more ยป" />

My Spin on Deep Dish

by Meghann on August 20, 2010

My two favorites are back together again.

I think Maddie missed Derek just as much as I did. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Can you believe it has been a month since we last saw each other?!?! Far too long in my opinion!

In honor of mine and Derek’s (and Maddie’s) reunion I promised Derek I would bake him a little piece of Chicago in the form of a deep dish pizza.

Rumor has it the key to a great deep dish crust is butter. Which makes sense because doesn’t butter really make everything better anyways? Tami had heard me raving about the amazing deep dish crust at Ginos’s East and was kind enough to send me a link to this recipe for the perfect deep dish crust.

I followed the recipe exactly (full butter and all). The end result was a lovely bowl of dough that was left to sit and rise for an hour.

A beer helped the hour pass.

IMG_5798.jpg

After the dough doubled in size I split it in half, put half in the freezer, and stretched the other half to a 9 inch cake pan.

Per the directions I baked the crust first for 15 minutes and prepped the toppings.

Fresh Mozzarella, Mushrooms, Basil, Onion, Tomato, Soy Crumbles, and Olives

Marinara sauce to finish it off

15 minutes later…

IMG_5818.JPG IMG_5819.JPG

Not quite Chicago deep dish, but pretty darn close.

I was going for a thick, crispy crust, but ended up with more of a chewy, dense crust. It was still delicious and I enjoyed every bite, just not quite what I had in mind. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I had half of the pizza for dinner this evening.

With massaged kale salad.

Nom Nom Nom

I had a coupon for dessert!

1 small Scoop Froggy Frog Italian Ice with Vanilla Soft Serve

IMG_2731.jpg

It had been far too long since I had Jeremiah’s! Last Fall I swear I was there every other weekend. Which reminds me… Only one more month until the pumpkin italian ice makes a come back! I’m counting down the days. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Movie time!

Anyone seen it? So far it’s a little weird.

Good Night.

1 Evan Thomas August 20, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Butter in the crust is the secret? I usually use EVOO. I’ll have to switch it up next time.

2 Ash Bear August 20, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Derek looks just like Bob Saget at that angle!! Have fun!!

3 Sana August 20, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Yay!!! A month is wayyyy too long!! I am happy you are having a fun date night ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Meg August 20, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Never seen that movie! Let us know how it is! I’m glad you and Derek are reunited! A month is wayyy too long! Enjoy yourself ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Dione August 20, 2010 at 11:35 pm

I cannot believe it’s been a month! Hope you have a fun reunion!
The pizza looks yummy, I’m going to definitely try green olives next time. Have a fun weekend!

6 Chelsea August 20, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Kick-Ass is kick ass ๐Ÿ™‚ No actually, it’s pretty good; just not what I expected when I rented it.

Pizza looks delish though. My mouth is seriously watering. What is froggy italian ice? What does it taste like?

7 angela August 20, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I love Honey Moon, I swear, I can drink it like I drink water :o)

mmmm, I don’t remember having a deep dish pizza, but maybe you had to press the dough sort of pie shaped for the consistency?

Anyway, I saw Kick-Ass a couple of weeks ago and it’s so bad ass and funny. But the downside is, the girl had to do six months of therapy because of her role. I don’t blame her, pretty grueling what she has to do.

Have a sweet time with derek

8 Melissa @ TryingToHeal August 21, 2010 at 12:15 am

how did i never get that frozen treat when i was in FL!?!?!?! tragedy!!!

9 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) August 21, 2010 at 12:19 am

It is a very bizarre movie, but I enjoyed it.

10 hira August 21, 2010 at 12:45 am

hey meghann! im a long-time, in-the-closet reader and i’ve finally decided enough is enough! i love your blog, and definitely read it everyday. your creative meal ideas are great for new flavor inspirations haha. anyways, kick-ass is a weird movie, but it liked it as well—you just have to go with it, weird super-heros and all.

my best friend and i just started our own blog, http://www.standingintadasana.blogspot.com

obviously, we share a love for yoga ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Michelle August 21, 2010 at 1:59 am

Bummer that the pizza didn’t turn out, but it still looks good!!

