Fall is in the air

by Meghann on September 15, 2010

Things I’m looking forward to this fall….(some of which I have already seen pop up on other blogs!)

• PUMPKIN
  • Soup
  • Cornbread
  • Chili
  • Winter Squash
  • Apples
  • Cooler weather
  • Chicago (again)
  • Charlottesville (Kath’s Birthday!)
  • San Francisco (Foodbuzz Festival)
  • New Seasons of my favorite shows
  • Running Season
  • Sweaters
  • Autumn Colors
  • Football
  • And so much more!

What are you looking forward to?!?!

For some reason when I picture Fall in my head I always picture the television’s version of gold & brown leaves, turtlenecks & sweaters, pumpkin patches, and cooler weather. That’s obviously not even close to what it’s like down here – our trees stay green year around & sweaters are more winter than fall- but it’s still nice to pretend that’s what Fall is all about. 🙂

But, I do know there is a glimmer of Fall in the air because I had a smoothie in a bowl this morning and – dare I say it – the concoction left me FREEZING afterwards. It was too the point where I had to put my heat on in the car on the way to work. brrr…

IMG_9307

Granted it was only 70 degrees on my drive in (not even close to heater weather), but it was enough to let me know that smoothie season is on it’s way out the door (booooo) and the promise of cooler weather *crosses fingers* is on it’s way in.

IMG_9320

Still, smoothies are my favorite, so I promise to hold on as long as possible to these delectable creation so I can enjoy them…. or at least until marathon training is over. 😉

This morning’s mix:

• 1 Peach
  • Ice
  • 1 t Vanilla Extract
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Almond Milk
  • Spinach
  • 1 T Peanut Butter
  • 1 t Xanthum Gum (for thickening)
  • 1 t Honey

Toppings included raisins, Kashi Go Lean Crunch, Attune Chocolate Granola Munch

IMG_9326

I love it when my smoothies truly are GREEN monsters. The trick is to pair a neutral colored fruit with the spinach/ kale (i.e. peaches, pineapple, bananas (ewww), mango, etc.)

IMG_9327

I wanted to mix up my routine this morning by testing out the ExerciseTV on Demand Cardioke – that Katy had recommended.

[Source]

When it comes to fitness, Blanks knows that people want to have a good time while working out. "If it’s not fun, they’ll never come back," said Blanks. Cardioke definitely lands squarely in the fun camp. Join in the fun, and you’ll be doing cardio moves you can break down and take with you to the dance club. "People will go to a club and dance for hours at a time and they won’t call it a workout," said Blanks. What’s more, you’ll also sing along while working out.

Umm… yeah… notsomuch.

I’m soooo NOT a dancer and once again this work out fell into the trap of me needing some sort of rhythm and not being able to find it. I gave the work out a good 10 minutes, but even that was too much. Morning work outs are suppose to be fun – NOT stressful- and I hate wasting my fun time on things that are.

Sorry Billy Blanks Jr. I prefer the structured Tae Bo moves of your papa. Your dancin’ fool moves are just not my style.

*Mental Note* dig up old copies of Tae Bo in near future.

I seriously used to do one of these work outs once a week back when I first started losing weight. I miss them.

What ever happened to Billy Blanks anyways?!?

Once I turned Cardioke off I messed around with my free weights and took Maddie for a long walk. Much better.

Nest time I’ll create my own Cardioke by just jumping up and down and singling along to my favorite music in my living rooms (something I do on a regular basis anyways 😉 )

1 Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 15, 2010 at 9:15 am

TAE BO! I love Tae Bo! And I love |Billy Blanks – I never knew he had a son! Haha, now I want to go dig out my old TB dvds too 😛
Freya (Brit Chick Runs) recently posted..Whole Foods- Take Two

2 Melissa September 15, 2010 at 9:19 am

If you love the structure of Tae Bo try Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred or Boost Your Metabolism workouts! They are sooooo much fun 🙂
Melissa recently posted..I Want to be my Cat

3 Cassie September 15, 2010 at 9:25 am

I just stumbled across your blog recently, and I have to say that you take FANTASTIC photos! For autumn, what I always look forward to most is the fashion 😉 Have a great day!

4 Anne September 15, 2010 at 9:36 am

Come up to Boston! The low was 50 degrees last night! I actually turned on our heat for a second this morning. And I now have to *gasp* DRY MY HAIR in the morning!
But I love fall as much as you do (and for many of the same reasons, e.g. football).
Anne recently posted..MOH comes to visit!

5 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels September 15, 2010 at 9:40 am

I LOVE fall because it means I get to eat lots of my frosted pumpking bars. haha 🙂 Fall is my absolute favorite season and there are so many things I love about it…the cooler weather, apple crisp, halloween! 🙂

6 Madeline - Greens and Jeans September 15, 2010 at 9:58 am

We aren’t even CLOSE to fall yet here in Phoenix! I think it’s supposed to be 105 today. Yuck.
Madeline – Greens and Jeans recently posted..short and amazing

7 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 15, 2010 at 10:15 am

I Just had a green monster with a peach yesterday and it was SO GOOD!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Let Them Go

8 Megan @ AVeryMegGirl September 15, 2010 at 10:16 am

I remember doing Billy Blank’s with my friends after school.. haha so funny!!

I nearly had a heart-attack the other day when someone in Acme told me pumpkin is on a shortage.. I then spent the next half an hour calling all the local food stores and nobody had pumpkin! I finaly found it at whole food and bnought 4 at $2.99 a can.. way to expensive but for pumpkin it’s worth it!

