A Hidden Ice Cream Gem

by Meghann on September 17, 2010

Well, that was a long drive!

4 hours later and we’re here!

Pretty, right? I love the way cities look at night. πŸ™‚

Before we hit the road I had a pice of toast with brie, fig preserves, crushed pecans, and a broke Adora Disc.

It was an epic snack. πŸ™‚

Since I can’t seem to stay awake when driving long distances (I swear there’s a medical name out there behind my condition) Derek took over the long drive to South Florida. We weren’t 30 minutes into the drive before I was snoring in the passenger seat and Derek was threatening to post unflattering photos of me drooling on twitter. Ahem.

Despite the threats I still managed a glorious 2 hour nap and managed to wake up just 20 miles from our designated destination for dinner.

Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza is a franchise with a location I’ve driven by one or twice in Orlando and whose Ft. Lauderdale location was highly recommended by a handful of twitter followers.

The menu was simple with just a handful of pizza options. This made selecting the perfect pie pretty easy. I surveyed all the tables when we were seated and after noting every person’s pizza looked delicious I knew we were in the right spot. πŸ™‚

Derek and I split a large Fritatta Pizza which came with egg, peppers, and onions.

The pizza was cheesy and greasy and the crust was slightly burnt and crispy. I <3 crispy burnt crust. πŸ™‚ The cheese did overpower the egg just a tad, so next time would probably go without it. Still, the pizza was delicious and I would happily revisit this chain again. πŸ™‚

On our way back to the hotel a carnival of lights caught my eye from the side of the road.

Jaxson’s Ice Cream Shoppe? Well if you insist. πŸ™‚

I knew this place had to be good when I saw a line outside a mile long

and a selection of homemade ice cream flavors that filled the board.

You had me at ‘As seen on Food Network’

I ordered the ‘Crunchy Peanut Butter’ which tasted like creamy peanut butter cookie dough. This sucker was good! Rich. Creamy. And everything REAL ice cream should be. πŸ˜‰

It was late by the time we checked in, so I will have to post some photos of our room tomorrow. We managed to get a corner room which means a wrap around balcony!

Derek and I were skipping above all the people. It was pretty fun. πŸ™‚

Alright, I have an early wake up call followed by a 20 mile run, an hour massage, and some serious beach time.

Sweet dreams!

1 Ashley September 17, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Oh my gosh. I have THE SAME thing happen with driving long distances. Even when I used to drive home 2hrs from Ohio State [in Columbus Ohio] to Cleveland, OH, I would start to doze off. Typically I go through 1 tired stint and then kind of snap out of it. So strange. My huz does all of the long driving πŸ™‚ I made a few 8hr car trips from Charlotte to Cleveland by myself and it was not easy!

2 jenna September 17, 2010 at 10:43 pm

omg i loveeeee the new layout! i have been busy at school and haven’t read blogs in weeks, i know devastating! but i love it and the new name πŸ™‚
jenna

3 Shannon, Tropical Eats September 17, 2010 at 10:46 pm

congrats on winning the trip!!! the hotel looks so fancy!

and crispy burnt crust is definitely the best πŸ™‚ i’ve never been to south florida before.. which is pretty lame!
Shannon, Tropical Eats recently posted..Big News

4 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 17, 2010 at 10:53 pm

The pizza sounds sooo good and the ice cream?! No words.
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Funky

5 Ash Bear September 17, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Rough life! The drive looks long but fun and I love the way you broke it up with dinner and ice cream. I don’t know why I don’t plan relaxing days after long runs. After 18 miles on Sunday I’ll be doing another walking tour. HA!
Ash Bear recently posted..Things I’m Loving for Fall

6 Kristina @ spabettie September 17, 2010 at 10:56 pm

that ice cream sounds awesome… I just got an ice cream maker, I may have to christen it with this concoction… πŸ˜€
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..HALLOWEENIE !

