more ยป" />

Don't Wanna Be an American Idiot

by Meghann on September 3, 2010

Ready. Set. Go!

Derek and I have been turned into regular ole New Yorkers today.

IMG_7569.jpg

Well.. New Yorkers that lug around a huge DSLR and have to ask directions on which way is uptown and which way is downtown, but we’re getting there.

Check this out.

2006

81.jpg

versus 2010

Do we look any different? I think so! ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyways…

Our NYC adventures really began this afternoon when we met the lovely Heather and Theodora for lunch at Alice’s Tea Cup.

(Sorry we’re blue – forgot to change the white balance setting when I handed the camera over. )

I ate at Alice’s Tea Cup the last time I was in NYC and had been dying to go back ever since. Obviously it had to be my first stop of the trip. ๐Ÿ˜‰

This time I wanted to go all out, so Derek and I decided to split the Mad Hatter Tea for Two.

IMG_7479.jpg

On the top we had a Butttermilk Scone (tasted like a biscuit), Pumpkin Scone (!!!), and a Ham and Cheese Scone (tasted like a cheddar garlic biscuit from back home.)

Tier two had a Cumin Carrot Sandwich (had this last time and knew it was going to be good) and a Smoked Turkey Sandwich with Apple and Goat Cheese.

And last but not least, the dessert tier with a Mocha Chocolate Cake (soooo good!) and an array of cookies.

Plate #1…. and trust me I went back for a plate #2 and #3 just to make sure I had a taste of everything. ๐Ÿ˜‰

With the Casablanca Iced Tea of the Day instead of a pot of tea – it’s hot outside!

IMG_7466.jpg

We kept getting phone calls/ texts today from friends and family who were worried we were going to get poured on or blown off the Island, but the weather held up beautifully all day. We had a sprinkle or two, but nothing worth pulling an umbrella out for.

IMG_7563.jpg

IMG_7558.JPGIMG_7560.JPGIMG_7561.JPG

Obviously I had too much fun taking photos of Derek. ๐Ÿ™‚IMG_7543.JPG

We basically killed time at Central Park this afternoon while waiting for our lovely hosts to finish with work for the weekend.

Ashley and Bo treated us to drinks at a fancy schmancy rooftop bar that I can’t remember the name of at the moment. :/

IMG_7599.jpg

Cheers!

Ashley and I both ordered a delicious gin cocktail that reminded me of a mojito thanks to the refreshing fresh mint crushed in the ice.

Mario Batali recently opened Eataly off of Madison Avenue and of course we had to check it out during it’s opening weekend!

Eataly is a 5000 sq ft food mecca! Inside there are several Italian food restaurant, quick service counters, a beer garden, and at it’s core an italian grocery store! The whole place was a little overwelming, but still a cool site to see!

We could have spent hours in there, but alas we had dinner reservations to make!

Remi is a gem of a place that Bo had stumbled upon while he was searching for italian places near the theater district. None of us had heard of it, but it had rave reviews a beautiful extensive menu of Italian treats.

Our table started with bread.

I had a piece of Focaccia.

But then this arrived.

Marinara Sauce with Goat Cheese (holy cow!)

So, I went back for 1/2 a bread stick.

I am now a big believer that all italian restaurants should serve their bread with goat cheese and mariana sauce. I believe we licked the bowl clean ๐Ÿ˜‰

One of the things we enjoyed about Remi was their extensive Italian pasta menu. Instead of the usual basic Italian fare – such as lasagna, spegetti, tortellini, etc – we were greeted with a menu full of lovely pasta noodle none of us had never heard of. We had fun googling half of the menu on our phones trying to decide what to order.

In the end we all chose something different and each dish was unique and delicious.

I ordered the Maltagliati noodles (had to google) with boiled tomatoes and string beans in a basil pesto sauce.

Wow!

My dish had a wonderful earthy flavor that was enhanced by the smooshy green beans and grainy boiled potatoes. The noodles were very thin and tender while the boiled potatoes crumbled at the touch of the fork. I’m not a fan of pasta by any means, but this dish won me over. I would happily go back and eat it again and again. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_7669.jpg

We had tickets tonight for the musical American Idiot that was playing at the St. James Theater.

IMG_7684.jpg

Fun Fact: I saw RENT at the St. James Theater 10 years ago with my parents.

I wasn’t 100% sure what to expect from American Idiot and I’m honestly still trying to take it all in. The music was wonderful, as was the choreography, but the story line was a bit depressing and a little tough to follow at times. Everyone just seemed so angry the whole time and I’m much more a happy-go-lucky kind of girl.

