more ยป" />

Out With The Old, In With The New

by Meghann on August 25, 2010

I was on a mission this evening – a mission to find the perfect laptop bag.

As much as I love my Vera Bradley print, the bag itself has deemed itself impractical.

It’s small, doesn’t hold much besides a laptop (making it a waste of a carry on on a plane), and – let’s face it – the bag has seen better days.

Maddie’s handiwork.

I hit my favorite store in the whole wide world (Target – yippee!!!) and narrowed it down to two lovely ‘weekend bags.’

151397689.jpg

Thanks to some help from my twitter friends (why shop alone when you can shop with a couple thousand of your closest virtual friends?) I came home with this beauty.

Stylish and practical, right?

The bag has plenty of room for all my chargers, lunch, books, and any other entertainment I may require. Sweet. ๐Ÿ™‚

I was also on a mission for a new camera bag, but had no luck in that department. Anyone know where I can find a reasonably priced camera bag that can double as a purse in NYC next week? Anyone?!?!

This afternoon I drank this…

IMG_6528.jpg

While eating this…

Remember that OIAJ I ‘cheated’ on? I told you that PB would go to good use in the end. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I was quite pleased with how my dinner came out tonight.

I started by roasting brussel sprouts, parsnips, onion, and okra for 15 minutes at 425 degrees, then added some seitan in the last 5 minutes. The veggies became the base and were topped with red quinoa, the seitan, and a Honey Mustard bbq sauce made up of equal parts barbeque sauce, honey mustard, olive oil, and vinegar.

‘Twas delicious.

I really loved the sweetness my homemade sauce gave to the dish. It brought everything together with a subtle smoky, honey touch.

For dessert I had a small serving of vanilla ice cream with a tiny spoonful of Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter.

Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter > Hot Fudge

I think I’m going to check Etsy out for a camera bag. Hopefully I can find one that won’t break the bank.

*fingers crossed*

Good Night

1 Alyssa August 25, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I love that bag! It’s practical, classy, and perfect for not only a laptop, but other purse-like essentials ๐Ÿ™‚ Target is great for finding cheaper, yet quality stuff like that; It’s addictive! ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Mara @ What's For Dinner? August 25, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I have that same bag!!! It’s fantastic! I use it to carry my laptop, all my work stuff, chargers, etc… its great!

3 Nicci@NiftyEats August 25, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Love the red, my Mom has that same laptop bag & carries it as a purse too. I’m always trying to sneak & use it! lol

4 Leah August 25, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I lurve that bag! It’s very similar to my red Fossil leather bag that I bought for the sole purpose of my laptop. It’s a very stylish bag – I actually used it a lot when I was interviewing as well! Great for holding a portfolio!

5 andrea @ Food Not Fuss August 25, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Oooh, super pretty!

I’m bad and just carry my DSLR in my regular purse. So far I haven’t had any problems but I probably don’t tote mine around quite as much as you do. ๐Ÿ™‚

6 Kathryn August 25, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I have that red bag from target and I LOVE it! I have used it every day for work for the past few months and I am rough on my bags…and it still looks great. Good pick!

7 Sana August 25, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Yay! I love getting new bags ๐Ÿ™‚

8 carly August 25, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I really like that bag – good choice!

Excuse my naivete, but where do you get seitan? Is it just tofu? I can’t seem to find it at my local Publix, and I know I’m not going to be finding it at Harvey’s.

9 Leianna August 25, 2010 at 9:48 pm

That is such a cute red bag for your laptop! You always have such creative dinners. I need to start just throwing things together and make miracle dinners:)

10 Dorry August 25, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Anne from fANNEtastic food has an awesome camera bag/purse that she carried in Chicago…I don’t know the brand but maybe you could ask her! It’s really cute. ๐Ÿ™‚

11 theprocessofhealing August 25, 2010 at 9:54 pm

DCD is AMAZING!

12 BBx2 - Mandy & jR August 25, 2010 at 9:58 pm

LOVE the red bag!! SO incredibly cute!!!

13 Samantha August 25, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I have a camera bag from PorteenGear on etsy that I love…it’s been a workhorse. It’s got extra room for a wallet, keys, etc but isn’t too big to be cumbersome. I did a 1300′ hike with it on Tuesday in the rain and it kept my cam dry and safe (I slid/fell several times on the descent in the dark and rain), and its cute!

14 Marg August 25, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Cute – I want that bag! Not cheap but I love Kelly Moore bags for cameras and very purse like. I got the Crumpler bag, it’s more functional. Maybe check out best buy.

15 Erin August 25, 2010 at 10:06 pm

So jealous of your bag! Makes me wish I had to carry my work laptop around more so I’d have an excuse to buy the same one.

16 CV August 25, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I put my camera in the larger of these two containers (http://www.containerstore.com/shop/travel/beltpacksPouches?productId=10024837&N=63203&Nao=16) and put it into whatever medium to large purse or messenger bag I feel like using. It fits a regular DSLR camera as well as an extra lens. I like it because it’s much more cute than most camera bags.

17 Meghann August 26, 2010 at 9:20 am

Wow! I like this idea! Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

18 runningwithsass August 25, 2010 at 10:16 pm

super cute! love the red!

19 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 25, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Good choice with the red bag! I always try to get colorful bags, because then you don’t have to worry about wearing your brown bag while wearing a black outfit (and vice versa).

Dinner looks awesome, as always!

20 Brittany August 25, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Cute bag!

21 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice August 25, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I really like the red bag. It’s a good red too, and it can match many different colors. Good choice!

