Race Blanket

by Meghann on August 27, 2010

Lookie what I got :)

IMG_6780.jpg

A couple of months ago I handed over all of my race shirts to my little brother’s girlfriend’s mom (Sherry) and she worked her magic to turn the shirts into a beautiful throw blanket.

I actually got a little emotional when she opened the blanket and presented it to me for the first time. Each shirt holds a special memory and to have them of all out in front of me was a flood of memories. :)

There’s my first marathon.

My fastest marathon

My NYC race

And last year’s shirt for the race I’m running tomorrow.

Love it :)

Sherry did a wonderful job preserving my memories and I can not thank her enough for donating her time to the effort.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!

Work dragged on this afternoon and by the time I left I had this deal with on the drive to my parents.

IMAG0059.jpg

Lovely

A juicy peach helped pass the time

On the drive over I was told there was a change of plans. Instead of cooking at home we would be heading to a local pizzeria for dinner with some family friends.

My parents and I started with a large greek salad.

My serving

I really wanted the 6 inch kid’s pizza, but the server informed me she would get in trouble if she served it to me. :( I felt wasteful ordering a small pizza for just myself, so I tagged my pizza order onto my my parents’. We replaced their original order of a medium meat lovers with a large half meat lovers and half vegetarian – light on the cheese.

The pizza order came up and somehow my light on the cheese vegetarian half had become just cheese? Where’s the veggies?

They were really nice about it and put an order for another half and half right away. Everyone else dug in while I patiently waited for my veggie half.

Veggies!

Only this one had a ton of cheese and was hard to tear the pieces off. Le sigh.

I was pretty tired at this point and dug in anyways.

Piece #1

Piece #2

My parent’s don’t eat a ton so by the time we left we still had half of the original half and half pizza, about three quarters of the corrected version, and a whole additional pizza they had brought to make up for the heavy cheese on the corrected version. I believe the three of us left with enough pizza to feed a family of six.

We also left with a cheap bill. Minus the three pizzas all we had to pay for was the salad. They may have messed up our pizzas, but at least they had great customer service. And to give them credit it was a Friday night and pretty packed.

After pizza we headed over to ben’s girlfriend’s house to pick up my new blanket. :)

Sherry just got a Vita-mix and after hearing me rave about it, she was kind enough to throw together a quick smoothie to show it in action.

IMAG0061.jpg

Go Vita Got!

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

Tasty

IMAG0068.jpg

Time for bed. I’ve got an early wake up call in the morning! :)

Good Night!

1 shelly@campinggirlchronicals August 27, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I love quilts! I think that they make beautiful keepsakes but yours is especially meaningful. So nice!

2 Raya @ Raya Runs August 27, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I was just telling someone the other day how I’m going to do that with all my race shirts!!! Awesome :)

3 Pearl August 27, 2010 at 10:38 pm

yaaay for vita mixes! and that blanket is so precious!

4 mishfish13 August 27, 2010 at 10:41 pm

oh my gosh that quilt/blanket is beautiful! you must be so proud of all your races :)

i don’t get the deal with not allowing people to order kids sizes. portions have gotten so huge over the years!

5 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 27, 2010 at 10:47 pm

I love t-shirt quilts! I’d love to make one once I get enough races under my belt.

Pizza looks good, even if it did have a bit more cheese than you would prefer!

6 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 27, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Ahhh I want a memory blanket!! I have 80 million t-shirts that I want to save forever :) For a second I thought YOU got a Vita…I got crazy jealous.

7 Julie @SavvyEats August 27, 2010 at 11:10 pm

My gramma made me a quilt like that for my high school graduation. LOVE IT!

8 Melissa @Trying.to.heal August 27, 2010 at 11:42 pm

oh the blanket came out great!!! if only i didn’t wear my shirts all the time for work…that would be a great idea!!!

9 Sana August 28, 2010 at 12:06 am

What a thoughtful and amazing gift!!! That is weird abt the pizza, I guess it was a busy night!

10 Michaela August 28, 2010 at 2:28 am

Don’t mean to hate but for goodness sakes, just eat the full cheese pizza. It won’t kill you! :)

11 jules524 August 28, 2010 at 7:53 am

ditto. are you allergic to it?

12 molly August 28, 2010 at 5:16 am

not that having all the leftovers your family has is necessarily wasteful, but it seems it definitely would’ve been less wasteful and less time consuming for the restaurant and probably you if you had just ordered the small size pizza. then you would’ve had your own leftovers and there probably wouldn’t have been any errors.
i hope you tipped them well!

13 Sherry August 28, 2010 at 8:15 am

Thanks Meghann, it was my pleasure. And after talking with you I look forward to your tasty smoothy recipes for my Vit A Mix.

14 caitysperfect August 28, 2010 at 8:39 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the blanket. Great idea! As I continue to collect my shirts, I think I will save them to make a blanket of my own :)

15 Halley (Blunder Construction) August 28, 2010 at 8:50 am

This is such a good idea, I have so many race t-shirts that I will never wear but don’t want to toss either. Good idea for tour t-shirts from concerts too. My mom is a quilter too, thanks for sharing this!

16 christina cadden August 28, 2010 at 9:15 am

Sorry about your pizza but it looks good!

17 runningwithsass August 28, 2010 at 9:41 am

love it! I have one of those! my mom made it for me of a lot of my HS shirts when I graduated HS, its one of my favorite gifts my parents have ever given me b/c I know it took her so long to do!

18 MegaNerd August 28, 2010 at 9:56 am

Ooooh I like the blanket! my mom has one of those but big enough to act as a comforter for a queen bed heheh (aka too large).

Good luck on your 5k!

19 Angel August 28, 2010 at 11:00 am

I love that you included the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer shirt, even though it wasn’t a race. I love you, cuz!

20 Amber@momsgottheruns August 28, 2010 at 11:30 am

The crust on that pizza looks so good!!!! Send me your leftovers! : D

21 What Kate Ate August 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm

That memory blanket is such a neat idea!

22 erin August 28, 2010 at 12:39 pm

how wierd, i was reading J’s everyday fashion yesterday and she has a picture of you out to dinner with them last night, i wish i could be in two places at once that would be awesome ;)

23 Alisha August 28, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I hate it when restaurants won’t let you order a kid’s size meal because they think you want to be cheap, or when they don’t offer “half” size or “lunch” portions. Yes, I know that you can always take leftovers with you, but I’m often not going directly home and I’m neurotic about food getting too warm and spoiling.

But I must give you props for requesting a corrected order twice. I’m not brave enough anymore after having a brother who worked in food service and shared horror stories. He said that the reason why servers get so upset with having to put in messed up orders is because the mistake comes out of their pocket, especially if the manager comps the meal. I think that’s so dumb, but if something does get super messed up and I have to send it back, I’m always careful to tip the waiter extra because I feel bad, ha.

24 Tammy August 28, 2010 at 6:17 pm

I wish I knew someone that could make one for me cheaper..I’ve seen that online, but it seems expensive..I guess it’s relative, I’d rather spend my money elsewhere right now. But I would love it as a gift!!

25 Anne @ a daily slice August 28, 2010 at 9:19 pm

What an awesome idea!! I’m totally going to do this :)

26 Emilyeatsclean August 28, 2010 at 9:49 pm

What a very special blanket!! You’ll have it forever! :)