more ยป" />

14 + 4 = 18

by Meghann on August 21, 2010

As I inch closer and closer to the Chicago Marathon, my mileage is slowly starting to creep up. Just a few weeks ago I remember struggling with twelve miles in the heat and this morning I set out to conquer eighteen. It’s pretty surreal.

I can still remember the first time I ran 18 miles over a year and a half ago now. I remember setting out on my own in the dark and ready to embrace a new journey I had never been on. There’s something exciting and thrilling about running a new distance and after that 18 I felt like I was on cloud.

This morning I hoped to recreate that same feeling.

Last night I prepped for my early morning run by filling my camelbak with gatorade, setting my alarm for a god awful time for a Saturday, and prepping a stomach friendly breakfast.

One Arnold’s Thin with Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter and Strawberries. ๐Ÿ™‚

I was out the door by 6:00am and immediately felt like all was right with the world. It’s easy to tell from the very beginning if you’re going to have a good run or a not-so-good run. I knew this was going to be a good run.

I ran the first 14 miles on an out and back trail near my apartment. On the trail I ran into a running group that was setting out for 5 miles of their own. They were really welcoming and I ended running one or two miles while chatting it up with them. They commented on my pace and we discussed what runs we were training for. It felt good to make friends on the trail. ๐Ÿ™‚

My long runs are slowly starting to feel easier and more attainable. The earlier starts and gatorade have been tremendous life savers the last couple of weeks. I finished my 14 on cloud nine and ready to tackle the final 4!

I swung back to the apartment to pick Derek up for the final 4. Derek is currently training for the Wine & Dine Half in October and is slowly building his mileage back up.

Problem is Derek took a bit of a running break after he ran Gasparilla in March. He has slowly been getting back into running, but is really struggling to get back to where he was. The heat was really getting to him this morning and if you mix that in with some leg pain and his current lack of endurance he was really struggling in the first mile.

I felt so bad that I told him to turn back at the 1.5 mile mark and I would meet him back at home. ๐Ÿ™

Those last two miles without Derek were awful, especially when I was looking forward to running them with him. I felt bad for leaving Derek behind, the sun was out in full swing and my ipod was now at home. Boooo….

I finished, but those last 4 weren’t nearly as awesome as the first 14.

After our run Derek and I dove right in the pool (clothes and all). It was glorious. ๐Ÿ™‚

You knew this was in my future. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I swear it tasted like chocolate ice cream!

IMG_5901.jpg

• Frozen Mango
  • Frozen Pineapple
  • Ice
  • Almond Milk
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Peanut Butter
  • Chia Seeds
  • Flax Seeds
  • Chocolate Vega Shake & Go Powder

The Chocolate Vega Shake & Go Powder was courtesy of the Healthy Living Swag Bag.

IMG_5903.jpg

I’m scared to try it with just water or milk (not really by thing), but I thought it would make a great addition to the smoothie!

IMG_5907.JPG IMG_5909.JPG

Smoothies for 2

IMG_5915.JPG IMG_5919.JPG

Topped with Granola, Dried Fruit, and Dark Chocolate Edamame

Perfection! And Derek agreed it tasted like chocolate ice cream too! ๐Ÿ™‚

We ate while finishing Kick Ass from last night.

I wasn’t a fan of the movie. It was VERY violent and graphic. The story line was ok, but I think I was to thrown off by all the heads blowing up.

The swim suit is on and the pool is calling my name.

Happy Saturday everyone!!

1 Faith August 21, 2010 at 11:14 am

I actually like stupid comedies but you’re right, kick ass was just…ew. Not a fan :/ Your smoothie looks incredible though, and I love your bowl!

2 Katie August 21, 2010 at 11:22 am

Meghann, you never cease to amaze me with your ability to conquer any run! I was wondering, does Derek choose to run because of being influenced in a way by you or does he enjoy running as well?

3 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com August 21, 2010 at 11:30 am

Glad you had a great run! I had a 12 miler this morning, and you’re right, I knew from the moment I stepped out the door that it wasn’t going to be a great run. Ugh. One foot in front of the other though. ๐Ÿ™‚

Smoothie bowls are the best! I need to try this Vega mix…

4 britchickruns August 21, 2010 at 11:32 am

Well done on the run! I so admire your dedication to it ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve got a 13 tomorrow, and an 18in a few weeks…I’m so scared! Any tips to beat the boredom!? The farthest I’ve evr gone is 16..:s

5 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 21, 2010 at 11:33 am

I’ve been drinking up that Vega (with fruit/veg additions) too and I’m loving it! Love the snowflake/winter bowl!! Seems like a million years away but it’s going to be the holidays again soon enough.

