The Running Cheerleader

by Meghann on September 11, 2010

Guess who smashed their old 5k PR with a little help from moi?

Congrats to my little brother Ben for KILLING the 5k this morning with a clock time of 26:48!!!

Woop Woop!

I was by his side cheering him along the whole way. He ran, he pushed hard, and he never gave up! Way to go Ben!

Obviously I got the muscles in the family. Wouldn’t you agree?

P.S. I need to teach my brother how to run a race without losing his shirt. Ha!

I decided late last night that I wanted to run this race with my little brother. He’s been working hard at training and I knew all he needed was that little extra push to make sure he reached his goal of under 27 minutes. :)

Before the race I had an Oatmeal Chocolate Cookie with Honey Peanut Butter.

I <3 cookies before runs. :)

We arrived at the race site super early and met up up with my sister, little brother, and his girlfriend.

I think we were there a little too early. We were able to park in the main parking line, the porta potties had no lines, and we still had 45 minutes until the race start. Umm… yeah. Next time I’m sleeping in.

IMG_8822.jpg IMG_8823.jpg

I’ve run countless races with Kelly, Kelly ran Ben’s first race with him last spring, and I just ran a race with Ben two weeks ago, but after all that we’ve never done a race with all three of us.

Today was a first and it made me happy. :) I love my siblings. All we were missing was Josh!

A for Anderson!

Yeah we’re dorks, but I think we’re ok with that. :)

Random Fact: Kelly and I managed to talk our Dad into running a 5k with us a couple of years ago.

Dad_running.jpg

The worst part? He beat me! But, he about killed himself in the process. He still reminds us how he was sore for a full week afterwards and has refused to run another one since. One day I know we’ll talk him into again! ;)

CIMG0021.JPG

Anyways….

After waiting around for almost an hour the whistle for the race finally blew.

Kelly had headed up front with a goal of smashing her previous PR. Ben and I had stayed in the middle of the pack, while Derek fell behind with his own goals of finishing in mind.

Ben took off a lot speedier than I had counted on. He was steady and strong and we finished our first mile just around 8:00 minutes. His music was in his ears at this point and I just let him do his thing.

The second mile started out just as speedy, but a point came towards the end where he needed a break. I let him walk while I tied my shoe and we still finished the second mile around 8:15.

Then it all caved in.

Ben had started out too fast and was running out of mental fuel. The last mile was tough for him, all he wanted to do was walked and I was determined to keep those walks as minimal as possible. I pulled out all the stops. I told funny stories, I did cheers for him ( Let’s go Ben Ben, let’s go!), I started singing (the guy next to me asked for more!), and I jumped, skipped, and tried to take his mind off the task at hand.

It worked. He still walked, but not for long increments of time. He was doing great and we were still on schedule to finish under 27 minutes.

Around mile 3 Ben got a boost of energy and took off towards the finish line.

He finished strong by giving it all he had in one final sprint to the end.

Ben’s official time was 26:48! Woop Woop! That’s 4 minutes faster than the 5k we did together two weeks ago!! GO BEN!!!

I came in right behind him.

26:50 :)

Kelly had finished a few minutes ahead of smashing her own PR, but you’ll have to check out her blog for the full story. ;)

All that was left was Derek.

He came in just over 30 minutes – right in line with his goal and million times better than his 37 minute finish last year. :)

We did it!

I’m in to jumping photos lately. :)

IMG_8871.jpg

Millions of thanks to our #1 fan – Ashley – who took all the photos for the day.

160136308.jpg

After the race we headed to Briar Patch for breakfast.

Kelly and I split the Fiber Blueberry and Pecan Pancakes.

And I ordered extra fruit as well. ;)

Two Years of Blogging!

Two years ago today I started blogging at graduatemeghann.com :)

I plan to do a full out anniversary celebration on Monday, but wanted to get one shout out in today.

Thank you for returning to this blog day after day to follow my journey, words can not express how special all of you have make me feel everyday. Without all the encouragement, comments, support, etc. I don’t know where I would be today. :)

1 emily September 11, 2010 at 11:12 am

Congrats on the blogiversary! Your family is so cute, it’s great that you guys like to work out together.
emily recently posted..Patriot Day

2 Kelly September 11, 2010 at 11:17 am

Yay! Congrats to all of you and happy 2 year blogiversary!
Kelly recently posted..Thintervention

3 Tiffany (Stuffed With Fluff) September 11, 2010 at 11:21 am

It’s so awesome that your family runs races together! I’d like to run a race with my brother one day, but he’s too speedy for me!

Congrats on your blogaversary! Thanks for always having interesting posts for us to read =)
Tiffany (Stuffed With Fluff) recently posted..I have a new weekend mission

4 Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 11, 2010 at 11:30 am

Congrats to you and your siblings… and this might be a bit creepy, but seriously? Your brother can keep racing without his shirt on :)

And happy blogiversary!
Mara @ What’s For Dinner? recently posted..Cute Food Saturday!

5 Megan @ A VEry Meg Girl September 11, 2010 at 11:31 am

Congrats to you and your siblings!! I suddently have the desire to run another race.. hmmm…

Happy Blog Birthday!

6 Andrea September 11, 2010 at 11:51 am

Great time for your brother and really cool that you pushed him along the way. You would be a great running coach. :)

7 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 11, 2010 at 11:52 am

Congrats on your blog’s anniversary!! What a good post to celebrate it with! I love your race posts because they inspire me to go out there and kick my butt to get ready for my own races!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Town Hall Brewery

8 Chrissy September 11, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Congratulations on the 5k and the blogiversary :) Thanks for all of your encouraging words and delicious recipe ideas along the way!

I love your running tank in the pics above…where did you find it?

