Fried Green Tomato Parmesan

by Meghann on August 31, 2010

Who said eggplants get to have all the fun?

I”m not 100% sure where this idea came from, but the minute it got in my head I knew it would be a good one. πŸ˜‰

Fried Green Tomatoes Parmesan

• 1 Green Tomato
  • 1 cup Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs
  • 1 cup Almond Milk
  • 1 cup Marinara Sauce
  • 4 Meatless Meatballs

Slice the green tomato and dip each slice into the almond milk before coating with bread crumbs. Bake for 10 minutes at 425, then flip and bake another 10 minutes.

I placed the ‘fried’ green tomatoes on a bed of quinoa.

And covered everything with the heated up marinara sauce and meatless meatballs.

You know me – cover anything with marinara sauce and I’m in love. :)

Still not a fan of those meatless meatballs though. There’s only a few left in the bag and then I’m done with them. :)

Dessert was a new favorite of mine.

A soft chocolate cookie with almond butter and vanilla ice cream. I mean do i really need to say more than that? Just saying that combination out loud makes me want to eat it again and again. :)

Earlier this afternoon I had a giant juicy nectarine.

Working 10 hour days blows – I just have to get that out there. For those of you who do it every week, I respect and commend you. I on the other hand can’t wait to go back to 8 hour days. At least I knew all this extra effort will pay off when I’m in NYC on Friday.

Only 48 hours until the weekend! I can do this!

Anyone else have big plans for the Holiday Weekend? Going out of town? Staying in? Do share!

1 emilydianne August 31, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I’m planning on taking it easy – I’ve been traveling allll over and it’s going to be nice to just stay in, and take a break. Your tomato looks delish! Definitely need to experiment with these yellow and green yums.

2 theprocessofhealing August 31, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Oven fried green tomatoes are THE BEST THINGS EVER!!!!!

3 silvershadow157 August 31, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I’m going home for the weekend to attend the weddings of some of my boyfriends good friends and to spend some time with my parents…can’t wait!

4 Mary August 31, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I work 12 hour days. Good thing about that though is that I only work 3 days a week, which is one of the perks of being a Nurse :) I am planning a date day with my Boyfriend on saturday then I am working on sunday and monday… you know picking up that 12 hour holiday pay πŸ˜‰

enjoy NYC, as a relocated New Yorker, the City will always have a special place in my heart :)

5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 31, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Did you forget to put the Parmesan Cheese in the Fried Green Tomatoes Parmesan recipe?

6 Kelly August 31, 2010 at 8:48 pm

I work 8.5 hour days and I think that blows.

7 NYCRunnerGirl August 31, 2010 at 8:48 pm

I am going to Syracuse to visit my husband’s family this weekend. I was out of town the last time you came to NYC, too! I’ll be around for a blogger meet up one of these days :)

8 myFOODevents August 31, 2010 at 8:48 pm

I unfortunately have to work on Monday, but for thre remainder of the weekend I get to go home and see my boyfriend and family!

9 Lizzy @ LBBakes August 31, 2010 at 8:48 pm

What a great twist on eggplant parm! I love it. I hate working long days, too – I am so burnt out by the end of the day that I just want to come home and do nothing!

10 Jessie August 31, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I feel the same way about marinara. Sometimes I eat foods just so I can eat marinara.

I am heading to the beach this weekend and hoping the hurricanes don’t interfere!

11 emily August 31, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Is that really a nectarine or is that a mistype? It looks like a plucot!

12 newleafeats August 31, 2010 at 8:57 pm

My big plans include painting my new house and eating a fancy dinner out with a bunch of friends!!!

13 SaraRM August 31, 2010 at 9:00 pm

College football!!! :) Going back to my alma mater for the game.

Completely envious of your NYC trip!

14 Therese August 31, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I’m a nurse and I work 3-4 13 hour shifts a week. Don’t be a nurse in Kansas. The payscale sucks. Probably don’t move to Kansas, period πŸ˜‰

It’s REALLY hard to find the energy to make something healthy after being at work on your feet all day. I’d love to know how other nurses manage it!

15 Heather August 31, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I love fried green tomatoes – I couldn’t get enough of them when I lived in the south…

I need to search the supermarket for them now – love this idea!

I have to work Friday night but otherwise I am looking forward to the weekend – Saturday will be my first day off in 2 weeks!

16 Laura August 31, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I wish I could work 8 hour days! I work AT LEAST 10 on my “easy” days, but lately its been super busy so its been more like 12-13. While it def. does blow, it is quite a treat when you do get a 7-8 hour day out of the blue. Makes it seem like you have all the time in the world!

17 Ash Bear August 31, 2010 at 9:16 pm

The fried green tomatoes look delicious!! Can we please possibly make them Saturday!! :)

18 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 31, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Hmm, I’ve never had fried green tomatoes! I’ll have to try them out soon.

Totally agree with you on the 10 hour days. I seem to have a couple every year. Ick.

19 mychubbyconfessions August 31, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Oh, how I LOVE Fried Green Tomatoes..and I’m talking about the real stuff! Deep fried with ranch. So nice for a treat every once in a while!

You may commend people for working 10 hour days..but I commend you for only stopping at one dessert. Holy cow! Yours look delicious!!!

