more ยป" />

NYC Baby!

by Meghann on September 3, 2010

Welcome to New York City! ๐Ÿ™‚

My home away from home!

Well… not really, but I can pretend for now. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Fun Fact: This isn’t mine and Derek’s first trip to NYC together. We traveled with a group of friends to the city back in August of 2006

73.jpg

It was Derek’s first time in NYC and my first time traveling with friends instead of my family. We had a BLAST!

41.jpg

I can’t believe our trip was over four years ago now! Or that Derek and I have known each other for 5 years this year!

For those of you unfamiliar with our history – and I apologize for those who have heard it a million times – Derek and I met back in college. We dated for a little over a year back in 05/06 before he graduated and moved back home a year before I did. We eventually lost touch, but reconnected a couple of years ago at a FSU homecoming game.

CIMG3550.JPG

Go Noles!

Now here we are, four years after our original trip to NYC, back and ready for more.

I think NYC will always have a special place in our hearts as our first trip together. ๐Ÿ™‚

Since then we’ve been to San Diego, New Orleans, San Francisco, the Bahamas, etc. We are one traveling pair!

We had an early flight this morning, which meant one early wake up call! I’m not sure human beings are meant to be up 4:00 am. Unless they’re heading out to run a marathon, then it’s totally acceptable. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Luckily, everything went smoothly time wise and we made it to our gate just as they were beginning to board.

Don’t worry, I had ample time for a quick run to Starbucks before our row was called.

I couldn’t help myself, I heard Pumpkin Spice was back and I just had to see for myself that it was true! ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_2767.jpg

I ordered a grande non-fat awake tea latte with one pump of pumpkin spice. (a combination that always get compliments from the barista serving it to me)

Dear lord it was good! I forgot how much I love pumpkin flavored things. ๐Ÿ™‚ Amen for the start of pumpkin season! Now bring on the pumpkin scones, pumpkin yogurt, pumpkin pie, and pumpkin milkshakes. Yippee!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

To say our flight was a bit cramped would be an understatement.

IMG_2770.jpg

We were seated in the back row in what I swear was the tiniest rows/seats of the plane. We are both pretty small built people and felt squished and uncomfortable the entire time. I couldn’t imagine what it would have been like if we were slightly taller or slightly heavier. Not cool Continental!

At least the plane had in seat entertainment. (for a fee)

If only we could get some onboard WiFi up in here as well. Onboard wifi is like crack, once you fly once with it, you’re always jonsing for more. Strike 2 Continental.

Last night I had packed both Derek and myself breakfast for the flight.

For him I packed plain peanut butter and jelly with some granola and chocolate chips.

For myself, I packed an almond butter & fig quesadilla with granola and chocolate chips.

This sounded good and looked good, but the taste was totally off.

I’m not sure figs were meant to go on sandwiches (or with nut butter). The squishy texture was a bit much and I had to gag my last few bites down. I wouldn’t suggest attempting this same combo at home. Live and learn, right?

Thanks to Earl our flight had a bit of turbulence, but we survived. ๐Ÿ™‚ After landing it was just a hop, skip, and a jump to our final desitnation.

Derek and I will be crashing at the lovely and talented Ashley of Healthy Happier Bear and her husband Bo’s beautiful NYC apartment for the weekend.

We were welcomed with waters and much needed gum (we both had stank breath) THANKS ASHLEY!

And cookies!

Derek and I split this amazing cookie and it tasted like straight up butter, but in a good way. Yum. ๐Ÿ™‚

Derek and I have big plans for the weekend. Time to get exploring!!

1 tropicaleats September 3, 2010 at 10:24 am

ahhhh have fun girly!! ๐Ÿ™‚ can’t wait to keep up with your recaps in the big city

2 Ilana September 3, 2010 at 10:26 am

Have fun in my city!!! I think figs go well on sandwiches that you eat right away, otherwise they do start to take on that gaggy texture. Lesson learned ๐Ÿ™‚

3 Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) September 3, 2010 at 10:26 am

Welcome to the city! You should definitely go to the semi-secret froyo shop at Bloomingdale’s (7th floor). Their peanut butter and plain flavors are the BEST I’ve ever had. Plus portions are huge!

4 Carly (Swim, Run, Om) September 3, 2010 at 10:27 am

Aww, your photos are so cute! Have a great weekend – how fun to be in NYC!

5 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com September 3, 2010 at 10:29 am

Have fun!!

6 Olivia @ Blissful Runner September 3, 2010 at 10:33 am

My first trip with my now-husband was to NYC too! I’m also heading up there this weeknd — this time with friends. I wish I could meet you all for fro-yo, but I don’t think it’s in the cards! ๐Ÿ™

7 Leianna September 3, 2010 at 10:33 am

Flying seems to get more expensive lately but you are getting less and less out of it!
Can’t wait to get some pumpkin spice coffee/tea from Starbucks ASAP, so fall like and comforting!

