I’ll try anything once

by Meghann on September 14, 2010

even when I have a feeling it’s something I shouldn’t.

Let’s take this green powdery substance for instance.

That green powder is precisely 2 tablespoons of the Vega Shake and Go Tropical Smoothie Mix I received as part of my HLS swag last month.

The mix has made an appearance on the blog as part of a smoothie creation in the past, but I’ve been a little apprehensive on using it in the originally intended ‘shake & go’ method. The whole idea scared me.

BUT – as I said up above – I’ll try anything once and I decided this afternoon would be that one time.

Per the directions I added two tablespoons of mix to so many ounces of water and shook.

I had problems getting it to blend. The powder stayed on the bottom and wouldn’t budge.

I need one of those balls that breaks everything up on the bottom. Maybe I’ll steal one of my little brother’s – according to my Dad he has a million of them.

IMG_9262.jpg

Blah – not good.

My first sips were filled with powder due to the mix’s inability to blend with the water and the drink itself was watery and weak (probably because the powder wouldn’t mix). I drank about 1/3 before I gave up and tossed it out.

Oh well. At least I know it’s still a good addition to smoothies, I just won’t be drinking it on it’s own again. πŸ™‚

Dinner

This was one of my famous ‘toss it together and make it work’ meals.

I started by cutting an eggplant in half and hollowing each side out before placing them in the oven.

While the eggplant halves were baking for 10 minutes at 400, I cubed the insides and added it to some red quiona, onion, mushrooms, oregano, raisins, and marinara sauce on the stove top.

When the halves were done I stuffed them with the quiona mix and baked them for another 15 minutes.

It could have used some cheese, but all I had was the creamy brie. Instead of searing the brie on top (thought it would be too weird) I smeared it on a wasa cracker on the side.

The stuffed eggplant was simple and delicious. The baked quiona had a nice crunch that I thought paired nicely with the mushy eggplant. πŸ™‚

A couple of hours later I went back to the kitchen for some cantaloupe, chocolate, and kix.

I would like a larger portion of this for breakfast please. πŸ˜‰

TIme to go sleepy sleep.

Night!

1 Liz @ LBBakes September 14, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Mmm, I haven’t had Kix in years! Kid tested, mother approved. πŸ™‚
Liz @ LBBakes recently posted..Moms Pumpkin Coffee Muffies

2 Evan Thomas September 14, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Yeah, no, plain it tastes awful. Try it with a mushed banana and some almond milk and made into a pudding; then it’s tropical and delicious!

3 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) September 14, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Hey, you live and learn!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Fall is in the Air

4 Tina September 14, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I can only do powders like that in smoothies. They have to be blended smooth for me to stomach them. The closest I get to powder and water is choc powders blended with coffee. That’s actually pretty good.
Tina recently posted..30 days of self love – Perfection

5 Ellie September 14, 2010 at 9:24 pm

yeah I’m with you- that kinda sounds nasty. . . I can handle things in smoothies but powder on it’s own in water (not even milk) freaks me out. Love the eggplant it’s plated very prettily (I’d studying to be a RD and I’ve noticed you do a good job with presentation πŸ™‚

6 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 14, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Haha your dessert is so random but sounds so good!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Let Them Go

7 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 14, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I think more stuffed veggies need to be in my cooking repertoire. Stat.
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..Busy Bee

8 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 14, 2010 at 10:27 pm

I had the exact same problem with Amazing Grass. I’ve found it mixes with fruit juice A LOT better than with water or milk.

9 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 14, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Those powder mixes scare me too. I’d rather blend them with real food.

Dinner looks delicious! How long do you usually spend cooking dinner each night?
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Sometimes- I wish I were a kitten…

10 Meghann September 15, 2010 at 9:16 am

It depends. Usually not longer than 30 minutes though.

11 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 14, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I hate powdered drink mixes also. I think they are naaarsty.

12 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 14, 2010 at 10:47 pm

oh yummy! I had roasted eggplant in my dinner last night and had forgetten how much I love it!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Football- fun- food…and a training reflection

13 amanda September 15, 2010 at 7:40 am

ackkk! i am a weird texture person. so i can’t even how the powder in the mouth must have tasted. but now you knowwwww!

trying anything once is a good motto. even if the results are bad. and i mean bad in the sense of something tasting not great. not bad like you lose a leg or something. haha.

14 sweetersalt September 15, 2010 at 9:27 am

That eggplant looks delicious! I’m obsessed with stuffing squash, and love eggplant, but never thought to stuff an eggplant. Nice!

Laura
sweetersalt recently posted..Corn Bread Muffins with Cotija and Poblano

15 Sara Lorusso September 15, 2010 at 9:39 am

Get a Blender Bottle! Works great every time and no gross clumps!! I love mine and use ALL the time! BTW, love your blog!

16 Rachel @Balance and Blueberries September 15, 2010 at 9:44 am

Woot! There’s dinner….thanks for the idea, I’ve been wondering what to do with my eggplant that’s chilling on my counter πŸ™‚

17 Summer September 15, 2010 at 10:36 am

I had Kix this morning for breakfast! I had it with a banana, like Evan mentioned, just not mushed up. I know that’s not really an option for you with your allergy πŸ™ Question: Do you soak or salt your eggplant cubes before cooking?
Summer recently posted..running my legs and my mouth

18 Meghann September 15, 2010 at 11:25 am

Nope – I’m one of those rare people who actually enjoys the bitterness of eggplant – I’ll actually eat pieces of it raw while I’m cutting it too!

19 Lauren @ Running Examiner September 15, 2010 at 11:55 am

I wish I wasn’t so lazy when it comes to dinner πŸ™ I can only motivate myself to really cook anything interesting on weekends. I’m entirely too reliant on grilled chicken salads, English muffin pizzas, etc. Meh.

Long story short–your dinner looks good (and inventive!) πŸ™‚
Lauren @ Running Examiner recently posted..Hoboken resident competes in Ironman

20 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm

At least now you know! Some good comes of everything I suppose. πŸ™‚

21 Stacy September 15, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Ick! I tried mixing mine (Vega Smoothie mix) with soy milk and shaking it up. No go! It was all clumpy and gross πŸ™
Stacy recently posted..Yoga Challenge and Smoothie Recipe

22 Steph September 15, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I love those Wasa crackers – so good! They make for great mini pizzas if you like a crunchier crust. πŸ™‚
Steph recently posted..Obamasana