Going to Faint

by Meghann on September 10, 2010

Looks like the majority of you believe the girl should give the engagement ring back. And you know what? I agree! And so did the radio listeners. Per the rules of ‘side-takers’ the girl  will now have to return the $17,000 ring to her ex-fiance.

You should have heard the excitement in the guy’s voice when they told him!

In fairness he was the one that ended the engagement (she only ended the relationship when he said he didn’t want to marry her anymore), so my heart goes out to the girl, but it sounded like she was just keeping the ring to be petty. If the ridiculously expensive ring was keeping him in debt, then she should return it – what use would she have for it? At the very least if any deposits were made for the wedding that never happened on her part, he should use the money from the ring sale to pay those back.

Just my two cents.

I loved reading everyone else’s opinions! It also sparked some interesting threads on twitter. For instance: what do you think is the most important thing to spend money on at a wedding? Food? Photographer? Dress? Location? etc…

Ever since I saw a friend get burnt on photos (these pictures were awful – awful, awful, awful) I’ve been hell bent on making sure I nail down a great photographer for my future yet-to-have-a-ring-but-can-still-daydream-about wedding. Luckily I have am related to a pretty hotshot photographer who I know will cut me a deal. Right, Andrea? 😉 Check out her photos – THEY ROCK!

This morning I had a mini- Cashew Cookie Larabar as a snack.

IMG_8616

If I had known this would be my last item of food for a while I would have gone for a bigger snack.

Ten minutes before I was supposed to leave for lunch I was pulled into an impromtu hour and a half meeting. Umm… yeah. Three quarters of the way through it I felt my blood sugar drop and knew I was about to faint from hunger.

Luckily, my boss caught on that I was about to faint and offered up some cereal from her snack drawer to hold me over. The three of us in the room spent the last 30 minutes casually munching on Frosted Shredded Wheat right out of the box – I’m sure we would have been a sight to see to anyone who walked in the room. 🙂

When we were released I knew I needed something quick to eat, so instead of heading home I decided to finally used the Subway gift card I got from the Healthy Living Summit swag and made a quick run across the street to grab something to eat.

IMG_8618

I’m not the biggest fan of Subway because there are –in my opinion- way better places to grab a sub from in a pinch, but I’m cheap and when a meal is free, a meal is free. 🙂

I ordered a 6 in Turkey Combo with a side of chips and a drink.

IMG_8621

Not sure why I ordered the combo meal when all I was going to get was water.

IMG_8619

My 6 in Turkey had every veggies and a sweet onion sauce.

IMG_8622

Side of a new-to-me Parmesan and Italian Herb Baked Lays

IMG_8625

I was expecting these to resemble Sour Cream & Onion,. but the flavors were totally difference. These reminded me of a spicier chip and were a little to herby for my taste.

IMG_8626

Monica had given me this bag of Chocolate Nut Clusters at the Disney Marathon way back in January. I keep them at my desk and have slowly been eating my way through them.

IMG_8629

I had two when my Subway sub left me oddly unsatisfied after lunch.

IMG_8630

Time to get back to work!

Peace out!

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) September 10, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Haha loved the wedding talk this morning. Love that your boss has snax on hand too!

I keep forgetting I have that gift card. Subway is not my faaavorite place (I think I went there too often in HS) but I always like it okay once I have it in front of me.

2 Meredith September 10, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I recently got married (in June) and photography was a big thing for me to0! I know we will end up with great photos, but it has been almost 12 weeks since my wedding and I’ve only seen three pictures. So word to the wise, ask up front about how long you will have to wait to see them! I just assumed it would be a few weeks, month tops, and am now paying the price for not asking.

The other wedding items that were important to me were my dress, the flowers, and the food. I was really involved with the decision making for those items, but pretty much left the rest to my mom and wedding planner 🙂

3 Lindsey @ SoundEats September 10, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I got so burned out on Subway. I used to always hit it up in the UCF student union and then when I was vegan their veggie delight sans cheese became my standard fast food/ road trip meal. Let’s just say they’re not my first choice anymore. 😉

Re: weddings, I totally think you can make them work for cheap. I think spending more than a down payment on a house for any part of the wedding is absurd. We did our whole wedding for less than $5000, and everyone said it was one of the most fun, relaxed, elegant weddings they’d ever been to. Great food, too. 😉
Lindsey @ SoundEats recently posted..Life Lessons ala Sound Eats

4 Reenie September 10, 2010 at 4:28 pm

ITA with you Lindsey. I’d rather see a couple put the money on a downpayment on a house…..then to spend a lot of money on a wedding….even if they have it to spend.

5 kristy @ kristyruns.com September 10, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Good! I hope she actually gives the ring back him! 🙂
Those chocolate nut clusters sound yummy! Might need to try to make some myself…
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..A Taste of Fall

6 Sarah for Real September 10, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Good, glad that poor guy gets his ring back!

