Wednesday Weights

by Meghann on August 18, 2010

Good Morning!

This morning I hit the gym for some weight training a la Emily. I followed her 15 strength exercises circuit, but could only complete it once instead of the recommended two time due to time constraints. Wouldn’t it be nice to have unlimited time at the gym or for runs? Le sigh.

Actually my morning looked like this:

• 15 minute Ab Fitness Class
  • 20 minutes Elliptical
  • 30 minutes Strength Training
  • 5 minutes cool down/ stretching

I’m going to try and dedicate every Wednesday to strength training at the gym. Hopefully, I’ll stick to it, but we’ll see. 🙂

I was eyeing the kettle balls this morning and would love to test the out next week, but have no idea how to use.

Anyone have any kettle ball recommendations? Please share!

After shower time it was breakfast time!

IMG_5605

IMG_5608

The cereal portion

IMG_5611

Plain Yogurt

IMG_5612

Berries

IMG_5610

Pretty for presentation

IMG_5614

What it really looks like when I eat it.

IMG_5618

Nom Nom Nom

I should post a photo of my to do list. It’s three pages long and mostly red (which means overdue) Yikes!

Best get on it!

1 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 18, 2010 at 8:54 am

I guess you could have unlimited time if you wake up early enough 😛

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 18, 2010 at 8:55 am
3 carly August 18, 2010 at 8:56 am

I’m with you about not having enough time … I wish we didn’t need to sleep! I’m one of those people who HAS to have at least seven hours. While I know that is the recommended amount of sleep, I wish I could be one of those people who got by with three hours and some coffee.

4 gloriousgreens August 18, 2010 at 8:58 am

I’ve also been dying to try the kettle balls. My work gym was running a class but it was insanely expensive. I found this when I was searching on google, so I didn’t look completely crazy at the gym.

But I know there are alot of two arm exercises as well. Maybe I’ll ask the owner for a demo.

5 Elisa August 18, 2010 at 9:02 am

Hola Meghann!
I have been reading you for the longest time and I feel today is the time to finally say hello! I thought you would like to know I read you all the way from Spain 😀 (by the way, excuse any grammar/spelling mistakes- I’m obviously not an English native speaker!)
I have a question for you, I hope you don’t mind- why do you have to lock Maddie in a crate everytime you leave the house? Is she particularly missbehaved, or everybody does the same in US? Here in Spain, we usually take care to remove obvious pet dangers, and leave them wandering freely at home- maybe locked in a particular room if they are stilllittle puppies. Yeah, I know it’s not a healthy living related question at all, sorry, but I was too curious not to ask!
Un saludo! 😉

6 ellaroo88 August 18, 2010 at 9:03 am

I’ve also always found a kettle ball interesting. We used weight balls in high school but those are different. Hmm. . ..

7 britchickruns August 18, 2010 at 9:14 am

I love that container!! I want one 😀
I’ve never used kettlebells either..tey look scary :s

8 mlreed89 August 18, 2010 at 9:18 am

Search “kettle ball” on Shape.com or Self.com, they usually have great videos of exercises so you can see what to do. I always find written strength exercise instructions to be really difficult to follow, so the websites offer great video alternatives.

9 Melissa August 18, 2010 at 9:21 am

I was just doing a kettle ball workout at the gym, the September issue of Women’s Health has a 20 min kettle ball workout on page 40 something, but I bet you can find it on their website too!

10 Kelly August 18, 2010 at 9:22 am

Kelly at Healthy Living with Kelly once had her husband who’s a personal trainer do a kettle ball workout. Here’s the post!

11 Molly August 18, 2010 at 9:39 am

I agree! I hate not having enough time…but it seems like whenever I do, I dont have enough energy to do it all! Oh well, I love lifting weights though. Call me crazy but I love it way more than cardio…its almost relaxing for me!

xo-Molly

12 Amanda August 18, 2010 at 9:44 am

I too wish I had unlimited gym time! Darn job 🙂

13 Jessica August 18, 2010 at 9:44 am

Hi Meghann!
I use Kettlebells all the time with my trainer! Some really easy and common moves are:
– swings (good for getting heart rate up and working the butt)
– turkish get-up http://www.wannabebig.com/training/the-turkish-get-up/
– you can add them to other exercises like squats (we’ll do a squat with a press), walking lunges (hold the kettlebell in the opposite hand of your lunging out foot, switch hands between legs), skull crushers(works the abs and arms so much!)

🙂

14 Sarah @ SeaEatsArt August 18, 2010 at 10:25 am

I use them also and in the same ways mentioned by Jessica. They are a nice change. Anything to change up a workout is something I like to try! Good luck with them, and I think the idea of “Wednesday Weight Day” is a good one!

15 Kristy@ KristyRuns.com August 18, 2010 at 9:48 am

I o.d. on cardio and totally neglect strength training. Good luck with the kettle bell. 😉

16 runningwithsass August 18, 2010 at 9:48 am

I have seen ppl do ketleball workouts on tv but I have never done any myself. maybe self.com has some videos? they usually do.

