12 Miles with the Sis

by Meghann on September 12, 2010

I can’t say it enough, but long runs are so much better with a friend. My 12 miles literally flew by this morning – love that!

Did you know my Sister and I have both been training for Chicago since July, but this morning was the first long run we’ve done together?

IMG_2877.jpg

Last year – when we both trained for Disney – the majority of our long runs were completed together on the weekends. It was nice to have a training partner and I always enjoyed the paths around Kelly’s apartment as a change of scenery opposed to what I ran during the week.

Unfortunately this time around Kelly has the ability to complete her long runs during the week, leaving me all on my lonesome on the weekends. I would LOVE to be able to complete my long runs on Thursdays or Fridays, but with my work schedule that simply isn’t possible. πŸ™

It just so happened that due to the timing of our 5k yesterday Kelly was planning on a 12 miler today and I jumped on the chance to run it together. πŸ™‚

I set my alarm for 5:30am and had a slice of toast with Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter, Raisins, and Granola on my way out the door.

Kelly selected a loop similar to the one we ran for our 20 miler last December. We mentally divided the 12 mile route into 5 parts that were broken up by turns and roads. Once the route was broken up in parts, it didn’t seem nearly as long. Instead of mentally preparing myself for the remaining miles, I was mentally on the look out for the next section of the run.

Kelly and I chatted back and forth and played catch up. We talked blogs, running, and life in general. I miss my sis and I don’t get to spend nearly as much time with her as I would want to. As cheesy as it sounds my sister is my best friend and no one knows me like she does. She’s never afraid to tell me how it is and doesn’t care about hurting my feelings because she knows I’ll always be there no matter what.

We hit 12 miles about half a mile short from Kelly’s house. We ended up walking the rest and gave our legs a nice stretch in the process.

I brought the other half of my package of Recoverite I had tried a few weeks ago to drink on the way home.

IMG_2874.jpg

When I made it back to the apartment I whipped up a batch of smoothies for Derek and I to enjoy for breakfast.

• Frozen Pineapple
  • Frozen Mixed Berries
  • Ice
  • Almond Milk
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Flaxseed
  • Xanthum Gum
  • Vega Chocolate Smoothie Powder
  • Honey Peanut Butter

Topped with raisins and a crumbled Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookie

so good. I think I have an addiction with these things, but I’m ok with that. πŸ™‚

Derek and I are off to the pool! πŸ™‚

1 Sana September 12, 2010 at 10:50 am

πŸ™‚ I really want to start doing long runs with my sister πŸ™‚ Have fun with at the pool!
Sana recently posted..Happy 100

2 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) September 12, 2010 at 10:50 am

Great 12 miles on the 12th!! (I know you’re a numbers gal ha!)
Allie (Live Laugh Eat) recently posted..Checkin’ Outta Rehab

3 melissa (fitnessnyc) September 12, 2010 at 11:45 am

congrats to you both for a long run the day after a race!
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..What to do in NYC early fall edition

4 Ellie September 12, 2010 at 11:50 am

Love that you got to have sister time. Isn’t 12 miles a great amount of catch up time, I’ve always loved that amount. Enjoy your pool time
Ellie recently posted..Lovely Econ

5 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 12, 2010 at 12:03 pm

That’s so awesome that you and your sister have the ability to do long runs together!! I am the only running in my family, and I don’t have any close friends who can be running buddies. Which means all of my runs are done alone πŸ™
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Headache- headache- go away!

6 Heather September 12, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I have never tried running with anyone. I am worried that talking will mess with my breathing. I bet it would be a great distraction though!

Enjoy the pool – it is getting cold up in Massachusetts!

7 Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 12, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Well done on the run! It must be great to run with someone – I ran 16miles alone today, but my sister – for the first time ever – ran 2miles with me and it was AMAZING!!
Freya (Brit Chick Runs) recently posted..Whole Foods- Take Two

8 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com September 12, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Ummm…yeah…I definitely have a smoothie bowl addiction. They’re just so good and so good for you! Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. πŸ˜‰

Awesome job on the 12 miler!
Kristy @ KristyRuns.com recently posted..A Taste of Fall

9 Ash Bear September 12, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Have fun at the pool and great job on the step back run! I’m jealous of your pool time but a bit excited that fall has hit NYC! πŸ™‚ 63 degrees!

10 Mary September 12, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I wish that my sister and I were closer in age (we’re 8 years apart, i’m 23 she’s 15) She and I do run together though when we’re both in the same state πŸ™‚

I’m glad that you have such a good relationship with Kelly, you’ll value it more and more as you guys get older I’m sure πŸ™‚

11 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 12, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Wow – awesome run ladies!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Football- fun- food…and a training reflection

12 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com September 12, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I’ve never done a long run with anyone! Just me, my thoughts, and the road/trails. πŸ™‚ I think it would be awesome to run with someone to help pass the time. You’re so lucky you have a sister that runs, too!
Kristy @ KristyRuns.com recently posted..A Taste of Fall

13 Evan Thomas September 12, 2010 at 6:13 pm

That’s awesome that you two have each other to run with. I’m so scared to start marathon training and have to do longer runs. Hopefully, I’ll find other runners around here by then.

14 Krystina September 12, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Great run girls! That smoothie looks insanely good.
Krystina recently posted..Desserts for Moi- Garam Masala Brown Rice Pudding

15 Bee Goes Bananas September 12, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Mmm that SIAB looks delicious!
Bee Goes Bananas recently posted..Bridal Show 1

16 Tina September 12, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I think the ONLY way I could ever handle long runs like that would be with another person. Congrats on a great 12 miles. πŸ™‚
Tina recently posted..30 days of self love – Perfection

17 christina cadden September 12, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Good job on the 12 miles!

18 Faith @ lovelyascharged September 12, 2010 at 7:27 pm

That’s an absolutely gorgeous shade of purple!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Eat your greens like the Browns

19 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) September 12, 2010 at 7:55 pm

My sister and I love going on runs together! However, seeing we live 3000+ miles away from each other (me in Alaska, her in Minnesota) means that doesn’t happen as much as we would like!! I think I’m going to have to jump on the SIAB band wagon soon!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Date Night

20 Rachael September 12, 2010 at 8:08 pm

It’s great that you have such a solid running partner – I’d love to find one in my community. I’d also like to have a sister, but I think it’s a little late in the game to ask Santa Claus for that one.
Have a great week!
Rachael recently posted..Spicy Cioppino with Sweet Potato and Marriage- The Long Haul

21 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 12, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Hold up, how did I miss that you and Kelly are sisters?! Blogging runs in the family, I guess πŸ™‚ Great job on the run!!

22 Elizabeth September 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm

I love smoothies in a bowl! I swear I have them like every other day. Do you have a favorite smoothie?
Elizabeth recently posted..10 Pounds Down Only 5 to Go