All Long Runs Should End in Massages

It’s taper time! πŸ˜‰

Woo hoo!

The facts:

• Running 20 miles is hard
  • Running 20 miles with a friend/ sister is slightly less hard
  • Running 20 miles in a new city is always fun πŸ™‚

I was up at 5:30 this morning more than less ready to take on the day. Having to get out of a really comfy bed after staying up way past my bedtime on vacation isn’t as fun as you’d think it is.

Still, I was a nice girlfriend and had all my stuff ready to go in that bathroom as to not wake my sleeping better half.

IMAG0174.jpg

Clif Bar Fuel

I met Kelly in lobby of our hotel and took off from there.

We didn’t really have a plan per se. Neither of us knew the area very well and it was too dark the night before to mentally put a route together. So, we decided to just run and see where A1A took us.

We started by taking a right out of our hotel, but that came to a dead end about 5 miles out. Not sure what to do we decided to run the 5 miles back to the hotel, run 5 miles past on the other side, turn around from there and be done. A plan was thus developed.

The more I thought about it the more I liked the idea of our new plan. This way the run was split in quarters. Having to run 15 more miles sounded daunting, but having to run 5 miles three more times didn’t seem so bad.

The run itself was pretty uneventful for the first half. The sun was taking its sweet time rising over the horizon – leaving us with a cool breeze and lots of shade. Oddly enough this started as probably one of my coolest runs to date temp wise.

We hit our hotel just before 10 miles and began our countdown to our next 5 mile turn around point. The second half was a bit more scenic and lively than the first. We ran by expensive homes, 5 star hotels, and even a few gas stations and drugstores that were missing on our first half.

The sun was starting to rise and it was beginning to get HOT! Kelly and I were feeling it, but pushing through.

Fun fact: In those 5 miles we ran from Broward County into Miami Dade County!

At 15 miles we stopped and had some Gu Chomps then a couple of miles after that we hit a Walgreens and split a Gatorade. The mix of the Gatorade and Gu Chomps gave me a second life that pushed me through the final miles. I’ve come to appreciate Gatorade as a long run life saver. πŸ™‚

3 miles… 2 miles… 1 mile… done.

We did it!

At the end there were a few tears and some mantras being chanted (Kelly even started singing a couple of Eminem songs), but we did it! And we did it together. πŸ™‚

I can’t believe that was my SECOND 20 miler in less than a month. This is the first training cycle where I’ve done more than one 20 miler and I have to say I’m still not sure how prepared I feel. The good news is I ended the run still feeling like I had something to give and I know if I can run in this Florida sun, then I can run in anything.

Next week starts taper time. The next time I’ll be running anything close to 20 milers it will be in Chicago. Yikes!

After a few teary eyed hugs and a quick change Kelly and I enjoyed breakfast with a view.

On the menu: one Currant Scone from our hometown bakery (Thanks Kelly!) covered in Honey Peanut Butter, and one juicy Peach.

Breakfast was quick. We had massage appointments to get to!

The Wesitn Diplomat Spa – which isn’t located on the resort’s beach property – was a 5 minute shuttle ride away.

I <3 spas that provide big, fluffy robes. πŸ™‚

IMG_9635.jpg

DSCN9720.JPG

As part of the Girlfriend Getaway package Kelly and I were both treated to 60 minute swedish massages.

DSCN9722.JPG

Let me start off by saying that from now on I will be ending every single one of my 20 mile runs with a massage – it was freaking fantastic!

I informed my masseuse of my tight legs during our brief consultation before hand and she did a fabulous job concentrating on those tight spots. She worked my calves, got my hamstrings, and even worked my IT band.

I left that room feeling like I was walking on air.

20 mile run? What 20 mile run?

awww….. I need more massages in my life. πŸ˜‰

Look who we ran in to on our way out of the spa.

Anthony and Derek had been out on the greens since 8:00am this morning and were feeling pretty beat themselves.

Derek was uber impressed by the quality of the golf course and was very thankful to have the opportunity to play it. This was Anthony’s first time playing a full 18 hole course and I believe he was pretty impressed too. πŸ™‚

We dropped on their clubs and headed to a cute little gourmet deli my Dad begged had begged us to go to called Epicure for lunch.

IMG_9640.jpg

Kelly and I got a mish mash of items to share for our meal.

My plate included 1/2 a twice baked potato, a green bean medely and 1/2 a salt stick.

IMG_9644.jpg

I LOVE salt sticks. They’re really just really salty bread coated with salt and carraway seeds, but there’s something about them that draws me in.

