more ยป" />

Sunday Eats

by Meghann on September 12, 2010

I did something today that I’ve been dying to do all week.

I took the Brie, Apple, and Honey combination to the sandwich press and it was fabulous. :)

On the left: Brie, Pecans, and Raisins. On the right: apple and Honey

Some spinach was added in between and to the George Foreman it went.

The bread I used was was on the older side and sort of fell apart when I tried to pick it up, but all the flavors were still there.

I see this sandwich as a new lunch time staple. It was sweet, gooey, and had a bit of crunch in each bite. It was basically everything I would want in a sandwich and more. :)

With my sandwich I had the other half of the apple from the sandwich

And some tortillas with salsa.

The rest of my day consisted of a little poolside action, grocery shopping, football, and Lifetime movies. A very productive Sunday, don’t you think? ;)

Somewhere in there I had my last Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie.

I had a little help with dinner tonight.

IMG_9057.jpg

Derek is an excellent vegetable chopper. ;)

IMG_9058.jpg

The expertly chopped veggies were a key component to my Experly Fish Enchiladas.

Yum!

Spicy Fish Enchiladas

• 1 Fish Fillet (I used flounder)
  • 1/2 cup chopped Red Onion
  • 3/4 cup Black Beans
  • 1/2 cup DicedTomatoes
  • 4 baby Mushrooms (chopped)
  • 1/2 cup Corn
  • 1/4 cup Green Chilies
  • 1 T minced Garlic
  • 2 T Chili Powder
  • 1 T Red Pepper Flakes
  • Generous Pinch Salt
  • 1 can Enchilada Sauce
  • 2 cup Shredded Cheese
  • 3 Tortillas

Start by sauteeing the onion, garlic, and mushrooms in a little EVOO. Once the onion is translucent add the fillet of fish. When the fish can easily flake away shred it with a fork in the pan then add the rest of the veggies and seasonings.

Coat everything with 1/2 a can of enchilada sauce and let it cook on low for 10 minutes.

Coat the bottom of an 8×8 baking pan with 1/4 of the can of enchilada sauce.

Spoon about 1/3 of the mix into each tortilla, roll into a log, and place neatly in the pan seam down.

IMG_9069.JPG IMG_9072.JPG

Coat with the remaining enchilada sauce and top with the last of the cheese (I was out)

IMG_9084.JPG IMG_9086.JPG

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes

Topped with homemade guacamole and plain yogurt

and pan fried plantains

IMG_9112.jpg

For dessert: a small ice cream cone with Coffee Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream

IMG_9130.jpg

Request from my Mom…

My twin bro is in Chicago for the next month doing an ENT rotation through the University of Illinois. He’s excited about the opportunity and the change of scenery, but the apartment he found for his duration wasn’t exactly what he had in mind *cough*craphole*cough*

Apparently the apartment is dirty, messy, and on the verge of being unliveable. My bro didn’t know what he was getting himself into and is now seeking other arrangements.

My Mom called me this afternoon upset about the whole mess and asked out of desperation that I put out a plea for anyone in the Chicago area who may be able to take him in for a couple of weeks. I’m not exactly sure what my Mom had in mind by me putting this out there, but she is my Mom and when she makes a request I usually deliver.

So, if anyone can help my brother out please let me know! He is a future doctor and very clean! :)

60316_10100519245190291_2018340_71841347_4399595_n.jpg

Love you Josh! and Mom! :)

1 Emily (Healthy Fit Mama) September 12, 2010 at 9:43 pm

That sandwich looks delish! I never would have thought to put those items into a sandwich.

Good luck to your bro!

2 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com September 12, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I am so impressed with your dinner! Y’all make a great team. ;)

I can’t wait to use your apple, cheese, and honey combo on a pizza this week for dinner! I’m going to make it with vegan cheese, so we’ll see if the recipe holds up without the brie. :/

3 Ellie September 12, 2010 at 9:49 pm

OMG that sandwich looks amazing! I wish I could help your brother but he’d have to be willing to drive 4 hours everyday I live 2 hours south of the city. My brother did a ENT rotation in chicago last year and loved it.

4 Carly (Swim, Run, Om) September 12, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Okay, next paycheck I’m definitely splurging on some brie to try this combination. You’re making it look too delicious! I think I’ll just stick to the sandwich, though. I’m not so sure about trying a “sweet” pizza.

Good luck to your brother!

5 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 12, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I have never thought of using my Foreman grill as a panini maker – what was I thinking? Looks delish!

Hope your brother can find a place!

6 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 12, 2010 at 10:21 pm

I have GOT to try the sandwich combo.. oh yum!
And the enchiladas sound delicious!

