A Tight Gluteus Maximus

by Meghann on September 16, 2010

I may have underestimated how many lunges and squats I did in my impromtu living room work out yesterday. I woke up this morning with sore hamstrings and a tight gluteus maximus.

[source]

hehe

Those tight muscles turned my scheduled tempo run into a 7 mile run with 3 slightly faster miles thrown in the middle. My goal was do those tempo miles around 7:45 and I was struggling to try and get under 8:00. Booo…

On the bright side, I did learn an important lesson – speed work is best done on fresh legs and no lunges and squats at least two weeks before my marathon!

Also, the weather this morning was awesome and I hope it stays this nice for the rest of my training!

IMG_9412

I told you the jar of Honey Peanut Butter was almost empty. 😉

P.S. the Smuckers Natural Honey Peanut Butter is a new favorite of mine and can be found in the normal PB section at Publix. It’s delicious and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg – I plan to pick up another jar on Sunday to replace this one!

IMG_9433

In the jar – Overnight Oats:

• Last of Honey PB
  • 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
  • Almond Milk
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Raisins
  • Cacao Nibs
  • Cinnamon
  • 1/2 Peach
  • Little bit of Granola

IMG_9428 IMG_9421

Look what I found in my inbox this morning (!!)

Seasons52

Anyone up for a visit to Seasons 52 on September 21?!?!

1 Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 16, 2010 at 9:30 am

Wow you’re tempo runs are fast! I’ve found marathon training has zapped my speed – I’m a minute slower per mile now I’m a training that I was before 🙁 You amaze me!!!
Freya (Brit Chick Runs) recently posted..Whole Foods- Take Two

2 Jessie September 16, 2010 at 9:32 am

Honey PB is my favorite. I am actually eating PB&Co Bee’s Knee honey PB with pretzels right now…for breakfast. But I have a hard time finding at the store where I normally shop so I will def keep an eye out for this Smuckers stuff. Thanks!

3 Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) September 16, 2010 at 9:42 am

After I do squats and lunges – I swear I’m more sore than post marathon 🙂 That honey pb looks great! It’s making me crave oats in a jar so badly…I think I’m going to start asking my roomie to save her nearly empty pb jars for me. Hopefully she isn’t too weirded out!

4 Carly (Swim, Run, Om) September 16, 2010 at 9:49 am

I know this is totally immature, but “gluteus maximus” always makes me giggle. Because it means your booty.

Hee, hee, hee.
Carly (Swim, Run, Om) recently posted..Random

5 Kelly September 16, 2010 at 9:57 am

Oooh can’t wait for the fall menu! My sister and I will definitely be going!
Kelly recently posted..Challenge 1- Ready- Set- Blog!

6 Janelle September 16, 2010 at 10:14 am

Hi there,
I’ve been reading for a while, and just wanted to let know I really like the new layout! I do have one question – I’ve noticed on your blog (and, incidentally, Tina’s – same designer??) that the pictures sort of fade in as you scroll down – and for some reason this makes me feel really nauseous?? To the point where I almost can’t read the blog. I don’t expect you to change your entire layout for me – just wondered if you happen to know of a setting I could change on my end so that I can continue to read without the seasick feeling. How odd, eh?

7 Meghann September 16, 2010 at 10:31 am

Hi Janelle,

The photos look like they’re fading because they aren’t uploading until you scroll over them. It’s a setting that allows the blog to load quicker and *hopefully* prevent crashing. I know it’s kind of annoying and I’m sorry it’s making you seasick. 🙁 I’ll have to ask my designer if there is anything you can do on your end to prevent it.

8 Sana September 18, 2010 at 12:06 am

I was wondering about that! It is kinda funny! I wonder if you can read the post in google reader?
Sana recently posted..Rock Garden

9 Madeline - Greens and Jeans September 16, 2010 at 10:16 am

I’m less than 3 weeks out from my marathon so I’m officially in the “freaking out about my taper” mode. I read an article on the Runner’s World website last night that said to completely cut out all strength training at least 2 weeks before the marathon. Makes pretty good sense to me!