I also had my fair share of the Summer Squash Potato Leek Soup.

And a Shipyard Pumpkin Beer!

IMG_9647.jpg IMG_9653.JPG

Check out what they were giving away as free samples

Mini cupcakes! I had one while ordering my food and one for dessert. πŸ˜‰

The rest of my afternoon looked like this

DSCF6686.JPG

DSCF6691.JPG DSCF6682.JPG

DSCF6689.JPG

With a little bit of this

DSCF6696.JPG

DSCF6699.JPG DSCF6700.JPG

DSCF6698.JPG

Blogging fuel

I’m going to squeeze in a quick nap before our dinner reservations.

Have a great Saturday!

1 Kristina @ spabettie September 18, 2010 at 6:49 pm

looks like a fun time… we’re going on vacation soon and this just got me super excited for it… we booked the spa package πŸ™‚

and YES… a therapeutic massage after a long run is essential ! πŸ™‚ I would run spa specials after every big race in Portland for our runner patients πŸ™‚
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..HALLOWEENIE !

2 Anna @ Doing Good & Living Well September 18, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Oh my goodness — your day looks like it was so amazing so far! Congrats on the 20miler and three cheers for a post run massage!

I can’t get over the view from your balcony and all your eats just made me hungry again. Have fun tonight!

3 Elizabeth September 18, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Awesome job on the run and even more awesome on the relaxation choices. Massages are wonderful at any time, but I can’t imagine how wonderful it must feel after such a long run.
Elizabeth recently posted..Ideal Friday Night

4 Brie @ Brie Fit September 18, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I’m so jealous! I did my 20 miler for Chicago today, too, but did not end it with a massage. I wish I could have, though!

5 Heather September 18, 2010 at 7:07 pm

what a beautiful place to run, and my husband and I have talked about a massage after a long run or a marathon, aahh

6 Matt September 18, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Massages are EPIC. I get one every few weeks πŸ˜‰
Matt recently posted..Tofu Fajitas

7 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com September 18, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Whoa, there! A massage after a run? This is a fantastic idea. I almost want to go ahead and schedule one for after my planned 20 miler in a few weeks for motivation. πŸ™‚ Watch out, I just might!

8 Caitlin (EatFeats) September 18, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I think most things should end with a massage, and with some quality time at a warm beach! Looks like a fab day.
Caitlin (EatFeats) recently posted..The Best Bread Ever in the History of History

9 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) September 18, 2010 at 9:41 pm

I had a massage after my long run today; it was glorious!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..In MyΒ Element

10 Rachael September 18, 2010 at 10:13 pm

What a day -looks like you’ve mastered the fine art of relaxation! All runners need more massages in their lives, if you ask me!
Yum on the salt stick – I ate a ton of them in Germany, and to this day, I get the most intense salt cravings (I’ve considered a hamster-style salt lick)….which I could still eat the stuff!
Rachael recently posted..They Call Me the Wanderer- Project Food Blog from a Nomadic Perspective

11 Hollie September 19, 2010 at 12:37 am

I agree. There is nothing that feels better after a nice long run than a massage. Although I have never done 20 miles, I know what you mean about gatorade saving you during your long runs. I feel so much better about fifteen minutes after having that or powerade on my longer runs. It’s like I can feel the point it directly hits my blood stream.

12 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 19, 2010 at 12:48 am

Woah, you sure know how to pack a lot of fun things into one day! I cannot even begin to imagine what 20 miles feels like. I’m nervous just thinking about it πŸ™‚ Congrats!

13 Jaclyn September 19, 2010 at 2:09 am

What a gorgeous view !! Looks like you guys are having tons of fun, and good eats–fun last-minute getaway vacation, complete with massages and spa treatments… amazing!

I’ve never had a salt lick before, now I may need to!
Jaclyn recently posted..Back- Bites- Bid Day

14 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 19, 2010 at 3:07 am

It looks like you’re having a fab time. I have to say that I find the amount of running you do really inspiring. You just make it look so easy. I can imagine that having a massage after a long run must have been heavenly.

15 Maria @ runningcupcake September 19, 2010 at 3:59 am

Wow what fab pictures! Well done on the 20 miler- I like the way you split it like that- makes it seem much more achievable.
The massage sounds like a fab idea- my last half marathon there were sports massages after (for a charity donation) but the queues were so long I didn’t bother. Wish I had now!
πŸ™‚
Maria @ runningcupcake recently posted..My fave running bits

16 Joanne September 19, 2010 at 6:31 am

Congrats on your long run Meghann! 20 milers have always daunted me but I’m going to try to break up my next one into quarters like you did…you’re right that it just doesn’t seem as daunting.