17 sunnytropic August 18, 2010 at 9:49 am

I love kettlebells! I took a small group training class at my gym focusing on them last year and learned a lot. If you have never used one before I would look up some vidoes online or take a class or ask a trainer about them…good form is really important because it’s easy to hurt your back swinging them around the wrong way.

I’ve continued to use them on my own 1-2 times a week for the past year since my class and still get sore EVERY time…they are a great tool!

Good luck!

18 Faith August 18, 2010 at 9:53 am

I’m always perfectly happy to just let the time fly by until I get a fire lit under me to go obliterate my to-do list…girl, go get cracking!

19 AllieNic (Frisky Lemon) August 18, 2010 at 10:00 am

I use kettlebells all the time! They’re a big part of the Crossfit workouts these days…

We usually do kettlebell swings (with two hands), but we also sometimes do Turkish Get-ups– they are SO hard! Hard, but gratifying… I learned how to do them from this YouTube video

20 Madeline August 18, 2010 at 10:02 am

Women’s Health this month features a kettlebell routine, and I’m pretty sure Self also has a circuit for kettlebells.

21 KatieTX August 18, 2010 at 10:02 am

Kettlebells are cool and I do recall that Self workout, which is good. Just be careful with kettlebells. Don’t start throwing them around you can really injure your back. Tightening through your core is a must! Also, start off with a 10 lb. one! Here is one move I remember when I learned how to use them a couple years ago: Start standing with your arms straight and locked out in front of you at chest height. Bend knees deeply while keeping a straight spine bring kettlebell with arms still locked straight down to the floor and in between legs if desired. Then return to starting postion. Kettlebells involve a swinging motion!

22 Nicole August 18, 2010 at 10:05 am

There are several options for kettlebell workouts, incorporation in squats, abdominal work, etc…there are several kettlebell video tutorials available online.

23 NYCRunnerGirl August 18, 2010 at 10:06 am

Does your gym offer any classes that use kettle balls? That would be a great way to learn how to use them!

And I definitely agree, I could use unlimited time to fit in running/strength/yoga/etc…

24 Tracy August 18, 2010 at 10:09 am

I try and use kettlebells once a week. It’s such a fun way to add weights into my workouts! The dvd I use is GoFit Kettlebells the Iron Core Way DVD Volume 2. I have been looking for other good dvds but haven’t had much luck. Does anyone have any good dvd suggestions?

25 Marisa August 18, 2010 at 10:11 am

Kettlebells can provide an amazing work out for your entire upper body!` I did them a lot when I was involved in CrossFit. Make sure you take it slow at first and are doing the movements properly. And start with the lightest one! Good luck! 🙂

26 pursuitofhealthfulness August 18, 2010 at 10:32 am

I’m really trying to focus more on strength training, but have trouble committing to it. Fortunately, my boyfriend is helping out!

27 marci1684 August 18, 2010 at 10:42 am

Kettlebells are great! And will kick your butt. Very popular in Crossfit. You should feel it in your lower back.
Here are a few:
KB Swings (most popular)–start between your legs and swing overhead. Keep back tight. Repeat a bajillion times. (or 5 sets of 15)
KB Squats–hold at your chest and squat a bajillion times. Or desired number of sets
Turkish Get Ups–you’ll have to google it.
KB Pushups–one hand on KB do pushup, switch over and over

Don’t be afraid to go heavy. It should be hard.

28 Stephanie August 18, 2010 at 10:44 am

I love this kettle ball workout from a 2008 issue of Self!! I have the cards at home and was lucky enough to find it online for you! 🙂

29 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) August 18, 2010 at 11:03 am

my to-do list is looking the same! Just to make myself feel better, I put things like read & comment on blogs on it. At least I know those things will get done!

30 Emily @ The Front Burner Blog August 18, 2010 at 11:04 am

Ahhh love it. Makes me want to drop and do some pushups. I can’t wait until we move and my workout schedule is finally back on track!!

31 Nikki T August 18, 2010 at 11:07 am

I <3 kettlebell!
I've been doing kettlebell work outs for about a year and an anxious to start classes with my trainer again in Sept!
It's a WONDERFUL workout, with quick results, however if you aren't trained properly you can really hurt yourself trying the exercises, so be careful!

If I lived in Florida, I'd be happy to help you! Sadly, I live in Canada…Edmonton weather: 13 degrees C and cloudy 🙁

32 LiveForTheRun August 18, 2010 at 11:12 am

Can we swap to do list photos please? I’m on to two pages now.

Good stuff with the weights, look out Schwarzenegger. I think Thursday’s will be my “Weight Patiently” days. Kettle balls are the bomb.com. So many ways to swing that thing.

33 gavrielski August 18, 2010 at 11:15 am

I have strength training–and a yogurt, cereal, and berry mess!–on the docket today, too. I might try out Emily’s circuit, as I am always looking for ways to make strength training more exciting and fun. Enjoy your day, and good luck with your to-do list!