8 Nancy @ The Wife of a Dairyman September 3, 2010 at 10:44 am

Looks like it’s going to be a great trip! You’re right about wifi and flying….once you have it, you want it on every flight!

9 gingerbreadcake September 3, 2010 at 10:59 am

Have a great trip! Your breakfast looks so tasty!

10 Stacey September 3, 2010 at 11:06 am

Have fun girlie! Can’t wait to read about the rest of your trip!!! And you and Derek=cute story ๐Ÿ˜‰

11 Sarah @ Going on Goals September 3, 2010 at 11:17 am

I am soo impressed/surprised you got food through security!! How did you do it?
Have a great trip!

12 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 3, 2010 at 11:35 am

Yay NYC!! Can’t wait to see you Sunday- hope you enjoy your day here!!

13 Ellen September 3, 2010 at 11:58 am

one of my favorite sandwiches is a fig, proscuitto and cheese panini. don’t write them off completely!

have fun in NYC!

14 Kelly September 3, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Loveeeeee NYC, my boyfriend lives there so it really is like my home away from home!

15 Amelia September 3, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Welcome to NYC!! Hope you guys have a great time. ๐Ÿ™‚

16 VeggieGirl September 3, 2010 at 12:21 pm

YAHOO!!! I’ll be awaiting your text messages ๐Ÿ˜‰

17 Kristy@ KristyRuns.com September 3, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I am 5’10.5″ tall. Flying is not fun and leg cramps are assumed to occur. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Have fun!!!

18 Lizz @ Leading the Good Life September 3, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Have an awesome trip! I lived in NYC for 5 years and absolutely loved it. I’ve been dying to visit lately!

19 Kristen September 3, 2010 at 1:09 pm

YAY for NYC and pumpkin spice lattes! Oh, and Labor Day weekend!!!

20 Kerri September 3, 2010 at 1:16 pm

could this be an engagement weekend???

21 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 3, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Hope you are having an awesome time!

22 Jillian @reshapeyourlife September 3, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Have fun in new york!! It’s awesome that you and Derek got a second chance!

You can tell that you have grown up as a person since 2006 and become more comfortable in your own skin. You look gorgeous! That’s totally inspiring!

23 Julie September 3, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I was just thinking I needed a coffee or tea- and then you mention a ‘grande non-fat awake tea latte with one pump of pumpkin spice’! Of course I ran out and got one, and it was so good! Now I have to stop myself from ordering one of those every day. It’s going to be tough.

24 Lisa September 3, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Someday I will go to NY. I love seeing everyone’s pictures!

25 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 3, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Have a good holiday weekend!

26 Caroline September 3, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I’m highly amused that my eye immediately went to the GT plate in the photo of Derek on the couch. Go Jackets!!!

27 theprocessofhealing September 3, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I think your story is so sweet!! And I LOVE NYC!

28 Caitlin September 3, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I love that picture of you and Derek at the FSU game, so cute! Also…soooo psyhed for college football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29 Page September 3, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I’m new to your blog and love it! I had to get that same drink at Starbucks today because it sounded so good. It’s my new favorite, so thank you for that!!

30 runningwithsass September 3, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I hate turbulance! glad you made it, have fun!

31 Tina September 3, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Have fun! I’ve never been to NYC and would love to go!

32 Lauren September 3, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I love your story of you and Derek, I could hear it over and over. ๐Ÿ˜‰ have a blast rekindling in NYC!

33 Rachael September 3, 2010 at 9:13 pm

It’s almost impossible not have fun – or at least be very, very entertained – in NYC. Hard to believe I haven’t been in my home city in over a year!
Enjoy your trip!

34 Amanda September 3, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Hope you have a great weekend!

I like Awake tea (but never had the latte)…and I like Pumpkin Spice Lattes… I didn’t know you could (or ever think to) combine tea + a flavor shot. Iiinteresting…

We just flew on Continental a couple weeks ago (we belong to their One Pass program for the whole 1-2 times a year we fly… at my slow rate, I am soon to earn a free domestic flight – it’s only been 4 years!) We were initially assigned the last row (right in front of the bathroom). Which I didn’t think twice about, but my husband – at 6′ – said heeeck no and moved us. He found us an exit row with only 2 seats – nice!

Glad to hear your plans were not impacted by Earl — our St Martin vacation ended and we came back to NJ last Friday, right before Earl swept through the Caribbean on Sunday/Monday!

35 Paige @Running Around Normal September 3, 2010 at 11:06 pm

You and Derek are so cute:) Have fun in NYC!!

36 maria @ Chasing the Now September 3, 2010 at 11:25 pm

It looks like your trip is off to a good start! ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope the weather holds up for you guys. There’s nothing that sucks like bad weather on vacation!