more ยป" />

Last Bit of Sightseeing

by Meghann on September 7, 2010

Monday morning was a sad morning because we knew it would be our last morning in the cit with our friends.

When Derek and I booked our tickets to New York City a couple of months ago we tried to make the most we could out of our trip by coming in early on Friday and leaving later on Monday. This gave us a full four days to explore and meant Monday wasn’t left feeling rushed and wasted.

In fact, we were even able to sleep in for once. No early runs, no races, and no early flights? This concept felt so foreign to me.

After a leisurely morning we headed to the cutest cafe near Ashley and Bo’s place for a late breakfast.

I told Ashley I was in the mood for a light, sweet breakfast and she was able to deliver flawlessly. Irving Place in an adorable cafe with fresh gourmet coffee, organic teas, fresh pasteries, and about every other adorable thing you would come to expect from a cafe in the city.

I ordered the homemade granola with yogurt and fresh berries as well as a cup of hot early grey tea that is pictured above.

All together

Exactly what I was craving. ๐Ÿ™‚

Monday was our planned catch up day for everything we had missed thus far.

First up on our agenda: taking Derek to the Brooklyn Bridge.

We had run by this area Saturday morning, but I was dying to go back with Derek by my side and my DSLR in hand ๐Ÿ™‚

Our lovely hosts. ๐Ÿ™‚

We paid a visit to Jacques Torres and Derek and I split a piece of chocolate bark.

Umm… it was alright. Good, but nothing special like I was expecting. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hello Grimaldi’s! Too bad you weren’t open and had a line around the block. :/

TIme to walk the bridge!

IMG_8295.jpg

Per Derek’s request we headed to Kats Deli for lunch.

Derek knows Katz from his beloved Man v Food, but it was also made famous in the “I’ll have what she’s having” scene from When Harry Met Sally.

The place was packed!

You were handed a ticket when you walked in the door then sent to a sprawled out deli counter where you ordered your sandwich straight from the meat cutter.

The choices were simple meat, meat, and more meat served on rye with a side of pickles and a little mustard if you so wished.

When in Rome you must do what the Romans do and when in a deli full of fresh cut sandwiches, you must order what the locals do. Go big or go home, right? )

I had 1/2 of a Beef Brisket Sandwich on Rye with Mustard.

The meat was served hot and overflowing. I poured half of the meat off and followed Bo’s lead by adding a generous portion of coleslaw to the sandwich. The results were amazing. When in Rome, right? Because those Romans are pretty damn smart!

My half of a sandwich was served with Pickles and a Side Salad.

Fresh pickles are my favorite. So crispy with just the right amount of salty brine. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thick cut french fries are another favorite of mine. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had samples of the boy’s corn beef and pastrami and both were fabulous. This is definitely a place I know my Dad would love!

The great NYC Cupcake hunt of 2010 proceeded after lunch. Apparently all the really good local cupcake places are closed on labor day. ๐Ÿ™

After a couple of failed attempts at various cupcake places around the city, we found success at Magnolia Bakery and snagged a couple of cupcakes for the plane.

Then our trip had to come to an end. ๐Ÿ™

58530_1317317587813_1676948544_612919_5087987_n.jpg

I first met Ashley back in February when we instantly clicked over a freezing 5k around Central Park. Since then I’ve had the distinct pleasure of seeing her again in Washington DC and in Chicago.

Ashley is fun, out going, and can chat it up with just about anybody – we’re basically two peas in a pods! – so when she offered an open invitation to visit when ever we wanted, I knew it was an invitation we could not turn down.

This weekend has been amazing! Ashley and Bo have officially turned into my two favorite people. They showed us a side of the city we could only see from two residents and showed us a good time while doing so. I already miss them!

Thanks again Ashley and Bo for being our hosts! I promise this will not be the last time we see each other!

Derek and I boarded the bus to the airport and I promptly passed out in the surprisingly comfy seat. The word exhausted doesn’t even begin to cover it.

I was hoping to grab a salad for dinner, but our terminal was seriously lacking any place that carried a fresh looking salad.

Instead I hit up Jamba Juice and had a Passion Fruit Tea.

IMG_2797.jpg

And a Mediterranean Flatbread.

Continental sort of redeemed itself from our last flight by offering up free in seat entertainment this time around.

Letters to Juliet was cute, but definitely a movie I’m happy I didn’t pay for. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cupcakes!

I love Magnolia’s icing!

Then it was home sweet home!

I slept like a rock last night!

Now, a new work day is upon us. Let’s hope it’s an easy one. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com September 7, 2010 at 7:18 am

Glad you had such a wonderful 4 days! ๐Ÿ™‚ Yesterday looked like a good day of eats (minus the meat-filled sandwich). ๐Ÿ˜‰ And those cupcakes look HUGE! …the way they should always be.

2 maria @ Chasing the Now September 7, 2010 at 7:19 am

Looks like a perfect last day in the city! ๐Ÿ™‚

3 britchickruns September 7, 2010 at 7:20 am

Wowzer, what a day – you sure packed it in! This just makes me want to go to NYC even moreee!!
I ran with Ashley on the last day of the HLS – you’re right, she is lovely!