7 Ashlee September 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Ever since you changed the format, the pictures are hit or miss. Sometimes they load and sometimes they don’t.

8 Melissa September 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I seriously love your blog! The tacos look delish! Definitely going to try them this week (considering I have most of the ingredients already in the house).

9 jenna September 12, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Tell your brother to checkout craigslist.com in Chicago. He may be able to find a month long sublet apt or put out a request for a room. Hope he has some good luck!

10 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 12, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Oooh, I was going to make enchiladas tonight, but they got shelved for tomorrow. Yours look absolutely delicious!

I wish I could help out your brother, but I no longer have friends in the Chicago area. I hope something works out for him!

11 Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous September 12, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Just wanted to say I LOVE the new blog! It is looking really great.

12 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels September 12, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Your dinner looks fantastic, I seriously need to make those! And that sandwich looks AMAZING! What a creative and delicious idea. YUM :)

I hope everything works out for your brother.

13 Caitlin (EatFeats) September 12, 2010 at 11:57 pm

I would eat brie off of a dirty stick.

14 caronae September 13, 2010 at 12:11 am

This is one of the best SIMPLE dinners I have seen in a while. It’s going on my “I’m feeling lazy but need to cook dinner” list. :)

15 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com September 13, 2010 at 12:32 am

the main reason i love my george foreman grill…GOOD FOR EVERYTHING!!! <3

16 dawn September 13, 2010 at 12:50 am

love the sandwich combo… i make a very similar pressed sandwich with brie, apple, spinach, and pumpkin butter. deeeeee-lish!

17 Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 13, 2010 at 3:09 am

Haha, I wish I lived in Chicago – your brother is so cute!

18 Amy @ForDGRedial September 13, 2010 at 3:45 am

Oh so sorry I’m not able to help…saw your tweet. However, if you or your brother are ever in London I have a spare room!

x

19 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 13, 2010 at 5:25 am

It sounds like a great way to spend a Sunday to me and the eats look fab.

20 Lauren September 13, 2010 at 6:52 am

Such a great sandwich combo!! I love mixing fruit and nuts into my sammies.
Great dinner too!

21 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 13, 2010 at 7:46 am

Wish I lived in Chicago- good luck to your little bro!!

22 Tina September 13, 2010 at 7:47 am

Sounds like a great Sunday to me! And a great sandwich combo. :D

23 diana@mymarblerye September 13, 2010 at 8:11 am

hey, I twittered this to you but have your bro email or talk to the people at the university of illinois. They have a mailing list or a server where med students and other students list apartments that are looking for subleasers or renters. That’s how my bf got an apt when he’s doing his med rotation there next month.

24 Amanda September 13, 2010 at 8:33 am

Your sandwich looks delicious. The apples & honey was what I was enjoying all weekend as the traditional treat to celebrate Rosh Hashana!

25 Heather September 13, 2010 at 9:28 am

That’s the tiniest ice cream cone i’ve ever seen!

26 Stacey September 13, 2010 at 9:50 am

Your enchiladas look a bit healthier than mine! I use TONS of cheese :D Looks like the perfect Sunday to me :) Pool lounging, Lifetime and ice cream?? Yes, please!

27 Sana September 13, 2010 at 10:07 am

Oh no! I hope your bro can find something through the power of the blog world!

28 Amanda September 13, 2010 at 10:25 am

That sandwich looks divine! I love this mixture of cheese and fruit, it’s perfect.

29 Anne September 13, 2010 at 10:28 am

OH NO! I was very lucky when I lived in Chicago for two semesters. The first one I stayed at Roosevelt University’s dorm (since it was summer). Maybe they have space? Then I did a sublet, site unseen, up in Roger’s Park, and it worked out wonderfully. Good luck to your brother?

P.S. I have some leftover brie, perhaps I should be adventurous and look into your sandwich.

30 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 13, 2010 at 10:49 am

Looks like a day of 2 great meals. Especially that enchilada!

31 Danielle September 13, 2010 at 11:14 am

Good luck to your brother! I’m a 4th year medical student too, and also doing the visiting rotation thing. Fortunately I had a friend that lived near Delaware for me to live with, however, I might be in the same situation as him when I go to NYC in 2 months. LOL. What field of medicine is he going into? I’m doing emergency medicine.

32 Erin September 13, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Oh man. I have a spare guest room but my husband would kill me if I offered it up to someone we’ve never met. He’s kind of paranoid about meeting “internet people”. However, if your brother can’t find anything through the university or via craigslist, please send me an email and I’ll see what I can do.

33 Danielle September 13, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Just thought of something.
It’s a website for students who provide sublets.