For me, wedding planning was simple. #1 set number of people, #2 set budget, #3 choose location based on those. I think it’s most important to have people there who matter to you, so setting a budget before you know your numbers is ridiculous. Lucky for me, I only had about 50 people who “really matter” which kept my costs low. I splurged on the location so I didn’t have to spend on decor, but saved by booking for Friday instead of Saturday. (BEST decision ever.)

7 Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 10, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Oh my gosh,what to spend the most on at a wedding?? That’s so tough! I would say the photog., cos the pics last forever..but then if your dress is skank and so on, you wouldn’t want them anyway! Toughie :s
Oohhhh, poor you at lunch! That is the worst feeling ever 🙁
Freya (Brit Chick Runs) recently posted..Whole Foods- Take Two

8 Kelly September 10, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I used to hate subway, but it is growing on me. I looked at those pics when u posted the link on twitter, they were awful.
Kelly recently posted..Thintervention

9 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 10, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Food is the only thing that matters at a wedding and the only thing worth going to a wedding for. Everything else is just fluff people use to show off. Your marriage will still be able to survive even if you don’t have chair covers or elaborate bonbonieri.
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..faces of beauty

10 Leah @ L4L September 10, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Now the real question IS – Is she actually going to give the ring back?!

I’m recently married and we def splurged on photography. I think second we splurged on food. I don’t regret either splurge. I do wish we had gotten a bigger cake though – ours was all gone! Oh well.

11 Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward September 10, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I definitely agree that a good photographer is key. I just got my pictures back and I have over 2,700 to look at! Also, I really think that weddings should have an open bar..

12 Meghann September 10, 2010 at 4:12 pm

agreed – open bar very important too!

13 CJ September 10, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Totally agree with Caitlin that an open bar is essential!

I can’t believe she even contemplated keeping a £17,000 engagement ring after the engagement was off. She loved him at some point and yet she was willing to keep him in debt over the ring – to me that just seems spiteful. Ah well, majority rules and the majority was right I think in this one!

– CJ
CJ recently posted..Weight loss foods

14 Julz September 10, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I just had a cashew cookie larabar too!

15 sweetersalt September 10, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Wedding planning is so stressful! Currently in the process, trying not to spend billions of dollars while still having it look nice! When we were given the estimate of $5000 for a buffet we basically choked. So, instead, we’re having a pizza party. No joke! We’re going to order really nice, gourmet pizza from a local place and make it fun. Then we’ll just hire a couple of waiters. No need to go broke over one day. As long as it’s nice, everyone has fun (read: booze and dancing!) and the photos are good I’ll be happy!

Laura

16 Carolyn @ lovinlosing September 10, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Ew, yeah…the Tuscan Herb Lay’s are nasty. But the Southwestern ones are awesome!! I haven’t found them anywhere but Subway, though.
Carolyn @ lovinlosing recently posted..Progress or lack there of

17 Chelsea at Striking Balance September 10, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with Subway. Sometimes I go and it’s great, and the next time I order the same thing, and I want to throw it out. Definitely on the fence with it, but it’s good in a pinch.
Chelsea at Striking Balance recently posted..Crazy

18 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 10, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Completely agree with the photographer comment! We are getting married next year and our biggest expense will be our photographers (we love them so much that we are flying them to our wedding location). To me, they are money well spent!

19 Erin September 10, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Not only should you find a good photographer, but you should make sure they are easy to work with. I had to fight mine and take her to the better business bureau! She wouldn’t respond to any emails or phone calls until I started leaving honest and mean comments online. Then she sent me a nasty email about my behavior! She also didn’t understand how upset I was that she didn’t even take a decent picture of me walking down the aisle. Lesson learned. 🙁
Erin recently posted..Small Changes

20 Brie @ Brie Fit September 10, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I’m obsessed with our wedding photographer/wedding photos–but you saw them earlier, so you know why! LOVE her.
Brie @ Brie Fit recently posted..Travel season

21 Stacey September 10, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Yeah, Subway sometimes leaves me feeling a bit unsatisfied too. But I’d much rather go there than a fast food place! I’m surprised you didn’t like the chips! I had them the other week and thought they were yummy 😀 Hope the rest of your day goes well! Yay for Friday!!
Stacey recently posted..My Most Memorable Exercise Moments

22 pinkflipflops September 10, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I have been wanting a hot Italian sub all day. I actually really like those chips and to wash it down with a dr. pepper.
pinkflipflops recently posted..Blog Fest 2010 Giveaways abound!

23 Tami September 10, 2010 at 4:01 pm

it was all about the cake for me! and that’s why my mother made 17 cakes…the centerpieces at all the tables were cake! and people could eat the cake whenever they wanted.

24 Meghann September 10, 2010 at 4:10 pm

LOVE that idea!!!

25 Jes September 10, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I think that when I actually get married, I will splurge on photography. I am in love with a local photographer’s work and she is expensive, but i think she will be soooooo worth it!

P.S. I am way happy about the new domain. Before our firewall at work flagged the site as drugs and alcohol (not quite sure on that one)… So not I can actually comment instead of just stalking! woo hoo!