9 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 15, 2010 at 10:33 am

I definitely miss New England fall… Texas doesn’t have “fall” they have green and dead. Boo!!
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..Busy Bee

10 kristy @ kristyruns.com September 15, 2010 at 10:47 am

Running in the fall is the best! Can’t wait til the leaves start changing more up here in Atlanta!! 🙂

Yeah…i always add berries to my green smoothies so they’re always purple…never really green.
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..An Apple Pie

11 amanda September 15, 2010 at 11:08 am

cardioke is hysterical! my sister and i gave it a try one rainy afternoon. we were laughing so hard. like seriously, people?? the thought of singing and dancing is a good time, however!

fall is the best! so many positive things to look forward to. tv is definitely one of those things. as well as the cool air and pretty colors on the trees. and halloween. dressing up is such fun!

12 Marina September 15, 2010 at 11:25 am

I’m looking forward to an abundance of pumpkins, apples, grapes and chestnuts 🙂
And the smell of the fall, and the leaves making a wonderful smoothing sound while walking around the park.
Marina recently posted..boring

13 Caitlin (EatFeats) September 15, 2010 at 11:54 am

I LOOOOOVE Cardioke! I have no rhythm, but as long as nobody is there to watch me embarrass myself I don’t care. I also love Tae Bo. I guess I’m a fan of any member of the Blanks family.

I love Fall, too! Something about it is so refreshing. Also this Summer was outrageously cold in California, so I am enjoying the warm Fall weather right now.
Caitlin (EatFeats) recently posted..The Best Bread Ever in the History of History

14 Stephanie September 15, 2010 at 11:58 am

Taebo!!! I remember going over to my cousin’s place and working out in front of the tv screen and then passing out on the couch after just 10 minutes. lol Good times!

15 Stefanie September 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm

So funny you asked about Billy Blanks, so of course I had to google!

Here are some fun facts on Billy Blanks on WikiPersonal life
Blanks was born in Erie, Pennsylvania, the fourth of fifteen children. As a child he suffered from undiagnosed dyslexia. Blanks is a Christian and released a special line of Tae Bo workouts called the “Believer’s” series that includes motivational prayers and other Christian components. He has appeared on Christian television network TBN.[9]

He married Gayle H. Godfrey, whom he met in karate class. On June 28, 1974, Billy’s daughter, Shellie, was born. Shellie Blanks Cimarosti is now an accomplished martial artist, is prominently featured almost all of Billy’s Tae Bo videos and has recently produced her own video (Tae Bo Postnatal Power),[10] as well as hosted her father’s new infomercial Tae Bo T3 (Total Transformation Training). Gayle and Billy also have a son, Billy Jr., who has acted in a touring production of Fame and, separate from his father’s endeavors, has started his own fitness video line called CARDIOKE.[11]

Billy and Gayle were divorced in 2008 after 33 years of marriage. According to the Petition for Legal Separation filed by his wife Gayle on April 22, 2008 in Los Angeles Superior Court, she and Billy had been separated since September 25, 2007. The reason given in the petition for the separation is “irreconcilable differences.”[12] [13]

In November 2008, Blanks became the father of a new daughter named Angelika. The mother was his Japanese interpreter Tomoko whom he had known since 2007.[14] Billy and Tomoko’s marriage was formally registered in January 2009 and their wedding ceremony was held on June 20, 2009. He has also adopted his new wife’s two daughters, Marriett and Erika Peterson. He is currently living with them in Osaka, Japan.

16 Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous September 15, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Aw I loved cardioke when I did it. I’ve also been a dancer for the majority of my life and pick up dances really easily. But that is my strength! Yours comes in other forms that I have very little hope of ever acheiving. Like, um, a marathon?? You ROCK!
Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous recently posted..Blog Award!

17 Matt September 15, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I am totally looking forward to my MARATHON!
Matt recently posted..Guest Post- “Bama Mama”

18 Rebekah @ Rebeltarian September 15, 2010 at 2:33 pm

I just had pumpkin fro-yo last night…amazing.
Rebekah @ Rebeltarian recently posted..Morning in the Cliff…

19 Biz September 15, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Imagine me, in my family room, doing Cardioke, when Hannah and her friends walked in just as I was pretending to slap someones ass singing “don’t you think your girlfriend is hot like me!” at the top of my lungs.

Pretty sure the only cardio I burned was all of us laughing our asses off!

I’ve never gone back to it!
Biz recently posted..Challenge 1 – Ready- Set- Blog! Welcome to My Bizzy Kitchen

20 Lauren September 15, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I adore Billy Blanks!!! I used to do his workouts almost everyday and I still like to pull out an oldschool DVD once in awhile.
Lauren recently posted..There is a New Love in My Life

21 Dori September 17, 2010 at 7:00 am

Nothing. I am looking forward to nothing this fall. Fall is f*cking cold here and I am sure if I lived in Florida like you I’d be a lot happier about it!
Dori recently posted..Behind the Scenes at a YogaVibes Core Fusion Filming

22 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 20, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I actually got cold after a bite of my cold overnight oats the other morning, and I had to microwave it for a few minutes! I was sad about it also. But are you right, I’m definitely going to hold on as long as possible. Too good to give up this soon!

23 postcollegecook September 21, 2010 at 10:49 am

Cardioke is so ridiculous! You don’t even really need to do the dance moves, just jump around. But the whole situation just made me laugh a lot when I tried it.
postcollegecook recently posted..Little dog sisters face different hardships

24 Jessie August 16, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I’ll tell you what, Billy Blanks Jr’s class is amazing. I know you said that you saw something on TV, but he actually teaches at my gym and it’s the most fun you’ll ever have exercising. He and his wife have such great energy and the routines are easy to learn and super fun – and I am no dancer. Anyhoo, if you ever had a chance to do a class with him in person, I’m sure you’ll go through it with a smile! Congrats on all your progress 🙂