Friday Cheers

by Meghann on August 27, 2010

Happy Friday!

Three cheers for it almost being the weekend!

Hip – Hip – Hooray!

Hip – Hip – Hooray!

Hip – Hip – Hooray!

Ok, I’ll stop now. 🙂

This weekend is going to be a great one simply because I plan to kick the racing season off with a small 5k tomorrow morning.

It will actually be the same 5k I ran and PRed at(!) last year around this time. I’m not sure if I have any hopes of pring again this year (I’ve been working on long distance endurance, not short distance speed), but I do plan to run with my little brother and hometown races are always fun because in my small town you tend to run into everyone you know. 🙂

As I’m racing tomorrow morning and my legs still weren’t 100% this morning I took it easy again with 30 minutes on the elliptical with the latest Shape magazine. This way my legs will be well rested for tomorrow’s race.

I have 7 miles on the training plan for tomorrow morning. My plan will be to drive to the 5k with my parents, run the race, then run the approximate 3 miles back to my parents house. It’s a route I know like the back of my hand and I know it’s easy one.

Breakfast came in a bowl this morning.

IMG_6720

• 1/2 cup Kix
  • 1/2 cup Shredded Wheat
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Cinnamon H2H
  • Vanilla Yogurt
  • Fresh Figs
  • Blueberries
  • Peanut Powder

IMG_6731

IMG_6726

A pretty bowl that is. 🙂

I posted this on Facebook earlier this week, but I thought it would be a fun one to discuss on the blog.

You see, when it comes to reaching my family members each member of my family has a different medium of communication that’s best to get a hold of them at.

My Mom tends to respond quickly through Facebook.

My Dad is a traditionalist and is best reached on his cell phone or house phone (depending on time of day).

My Twin Bro is a very important med student who will only respond via text messaging.

My Sister won’t answer her phone for the life of her, but responds with in minutes via twitter.

And lastly the best way to get him a message is through his girlfriend, Ashley.

And me? Pretty much all of the above, though I tend to be the quickest to respond on twitter. 🙂

What about you and your family? Are there different modes of communication you are quicker to respond to over others? 🙂

1 Nicole @ Making Good Choices August 27, 2010 at 8:40 am

I respond the quickest through text. Not many of my friends are on twitter and some of my family is but they don’t check it as often as I do. Good luck tomorrow!

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 27, 2010 at 8:43 am

My dad’s hand is glued to the blackberry while my sister and I are always on gchat.

3 Amanda August 27, 2010 at 8:43 am

Text is now a required means of communication in my family. Once my mom learned to text she was a convert, even though she swore she’d never do it 🙂

4 Kelly August 27, 2010 at 8:43 am

My mom responds to texts pretty quickly, my sister to Facebook. The bf is easily reachable by BBM.

5 sweetersalt August 27, 2010 at 8:47 am

It is funny how you figure out who responds best to what! I have one friend that I almost always reach via facebook, another email, another calls. Then there’s one friend who won’t respond to anything, so I usually go straight to his wife if I need anything!

6 Amy @ Second City Randomness August 27, 2010 at 8:54 am

I’m probably quickest to respond via text or email. I have a really hard time being able to answer the phone and actually hold a conversation…

My parents just recently discovered text. And all the little things that go with it- or at least did 5 years ago. So I get texts from my dad that say “whatz up?” and “kool”.

7 Ashleigh August 27, 2010 at 8:55 am

haha that’s pretty funny that everyone in your fam responds differently. If I could talk to everyone through text I would! Whenever I get a voicemail from a friend I always only text back… I hate talking on the phone and the iPhone has horrible service so I always drop calls. I just started teaching my parents to text!

8 rebecca lustig August 27, 2010 at 9:03 am

omg, i think about this all the time!

my dad=twitter
my mom= facebook
my sister= facebook or text
my brother= text

you know what really bugs me though? when my mom texts me to ask a question… from downstairs!

it’s amazing how technology dependent we’ve come.

happy friday 🙂

9 Becca August 27, 2010 at 9:07 am

It’s always interesting how that happens…I almost always text or BBM. One friend is easiest to get through Facebook though.

As for me, I typically respond to anything except for answering the phone. I have a blackberry so I get notifications no matter how someone reaches me.

10 Whitney Chapman August 27, 2010 at 9:15 am

I’ve never thought about it before, but you’re completely right! My mom is best through her cell, my dad the home phone (since he refuses to get a cell), my bff through bbm, and my fiance on his work phone!

11 Heather August 27, 2010 at 9:26 am

I love mixing cereals.

My mom and dad are BIG email people – or the phone works as well.

My sister is probably just a phone person.

Good luck with the race this weekend!

12 Marina August 27, 2010 at 9:47 am

My mom is just being introduced to all wonders of gmail and gtalk 🙂
But most of the time, I can get her only on her cell. My sister is much harder to reach, although she spends a lot of time with her phone, and on her laptop…she rarely answers :))

13 runningwithsass August 27, 2010 at 9:50 am

too funny! I text most people but call my dad since he doesnt text.