34 Becky August 18, 2010 at 11:21 am

Nice work with the weights! I may give that circuit a try. I’ve been trying to add strength training twice a week. Try being the operative word. Running has my heart!

35 Dorry August 18, 2010 at 11:37 am

I LOVED the Attune chocolate granola munch. Nibbled on it all day Saturday…must order some asap! 🙂

36 Krista (kristastes) August 18, 2010 at 11:48 am

Kettlebells are a great alternative to regular weights. It’s fun to mix it up. I like the basic kettlebell swing, turkish getups, clean & press w/bells, and two-hand pulls. You can also hold a kettlebell while doing various squats and lunges. I have a bunch of kettlebells at my gym but also bought my own at target and they came with a DVD with a basic, full-body kettlebell workout so that might be something to check out! Youtube is a great resource as well – I see a few people have posted some links.

37 Paige (RAN) August 18, 2010 at 11:56 am

I love Kettlebels!! They are great for functional strength training – and add an element of fun too 🙂 I wish we had more of them at my gym!

38 hundredtenpounds August 18, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I’ve never tried kettle balls but it’s definitely on my “to do list”. I’ve heard good things!

39 BBx2 - Mandy & jR August 18, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I have to say, I’m a weights girl… I do like some cardio but if I had to choose, I’d do weight training!

I’m not a huge expert with Kettlebells. I have done a couple of work out videos using a 10 lb kettlebell. I know Jillian Michaels has a video using them coming out soon! I can’t wait for that one!

40 Joanna August 18, 2010 at 1:47 pm

That container is so cool! Where did you get it? Would love to find one.

41 Amanda @ Cakes and Ale August 18, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I just wrote out my “ACTION” list for the week… it’s daunting, but it feels good to at least have it on paper… I look foward to scratching some of those things OFF the list!

42 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life August 18, 2010 at 2:33 pm

This is too funny…I laughed when I first saw your orange container. Then I laughed again when I saw your strawberries and blueberries…
If you read my post from today, you’ll see why. 😉
Good taste!

43 Jaci August 18, 2010 at 2:36 pm

As the soon-to-be-wife of a kettle bell instructor, let me know if you want a little circuit to try out!

44 Nic August 18, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Ohhh! I love kettlebells! As others have said in their comments, it’s a great workout but you can easily injury yourself so it might be good to do a little research before you pick one up. I bought an Angie Miller DVD on Amazon and I heart it 50 times over 🙂 She has an intro/tutorial on the DVD that is very helpful! Good luck, I hope you love it as much as I do!

45 Sana August 18, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Yeahhh I CHOOSE not to have unlimited time. Aka I love to sleep! Good luck with your list!

46 Angela August 18, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Hi Megan, I just wanted to say that I started taking Kettlebell back in November when I started training for my Couch to 5k. I’m completely addicted to it and it has improved my running ALOT. Kettlebell is mostly leg, You use your legs for swings and lifting rather than your arms (Your arms get a mega work out as well) But the kettlebell helps strength your core and leg muscles.
Its deffinately one of the best work outs i’ve had. If your gym offers a class i more than suggest taking it!

47 Pearl Lee August 18, 2010 at 2:58 pm

the fresh n fit bowl for yogurt + berries + cereal is fantastic! where could i also get one?

48 Kristyn August 18, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Hi Meghann! Kettlebells are awesome! There’s actually an article about them in Women’s Health this month with a circuit you could do at the gym. At home, my boyfriend and I use the KettleWorx DVD’s we found online. They are good….definitely a hard 20 minute workout. Check out Women’s Health this month for circuit! You could totally bust that out in the gym. I think they are better than free weights because you are using your whole body, toning and getting a nice calorie burn in there as well. Love your blog….been reading it for about a year now. Keep up the great work. You are so inspirational! Your blog, as well as Caitlyn’s, Meghan’s, and Kelly’s inspired me to start racing. I just did my first 5K in June. Can’t wait to hit the ones I signed up for this fall!

49 ellie August 18, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I think maybe somebody else mentioned this but Jillian has a new “Shred” DVD coming out in a couple of weeks that uses either a kettle bell or a single weight. I saw it on Amazon today and it looks interesting!

50 Natalie (The Sweets Life) August 18, 2010 at 4:04 pm

hmm I just read a kettleball workout in one of my fitness magazines…I think it might’ve been Women’s Health or just Health magazine. Either way, it looked like a good one!

51 modernation August 18, 2010 at 4:50 pm

There is a new Kettlebell workout in the latest issue of Women’s Health. I have always wanted to try it, too and am thinking of buying a Kettlebell for home. You can also download the WH workout to your iPod. It seemed like a very doable and not too complicated.

52 Abby August 18, 2010 at 11:41 pm

This month’s issue of Women’s Health has a decent-looking workout for kettlebells!

{ 1 trackback }