more ยป" />

WTC Run to Freedom 5K

by Meghann on September 6, 2010

Most people would think running a 5k the day after a 20 miler may seem a little crazy, but certainly not I. ;)

Ok…. maybe a little crazy.

When I was first proposed with the idea of running a 5k while I was in New York City it wasn’t even a question of saying no, it was Yes! Yes! Yes! all the way. I immediately registered and thought nothing of it. That is until yesterday – as I was hobbling around Chinatown – it dawned on me that maybe registering for a 5k the day after 20 miles wasn’t the smartest decision ever made. Oopss..

I was blinded by the bright lights of race bibs, t-shirts, and running in a city I love and rarely get to see. Sure this race was going to be tough, but who says I had to make a bigger deal then it needs to be? Some races are meant just for fun and this race was going to be one of them! :)

IMG_4819.jpg

The racing committee did a fabulous job keeping this race casual for us by not having the race start until 10:00 am. This gave our group ample time to sleep in (until 7:00) and grab a real breakfast before heading to race site.

IMAG0097.jpg

Derek and I split an egg and cheese sandwich on an everything bagel on the taxi ride over.

IMAG0099.jpg

mmm…. cheesy.

I wasn’t aware until that morning that the race wasn’t actually in Manhattan, but instead on Governor’s Island just a ferry ride a way from downtown. I’m not sure I have ever taken a ferry from NYC, it was a fun added bonus to this adventure.

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

We randomly ran into Dierdre and Amelia from Highways To Health on the ride over. It’s a small city after all!

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0109.jpg

IMG_4830_thumb.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

Governor’s Island is a beautiful tiny island right off of Manhattan. We ran into someone that used to live on Governor’s Island when he was in the Coast Guard and it was fun to hear his stories on how living on the island used to be. He said it was great to wake up every morning and have the statue of liberty to your left and have the former World Trade Centers to your right.

IMG_4840.jpg

IMAG0133.jpg

In 1996 the coast guard left and the National Park Service took over, now a days the city of NYC owns the island and is trying to breathe life back into place with free concerts and festivals very weekend.

IMAG0112.jpg IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

The race was very casual. There were chips, but no fancy starting line or corrals. A recording of the National Anthem was played then a man shouted in a microphone “Go!” I actually prefer small races like this. It keeps it fun and pressure free.

IMAG0121.jpg IMAG0123.jpg

My goal from the beginning was just to have fun with this race and I knew I would have the most fun running along side Derek.

IMAG0125.jpg

He’s had a rough couple of weeks with running and I knew he would need that extra support.

IMAG0126.jpg

Turns out Derek didn’t need my support at all – he did awesome. He didn’t stop once, never complained, and kept solid 10 minute miles the entire time. It was like he was a whole new running man.

IMAG0128.jpg

After a 3.1 mile loop around the island the finish line seemed to appear out of nowhere. One last final push and we crossed the finish line together just under 31 minutes.

IMAG0129.jpg

I was so proud of my little runner. :)

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

I enjoyed a juicy post-race peach.

IMAG0130.jpg

IMG_4848_thumb.jpg

Ferry back to the city.

IMAG0135.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

After the race we headed to The Meatball Shoppe in the Lower East Side.

IMAG0139.jpg

Ashely had just visited The Meatball Shoppe with her parents the weekend before and could not stop raving about it. We were all super exited to try it after hearing so many great things about it.

IMAG0143.jpg

The place is definitely an experience. You pick your balls, your sauce, and how you want it served.

IMAG0141.jpg

I selected the Veggie Balls with Tomato Sauce over a bed of greens.

IMAG0144.jpg

The veggie balls were amazing. They were lentil heavy, crumbly, and full of flavor. The sauce was also thick and rich.

IMAG0148.jpg

The group shared a plethora of sides and i believe we all agreed the polenta was by far our favorite. :)

IMAG0147.jpg

After a great lunch we did a little exploring and headed back to the apartment. Nothing like a casual afternoon to make a wonderful vacation even better. :)

P.S. Besides one or stolen pics from Ashley, the majority of these photos were shot with my droid. How freaking awesome is that?!?!

1 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 6, 2010 at 9:24 am

Awesome job on the run!! Ashley told me about that restaurant yesterday and now I’m dying to go. And I have that same Lululemon tank top!!