14 Evan Thomas August 27, 2010 at 10:09 am

We just email each other in my family. Sometimes, if my mom has little to say, she puts it all in the subject line and leaves the email blank. And my grandmother gets upset when she doesn’t get emails, even though she’s never owned a computer/had email. Here’s an actual conversation:

Mom: Aunt Ida died. Cousin Paul sent an email out to all the relatives to let us know.
G-mom: I didn’t get one!
Mom: You don’t own a computer…

15 DiningAndDishing August 27, 2010 at 10:32 am

My mum and dad are best reached via phone. They don’t have Facebook and are still figuring out text! My sis is best at text and my brother is impossible via all modes of communication – unless HE wants to speak to ME, then my phone is bombarded with calls and texts!!

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

16 Nicole - yuppie yogini August 27, 2010 at 10:53 am

That’s so funny. Everyone does have their communication mode if choice. My family are all traditionalists..they prefer phone.

17 LiveForTheRun August 27, 2010 at 10:56 am

Your mom and Facebook, that’s great.

My dad texts me ALL the time, it’s outta control. Cute, but ridiculous.

I taught my granny how to text in church. Great story:)

18 newleafeats August 27, 2010 at 11:07 am

I respond pretty darned fast over email. I don’t always have my phone on (battery issues. It dies unexpectedly), and I don’t have text capabilities on my phone (parents had them turned off when we got the phones), so really the best ways to call me are 1) call, 2) email, 3) facebook. If I don’t respond quickly by one of them, try one of the others and you’ll probably get me.

19 Shanna, like Banana August 27, 2010 at 11:11 am

Yep…my Mom and I are emailers…in general I hate the phone because I always feel like I’m saying “Can you hear me now?” 😉

20 BBx2 - Mandy & jR August 27, 2010 at 11:32 am

Ooh – Kix cereal!! Takes me back to being a kid!!!

For me, it depends on where I am at. I actually work in a pretty laid back environment, so I can answer my cell or text if needed. But email is probably faster than facebook or twitter!

21 Angela August 27, 2010 at 11:45 am

I think this cheer was so in order. I don’t remember the last time I’ve been so excited for the weekend!

And my family – well there is 11 of us so be patient with this breakdown

Mom: phone, preferably a land line at her house or her mothers. Than her cell. She LOVES the phone.

Dad: quickest response is cell phone, followed by email during the week.

Mary Kim (the oldest): cell; she is a busy mother of 2 and is constantly out and about.

Mary Noel (yes they have the same first name): home phone; she is a busy mother of 5 and is always cleaning.

Rob: Email during work hours, cell phone on the weekend.

Paul: Phone only. Always panicked and can’t be bothered typing.

Jane: Facebook, email and phone. She’s a stay-at-home mom with tons of time on her hands.

Jill: She doesn’t respond. Unless she needs something. Or answers her cell by accident.

John: My parents phone. Only when my mom makes him talk.

Anne: Cell when she’s travelling or shopping, otherwise forget about it.

Me: Email or text. I hate talking unless I have a long walk or commute.

Amy: Email, text, facebook, phone. She lives in Florida and wants to be in touch everychance she can.

Tommy (the baby): See John.

Wowzer, that’s a long comment. But its interesting to see how different we all are.

22 Dorry August 27, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Love this – every member of my family is different, too! Text, email and cell phone. 🙂

23 Cassie August 27, 2010 at 12:19 pm

That’s hilarious. My dad can be reached at home or on his cell phone and my mom pretty much rejects any type of communication device. She just relies on my dad to keep her in the loop 🙂

24 Faith August 27, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I’m a texter all the way – I can guarantee you a reply within minutes (more likely seconds) with a text but Facebook is a quick second.

25 Pearl August 27, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I’m way faster on text than on facebook or twitter. That’s probably because I’m still not too sure how to use twitter more effectively on my phone!

26 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 27, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I would say that most of my family responds to texts or phone calls. However, my mom seems to think the best way to get a hold of me is through email–even though I’ve told her that my phone is usually connected to me 24/7!

Where did you find peanut powder? That seems like a neat addition to a smoothie or yogurt mix.

27 Amelia August 27, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I’m definitely quickest to reach through text, as is one of my sisters. My dad is best through phone calls. My little sister is…pretty much unreachable. She always has something going on and checks her phone rarely.

28 breakingsilence @ Freshman -15 August 27, 2010 at 6:15 pm

The fastest way you can reach me is through text or Facebook.

29 shelly@campinggirlchronicals August 28, 2010 at 9:02 am

I have to call my parents if I want to talk to them.
My brother is a facebook/texting guy as am I.
I am like your sister… I never answer my phone. I would love to have a phone that didn’t receive calls…just texts.