9 Matt September 11, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Congrats to your brother! You guys are lucky to have so many local races. Alabama has a big whopping ZERO.
Matt recently posted..Naturally Nutty Giveaway

10 D September 11, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Hey Meghann, what shorts are you wearing in these pictures? I usually run in Nike Tempo shorts but I want to try out some good fitted ones like the ones you’re wearing! Are they comfy? I’m worried abotu them being too tight/revealing/riding up haha

11 Meghann September 11, 2010 at 2:07 pm

They’re Groove Shorts from Lululemon. I love then! They didn’t ride up at all and are sooo comfortable! I highly recommend them over the Nike tempo shorts (not a fan)

12 Evan Thomas September 11, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Awesome run, Ben!
And awesome French, Meghann ;-)

13 Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 11, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Awesome job, well done!! To everyone, that’s super! You are one good lookin’ family :p
Freya (Brit Chick Runs) recently posted..Whole Foods- Take Two

14 Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 11, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Oh, and happy blogversary!
Freya (Brit Chick Runs) recently posted..Whole Foods- Take Two

15 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) September 11, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Congrats on 2 years, Meghann! I think I’ve been reading just about that long :) Your family + Derek are awesome.
Allie (Live Laugh Eat) recently posted..Checkin’ Outta Rehab

16 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 11, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Woo-hoo! Congrats to your fam for a great race! I run my first 5K next Saturday and I’m scared out of my mind. I am currently around a 9:30 pace and staying under 30 minutes is a challenge for me. But, Ben’s determination is inspiring! From reading this, I learned that it will be okay if I have to take a breather and walk for a few seconds AND still get an amazing time. Thanks so much for sharing!

17 christina cadden September 11, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Congrats on the race to all of you guys!

18 Amber@momsgottheruns September 11, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Meghann! happy blogiversary! I really do love reading this thing. It’s one of my favs. Also, absolutely love that running shirt you wore for the 5k. where is it from?

19 Meghann September 11, 2010 at 2:07 pm

The brand is Champion and it’s from Target! love it! So comfy and easy to move in!

20 Christie September 11, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Don’t know if anyone else has mentioned it but I’m still not able to see the pictures on your posts on my iPad :(

21 Meghann September 11, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I’m sorry :( I’m contacting my webmaster now to see what the problem is.

22 Erica September 11, 2010 at 1:13 pm

SO awesome that you ran with your Bro! Congrats to ya’ll! And that is my kind of brunch- yum yum. Happy 2 years!!!!!!!!!
Erica recently posted..Vegetarian Carrot Soup

23 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com September 11, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Best pre-race fuel ever. A cookie?!?! Oh, snap! ;)

Looks like y’all had a blast! I think you made the right choice about running with your bro. Good times!

Congrats on two years! Whoop whoop!
Kristy @ KristyRuns.com recently posted..A Taste of Fall

24 Angela September 11, 2010 at 1:40 pm

way to go be-ben!!!!!!

25 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 11, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Congrats on the race and your blogiversary!

26 Tina September 11, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Congrats on two years! That’s so awesome. I feel like I’ve been blogging that long too since its become such a part of me. Then, when I thought about it – nope. Only about 7.5 months. LOL It sure is a fabulous thing. :)

And kudos to all of you on the race. You all did great.
Tina recently posted..30 days of self love – Perfection

27 Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward September 11, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Congrats on a great race, and happy blogiversary!!
Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward recently posted..Giada at Home

28 Tori September 11, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Your bother is really cute!! Feel free to tell him I said that :)

<3 Tori
Tori recently posted..Calling You Out

29 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] September 11, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Congrats on a great race & a great blog! =]
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..Cookie Friday- Triple Threats

30 Sana September 11, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I am do happy that stumbled on to your blog and have had the chance to meet you twice :)! Thanks for sharing your life and adventures with us :)!
Sana recently posted..Happy 100

31 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep September 11, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Great job to the whole family! If you could NOT tell Ben to keep his shirt on, I’d be okay with that. :)

32 Stacey @ The Habit of Healthy September 11, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Congrats on your two year blogging aniversary. And congrats to Ben on smashing his PR! It must be so nice to run races with family. :)

33 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels September 11, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Congrats on 2 years of blogging and a fantastic race! Way to go Meghann. :)

34 Ash Bear September 11, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Great job to each and every one of y’all!! You rocked it AND had fun in the process! :) Have a great day and go NOLES!

35 Jamie September 11, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Your bro is super cute! I beat my 5k PR today too!

36 melissa (fitnessnyc) September 11, 2010 at 8:32 pm

great story. I love seeing your whole family in on the action.
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..What to do in NYC early fall edition

37 Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy September 11, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Hey! I saw you guys this morning at the starting line! I wanted to say hey but was shy – you all are so fast!

I beat my PR by 4 minutes and hit 31:48 – those hills really got me, I had to walk up them b/c I’ve never trained on anything with any elevation before lol

It’s great how you all run as a family – such an inspiration :) Today was my fiancee’s very first race and he BEAT ME! It’s so much more fun when your loved ones are there to enjoy it with you!
Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy recently posted..Race Recap – Autumn Rock n Run 5K

38 Meghann September 11, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Congrats on the PR!

Next time you should say Hi! :)

39 Raya @ Raya Runs September 11, 2010 at 10:25 pm

I looked through all your pictures from the race to see if I was in the background of any (haha) but I’m not. Awesome job today!!!

40 Michelle September 11, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Congrats to you & your fellow runners! I came in at 35 minutes…not my best. I was standing by yall at the starting line, btw! :)
Michelle recently posted..New Blog

41 Cara September 11, 2010 at 11:04 pm

that is ridiculously fast for walking. I couldnt do that if I was doing my version of sprinting the whole time! haha.
Cara recently posted..Friday Fun