2 Jillian @reshapeyourlife September 6, 2010 at 9:27 am

That looks like a fun laid back race! I wish I was strong enough to sign up for 5ks to just enjoy. lol I’ll get there!

What a way to make full use of your vacation! And those meatballs look amazing!

3 christina cadden September 6, 2010 at 9:31 am

Good job on the race!

4 gingerbreadcake September 6, 2010 at 9:32 am

Great job on the race, I’m so proud of you! :) And mmmm that restaurant looks tasty. By the way Meghann, I’m having a Barney Butter giveaway on my blog, I hope you’ll enter. :)

5 Kristy@ KristyRuns.com September 6, 2010 at 9:54 am

A 10 am start time?!?! That’s amazing. Especially if it’s really chill-tastic, and it sounds like it was. And way to go, Derek!

6 Ada September 6, 2010 at 10:14 am

Yum, I love the new Meatball Shop! I’m glad you got to try it while you were in the city. It was so nice to see you again yesterday!!! Have a safe trip home:)

7 veganwhoopies September 6, 2010 at 10:48 am

Lol you guys look totally bad ass in that top pic! It looks like you had a beautiful day for the race and a wonderful vacation!

8 Erin September 6, 2010 at 11:06 am

A friend keeps raving about the meatball place — I thought I wouldn’t like it until he pulled up the menu and showed all the options. Yum!

9 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 6, 2010 at 11:11 am

It was so great meeting you yesterday! I’m glad you had a great run and that you are enjoying your time in the city.

I’m happy you got to try out the Meatball Shoppe. It’s one of my favorite places. :)

10 runningwithsass September 6, 2010 at 11:14 am

that race sounds so fun! good job! looks like a beautiful day!

11 Emilyeatsclean September 6, 2010 at 11:17 am

Looks like fun!!! Great cell phone pics too!

12 susan@momswimbikerun September 6, 2010 at 11:19 am

I’m glad you let yourself HAVE FUN!!! Seems like we put so much pressure on ourselves at races. Good to sit back and really ENJOY the run!

13 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 6, 2010 at 11:19 am

Sounds like a fun day! And I am really impressed with the cell phone pics!! Guess we don’t always need our fancy cameras after all :)

14 Tina September 6, 2010 at 11:39 am

Looks like even more fun added to the trip. And kudos to Derek!

15 Bobbi September 6, 2010 at 11:59 am

Great pics! Can’t wait to see you in a month!!!!

16 theprocessofhealing September 6, 2010 at 12:24 pm

The race sounds like fun!! I cannot WAIT to be able to race again!!

17 Aidan September 6, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I have just signed up for my first maraton (Disney!) and now your running posts are extra exciting to read! I need to go back and read all your race/training posts! Do you have a post with tips for first-time marathoners?

18 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 6, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Lady, you are hardcore!! glad you enjoyed the 5k and a big well done to Derek. :)

19 Sana September 6, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I have really been enjoying your NY recaps!!! Derek did an awesome job!!!!

20 What Kate Ate September 6, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Post race peach sounds like the way to do it! Glad youre having a blast in NYC!

21 Katie September 6, 2010 at 4:21 pm

HOLY YUMM!!! That egg sandwich looks delicious! I love cheesy things like that, mmm!!

22 Lisa @ bakebikeblog September 6, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Congrats on the race to you both! And what a lovely location to run at!

23 tropicaleats September 6, 2010 at 6:28 pm

droid love! <3

looks like a fun race :)

24 Faith September 6, 2010 at 7:23 pm

What a MAYJAH vacation! I can’t wait till I’m able to fund a trip back to NYC!

25 Halley (Blunder Construction) September 6, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I think running a 5k in NYC would be so fun, especially with weather like that!! Seems like the perfect morning to me (minus the running 20 miles the day before part!)

26 Mac September 6, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Wow your Droid took awesome pictures! The race looks and sounds like it was a lot of fun!

27 Denise September 7, 2010 at 11:50 am

There was JUST a special about The Meatball Shoppe YESTERDAY on one of the food channels! I was thinking how awesome that must be!

28 Virginia September 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Finally made it to the meatball shop this weekend! Amazing as you said! Your friends Ashley & Bo definitely know their way around NYC. You hit some of my favorite places and it looks like you had a blast!