4 Elizabeth September 7, 2010 at 7:56 am

Wow you had so much fun in NYC! I’ll have to check out magnolia bakery next time in town. I’m loyal to Burgers and Cupcakes but I’ll have to stray for a bit.

5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 7, 2010 at 8:16 am

Jacques Torres’ chocolat was only alright? what a let down.

6 Jillian @reshapeyourlife September 7, 2010 at 8:33 am

Seems like you got the perfect New York experience! Glad your travels were easy and safe. I prefer Continental to some other airlines… (cough cough..American Airlines!) They are one of the few who have great customer service and still offer free food (not great food, but I appreciate the offer.) Although onboard entertainment is definitely their downfall.

7 amanda September 7, 2010 at 9:10 am

what a great new york trip! you definitely look like you got your money’s worth!

i loveeeee alice’s tea cup. it’s just so cute.

bummer on all the cupcake places being closed. what’s up with that? good thing magnolia came to the rescue! and booo, grimaldi’s is ALWAYS packed.

8 Kiran September 7, 2010 at 9:26 am

Great photos! I was hoping to visit NYC myself coming October, but looks like it has to be Philly for a change. I love the Big Apple and hope to visit the awesome places you’ve recommended. Soon ๐Ÿ™‚

9 gingerbreadcake September 7, 2010 at 9:38 am

It sounds like you had a wonderful time in NYC! YUM all of that food looks quite tasty. ๐Ÿ™‚

10 runningwithsass September 7, 2010 at 9:38 am

what a fun last day! those cupcakes look amazing! so sad your trip is over!

11 Kelly September 7, 2010 at 9:57 am

I love NYC! I feel like I get the best of it because my boyfriend lives there and I don’t feel like a tourist, but I don’t ahve to pay rent!

12 lowandbhold September 7, 2010 at 10:19 am

I didn’t know Jamba had tea and flatbreads now. Cool!

Looks like an amazing trip filled with terrific friends and food.

13 Sarah @ EatRunGarden September 7, 2010 at 10:41 am

It looks like you had a great time in New York. It’s always sad when vacations come to an end but that’s also what makes them so great at the beginning, because you aren’t always on vacation.
Your trip definitely makes me want to go visit NYC soon.

14 Nancy @ The Wife of a Dairyman September 7, 2010 at 10:56 am

What a fun trip and great food! I’m hungry now.
Hey does Continental offer wifi on their flights?

15 Meghann September 7, 2010 at 10:59 am

They don’t ๐Ÿ™ but they did offer power outlets oddly enough

16 Mary September 7, 2010 at 11:08 am

Looks like you had an amazing time in the city! ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 7, 2010 at 11:27 am

What a trip!!! NYC is definitely one of the most amazing cities in this country, for sure!

18 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 7, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Aww, I love New York. Looks like you had fabulous weather and a good time with friends. The cupcake looks so good!

19 strawberrysuitcase September 7, 2010 at 1:45 pm

what a perfect weekend for NYC — it was just beautiful everywhere. glad you got some free TV on the way home.

20 biz319 September 7, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I can only dream of going to that deli someday – corned beef is my absolute favorite sandwich!

Glad you guys made it home safe and had such a great time!

21 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com September 7, 2010 at 3:26 pm

i love the green sweater!!! <3 you are so adorable!
btw its so neat how ur granola and yogurt and berries were all served in seperate bowls/containers instead of mixed..that way u can totally add things together as you please.

and i LOVE early grey tea <3 <3

22 Christine September 7, 2010 at 3:44 pm

hi! I found your site through Ms. Celery! It sounds like you had a really fabulous trip to the City! You certainly hit some really great landmarks, like Katz Deli and the Brooklyn Bridge and whatnot! It’d be easy to eat your way through NYC, huh? Glad you had fun!!

23 Ada September 7, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Irving 71 used to be the cool hangout place back when I was in highschool. I would see Uma Therma and Susan Sarandon there almost everyday!

I’m glad you had such a nice trip, it was so fun to see you again!!!

24 Sana September 7, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Ahhh! That cupcake is calling meee!

25 Katy September 7, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Looks like you had a great time in NYC!! You should definitely check out Sugar Sweet Sunshine Cupcakes the next time you come here. They rock! I had them delivered to my sisters dorm when she went to FIT, they were a hit!

26 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 7, 2010 at 7:44 pm

I’m glad you got to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. It’s my favorite spot in the city.

27 blissfulhope September 7, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Magnolia’s Bakery = Love <3

28 Kristen September 7, 2010 at 8:55 pm

OMG, did you have to post close-up’s of the cupcakes?! Now I’m craving one. I bet the chocolate is divine ๐Ÿ™‚ I have the Magnolia Bakery t-shirt in brown…perfect tee for running!

29 myFOODevents September 7, 2010 at 9:15 pm

OMG the flatbread looks phenomenal!!

30 Cassie September 20, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I love the pictures on the bridge and those cupcakes look divine!