I would love to download the soundtrack of the show. I love the broadway spin they gave on each Green Day song and might even prefer that version to the original. ๐Ÿ˜‰

It’s been a long day and it’s going to be another early morning. I have a 20 mile run plan in the morning, so I better rest up.

Good Night!

1 sweetandsweat September 3, 2010 at 11:27 pm

I saw that show when it first started in Berkeley! I didn’t like it so much because I was in the front row and the lead singer kept spitting on me. Blech!

2 theprocessofhealing September 3, 2010 at 11:30 pm

You and Derek are too cute together! And I LOVE that dress!

3 Lorin September 3, 2010 at 11:39 pm

You are soo lucky! I wanted to see the AMerican Idiot musical on broadway when we went, but we didn’t have a lot of time up there. I saw Green Day in concert, so I’m fans of them for sure! Go check out Max Brenner’s!! Chocolate Pizza!

4 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 3, 2010 at 11:48 pm

I am definitely bookmarking these NYC posts so I know where to go when I visit!

You and Derek are too cute, by the way ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Caitlin September 3, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I love your dress (or shirt and skirt combo?)! And you and Derek are quite the pair. It’s so sweet to see you guys enjoy each other’s company so sincerely. Looks like a fun trip so far!

6 Janet September 4, 2010 at 12:38 am

ooohhh you need to go see “Rock Of Ages” if you want a nice fun lighthearted rock musical… trust me!!!!
But yea, I felt the same way about “American Idiot,” but trust this Broadway loving girl and stand on the TKTS line in Times Square, “Rock of Ages” is something you don’t want to miss.

7 Stephanie September 4, 2010 at 12:48 am

That looks like the Grammercy Park hotel bar. Love that place!

8 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com September 4, 2010 at 6:25 am

You and Derek are so cute! ๐Ÿ™‚

Looks like a blast in NYC! Good town, good food, and good friends…excellent. Rock the 20 miler!!!

9 KeepItSweet September 4, 2010 at 7:51 am

Looks like fun! i can’t wait to try Eatly!

10 Lee September 4, 2010 at 8:06 am

I have that dress. Old Navy, right?

Looks like a fun trip. Glad Earl didn’t blow you away.

11 Jillian @reshapeyourlife September 4, 2010 at 8:26 am

Looks like your having fun in the big apple! I’ve only gone and spent the day, so none of the fun “night time” stuff for me… Maybe one day ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Lauren September 4, 2010 at 9:02 am

Such a fun day! But honestly, that marinara sauce with goat cheese just left me speechless. I feel like I had so many wonderful things to comment on about this post and now, I lost everything. Wow, that is definitely heaven in a bowl. ๐Ÿ˜‰

13 runningwithsass September 4, 2010 at 9:02 am

looks like a fun full day! I love all he pictures.
I have that dress, to but its grey on the bottom. so comfy!

14 gingerbreadcake September 4, 2010 at 9:18 am

YUM! All of that food looks amazing. It sounds like you’re having a fantastic time!

15 Heather @ Side of Sneakers September 4, 2010 at 9:22 am

Ahh sounds like such a fun trip! American Idiot’s been on my list of things to do in NYC, mostly because I know I’d love the music and might actually be able to get Chris to sit through it….but I don’t want to hear a depressing story…..
Have a fun weekend!

16 Elizabeth September 4, 2010 at 9:53 am

Check out Burgers & Cupcakes in Chelsea! I swear they have the best chickpea burger in the world! (this is not an exaggeration) and awesome cupcakes too! http://burgerscupcakesnyc.com

17 Caitlin September 4, 2010 at 10:09 am

I love tea shops. There is the cutest tea shop in my town in Pennsylvania and their scones are amazing! yum!

Enjoy your weekend–I must say that you chose a perfect time to go. It is supposed to be 70 and beautiful ALL weekend. Perfect NYC weather!

18 biz319 September 4, 2010 at 10:34 am

Love the first picture the best!

OMG, whenever they have goat cheese with marinara sauce, I don’t look at anything else – its heaven on a plate!

19 Marci September 4, 2010 at 11:06 am

The first picture is so cool!

20 Annie September 4, 2010 at 11:10 am

I was in NYC in March and went to Alice’s Tea Cup with a bunch of friends (in the middle of our cupcake tour of the city). It was delicious! We did get blown away by wind and rain, though. Glad you didn’t!

21 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 4, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I’m glad you are hitting up all the great spots in the city. Make sure you go and check out the Highline along the west river. The view is truly amazing.