20 Jillian @reshapeyourlife August 31, 2010 at 9:39 pm

10 hour days do suck, however right now I’m lucky enough to only have to do them 4 days a week instead of 5.

You’ll make it through! Only a little bit longer!

21 Rebekah W. August 31, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Heading to Charleston, SC with the fam for vacation. Can’t. Wait.

22 jenna August 31, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I work 12 hour shifts, but luckily only have to work 3 days a week. I will be helping to deliver babies this weekend-since I’m a labor and delivery nurse :)

23 yep, i ate that August 31, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I would love to work 10 hour days. ok really I would LOVE not to have to work at all, but working only 4 days sounds good!!

24 yep, i ate that August 31, 2010 at 9:52 pm

On second thought.. I’d take just working a normal 9-5 everyday too.. these 1230pm-10pm days really blow.

25 Amelia August 31, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Oh yum, that dinner looks amazing! Looove fried green tomatoes.

26 Leah August 31, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Staying home, running errands, and doing yard work! I’m looking forward to it, actually!

27 runningwithsass August 31, 2010 at 10:10 pm

staying in, low key, may BBQ just me and the hubby.

28 discoverdiscard August 31, 2010 at 10:21 pm

im heading to Melbourne beach, florida to visit some family. i hear you on the 10 hour days but i wish i did work 10 hour days, i work 12 hour days and in the film industry and is actually LOW, usually its 14-18hours

29 Emilyeatsclean August 31, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Our new office furniture is being delivered to the house this Saturday so we’ll be getting everything organized I’m sure, but I’m actually really excited about this…..our current “office” is the kitchen table and its totally not working for us!!

30 Dorry August 31, 2010 at 11:15 pm

I had a marinara covered dinner tonight as well! Pasta and veggies. We are headed to Austin for the holiday weekend – some friends are getting married and it should be a fabulous time! You are going to have a blast in NYC! :)

31 tropicaleats August 31, 2010 at 11:50 pm

you can do this!! 2 more days.

just think of the days to be covered in marinara sauce and then maybe that will make you like them enough to get through them lol. (did that make any sense???)

great recipe!

32 Lindsay August 31, 2010 at 11:54 pm

I work 10-hour days. It’s really rough at first, but it gets better. (Depending on your job, though, because I’m in awe of you nurses who work 12-hour days doing what you’re doing!) When I first started, I was super drained all the time. It would take me a whole day just to get over it when my weekend started. Now, I’m so used to it that when I work a rare five-day week, I feel more drained by having only two days off on the weekend!

33 lynne September 1, 2010 at 12:35 am

i’m headed to milwaukee to visit my long-distance boyfriend! i’ve been a reader of yours for a while and just wanted to say thank you! you inspire me! i’ve started a blog too in hopes that it keeps me honest and up to pace with exercise, eating healthy and living a balanced life. enjoy your stay in NYC! :)

34 Heather September 1, 2010 at 1:50 am

San Diego for the long weekend, can’t wait!

35 gingerbreadcake September 1, 2010 at 6:01 am

My family will probably be having a birthday party for my aunt this weekend.
Can you believe I’ve never had fried green tomatoes?

By the way Meghann, I just started a blog and I hope you don’t mind but I listed you as one of my favorites! :) I love your blog!
I have to say again that I really like the new section you added about Orlando. I used to live there a couple of years ago and love a lot of the places you listed. Especially Seasons 52, YUM!

36 Sana September 1, 2010 at 6:18 am

NYC weekend will be a BLASTY! You do have a love affair with marinara sauce I only have used it for dipping pizza crusts-I need to change this :)

37 jessica September 1, 2010 at 8:12 am

Be happy you’re not an accountant!! 12 hour days are the norm!

38 Emily September 1, 2010 at 8:17 am

Well I’m not a tomato fan, but I am interested in your breading method. I always thought you needed egg to hold on the breading – I’m surprised the almond milk worked so well.
I just got home so my holiday weekend plans are to catch up on work… and nurse my sprained ankle. :(

39 Stephanie September 1, 2010 at 9:34 am

I am a huge tomato fan, those look amazing!

I used to work 10-12 hour days for my first 2 1/2 years out of college, and I hated it. Part of it was what I was doing, but also feeling like I never really got away from work since I worked 10+ hour days and frequent Saturdays.
Recently, I took a new job that has a flexible 40 hour/week schedule and a slight pay cut, but I have never been happier. 10 hour days are tough!

40 Jess September 1, 2010 at 10:03 am

We’re flying to Paris tomorrow! We’re taking advantage of a free vacation day and spending 10 days in London and Paris. So excited!

41 Lacey @ Lake Life September 1, 2010 at 10:50 am

I used to work ten hour days but then it got so tiring and in the winter I felt like I never saw daylight. Plus our lunch breaks are only half an hour so it was a straight 10 1/2 hour day in a basement office :-(

42 Allison September 1, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I teach middle school at a charter school. I arrive around 7:30 A.M., teach until 3:15, direct traffic at dismissal, and then coach cheerleading three days each week (or have football games) until 5:30. After that, I work for another hour or so to prepare for the next day. My days off cheer are for staff and team meetings, which go until 5:00. I use those days to get extra work done!

Today, for example, had a staff meeting until 4:30 and then I met with my principal to do some planning until 6:15. Then I worked on plans and cheerleading uniform orders until 7:00, when I finally left.