more ยป" />

Sunday Brunch

by Meghann on August 29, 2010

Happy Sunday everyone! ๐Ÿ™‚

I had brunch plans with a few friends this morning, so my scheduled 12 mile run had to be extra early and extra speedy. I was up at five and out the door before the sun even had time to peak over the horizon.

On my way out the door I grabbed a piece of spelt toast with chocolate dreams peanut butter and fresh blueberries.

The run was a simple out and back. Three miles to a nearby trail, three miles on the trail, turn around and repeat. ๐Ÿ™‚

An hour and fifty minutes later I was done, showered and ready to meet the girls for some good eats.

Before i left I knew I needed a little something in my system to make it to brunch, so I grabbed a package of Recoverite that had been in my closet for a while now.

The 1 serving packet was very powder heavy, so I divided it in half and filled my 24 oz water bottle to the top.

The package claimed a ‘subtle cirtus’ flavor, but I didn’t get that. It almost seemed to have a hint of chocolate to it? Sounds strange, but I actually enjoyed drinking it on my drive across town.

IMG_6971.jpg

Brunch this morning was at the fabulous Hilton Bonnet Creek (which I’ve never been to before) where the beautiful Tina has been staying while she eats her way around Orlando. She has been a busy bee, but was able to squeeze a free morning in with Katy, Katy, and I.

By the way, I found it amusing this is the photo I got when I handed my DSLR off to a stranger for a group photo. ๐Ÿ™‚

If gets even better. When he handed the camera back he exclaimed “I took two just in case.”

Le Sigh.

I was pretty hungry by the time we sat and all I really wanted was some fresh fruit, carbs and protein. THe menu was a little pricey, so I ended up mixing and matching.

Fresh Fruit Salad + Zucchini Bread (fruit and carbs)

Scrambled Egg ( protein)

We spent the whole morning discussing how fabulous Orlando is (it is) and how Tina needs to return so we can show her the ‘real’ Orlando.

I find it interesting that even though Tina is here to ‘eat Orlando’ (thanks to the visitor’s bureau) most of the places she has dined at have been places I’ve never heard of or are in tourist hot spots that most locals tend to avoid because of the crowds. I’m all for advertising how great Orlando is, but most people who only visit those places tend to leave with the impression that Orlando is crowded, expensive, and loud (it’s not).

Drive 20 minutes east of Disney and you’ll find family friendly neighborhoods, great local food, and a small town charm that the south is famous for.

I know Tina’s gang has plans to explore the Winter Park area today and if you ever do visit Orlando I suggest you stay away from the Disney crowds and head to that area instead for good food and less crowds. It truly is my favorite area of Orlando and one I hope to move to in the very near future. ๐Ÿ™‚

After brunch we all said our good byes and I headed out to do a little shopping while I was on that side of town.

Whole Foods? Check! Outlets? Check! Old Navy? Check?

I returned home pretty exhausted and ready for lunch.

I made a quick and easy dish by sauteeing a purple pepper, carrots, parsnips, onion, and left over quinoa.

I threw a spoonful of hummus and spinach in at the end and topped it all off with some feta cheese.

nom nom nom

On the side, blue corn tortilla chips and salsa.

Now that the busy part of my day is over with, it’s time to sit back and relax. I have some blog work to catch up on and some play time with Maddie to take care of.

Have a great day!

1 runeatdatesleep August 29, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Now I’m starting to think I took a blurry picture of you and Caitlin at the cocktail party.

Congrats on your early, long run!

2 britchickruns August 29, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Well done on the 12! I was wondering, do you eat or drink anything (besides water) during long runs? I don’t think I could do 12 in the heat without something extra :s
Have alovely afternoon!

3 What Kate Ate August 29, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Haha I love the result of your stranger photo op – we had the same experience at dinner one night at the HLS. I guess auto-timer is the best bet.

4 ellaroo88 August 29, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I think it’s true that people tend to eat in tourist areas when they visit. I actually remember thinking that when you were in STL. The real family friendly local food is never down town. You have to sniff it out to find the good stuff

5 Lauren August 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I have only ever been to Orlando for Disney World, but I can imagine how great the small towns must be surrounding it. If I am every in Orlando again, it’s good to know great people that will be able to show me the “real city.”

Sounds like a wonderful morning Meghann! Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

6 Sana August 29, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Enjoy watching Bond of Silence!

7 theprocessofhealing August 29, 2010 at 3:35 pm

The brunch sounds like fun!!! Go you on your 12 miles!

8 Katie August 29, 2010 at 3:58 pm

That sounds so fun! I love it when all the bloggers hang out. Then you don’t feel so stupid taking tons of pictures of your food, hehe!

9 runningwithsass August 29, 2010 at 4:39 pm

thats so hard for me b/c I love disney! I will be there in less than two weeks as a matter of fact! I would love to expolore other areas of orlando though!

10 pursuitofhealthfulness August 29, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Knew I was right in my guess about Tina. So cool that she got to “eat through Orlando,” but I can definitely see how it wouldn’t really tell the whole story.

11 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 29, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Ha, those dSLR pictures are hilarious ๐Ÿ™‚ Especially the part about the guy taking two!

I do have to say that after reading your blog and Caitlin’s, Ashley’s, Megan’s, and Angela’s (while she was in Orlando) for the past couple months, I have definitely put Orlando back on my places to visit list!

12 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 29, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Great job on the run!! I feel the same way about NYC- the “popular” restaurants like Smith & Wollensky and Juniors are NOWHERE near as good as most of the other places. I feel like the best way to find good food in a new city is to ask a local!!

13 Emilyeatsclean August 29, 2010 at 6:44 pm

I envy blogger meet-ups. I’ve not had the opportunity of one yet. Hopefully someday! Looks like a great day so far. Hate your pics didn’t turn out!

14 Caitlin August 29, 2010 at 6:45 pm

I’m surprised the stranger could even take a picture! Digital cameras are confusing enough for me (sad, but true).

I feel the same way about the food in Berkeley. Visitors tend to eat at the same popular places near campus–which are all good because it is food paradise–when there are so many fantastic options just a tiny bit outside the campus area.

15 Tina August 29, 2010 at 7:36 pm

You’re right that that area of Orlando is MUCH nicer! I believe that was the area Julie (from PB Fingers) & I had lunch together in. or something similar (perhaps Thornton Park?)

Anyways, there are plenty of nice areas outside the hustle and bustle.

I always have to set the camera to the dreaded Auto when I hand it off to a stranger. It’s the only way to get a decent shot. LOL

16 christina cadden August 29, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Looks like you had fun!

17 Tina August 29, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Thanks for coming to visit today! ๐Ÿ™‚

18 MelanieF August 30, 2010 at 8:51 am

I have to admit that this weekend will be our third year visiting the Orlando Area. But, we’re staying on Disney property (we are from Canada) and visiting the major theme parks. We are also going to shop at the Orlando Premium Outlets. But, i’ve learned so much trought your blog about Orlando, and I know it has a lot more to offer than just the major theme parks. Maybe one day, where we are tired of those, we’ll be able to visit more of the area ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Lauren @ Running Examiner August 30, 2010 at 11:43 am

Winter Park is great–I went to college there!