26 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) September 10, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I am not a big fan of Subway either, but it is a quick, cheap place to grab something decent.
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..101

27 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 10, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I am so happy the listeners sided with the guy. There is no way a girl should be keeping a $17k ring from a guy she is not marrying.

I agree with you about Subway. They have this whole allure of healthiness, but unfortunately, they aren’t as wholesome as they seem (just check the ingredients in the bread).

Those chocolate clusters look yummy though!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Friday Happiness!

28 Caitlin (EatFeats) September 10, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I hope to not splurge on any part of my wedding, but I agree that good photography is important. And, um, good hair and make-up. I’m planning on enlisting all my artistic friends to make my wedding beautiful. I mean, I’m not even close to engaged, but that is only a minor setback.

I lurve subway. Their veggie subs are so darn tasty (even if it takes a full 12 inches to fill me up) and it smells like Doughy Heaven inside the restaurant!
Caitlin (EatFeats) recently posted..The difference between men and women

29 Julie @ Wearing Mascara September 10, 2010 at 4:18 pm

1. I, too, was disappointed with the parm and herb chips! I was expecting something totally different! They were spicy (to me). I guess I’m super sensitive to spice?

2. Subway is great and all, but I always feel unsatisfied after as well. Very annoying…

Happy Friday!
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..Blog advertising networks

30 Jen September 10, 2010 at 4:26 pm

You should put: “Go Big or Go Home” on your shirt!!!
You have been using that phrase lately so it fits! Its also a favorite of a good friend of mine so it just makes me smile when I hear it/see it.

31 Courtney September 10, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I’d love to meet up! I live near Chicago so I’m up for anything! Red Mango and Foodlife are the best 🙂
Courtney recently posted..Fruity Cuties

32 Elizabeth September 10, 2010 at 4:54 pm

For my make believe wedding I’d spend the most money on the honeymoon to some exotic local… and the food. I live to travel. But it seems like the things I most remember about the weddings I’ve been to are the food and the dancing. So a delicious spread is definitely a must since it’s definitely a day to indulge and let loose.

33 Lee September 10, 2010 at 6:34 pm

When I got married, I thought the photographer was the most important thing. I wanted nice pictures to remember the day by.
Lee recently posted..Musings on Running

34 Lish September 10, 2010 at 6:36 pm

If I ever do get married then splurging on a good photographer will be priority. I recently saw two friends with absolutely HORRIBLE wedding photos posted on Facebook. One wasn’t really aware that her photos were bad because she can’t take a good photo to save her life, but they honestly were terrible. They were shot off center and blurry and not in the cute/artsy way. And even if you do have a good friend who is an amazing photographer, make sure said friend has had prior wedding experience or else you might get some, ummm, interesting shots and shots that are all pretty much the same. My brother and sis-in-law learned this last August when they had their good friend shoot the wedding as her gift to them but had never actually done a wedding. She was attached to the bride at the hip, basically, since she was actually her good childhood friend, and my sis-in-law ended up with thousands of pix that were almost exactly the same and very very little of her guests. She also realized that during all of the hoopla, they never staged pictures that included both sets of parents and siblings. She does not have one single picture of her and my brother with her siblings or them with me.

35 kirsten September 10, 2010 at 7:18 pm

17k for a ring!! that is ridiculous!! My ring was about $700 (very real looking synthetic stone) and I love it. I do plan to have the stone replaced with a real one eventually but it will be no where near 17k! I think anything over $2-3k is too much. My wedding is in 3 weeks and I think food, a photographer and an open bar are the best places to splurge.

36 amanda September 10, 2010 at 8:05 pm

i bought those same bag of chips at subway thinking they’d be like sour cream and onion. sadly, i was disappointed! there was something off about them that my taste buds just didn’t dig.
amanda recently posted..its still too hot

37 Lauren September 10, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Oh what a major bummer about the impromptu meeting right around lunch hour. I hate when that happens! It really doesn’t effect your thinking when you are hungry so hopefully, the meeting still went okay.
Lauren recently posted..Many Mishaps

38 Carly (Swim, Run, Om) September 10, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Pffft, it would be all about the dress for me. Guests can bring their own liquor. 😉
Carly (Swim, Run, Om) recently posted..Establishing a routine

39 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 11, 2010 at 8:28 am

Photography is definitely one of the biggest things for a wedding in my opinion. I want amazing pictures that we can look back on… But then again I love photography so maybe that’s why? Second would be good food. 🙂
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..Progress!!

40 Andrea September 11, 2010 at 10:30 am

Thanks for the mention, Meghann! And yes, of course you get the ‘friends-and-family’ discount! 🙂

41 Alice September 11, 2010 at 4:25 pm

$17K for a ring? Wow. I hope it was pretty!

Have you had your blood sugar checked out by a doctor? You had breakfast and a snack before the meeting, so while I can understand being hungry for lunch, it seems a little disconcerting that you felt like you were going to faint.

42 Cara September 11, 2010 at 11:40 pm

for some reason I love me a plain subway sandwich. but I definitely think there are better sandwiches out there. and I definitely hate those impromptu meetings.
Cara recently posted..Friday Fun