The Last of Summer

by Meghann on August 23, 2010

What is it about a colorful bowl of food that makes me so happy?

IMG_6321

I can’t decide if it’s because A) I know that it’s good for me or b) I know that it’s going to extra tasty.

Extra colors = more nutrients & flavor, right? 😉

IMG_6316

As summer draws to an end I’m desperately seeking out as many summer favorites as I can. I fully intend to stuff myself silly of fresh berries, fruit, basil, tomatoes, and various other items over the next couple of weeks. Don’t judge.

A part of me is looking forward to fall squash and veggies, but I’m not quite ready to fully commit to those items yet. 😉

Today’s mix was very summer inspired and included a combination of 1/2 a peach, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, and fresh basil. I drizzled everything with balsamic vinegar this morning and left it in the fridge to marinate while I was at work. When it was time for lunch I added the mix to a bed of spinach and topped everything with some mixed nuts.

IMG_6324

The combination was seriously out of this world. The peaches really soaked up the balsamic flavor and that paired with fresh basil and feta was absolute perfection. There is something about fresh basil that just instantly gives any dish a summer flavor to it. Love 🙂

With my salad I had a piece of toast with hummus.

IMG_6314

IMG_6319

Sun Chips were my snack of choice this morning

IMG_6309

Did you know the new Sun Chips bag is aiding to noise pollution? True story.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

P.S. I love the hard hitting news stories that the Today Show reports on. It still doesn’t stop me form being their #1 fan. 😉

Peace!

1 rc1001 August 23, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I’ve got a big colorful bowl for lunch myself! Whole wheat pasta, broccoli, cauliflower, red peppers, zuccini, squash, olive oil, parmesan cheese. Yum!!

2 BBx2 - Mandy & jR August 23, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Beautiful lunch!

I agree – I’m looking forward to the veggies and fruit of fall… but not quite sure I’m ready to give up summer yet. No matter how hot it’s been in Nashville this year!

What kind of hummus did you use? It looks so good!

3 Meghann August 23, 2010 at 2:03 pm

It’s Sabras Olive Hummus

4 Beth August 23, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I’m the same way about colors in my food – the more, the better!

5 Freya (Brit Chick Runs) August 23, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Oohh I can’t wait for all the winter stuff!! In fact I’ve been eating it all year round anyway :p
LOVE that lunch!

6 Sana August 23, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I am more likely to eat something that is colorful. True story 🙂

7 rebecca lustig August 23, 2010 at 2:06 pm

i feel like everyone is rushing into fall without enjoying what’s left of summer! it’s almost sad!

live it up girl. i got yoo back

8 culturalcravings August 23, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I think food that is presented well, and this is including lots of color, just makes the food taste better.

9 LiveForTheRun August 23, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I recognize your nuts…they look very HLS familiar, lol.

Where would we be without Dina Lohan’s appearance with Matt Lauer!

10 Nicole - yuppie yogini August 23, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Mmmm…sun chips! I’m waiting to have blood work done and haven’t been ae to eat a thing today. This post is making my mouth water!

11 ellaroo88 August 23, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Love the color! BTW I think it’s because the today show reports silly things that I like it. Sometimes you need a break from hard news.

12 Rebecca August 23, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Sun Chips bad is aiding noise pollution? What does that mean?

13 Diana August 23, 2010 at 5:17 pm

lol I think she meant “Sun Chips bag.”
I’ve seen those bags before! I think they actually say right on the bag that they contribute to noise pollution. They are seriously VERY NOISY when you hold them–normal bag crinkling sound times 1000000!

14 NYCRunnerGirl August 23, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Haha, I love the Today Show. My husband sarcastically says that those stories are about “ordinary people doing extraordinary things.” It’s kind of true though!

15 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 23, 2010 at 3:06 pm

The salad looks delicious! I’ve never thought of putting peaches in my salad. Maybe that’s also because I don’t make salads that often–I don’t feel like they satisfy the hunger monster enough. Do you have any tips of making salads that have more staying power?

16 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) August 23, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I’m with you on loving colourful food. I do not want to eat a plate of white, it just can’t have any flavour! Salads with as many things chucked in as possible are a definite winner!

17 mishfish13 August 23, 2010 at 3:14 pm

i now have a craving for your salads 🙂 I’ve always tried to get into basalmic! but it always turns out so intense…

18 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com August 23, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Ooohhhh…What kind of hummus is that? It looks crammed full of goodness! 😉

19 KatieTX August 23, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I thought Florida summer extends to October like Texas summer does…

20 newleafeats August 23, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I’m definitely ready to commit to fall food. I’m about to drive myself bonkers not having access to canned pumpkin here right now.

21 Ainsley August 23, 2010 at 5:40 pm

“Did you know the new Sun Chips bag is aiding to noise pollution? Trust story. ”

Meghann, can you translate? I’m not sure what you meant there, but I’m curious!

22 molly August 23, 2010 at 5:51 pm

there are plenty of other loud things in life that contribute to actual noise pollution.
at least there are redeeming qualities to sun chips, like it’s the first chip bag that can be composted

23 barelabeezy August 23, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I want that salad, NOW!! Actually I just had lunch so I’ll dream about it and make it tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

24 Lauren August 23, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Love peaches in salads, especially with balsamic. Now I know just what I want to make for lunch tomorrow. 😉

25 KeepItSweet August 23, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I feel the same way about being torn between enjoying summer produce and craving fall foods like pumpkin!

26 Pearl Lee August 23, 2010 at 8:20 pm

beautiful bowl of veggies!

27 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self August 23, 2010 at 8:24 pm

You should think about freezing some fresh berries so that you can enjoy them all throughout the winter!

28 tropicaleats August 23, 2010 at 8:42 pm

i saw that the other day about those chip bags! ppl are crazy lol.

29 Amber@momsgottheruns August 23, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I can totally see the “noise pollution” with those new sunchips bags! Those things could wake someone out of a dead sleep! : D