Easy

by Meghann on August 23, 2010

Because all posts really should start with Maddie..

Right? πŸ˜‰

Oh Mondays, how I loathe you so.

Today actually wasn’t that bad.

Just a lot of playing catch up and organizing myself for the month ahead. I have quite a few projects coming up in the next month and a task list that is 5 pages long to go with them. Organizing myself and getting my head on straight was a monster to tackle, but such a huge relief in the end.

While organizing I had some applesauce and granola. .

My brain was on information overload by the time I arrived home and all I wanted to do was crash. Instead of reaching for the nearest frozen meal I decided to prep an easy 4-ingredient dinner that took about as much time to prepare as any frozen meal would. AND was probably 100 times tastier. πŸ˜‰

I started with some broccoli rabe i picked up on sale at Publix this weekend.

I’ve had broccoli rabe several times at restaurants in the past, but I’ve never actually made it at home nor did I know what do with it.

Do I eat it whole? Do I clean it up? Do I chop it up?

So many questions!

In the end I played it safe and went with my no-fail approach to cooking any veggie. When in doubt – steam it!

The broccoli rabe received a 5 minute steam bath and was served plain with just a sprinkle of salt.

Steaming was definitely the way to go. The broccoli rabe had just the right amount of chewiness while still remaining tender and delicious.

Next up – the seitan

IMG_6351.jpg

hrow in some onions and broccoli, douse with barbeque sauce, add a hoagie and you’ve got yourself a killer bbq sandwich.

It’s kind of scary how similar seitan is to chicken.

BBq seitan on a hoagie with steamed broccoli rabe. Easy enough for me. πŸ™‚

Fresh figs and an Attune chocolate bar for dessert.

I was finally brave enough to try the Herbal Water that came in our HLS swag bags this evening.

IMG_6360.jpg

I took a chance, but just as I had assumed, I wasn’t a fan.

I did, however, come up with the grand idea of dilluting the flavored water with some unsweetened tea.

Genuis

For some reason the tea handled the Lemongrass Mint Vanilla flavor much better than the plain water had. If you weren’t a fan of the herbal water, I would suggest adding a splash to a glad of tea as well. It really makes a big difference. πŸ™‚

And just as every post should begin with Maddie, every post should end with her as well. πŸ˜‰

Good Night!

1 Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) August 23, 2010 at 9:13 pm

I really like mixing unsweetened iced tea, lemonade, and seltzer together. Perfect for hot summer days!

2 Evan Thomas August 23, 2010 at 9:14 pm

I wasn’t a fan of that water either. It wasn’t sweet, but had an aftertaste. It was just unpleasant.

3 Angie From Merried Life August 23, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I always spent my Monday mornings getting organized. Sometimes, if I can manage, I’ll actually wake up 20-30 minutes earlier than usual just to have time to sit down, prioritize, and make a to do list. I’m always exhausted by the end of the day on Mondays but I feel less stressed and ready to tackle the day ahead!

Faux meat that looks/feels/tastes too much like the “real thing” always freaks me out a bit…

4 Leianna August 23, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Never tried broccoli rabe before, looks interesting! And that looks just like a chicken sub, not seitan so I may need to try that too!
Cute puppy pictures!

5 NYCRunnerGirl August 23, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Yes, every post should begin AND end with Maddie!!

6 Leigh August 23, 2010 at 9:54 pm

It’s so funny to me that you’ve never tried broccoli rabe. I guess if you have not grown up in an italian family you may not have, but it’s also one of the most common menu items at any good italian restaurant. It’s best when sauteed with garlic and olive oil and some red pepper flakes, then paired with a pasta lke orchiette and some sweet italian sauaage. It’s a classic pasta combo.
Steaming it just seems so boring!

7 Meghann August 24, 2010 at 8:02 am

I’ve had it before, I’ve just never cooked it before. It’s a pretty pricey veggie so I’ve always been hesitant on buying it. πŸ™‚

8 Marie August 23, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I’m loving the Maddie beginnings and endings. Very necessary πŸ™‚ Love your dinner idea! Making that tomorrow for sure.

9 Sana August 23, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I was not crazy abt the water either, I like water for what it is. Simple and clean πŸ™‚

10 runningwithsass August 23, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I love the puppy pics, no judgement here!

11 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com August 23, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Whoa. I actually thought the seitan was chicken until I kept reading. They look almost exactly alike! I need to try… πŸ™‚

12 christina cadden August 23, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Your puppy is so cute!

13 keribop August 23, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Awwwww, puppy pictures are a no-fail way to please anyone and everyone! I’ve never heard of seitan to be honest…. definitely going to look into it though; your BBQ sandwich looks heavenly!

14 Molly August 23, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I NEED to get figs! They always look so good on your blog!

xo-Molly

15 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 23, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Maddie is so adorable!

Here’s a question: can you find seitan at any regular grocery store or do I need to make a trip to Whole Foods to try? It looks less scary to me than tofu for some reason πŸ™‚

16 Meghann August 24, 2010 at 5:27 am

You may be abel to find it at some regular grocery stores, but I know I can only find it locally at Whole Foods.

17 Pearl Lee August 23, 2010 at 11:06 pm

beautiful maddie! and what creative, healthy ideas for dinner!

18 Jessica @ The Process of Healing August 23, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Ohh I looove broccoli rabe!

19 gloriousgreens August 23, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Maddie is such a ham! Looks like she loves the camera.

20 Alisha August 24, 2010 at 1:28 am

I’m not a fan of any of the flavored waters I’ve tried over the years. Aside from a slice of lemon/lime for an extra zing, plain old water is perfect as it is. My parents are addicted to the Crystal Lite mix in packets and have had me try every flavor they make, I think, and I can’t stand the fake, artificial taste it adds or in most cases, how sickeningly sweet it makes my water.

And I wish my dog was as photogenic as Maddie! He’s all about sniffing the lens and trying to figure out if it’s a toy for him.

21 Marina August 24, 2010 at 4:03 am

Maddie is so adorable πŸ™‚
Dinner sounds delicious, I love seitan.

22 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 24, 2010 at 8:00 am

YESS I love that you call them hoagies too. What’s a sub? It’s a HOAGIE πŸ™‚ Hope you have a great day!

23 RhodeyGirl August 24, 2010 at 8:36 am

YUMMMM I LOVE figs!

24 biz319 August 24, 2010 at 8:57 am

I want a tiny dog like Maddie – my 90 pound dog thinks he’s a lap dog!

25 pursuitofhealthfulness August 24, 2010 at 9:14 am

Maddie is just too cute.

I’ve never made broccoli rabe at home, either, but that sounds like a good method.

26 LiveForTheRun August 24, 2010 at 9:15 am

That’s a cool twist on tea.

I totally think Indiana Jones and Maddie would make a hot little number.

27 Brittney August 24, 2010 at 9:36 am

I’m totally fine with all your posts starting and ending with pics of Maddie πŸ™‚

28 Jo August 24, 2010 at 9:51 am

Seitan is so yummy. good call.

29 Jen August 24, 2010 at 9:58 am

My Mom just got a puppy, her name is Maddie too, cuteness all around!!! I have never even heard of seitan before, but now I’m going to be on the lookout!

Jen