10 Biz September 16, 2010 at 10:18 am

Glad the weather is holding out for you – Chicago in October can be either good or bad, so be prepared for anything!

Seasons 52 sounds like a fun event!
Biz recently posted..Challenge 1 – Ready- Set- Blog! Welcome to My Bizzy Kitchen

11 Marci September 16, 2010 at 10:46 am

I actually think lunges and squats are the most powerful way to strengthen our legs. I add them to my routine, but definitely not if I plan on running the next day! But it’s amazing what your own body weight can do!
I like how the pictures fade in, I think it’s cool.

12 Tobi Nicholson September 16, 2010 at 10:46 am

I’m ready for Seasons 52. One of my all time favorites. I am in Winter Haven, Fl and we actually just went there for lunch a couple of weekends ago. It is always soooooo good.

13 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 16, 2010 at 11:03 am

I always find that running really helps to loosen up my sore muscles from weightlifting. I always feel better after a run.

14 Rachel September 16, 2010 at 11:04 am

I love over night oats! I had some for breakfast this morning too! Angela @ Oh She Glows is a genius!!

15 Stephanie @ Laugh and Cook September 16, 2010 at 11:09 am

Where did you find that Honey PB at?!

16 Stephanie @ Laugh and Cook September 16, 2010 at 11:11 am

Where did you find that Honey Peanut Butter at?!

17 Angela September 16, 2010 at 11:12 am

That’s how I feel after Core Fusion. Talk about tight buns – whoo! Pretzel is killer. Even though you didn’t hit the speed you were going for I still think you did amazing. You’re running is so impressive! I wish I could run like that. Great job!
Angela recently posted..Travel Tuesdays- Our First Vacation

18 Evan Thomas September 16, 2010 at 12:07 pm

If that diagram is correct, I seriously underestimated the amount of ass muscles we must have.

19 emily September 16, 2010 at 12:20 pm

That is my favorite pb too but I can’t find it since I moved 🙁 It is the only non-chunky kind I like!
emily recently posted..Study Emergen-C

20 Caitlin (EatFeats) September 16, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I want Smuckers honey pb and seasons 52 in California!
Caitlin (EatFeats) recently posted..The Best Bread Ever in the History of History

21 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 16, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Still haven’t tried OIAJ! I’m waiting to finish my jar of peanut butter but I’m really slow about eating peanut butter.

22 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 16, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I hear you on the sore muscles, I started the 30 day shred and my legs and bum are killing me!!
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..30 Day Shred

23 Elizabeth September 16, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I’ve never had honey pb, but sounds yummy. I’ll have to pick that up some time.

24 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 16, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I SO wish there was a Seasons 52 around me!!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Let Them Go

25 Tina September 16, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I love that nutbutter too. I also like Skippy Natural Honey. I have to get the cheaper but still good quality options.
Tina recently posted..30 days of self love – Perfection

26 Alicia at Poise in Parma September 16, 2010 at 3:53 pm

It’s it sad that I’m already planning my celebration dinner at Seasons 52 for (HOPEFULLY!) finishing the WDW half-marathon this coming January?!

That looks like the most glorious jar of overnight oats ever made. Gotta love peaches this time of year!
Alicia at Poise in Parma recently posted..You Lose You Win- My Women’s Health Magazine Feature

27 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 16, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I’ve also learned not to do strength training the day before my long runs. Last time I did that, my legs felt like heavy blocks the next day. Never again!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Nothing Like a Run and a Beer After a Long Day

28 Jessica September 16, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I’m all for a Seasons 52 trip! I won’t be in Orlando until the 24th but seriously I’ve been wanting to go for so long!

P.S. what do we have to do to have a picture next to our comment?

29 Sana September 18, 2010 at 12:07 am

Seasons 52 sounds awesome! I wish there was one near me!
Sana recently posted..Rock Garden