For my first marathon, I did two 20 milers as well and I have to say that I think it really made a difference on race day…I didn’t really start to feel pain until mile 23 and I think that’s because my feet actually got used to the 20 miles! You will rock Chicago, I’m sure!

You have some serious good eats in here. That salt stick sounds delicious to my salt-loving soul.
Joanne recently posted..Red Velvet Whoopie Pies

17 Nicole (Picky Nicky) September 19, 2010 at 8:15 am

Hi Meghan, I just stumbled across your blog and I quite like it πŸ˜€
I’ll be coming back!
Oh and, don’t you wish all restaurants served cupcakes while you’re waiting for your food?! I WISH πŸ™‚
Have a great day!

18 Lee September 19, 2010 at 8:49 am

Congrats on completing your 20 mile run!
Lee recently posted..Some races you race- some you run

19 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com September 19, 2010 at 8:50 am

one word- HEAVEN
all runners deserve a good massage..well all women in general deserve a good massage. these photos make me too envious!!! lol

xoxo

20 faith @ gracefulfitness September 19, 2010 at 10:01 am

TWO 20 milers in under a month? You’re awesome! Do you ever take walking breaks during your runs or only to buy drinks, etc.?
faith @ gracefulfitness recently posted..Sunday Silence

21 christina cadden September 19, 2010 at 11:00 am

Looks like a great time and congrats on 20 miles!

22 Courtney September 19, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Congrats on the run!! I’ve never had a salt stick- definitely good post-run food though to restore your sodium levels! πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..Banana Cake

23 Melissa @ TryingToHeal September 19, 2010 at 12:54 pm

i hope those tears you kept speaking of were tears of joy and not pain! there’s no crying in baseball! ahaha…ok, j/k. you can cry if you need to. just don’t worry me!

great job on the run! i miss running w/ you ladies!
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..A Chocolaty Day

24 Melissa September 19, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Oh my! That just looks like the best motivation to go for a long run! Looks like your weekend is going great πŸ™‚ Enjoy dinner
Melissa recently posted..Apples for Breakfast

25 caronae September 19, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I strongly concur with the title of this post! Sounds like it was a really great long run — love it when that happens! At the moment, I am dawdling and struggling to get out the door for my own 20 miler. I’m scared! Eeek. πŸ™‚
caronae recently posted..Awesome Speed Workout-Awesome Food

26 Sana September 19, 2010 at 2:15 pm

You and your sister are having a fantastic getaway!
Sana recently posted..Rock Garden

27 Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy September 19, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I listened to 3 Eminem songs yesterday on my long run lol my favorite is I’m Not Afraid – it sounds like a choir in the background & totally motivates me to keep going! Leave it up to power953 to play 3 songs by the same guy in less than an hour πŸ™‚ Glad you’re having fun on your vacation!
Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy recently posted..Grocery Budgeting

28 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 19, 2010 at 5:46 pm

oooh congrats on a great run!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Fun in the sun

29 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels September 19, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Great job on the run and how nice to be able to have a massage after your run! It looks so relaxing. Have a wonderful day!
Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels recently posted..French Apple Tart- My New Love

30 Devon (Fast Foodie) September 19, 2010 at 11:22 pm

When you said you had a Salt Stick with lunch, I immediately thought you were talking about electrolyte tablets (Salt Stick being the brand). I thought it was awfully odd you were talking salt caps with lunch. Ooops.

Massages really help me recover from my high mileage weeks. When my boyfriend and I were finishing up our 37 mile backcountry run yesterday and were 1/2 mile from the finish, he exclaimed “I am so jealous of you right now.” I asked why and he said, “because you have a massage on monday”. I made it a point to schedule my weekly massage appointment on a monday so I would feel so much better after my long runs! I definitely agree running long in new places is really fun and makes the miles fly!
Devon (Fast Foodie) recently posted..What would you do Getting past carrots and sticks

31 Mama Pea September 20, 2010 at 12:51 am

I meant to say this yesterday, but got busy. In any event, “GREEEEEEEEN BIKINI.”

“If you wear it, I will comment”

32 Marci September 20, 2010 at 11:45 am

20 miles is amazing! And on vacation! Way to go, I’m inspired.
Marci recently posted..Cookies and DefineMind class

33 Lauren @ Running Examiner September 20, 2010 at 11:48 am

It looks like you had such a fun weekend. Yay for the post-run massages!
Lauren @ Running Examiner recently posted..Hoboken resident competes in Ironman