’ time we had given ourselves. :(

Oh well.

At least this meant we had the beach all to ourselves this morning.

I’m a goof.

IMG_9809.JPG IMG_9811.JPG

IMG_9812.JPG IMG_9813.JPG

One day I’ll hit the hand stand. ;)

For breakfast Derek and I hit the hotel cafe and spent wayyy too much on pancakes.

Were they worth $14? Probably not, but I really, really wanted pancakes! :)

A late check out gave us time for one last lay out by the pool.

The Diplomat’s pool deck has a double layer effect with an infinity style pool across the top and a much larger on the bottom. We discovered that if you walked underneath the bottom layer that you had a clear view into the top.

DSCF6731.JPG

This discovery led to endless hours of entertainment on our part. ;)

DSCF6725.JPG

DSCF6732.JPG

DSCF6734.JPG

DSCF6737.JPG

We kept waiting for some unexpecting person to walk across the stop and pick a wedgie or other embarrassing gesture, but had no such luck. Rats. ;)

Eventually our tummies began to rumble for food and it was time to leave our weekend home away from home.

Adios Westin Diplomat! It’s been fun!

The Westin Diplomat was a beautiful hotel and at just a 4 hour drive south, it was the perfect getaway for a weekend vacation for all four of us.

Here’s my mini review of my experience…

Hotel Loves

• Right on the beach
  • Awesome views from any room
  • Friendly staff
  • Free cold water bottle every time you walk inside
  • Great pool
  • Comfy cushioned pool chairs
  • Lovely golf course and spa
  • Gorgeous rooms
  • In-room mini refrigerator
  • Fast elevators (I swear we never had to wait!)

Hotel Not-so-loves

• Overall location. Loved that it was on the beach, did not love that any restaurant options – besides the ones on property – were a drive away instead of within walking distance
  • Prices at hotel restaurants

I want to thank the wonderful people at VisitFlorida.com for sponsoring the Chevy Girlfriend Getaway contest and for all of the readers who took the time to vote for me as your favorite Chevy Girl on the Go during the promotion last May. Seriously, you guys rock!! :)

1 Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 19, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Seems like you made the most of the voucher – that food all sounds delicious! Especially the chocolate dessert..I could use some of that right now :D
I LOVE that first picture too – so romantic!

2 alison September 19, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I’m glad you had a nice weekend. I especially enjoyed your pictures in this post.

3 Heather September 19, 2010 at 6:54 pm

love the first photo, too cute glad you had a good trip, the hotel looks so pretty

4 Kelly September 19, 2010 at 6:54 pm

That pool looks awesome! The bf and I are starting to save so we can go away on a vacation together. Can’t wait!

5 Ash Bear September 19, 2010 at 7:27 pm

It looks like you all had a blast. It’s so nice that you and Kelly are best friends and your boyfriends get a long well. :)

6 Katie September 19, 2010 at 7:27 pm

My fiance and I hve stayed there before, it was a beutiful hotel! I agree though, it was ashame that more stuff was not within walking, we had to drive , didnt like that!

LOVE the romantic pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! September 19, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Thanks for the great review of your weekend–it looks like you guys had a blast! Sorry the salmon didn’t taste so yummy…it sure looked cool on that flaming cedar plank! I hope you have a safe drive back home and a great week. :)

8 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com September 19, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Awwww! That first kissy photo is adorable! Y’all are so cute. :)

Man-o-man, looks like a great place and a great weekend! That double layer pool thing is awesome.

9 Sana September 19, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Bahahahahahah I would have had sooo much fun taking pics of silly people under the water!

10 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) September 19, 2010 at 7:51 pm

This is my FAVORITE post of yours. Okay, there are a lot but I love all these photos–esp the pool ones. Looks like you had a relaxing and well-deserved getaway.

11 Caitlin (EatFeats) September 19, 2010 at 7:58 pm

What a unique pool! Hours of entertainment.

12 Jessica September 19, 2010 at 8:24 pm

you and Derek look so in love in those pictures! looks like a great mini vacay :)

13 Elizabeth September 19, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Looks like oyu had a great mini-vaca. The spring roll looks the best out of all those foods even though I’d eat it all :-) Glad you had a good time in Fort Lauderdale, my home town, but what’s your favorite place to travel to for a quick weekend getaway?

14 Evan Thomas September 19, 2010 at 8:46 pm

That photo of you and Derek is perfect

15 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 19, 2010 at 8:59 pm

What a wonderful day in the sun!

16 Heather @ Side of Sneakers September 19, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Aww that fountain picture rocks!! Definitely a keeper ;) Looks like a fabulous getaway!

17 Lisa September 19, 2010 at 9:10 pm

That beach looks soooo wonderful! I am in desperate need of a white sandy beach!

18 Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well September 19, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Looks like you had an awesome weekend getaway — the pictures are gorgeous. LOVE that picture of you and Derek. Oh, and your shoes are to die for!

19 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 19, 2010 at 9:37 pm

GORGEOUS pictures!!!

20 Paige (Running Around Normal) September 19, 2010 at 9:40 pm

What a fun night!! You look gorgeous and you and Derek are such a cute couple :D

21 Melissa @ TryingToHeal September 19, 2010 at 9:50 pm

ah, what a great weekend!!! i’m certainly jealous of it all!

22 christina cadden September 19, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Looks like a blast!

23 Heather September 20, 2010 at 1:26 am

Love that pic of you and Derek, too cute!

24 Sarah for Real September 20, 2010 at 11:46 am

I love the title of this post, haha. Something I would totally do myself :)

That’s so weird how the restaurant was empty. Do you think it’s because it’s not peak tourist season anymore? That always gives me the creeps when you expect a place to be busy and they’re not.

Lately I sleep terribly when I drink more than one alcoholic beverage. I think it technically keeps you from dipping into that deep REM sleep or something. I’d much rather spend time on the beach though.

25 Brittney September 20, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Love that picture of you and Derek kissing in front of the fountain!