more ยป" />

An Early Taste of Fall

by Meghann on September 9, 2010

Totally burnt the popcorn at work this afternoon

Yep, I was one of those people.

That’s what I get for popping an expired bag of popcorn that still looked deflated when it was done. FYI: a deflated bag is still a fully popped bag. Oh well.

I was mentally preparing my meals for the rest of the week when it dawned on me that this week only has one day left in it. I keep forgetting that today is Thursday and tomorrow is Friday. This short week has really flown by!

Tonight’s dinner was simple, delicious, and took advantage of the plethora of veggies I have in my fridge.

I roasted a parsnip, carrot, 1/2 a beet, mushrooms, and okra for 15 minutes at 420 degree in the oven with a little salt and pepper.

While those were roasting I had a pan of chickpeas doing the same thing in a pan right above them. Only the chickpeas had been coated with a little evoo, chili pepper, and salt.

A side of microwavable wild rice.

I brought everything together with some north carolina bbq sauce, pumpkin seeds, and raisins.

I should have took a photo of everything all mixed up because that’s how I really ate it and enjoyed every bite. This meal reminded me of fall and had me really excited about it! ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_8577.jpg

Dessert this evening came in the form of an Attune Chocolate Bar and a YumUniverse Fruit Leather from the HLS swag bag.

The fruit leather tasted just like a fruit roll-up. It was fruity, sticky and apparently can be easily made at home. I’ll have to follow the instructions on the packaging and check out YumUniverse.com to find out how. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Pillsbury Sweet Moments Giveaway

and the winner is…..

Screen shot 2010-09-09 at 9.41.12 PM.png

Congrats Kacy! Send me an e-mail at mealsandmiles@gmail.com with your information and I’ll get your prize pack to ya! ๐Ÿ™‚

Tomorrow begins at the gym – can’t wait.

Good Night! ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) September 9, 2010 at 9:54 pm

That fruit leather didn’t last passed the haunted hotel for me! I loved that thing. I have had ALL of those veggies the last couple days. Root veggies rock.
Allie (Live Laugh Eat) recently posted..Checkinโ€™ Outta Rehab

2 maria @ Chasing the Now September 9, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I love how you used up leftover veggies in your dinner. It’s something I need to do more often, but is hard with a pick husband.

3 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com September 9, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Now I really want to roast veggies, especially because they scream fall! I like the photos of your food pre-mixing, so gorgeous! ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 9, 2010 at 10:17 pm

I love dinners with roasted/mixed veggies! Yours looks delicious.

I also love how you took a picture of your burned popcorn ๐Ÿ™‚ Did you eat it after?
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Roasted Red Pepper and Eggplant Pesto Pasta

5 Meghann September 9, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Yep, I proudly announced that I had burnt the popcorn then I proceeded to eat it ๐Ÿ™‚

6 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 10, 2010 at 12:38 am

Ha, good work. The last time I made popcorn at my law school (back in spring), I completely burned mine. Unfortunately, the microwave I was using was in a plaza like area, so everyone kept muttering under their breath about it smelling like burned popcorn. oops ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels September 9, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Your dinner looks perfect for fall. I’m craving roasted veggies now. YUM! ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Rebekah @ Rebeltarian September 9, 2010 at 10:29 pm

I am constatly buring popcorn at work. I don’t think I have popped with without burining it in over a year.
Rebekah @ Rebeltarian recently posted..Tandoori Turkeyโ€ฆBurgers

9 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 9, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Tasty dinner indeed!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..A fitness announcement

10 Bee Goes Bananas September 9, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Burning popcorn is so sad! You get all excited and can smell the yummy popcorn popping away and then bam, it’s burnt. ๐Ÿ™

11 Elizabeth September 9, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Pumpkin seeds! I am currently obsessing with anything pumpkin. Check out the pumpkin pancakes I had for breakfast this morning http://www.lifewithalittlekick.com/2010/09/enthusiam-is-contagious.html
Elizabeth recently posted..Enthusiam is Contagious

12 Sana September 9, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Congrats Kacy!!! You rocked this week esp after coming back from vacy!!
Sana recently posted..Happy 100

13 Lauren September 10, 2010 at 6:58 am

I love your mish mosh dishes! I am the exact same way. I often just throw everything into a pan that sounds good in my head and 99% of the time, it turns out fantastic!

Hope you had a great night.
Lauren recently posted..Many Mishaps

14 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 10, 2010 at 8:40 am

The best way to not burn popcorn is to listen. THere should be 3 seconds between pops.
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..faces of beauty

15 Naomi(onefitfoodie) September 10, 2010 at 8:58 am

haha one of THOSE people! i love it because you can smell burnt popcorn for HOURS after it happens. love that

16 Summer September 10, 2010 at 9:23 am

I burnt a Fiber One toaster pastry at work once…you think burnt popcorn is bad, try facing an office full employees forced to put up with the smell of scorched sugar all morning.

17 Maggie @ Munching to Mend September 10, 2010 at 9:59 am

I am so happy I just found your blog! It’s such a nice layout and is super inspiring for me as a new blogger to create something that can hopefully be half as cool looking! I also loooove the looks of that leftover veggie dinner you put together-I’ve recently started a mostly vegetarian diet to help with my arthritis and have been struggling to come up with ideas for protein other than tofu. I LOVE chickpeas, but never quite knew what to do with them, and I also love raisins…so I may be recreating your dish very soon! Love that it is so perfect for fall ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Katy September 10, 2010 at 10:37 am

When I was working at WESH, I burned my popcorn and the entire place had to be evacuated. Alarms going off, the whole nine. So embarrassing.
Katy recently posted..Before

19 kate September 10, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Im still holding onto my fruit leather, but the Attune chocolate was delicious!

20 BroccoliHut September 10, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Haha, this post reminds me of all the times I burnt popcorn in my dorm room in college, and my roommate gave me the stinkeye for the rest of the day:)
BroccoliHut recently posted..A Food Network Education

21 candi September 10, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Is your fork a ‘knork’?! I love knorks!