12 Michelle August 21, 2010 at 5:41 am

me and my friends are somewhat obsessed with kick-ass. it’s different and weird… but in a good way! i know what you mean about waiting a month. i LOVE pumpkin anything!

13 Kristy @ KristyRuns.com August 21, 2010 at 6:39 am

I am counting down ’til October too! Pumpkin lattes, pumpkin pies, pumpkin bread, etc.! My favorite time of the year! ๐Ÿ™‚

14 Anne @thefitbridesmaid August 21, 2010 at 6:59 am

After all you guys have been in Chicago, I had the same thought (about making homemade deep dish). I’m not surprised that butter would be a secret ingredient. Maybe next time, try to get it up on the sides more, similar to a pie crust. That’s how I always have seen deep dish in Chi-town.

15 sarah (the SHU box) August 21, 2010 at 7:21 am

i am TOTALLY impressed! and inspired ๐Ÿ™‚ i will have to try this soon!

16 Niki (Running In Pink) August 21, 2010 at 7:28 am

That ice cream looks so amazing!! So does the pizza! I’ll have to try out that crust recipe and see if I can replicate my own Chicago deep dish. Gino’s East does have an amazing crust. Gosh, now I’m hungry! ๐Ÿ™‚

17 gracefulfitness August 21, 2010 at 8:53 am

My husband watched Kick Ass in bed next to me while I faded in and out of a sickness-induced stupor, so I have awful memories of way too much action for my delicate state. How did you like it?

18 Ashleigh August 21, 2010 at 9:42 am

Mmmm that deep dish looks yummy! I never thought to put green olives on my pizza, great idea!

19 Victoria August 21, 2010 at 10:09 am

I love deep dish so much! I get it everytime I go back home to Chicago. I’ve thought about making my own, but my husband hates it. ๐Ÿ™

20 Jillian @reshapeyourlife August 21, 2010 at 11:00 am

That must be so nice to see Derek after so long!! Thats crazy! And that pizza looks good! I don’t have a crust preference it just depends on my mood, thin, crunchy, dough-y… it’s all good in my book. But I’ve never tried deep dish!

21 Courtney August 21, 2010 at 11:02 am

Gino’s East has a cornbread crust, so next time try adding more cornmeal and less flour. My great uncle founded Gino’s, and even I don’t know the crust recipe!!

22 Nancy @ The Wife of a Dairyman August 21, 2010 at 11:34 am

I wonder what the trick is to deep dish pizza dough? If you ever find out, let us know:)

23 Shanna, like Banana August 21, 2010 at 11:36 am

I’m very impressed that you tackled deep dish! It looks pretty darn good if you ask me! Too bad I can’t lick my screen (kidding..err yeah)

24 biz319 August 21, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Meghann, the only way you get a crispy crust is to preheat your oven proof skillet for like 30 minutes before you put your dough in – then put oil (not a lot) in the bottom of the skillet, add your dough and bake it for 15 minutes.

Then take the dough out of your pan, add your toppings and cook the remainder of the time just on your oven rack – the heat of the oven will crisp up even the sides that way – let me know if you try it!

And great run!

25 postcollegecook August 21, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I have never considered making my own deep dish before (I’m from the Chicago area so I guess I just took it for granted there) but that sounds delish! It looks like your crust didn’t rise enough, hence the denseness.

26 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) August 22, 2010 at 3:18 pm

What a long time to go without seeing Derek! I bet it was fun being reunited.

27 Jocelyn August 26, 2010 at 9:38 am

I can’t wait for all things pumpkin! Pumpkin spiced icecream, pumpkin spiced lattes, pumpkin ale, pumpkin pie!! Yay!!