7 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 17, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I would love to have a mini vacation with that balcony alone… the massage wouldn’t hurt either!
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..30 Day Shred

8 Sana September 17, 2010 at 11:46 pm

I LOVE that little thing to catch the dripping ice cream! I spill all over!
Sana recently posted..Rock Garden

9 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) September 17, 2010 at 11:50 pm

I love a slightly burnt, crispy pizza crust too!!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..In MyΒ Element

10 Caitlin (EatFeats) September 18, 2010 at 12:55 am

YUM ice cream. That pizza also sounds wonderful. What a great night for food and for hot-shot hotel rooms!
Caitlin (EatFeats) recently posted..The Best Bread Ever in the History of History

11 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 18, 2010 at 3:02 am

Pizza and ice cream sounds like a good night to me! Enjoy your trip. πŸ™‚
Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) recently posted..It’s Been A Really LongΒ Week

12 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com September 18, 2010 at 7:19 am

Whoa. From the balcony, looks like a great hotel! Niiiiice. πŸ™‚

Good luck on your 20 miler!
Kristy @ KristyRuns.com recently posted..Breakfasts- Lunches- and Dinners! Oh- my!

13 Lauren September 18, 2010 at 9:07 am

Frittata pizza sounds great! I know my hubby would love it. πŸ™‚ Have an incredible weekend Meghann! PS- As I was running my 7 miles this morning, I was thinking of you. I kept thinking, I bet Meghann is running 20 miles right now, I can push a little harder. πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..There is a New Love in My Life

14 Sarah @ EatRunGarden September 18, 2010 at 9:07 am

I fall asleep on long car rides too (sometimes on short one also). I think it the motion of the car or something
Congrats on winning what looks like a nice fun get away. Your hotel looks so nice and what a better time to get a massage than after running 20 miles πŸ˜€
Sarah @ EatRunGarden recently posted..Slow cooked Turkey Pot Pie

15 Evan Thomas September 18, 2010 at 9:44 am

Good luck on the 20 miler! Who am I kidding, you’re probably done by now πŸ˜‰

16 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 18, 2010 at 9:50 am

Love the adora disks on toast. I actually love everything on that toast. πŸ™‚

17 Sammi September 18, 2010 at 10:39 am

You went to two of my favorite places last night! Jaxsons was my first date with my boyfriend of 1.5 years πŸ™‚ And Anthony’s is his favorite pizza place! Hope you enjoy Ft Lauderdale. You need to check out Las Olas! There is a Primanti Bros in town too which is famous in Philadelphia! And a Coyote Ugly Bar!

18 christina cadden September 18, 2010 at 10:47 am

Have fun!

19 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels September 18, 2010 at 11:15 am

That ice cream looks incredible! And so many flavors to choose from.

I LOVE the first picture! πŸ™‚
Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels recently posted..Carrot Cake Cookie Sandwiches

20 Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life September 18, 2010 at 11:41 am

Ice cream looks super good. Can’t wait to hear about your long run. Some day I’ll be running 20 miles πŸ™‚

21 Katie @Sweets and Veggies September 18, 2010 at 11:41 am

I had pizza for dinner too!! Delicious!! Nothing is better than pairing pizza with ice cream afterwards! Have fun at the beach, I’m super jealous. And an hour massage too?? Can we please trade lives?
Katie @Sweets and Veggies recently posted..Going The Distance

22 Laura September 18, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I DEFINITELY recommend Houston’s for dinner in Ft. Lauderdale. Houston’s Thai Steak salad or Chicken salad are to die for. My favorite restaurant in the world. Hope you enjoy your trip! πŸ™‚

23 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 18, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I wish I had your problem of sleeping in cars! I never seem to be able to fall asleep. If I do doze off, it’s for like 20 minutes, and then I’m awake the rest of the time.

That ice cream place looks absolutely delicious! Is it ok to eat ice cream in the morning, because I want some now!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..I’ve Got the Magic in Me

24 Whitney September 18, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Sounds like you’re already having a wonderful time!!