22 NYCRunnerGirl August 25, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Etsy is the best! I’m sure you’ll find something reasonable there.

23 Gwen August 25, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I LOVE the look and function of the Kelly Moore bags -http://kellymoorebag.com/index.php. Not really easy on the budget but the fashion and functionability is hot!

24 Sheri August 25, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Love the new bag very cute! I so wish we had Target in Canada.

I got my camera bag from PorteenGear on esty! I absolutely love it! Check it out, the service was great and delivery was fast.

25 Rebeca August 25, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Have you seen the “epiphanie bags” they’re not exactly cheap but Mighty Girl AND the Pioneer Woman use them which is enough for me but they’re incredibly gorgeous to boot!

26 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) August 25, 2010 at 11:32 pm

I was at Best Buy a few weeks ago and saw a great camera bag by Swiss Gear that looked exactly like a black purse – you may want to check there!

27 Alison August 26, 2010 at 12:09 am

I was thinking tonight of your post re: running and gastro-intestinal problems from a week or two ago.
Word of advice: If you’re lactose intolerant, don’t go for a 7 mile run a few hours after eating 2 scoops of ice cream at the work ice cream social. It makes the last mile or two of your run torturous rather than exhilarating. ๐Ÿ™‚

28 Marina August 26, 2010 at 2:52 am

Now you reminded me that I need a bag for my notebook :/
You’re making me crave seitan with that dinner!

29 sarah (the SHU box) August 26, 2010 at 6:56 am

i LOVE the red bag!

and i know you had mentioned liking my orla bag — while they can be pricey, the website does have sales sometimes where they slash prices in half! i think some of them would work as camera bags, although not if you are looking for something super-padded. http://orlakiely.com

30 Lauren August 26, 2010 at 6:57 am

I love the bag. I’m in the market for a new work bag too! I’ll have to hit up TJ max. They always have a great selection.

31 Katie August 26, 2010 at 7:11 am

I am loving the bag! Target does have great bags!!!

Oh etsy is such a great site!!!!!

hope you have a great day! xoxo

32 Aut August 26, 2010 at 7:27 am

Heads up lady… I teach high school and bought a bag like that myself from Target (actually Marshalls, but the same brand). The straps broke near the base where they are stitched. They don’t stand upright forever, and when they bend the begin to weigh on themselves and tear.

33 shelly@campinggirlchronicals August 26, 2010 at 8:04 am

Love the computer bag!

34 Britt August 26, 2010 at 8:09 am

The Shoot Sac is an adorable camera bag/could-be-a-purse. I don’t know their order times but I love how you can pick all different kinds of cute fabric. http://shootsac.com/

35 Stacey August 26, 2010 at 8:53 am

That purse is so cute ๐Ÿ˜€ I can’t believe you can acutally fit a whole laptop in there! Target has the best purses, one time Iwent in there and was able to find 2 adorable purses for $16!!!

36 Brandi August 26, 2010 at 9:22 am

I have the SAME red bag!!! It’s awesome. I bought it for the Foodbuzz Festival trip last year and loved it!

37 Anne @ a daily slice August 26, 2010 at 9:43 am

Target’s the best place to get bags!! I always find them on clearance for like $6!! I should make a trip soon…

38 Ashleigh August 26, 2010 at 9:44 am

Ooo! That sauce sounds yummy. I love all of the ingredients but never would have thought to throw them all together!

39 anotherannabanana August 26, 2010 at 9:53 am

What an adorable bag! Doesn’t getting new travel stuff make you even more excited to travel?? I just bought a new suitcase and I’m ready for it to get here so I can pack it up and go!

40 pinkflipflops August 26, 2010 at 10:17 am

I really like that bag!

41 JsEverydayFashion August 26, 2010 at 11:20 am

Love the red bag!! Good choice chica!! Not so sure about the camera bag though. I thought it was a purse at first, would rather just have a plain black camera bag in my opinion. Have fun in NYC! ๐Ÿ™‚

42 Meghann August 26, 2010 at 11:31 am

haha – that’s the point! ๐Ÿ™‚ I want it to look like a purse so when I’m hauling it around NYC next week I won’t feel so out of place ๐Ÿ™‚

43 Rachel August 26, 2010 at 11:23 am

Love the bag! I too need a new bag, as my Vera Bradley is starting to fade and tear from my heavy laptop. Gotta stay stylish and practical when you’re a writer in the city : ) I’m determined to find something that doesn’t kill my shoulders..laptops plus other material gets VERY heavy!

44 Denise August 26, 2010 at 12:13 pm

TOO FUNNY! I also had a Vera Bradley that is entirely not large enough and I bought the SAME bag at Target Monday night! I LOVE it! I’m taking college algrebra (AGAIN!) beginning Monday night and needed something large enough to hold my book and computer…

45 Cassie August 26, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I have that same exact bag from Target! I could easily spend my entire paycheck there ๐Ÿ™‚

I really like the Kelly Moore bags: http://kellymoorebag.com/full.html

I know they’re expensive, but would definitely be a good investment if you are taking your camera out a bunch. I’m currently in LOVE with the cranberry croc one-swoon!

Oh, I added you on Twitter: sassycassie3232

46 Tami August 26, 2010 at 3:32 pm

have you used those lunch bags I sent you? I have a better way to close them now, the Velcro wasn’t the best

47 Pearl Lee August 26, 2010 at 3:56 pm

that bag is so cute! what size laptop do you have?