Great job on the run, Meghann!

6 Leianna August 21, 2010 at 11:36 am

Great smoothie, that Vega stuff sounds good.

7 Tricia August 21, 2010 at 11:44 am

Great job on the run! Post run smoothie in a bowl looked delish.
Hubby is also doing Chicago so I will give you a shout out cheer if I see you:)
LOVE your blog!!!! You have a new fan in Louisville, KY

8 Nicci@NiftyEats August 21, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I’m loving the Vega from HLS, I put blueberries and bananas in mine with almond milk or soy. Congrats on the mileage too!

9 Amy @ Second City Randomness August 21, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I love that Shake/Smoothie mix. I’m not a huge smoothie person, but I have found through random experimenting that throwing it into my hot oatmeal makes for a nice chocolate-y breakfast when I’ve got a serious sweet craving… Just a thought. ๐Ÿ™‚

And I saw Kick-Ass in the theater unfortunately. I thought it’d be more stupid funny, not a graphic anime kind of thing… I was disappointed. And kind of grossed out. And sad to see all the 10-year-old kids in the theater…

10 Naomi(onefitfoodie) August 21, 2010 at 12:07 pm

that smoothie mix is SO delicious and it so does taste like chocolate ice cream!!!

11 Dorry August 21, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Congrats on an awesome run! That has to feel amazing. ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

12 Amber@momsgottheruns August 21, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Meghann! Great job on the run! 18 miles…holy cow! When we get home from vacation we’re upping our mileage to 9 (doing a half-marathon), and that seems like a lot to me!!! : D We always end up running at night, because southern summers are horrible! While on vacation, we started running in the mornings and I think I like that better. If only I was a morning person…

13 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 21, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Your breakfast looks really delicious- especially the toppings!! I’ve never heard of dark chocolate edamame before – where in the world do you find that?!

14 Kelly August 21, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Aww I feel Derek’s pain! Getting your mileage and endurance back up is no fun!

15 Molly August 21, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Hi Meghann! Congrats on the run! I am new to marathon training (did 18 mi this morning too!) but wanted to ask you about pacing. I don’t have a set “goal” time for my first marathon, but I have been paying attention to my garmins. When you run, if you stop (bathroom, water, pick up another person), do you stop your watch or include it in the time? I never stop for walking breaks but have stopped for the bathroom/water (usually 2-3 times maybe over the course of a run like this). I just want to know the best way to gauge my “pace”?

Again, congrats and hope you rest up and eat up now!

16 runningwithsass August 21, 2010 at 12:52 pm

good job!!! thats awesome!

17 Meg August 21, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Congrats on a great run meghaan ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Meg August 21, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Wow – I totally misspelled Meghann – sorry!!

19 Dione August 21, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I’m always in awe when you do your long runs. Especially since you aleways seem so upbeat after! Hopefully one day I will get there…
Your smoothie bowl looks yum! I bookmarked one of your recipes awhile back, I’m going to have to try it soon.

20 Sana August 21, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I think I will use the Vega for smoothies as well- I am not food adventurous- what an awesome run! Derek will get back into it ASAP!

21 Chelsea August 21, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Good work on completing that long run! I always love that part of training where you look back and realize that something that seemed SO hard just a few weeks ago is a breeze now.

Tell Derek not to get discouraged; his endurance and speed will come back sooner than he thinks! I’ve had to take weeks of for injuries before, so I feel his pain.

I agree on Kick-Ass though. It was a little weird. My boyfriend loved it though. Go see Scott Pilgrim vs. the World when you have a chance–its a quirky movie that is truly KICK-ASS!

22 Kristin August 21, 2010 at 3:48 pm

This is too funny — I also did 18 this morning, a PDR for me. Go me! It started pouring on me about mile 13 but I was doing and out and back so I soldiered on. (Actually, it made it a lot cooler, so I didn’t mind at that point!) Then I came home and officially registered for the Detroit Marathon, a week after Chicago. It’s my first, and today was the first long run day that I felt like, yes, I can really do this. Thanks for sharing your training with us!

23 christina cadden August 21, 2010 at 5:48 pm

That protein powder looks amazing!

24 Alisha August 21, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Your plates always make me smile. I especially love the star plate you have and found one sort of like it at Target, but resisted buying any because it was plastic. I kind of have a bad addiction to the colorful plastic-ware that comes out for each season and sore off buying anything new for my New Year’s resolution (dead serious).

I realized the other day that I had grabbed a pair of snowflake undies on a day when the heat index reached 110 and I couldn’t stop giggling when I thought about then. Dumb, but it’s the little things!

25 Jenna August 21, 2010 at 9:19 pm